HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Face-off Strategy

Old
10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Face-off Strategy

For two games now, I've played center and taken face-offs. Last week I did well just timing the puck drop and going with that. Won over close to 80%.

After a couple today, I noticed that wasn't working and I was getting tied up and bodied. I decided to see if I could get away with a slash on the stick to move it away and then draw the puck with the backhand. Saw much better success. Interchanged it with forehand clean wins and kept them guess.

What's your strategy?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Well tip #1 for any beginners out there, as this isn't necessarily obvious to inexperienced players, is that you watch the refs hand releasing the puck and not the faceoff dot. While I plan winger so faceoffs are rare, it still took me 2 years to figure this out . Now with that using my high level twitch reflex I can win my share of draws rather than lose them.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
shoeshine boy

cheat. cheat til the ref tells you to stop. seriously, that works pretty well for me. in the beer leagues I play in there are only a few refs who will pay that much attention to what a center is doing.
the main way I cheat is that I rarely have my stick all the way down on the ice before the ref drops the puck. this helps me win a lot of faceoffs.
the other piece of advice is to try different things. I used to have trouble against left-handed centers but I found that by getting ultra-low it increased my chances of winning the faceoff by a significant amount.
finally, if you go up against a center that you just can't seem to beat then just start trying to tie him up. if your wingers know what you're trying to do they can swoop in and steal the puck.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
cheat. cheat til the ref tells you to stop. seriously, that works pretty well for me. in the beer leagues I play in there are only a few refs who will pay that much attention to what a center is doing.
the main way I cheat is that I rarely have my stick all the way down on the ice before the ref drops the puck. this helps me win a lot of faceoffs.
the other piece of advice is to try different things. I used to have trouble against left-handed centers but I found that by getting ultra-low it increased my chances of winning the faceoff by a significant amount.
finally, if you go up against a center that you just can't seem to beat then just start trying to tie him up. if your wingers know what you're trying to do they can swoop in and steal the puck.
What he said.

Also, if the ref isn't really paying attention, try to to avoid "squaring up". you can get more leverage quicker this way

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote