HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ultimate no-no: (Insert no-no)

Old
10-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Ultimate no-no: (Insert no-no)

I did a bad thing tonight and I felt really bad. Goalies were warming up before pickup. Goalie took about 3 shots from the dudes to my right (I was on the left side of the blue line when looking at the goalie), and turned his head towards me. I wound up, head down, and ripped a slap shot aiming far, upper corner. Just so happens, the goalie decides to take a breather, turns to his left, and takes my shot to his side/back leg. It didnt look like it felt good. He went to the locker room.

I skated off and apologized. It was my fault for assuming and not getting the nod. He had already vented to someone else still getting ready. I know it didnt feel good, I felt bad and needed to vent.

(My slap shot is really the only thing I can put a lot of force on and put it where I want. I'm sure it didnt look good. It b-lined it for him.)

My penance is over. Thanks. Tell your stories of no-no's...

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Warming up the goalie is about loosening him up and giving him a feel for the puck.

Blasting slappers at him, picking corners, shooting at his head is bad form.

Put the pucks away. I'm gonna a bag skate you until you beg for mercy...

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, always wait until the goalie looks at you in warmups, and aim low.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yep, always wait until the goalie looks at you in warmups, and aim low.

well yeah. his head and body faced me and then its like he decided to skate around in the crease. I hot him mid thigh.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Blueshockey2*

Cup checks, spears, etc.

There's 2 "hoosier" twins that play in our B league on Sunday, they are dirty, they will slash,hack,cup check and spear you for no reason, they love to play the body but as soon as you touch them it's on

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Concussed

vCash: 272
Well, I have a few.

First no-no for me - don't wind up and take huge slap shots during warm-ups if you can't put the puck on net. Sometimes we warm up with the "montreal" drill deal which is basically just a cross ice pass and then skate out to the blue line, turn back toward the net, get the pass and take a shot on net and go to the other corner. It never fails that I'll get pelted in the back of the leg or knee while I'm trying to find a puck in the corner, because some guy on my team took a bad angle slap shot that went 5 feet wide and straight into the corner. Kind of the same thing applies if you get out on the ice before the goalie, don't be taking slap shots while guys are skating behind the net trying to get their legs going.

Second, kind of a no brainer for me - don't take out a guys feet if your racing in the corner for a loose puck. Broke a leg that way in highschool hockey.

Third, don't argue with the refs if you get called for an obvious penalty. It just makes you look like an idiot. Bonus idiot points for trying to fight with a ref.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Had a guy on my team that always practiced slapshots in warmup. Did just what you said, buried his head and blasted it. I'm a forward, I was just doing a loop of the zone and was out by the blueline. He was slapping pucks from one side of the ice to the other and he drilled me in the forearm.

Big no-nos for me in a beer league are hacking someone with your stick, especially in an unpadded area. That always ticked me off, even moreso than if someone had punched me.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Big no no for me is guys who buy brand new equipment for playoffs. Had one guy who was an OK player who decided to try a new curve for playoffs. He then went out there and every time the puck touched his stick it would roll off killing any possible scoring opportunities and leading to turnovers whenever the puck came his way. 1 and done. If you want to buy new equipment do it before the season starts and if you need a new blade late into the season stick to the same frickin curve. If you're a moron and deadset on getting new equipment then go to pickup a few times.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:38 PM
noobman

In warmup, I always just shoot the pucks at the goalie's pads, blocker, or glove. If he doesn't move to make the stop and just deflects it, I know he's in the zone. When they're taking your shots, they're just trying to get a feel for the puck.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

As a goalie:

-Warms ups are not for you to practice picking corners. Shoot a hard shot into the goalie. Let him feel the puck. The net isn't going to move on you during the game, you know where it's at.

-No triple dekes in warmups. Literally I've seen players come down on me for my first shot and do triple dekes. Are you freaking kidding me?

-No slapshots from the slot. Your never going to have time to wind up for a full slap shot in the slot. Why are you practicing it?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Concussed

vCash: 272
I'd imagine warm ups for most goalies are terrifying in beer leagues and pick up games. You have no idea who is paying attention and who isn't, and there's 50 pucks on the ice you have to keep an eye out for. Reading this thread has actually made me feel a little guilty.

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

also to be fair, it's not like I skated right up to within 10 feet of the guy and ripped one. I was on the blue line.

Old
10-01-2010, 07:53 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
As a goalie:

-Warms ups are not for you to practice picking corners. Shoot a hard shot into the goalie. Let him feel the puck. The net isn't going to move on you during the game, you know where it's at.

-No triple dekes in warmups. Literally I've seen players come down on me for my first shot and do triple dekes. Are you freaking kidding me?

-No slapshots from the slot. Your never going to have time to wind up for a full slap shot in the slot. Why are you practicing it?
I know a guy who does all of these things in warmup. The worst is that, when you don't score on the goalie in warmup, he starts taunting you. Like really, wtf?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:25 PM
gluvhand

Also a goalie and agree with what's been posted. My biggest gripe is team-mates trying to kill me in warm-ups with shots they will NEVER get off in a game. I realize my warm-up is their's too but hurting me or pissing me off isn't helping anybody. Sorry for the rant. I know return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 12:07 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I was talking to a guy before warmups before pickup and then went into the net. His buddy proceeds to skate in and blast a slapshot at my head from between the circles. The guy I was talking to immediately went to his buddy and told him not to do that and I hear the guy go "I want to score." I was mad but when I heard that I just found it really really funny and laughed it off.

I also hate constant breakaways in warmups and no actual shots. Once in awhile is fine, but I really don't feel like having to look at your "sick dekes" over and over and over and ooooover again.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Tonight I played in a league game for a team needing players but for a few divisions below where I should be playing. It was weird to coast around and focus purely on passing but I liked it. I'm not much of a shooter (my beer league team tells me to shoot more), and I usually prefer passing more in pick up and whatnot. I have pretty much a slap shot I can get off when-where ever and a deceptive-released wrister.

I took one shot, and that was on an unintended breakaway. I just threw it on net from far out. I wanted assists. I only picked up the scoring chances when my sub team had only a goal lead. The other team had a ringer and I made sure to play him normal.

Long story short, I didn't want to be THAT guy.

Old
10-02-2010, 09:23 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Plus, you never know when that goalie you're showing off in front of during warmups will be on the opposing team. Use the warmups for getting warm and save your best moves for when they count.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 02:28 AM
haayward

I'm always the guy who scoops the pucks out of the net when moving drill to drill in warmups. I HATE when people shoot the puck with me standing looking into the net in the crease, been hit countless times and its the biggest piss off. Seriously, head up when you shoot !

haayward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I was talking to a guy before warmups before pickup and then went into the net. His buddy proceeds to skate in and blast a slapshot at my head from between the circles. The guy I was talking to immediately went to his buddy and told him not to do that and I hear the guy go "I want to score." I was mad but when I heard that I just found it really really funny and laughed it off.

I also hate constant breakaways in warmups and no actual shots. Once in awhile is fine, but I really don't feel like having to look at your "sick dekes" over and over and over and ooooover again.
I was watching a team warming up a couple of weeks ago and you could tell the Keeper was getting visibly annoyed with his teammates going for constant 1 on 1s with him that when one of the more "showy" forwards came to him and went to deke the keeper dived right on the puck and slid across the ice taking the forward off his feet who proceeded to slide into the goal. The forward got up and started mouthing off at the keeper, The Keeper just smiled at him, dropped the puck at his feet and replied "maybe you should try taking a shot next time then"

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Tonight I played in a league game for a team needing players but for a few divisions below where I should be playing. It was weird to coast around and focus purely on passing but I liked it. I'm not much of a shooter (my beer league team tells me to shoot more), and I usually prefer passing more in pick up and whatnot. I have pretty much a slap shot I can get off when-where ever and a deceptive-released wrister.

I took one shot, and that was on an unintended breakaway. I just threw it on net from far out. I wanted assists. I only picked up the scoring chances when my sub team had only a goal lead. The other team had a ringer and I made sure to play him normal.

Long story short, I didn't want to be THAT guy.
Played a game with "THAT" guy last night. Ex-Dub/Junior player and the ego to match. This is a guy who could totally dish the puck to other guys but rarely did. Pretty much every time the puck touched his stick, it was shot into the net. It's not even like he seemed to enjoy scoring, which I can understand. First game of the year so hopefully it was just to get a feel, but oy.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Blueland89

Being the guy that treats a pck-up game like the stanley cup.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
PDX Coyotes

Our D-man scored a goal in our last game... on our own net. *facepalms*

Beer League no-no: Passing through the slot during a breakout. We call that a "beer pass" because the guilty player has to bring the beer for the next game.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Greenmachine9172

ACting like you have game when you do not. Was watching a bunch of buddies warm up before a game and the opposite Goalie comes out of the locker room with a superman cape. He proceeds to skate around the rink twice before going to the goal for warm ups. Looses the cap before the start of the game then proceeds to give up 6 goals.

Greenmachine9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Coyotes View Post

Beer League no-no: Passing through the slot during a breakout. We call that a "beer pass" because the guilty player has to bring the beer for the next game.
You play with Dan Boyle oh Danny boy what has happened to you

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Coyotes View Post
Easy killer. I did that two weeks ago, there was a pile up along the wall near the faceoff dot, I went to throw it around the boards to get it out and when I spun to clear it a guy hit me from behind knocking me off balance and somehow I spun right at my goalie and sniped it short side.

Almost did it yesterday too, a shot came in from the point on the PK, goalie made the save with his blocker, puck went straight up in the air and I went to glove it down and was ran into while I was in the process of gloving it down and it hit the tip of my glove and fell right to the goalies feet

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote