HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky Best Option as C for 1st Line

Old
10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
I think Dubi is better suited to LW.

Brooks' article isn't so much about Dubi but about our lack of viable options at 1st line center. Not his best article but I've seen worse from him ("Rozsival belongs in Hartford instead of Gilroy!!").

There is certainly cause for concern with Christensen's consistency and confidence issues, and Stepan is only a rookie. However, I would opt to try Anisimov as 1st line center over Dubi. But I think Torts is hesitant to put him there because Anisimov seemed overmatched when he played on the 1st line last season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
HAPPY HOUR

I agree with the move to wing, but haven't seen much in a few games this pre-season that have shown me much. He seems a little hesitant so far. I think he'll be ok though.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'll take Christensen as the top center. I like Dubinsky better as a winger.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'll take Christensen as the top center. I like Dubinsky better as a winger.
At this point, I think its Christensen's job to lose. I like Dubinsky better at LW, but I also think he'd inevitably do a better job than Christensen, whose game I absolutely hate about 95% of the time hes on the ice.

Stepan has earned a spot on this team, but it should not be on the first line. He's not ready for that kind of consistent grind/pressure, and anyone who thinks he is should seriously re-evaluate.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
To me, that's just oversimplifying it. At some point someone on the coaching staff or front office have to pull him aside and focus him.
I would agree, and I think it makes the most sense for that focus be a power forward winger. I think everyone keeps holding out hope that he can be this great play-making center, but it's just not there. He's best suited to play the wing, and use his size as his advantage. He has scoring ability, but he's no sniper.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
ThirdEye

I have no confidence in Dubinsky centering the top line. Based on what I've read (don't know if it's true or not), Dubinsky has a pretty big ego. That's alright sometimes - when your skills actually match up to it. His don't

He is not talentless, but he doesn't see the game the same way as top players. He just doesn't have much hockey sense. Frolov and Gaborik are much smarter players than him

I don't think Anisimov belongs there either, but they could give it a shot I guess. I'm pretty sure they tried him with Gaborik several times last season and it didn't work out. I think Anisimov is mentally and physically a little too slow to play with Gaborik who is a very heady player. I'm sure it's not going to end in disaster, but I just don't think Anisimov is the right person to play with Gabby. On the other hand, I think he might work well with Frolov, but the you will have to take him off the top line or force Anisimov unto the first

Honestly, I think Stepan is the only player who has the capacity to play with those two guys and Tortorella knows it, but he is probably weighing the pros and cons right now of giving a 20 year old with just about no pro experience one of the most important positions in the NHL.

Guess we'll have to wait and see I guess. But again, Dubinsky hasn't had a very good preseason and imo needs to show us a lot more if he expects the coach to even consider putting him there. My view is that he should be kept at LW permanently

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
haveandare

I say put Christensen there and if he's doing poorly, then have this conversation. I don't see the need for it now except that Brooks needs to sell papers.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Pizza

Comments by Dubi I read somewhere may indicate his desire to still prove himself at center even though Torts maintains he will be at LW.

He seemed a bit distracted this pre-season. I'm beginning to wonder about him. I'm hoping he gets off to a really fast start.

He will be the most interesting Ranger to watch this season IMO.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
XLJ

I kind of agree with Brooks. Dubinsky is a better player than Christensen and Anisimov is too. I rather have one of them play on the first line instead of Christensen.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 252
If this was going to happen, don't you think they would have tried it at some point during the preseason? Dubinsky is much better off playing wing.

It's going to be Christensen starting the season as 1st line center.

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

i have no problem with EC as the top center. he'd be my guy as well. if he fails we start looking at the deadline for a replacement. in the meatime i think between frolov and gabs he'll be fine. i love the depth on the other lines personally. love the AA line love the stepan line. we're not going to be a one line team this year.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

christensen will start on line 1 by default.

arty will center line 2 and flip flop with stepan for a bit.

stepan will center line 3 to start

stepan will get a ton of pp time (more than ec btw) with fro and gaby where hell put up alot of points and turn alot of heads.

and derek stepan will get alot of looks on the pk until drury returns.

by christmas, derek stepan will be centering line 1 and it will look like this.

stepan
arty/ec
ec/arty
drury

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 10-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:35 PM
nycbruins*

Haven't been up to date on Rangers' camp so far.

Just wondering some opinions from Rangers' fans on what the lines might look like opening night.

Thanks

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I have no confidence in Dubinsky centering the top line. Based on what I've read (don't know if it's true or not), Dubinsky has a pretty big ego. That's alright sometimes - when your skills actually match up to it. His don't

He is not talentless, but he doesn't see the game the same way as top players. He just doesn't have much hockey sense. Frolov and Gaborik are much smarter players than him

I don't think Anisimov belongs there either, but they could give it a shot I guess. I'm pretty sure they tried him with Gaborik several times last season and it didn't work out. I think Anisimov is mentally and physically a little too slow to play with Gaborik who is a very heady player. I'm sure it's not going to end in disaster, but I just don't think Anisimov is the right person to play with Gabby. On the other hand, I think he might work well with Frolov, but the you will have to take him off the top line or force Anisimov unto the first

Honestly, I think Stepan is the only player who has the capacity to play with those two guys and Tortorella knows it, but he is probably weighing the pros and cons right now of giving a 20 year old with just about no pro experience one of the most important positions in the NHL.

Guess we'll have to wait and see I guess. But again, Dubinsky hasn't had a very good preseason and imo needs to show us a lot more if he expects the coach to even consider putting him there. My view is that he should be kept at LW permanently
a 20 year old that is by far the best C on the team, already....

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
a 20 year old that is by far the best C on the team, already....
Yes, in one aspect of the game. I dont think anyones arguing that Stepan is the best playmaker this team has, but what about all the other factors?

Whats the sense in sending him out there as an inexperienced 20 year old to get shredded by Crosby and the other top centers in this league?

Start Stepan on the third line and give him ample powerplay time to get him adjusted to the league.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote