HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fedotenko Signs (1yr / $1MM)

Old
10-04-2010, 01:55 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.000m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Tim Kennedy ($0.550m) / Todd White ($2.375m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.480m)
/ Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Just noticed that the Rangers don't have any forwards with a cap hit of more than $3-million but less than $7.05 million. That's a $4-million-plus range where no forward falls.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Excellent. I like this signing.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:02 PM
XLJ

I was wrong about him. He had a very good preseason. Hopefully he can play like that in the regular season. If he can score 15-20 goals that would be great.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Pretty meh on this, i thought he would be around $700k but its Sather we are talking about.

He earned his place i suppose, but i knew from the first day of him being invited he would get a contract. He's one of Torts boys so i am not really sure performance really mattered.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
What exactly is high reward?

200607 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 80 12 20 32 52 4 0 0 0 4
200708 New York Islanders NHL 67 16 17 33 40
200809 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 65 16 23 39 44 24 7 7 14 4
200910 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 80 11 19 30 50

Are you trying to tell me you'd rather have Ruslan Fedotenko for those number instead of letting someone like Kennedy or Weise or Grachev or MZA play?

Yes, I understand MZA needs to adjust to the NA style/rink. Yes I understand Grachev is only 20 and still does not appear ready.

But hell, I'd rather them in the lineup every night over Fedotenko if we're talking about him only scoring 30 points.

Hell, Kennedy had 26 last year.

I just don't see the point of this.
You just love to be negative. High reward does not mean I expect him to put up 50 points. He deserves to be here. He played just as good as anyone in preseason regardless of the fact that they are exhibition games. He led the team with 7 points, he worked hard, hustled every shift, went into corners, stood in front of the net at times, was physical. We signed him for ONE YEAR FOR ONE MILLION. Thats a good deal. That is one I can live with.

Grachev and MZA had every chance to beat him out for a spot. If they had deserved to be here they wouldve shown a little more than they did. And that is not to say MZA was bad because he absolutely was not, however, fedotenko was better. Grachev was disappointing imo. I'm not worried about his development, but he certainly needs to show something in the AHL first. He was given every opportunity as well to make this team and he just did not show anything. It is not like Fedotenko had a contract and those two guys were up against the odds. Feds was here on a tryout basis and could've easily been cut if one of the other two had been better and I dont mean in the sense of point totals because that isnt everything. MZA/Grachev could've just had a couple points and made the team over fedotenko. The fact is MZA needs work in the AHL first and grachev just didnt have a good camp, plain and simple.

I'm sorry you are so damn negative and everything this franchise does is wrong, or at least you make it seem that way. This was the right move. I'm not saying torts is the reason fedotenko has performed so well but maybe it does have something to do with it. The guy worked his ass off. If he doesnt do well we waive him and give MZA/Grachev/whoever is deserving a chance to replace him a month down the line. Putting MZA/Grachev in the AHL instead of having them on the opening night roster which they did not earn is not going to stunt their development.

Kennedy is irrelevant imo because he has a contract and is being looked at as a Center.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Pretty meh on this, i thought he would be around $700k but its Sather we are talking about.

He earned his place i suppose, but i knew from the first day of him being invited he would get a contract. He's one of Torts boys so i am not really sure performance really mattered.
Eh....hes always made around 2.5m per season, last season he took a pay cut just to STAY with the pens (a few of their guys did this, which is a good thing for a club IMO). I couldnt see him going from 1.8m to 700k, 1 mil is about right...he deserves it. You cant say enough for the experience that he brings with the team, you cant fill this team with rookies and just HOPE they develop.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Depending on how Drury's recovery is going, I could see White being waived once Drury is ready to go. As long as Stepan shows he can hang in the first few regular season games, White will be gone. Rangers will probably go with Stepan, Ansimov, Drury, and Boyle as the centers.

The Rangers will be using the bonus cushion for at least a couple of weeks. I don't seem them using it for the entire season, though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Does this mean, with White and what appears to be Prospal gone, the Rangers will have approximately $4.855 million more in cap space?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

If it had to be done, one year makes it tolerable.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

please remember all this love the minute ftank loses his check- while looking clueless, and his guys skates in a roofs one on hank.

cause its gonna happen. hes not much of a 2 way player anymore.

until then, im liking the guy at 1 mil

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Drury skated today by himself.

Quote:
#NYRangers say Chris Drury (broken left index finger) skated on his own again today
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/status/26375225324

If you look at the calendar,4 weeks is October 18.

If its 4 weeks on the dot,Drury could return for the 10/18 at home against the Avs. He would have missed 3 games. 10/9-Sabres,10/11-Islanders,10/15-Leafs. After the Avs game,its 10/21-Leafs again. The Rangers play TO 3 times in their first 10 games. Same thing happened last season.

186 day season. White's daily cap is $12,768.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I was actually rooting against him when we first brought him in, but the dude looked good. I'm happy for him, and hope that he can carry that solid play into the regular season.
You read my mind word for word.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You just love to be negative. High reward does not mean I expect him to put up 50 points. He deserves to be here. He played just as good as anyone in preseason regardless of the fact that they are exhibition games. He led the team with 7 points, he worked hard, hustled every shift, went into corners, stood in front of the net at times, was physical. We signed him for ONE YEAR FOR ONE MILLION. Thats a good deal. That is one I can live with.

Grachev and MZA had every chance to beat him out for a spot. If they had deserved to be here they wouldve shown a little more than they did. And that is not to say MZA was bad because he absolutely was not, however, fedotenko was better. Grachev was disappointing imo. I'm not worried about his development, but he certainly needs to show something in the AHL first. He was given every opportunity as well to make this team and he just did not show anything. It is not like Fedotenko had a contract and those two guys were up against the odds. Feds was here on a tryout basis and could've easily been cut if one of the other two had been better and I dont mean in the sense of point totals because that isnt everything. MZA/Grachev could've just had a couple points and made the team over fedotenko. The fact is MZA needs work in the AHL first and grachev just didnt have a good camp, plain and simple.

I'm sorry you are so damn negative and everything this franchise does is wrong, or at least you make it seem that way. This was the right move. I'm not saying torts is the reason fedotenko has performed so well but maybe it does have something to do with it. The guy worked his ass off. If he doesnt do well we waive him and give MZA/Grachev/whoever is deserving a chance to replace him a month down the line. Putting MZA/Grachev in the AHL instead of having them on the opening night roster which they did not earn is not going to stunt their development.

Kennedy is irrelevant imo because he has a contract and is being looked at as a Center.

If you think I'm always negative then you selective read my posts, and that's your problem not mine.

You're also the one who said low risk/high reward. Not me. Your only comment in response was, "High reward does not mean I expect him to put up 50 points."

What exactly does it mean then?

I think what this says is we're paying $1 million to a player who is going to score 30 points this year, while we could've been given those minutes to younger player.

I much rather would've gone with any of our young players over this. A thirty point ceiling is just not enough for me to waste another contract/roster spot on.

My apologies that a dissenting opinion makes you so upset.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Worth noting, of course is that this is a player whos very best years came under Tortorella. Around 20 goals a season with one fantastic playoff performance.

What is the loss here? We don't play Zuccarello to start the season? Does MZA even deserve to be an NHLer yet, since he was far and away outplayed by Fedotenko in camp? My brain says no.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
If you think I'm always negative then you selective read my posts, and that's your problem not mine.

You're also the one who said low risk/high reward. Not me. Your only comment in response was, "High reward does not mean I expect him to put up 50 points."

I think what this says is we're paying $1 million to a player who is going to score 30 points this year, while we could've been given those minutes to younger player.

I much rather would've gone with any of our young players over this. A thirty point ceiling is just not enough for me to waste another contract/roster spot on.

This is what i thought in the beginning but it seems its not a popular opinion around here, i too would have preferred to give his spot to a youngster.

I am just going to wait and see how he gets on but i dont see how after years of being a 40pt player anything will be any different this year.

Old
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
We're trying to build a young, competitive team here. Young AND competitive. I don't want to "give" a spot to anyone, just because they're young. Let MZA and Grachev go to Hartford and show they deserve a look at the NHL level. Handing someone a spot just because they're young is stupid, IMO.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:08 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
What exactly is high reward?

2006–07 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 80 12 20 32 52 4 0 0 0 4
2007–08 New York Islanders NHL 67 16 17 33 40 — — — — —
2008–09 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 65 16 23 39 44 24 7 7 14 4
2009–10 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 80 11 19 30 50

Are you trying to tell me you'd rather have Ruslan Fedotenko for those number instead of letting someone like Kennedy or Weise or Grachev or MZA play?

Yes, I understand MZA needs to adjust to the NA style/rink. Yes I understand Grachev is only 20 and still does not appear ready.

But hell, I'd rather them in the lineup every night over Fedotenko if we're talking about him only scoring 30 points.

Hell, Kennedy had 26 last year.

I just don't see the point of this.
Those 4 kids did nothing to prevent this from happening.

Kennedy is a nice little versatile player that will probably cash in with an additional 15-20+ points again this season while playing on the 4th/3rd line. However, the other three did NOTHING to show that they deserved a spot on the roster this year and while I am in favor of the youth movement, I am not in favor of giving someone a spot just because they were young.

To me, that makes NO SENSE.

Fedotenko came in here to keep alive his NHL career and wiped the ice clean with all 4 youngsters you mentioned.

If anything, those kids should look at what Feds did this camp and come in next year and try to emulate that.

Playing kids that were in way over their heads just to placate the youth movement would be more damaging to the long-term health and benefit of the franchise than signing a 3rd/2nd liner for 1 year.

And, who's to say that he only scores 30 points? The chemistry he has shown with Stepan could mean a nice 40+ point season from him AND Stepan, somehting neither of the 4 mentioned are capable of doing for Stepan.

THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE TO THIS MOVE....NONE.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
We're trying to build a young, competitive team here. Young AND competitive. I don't want to "give" a spot to anyone, just because they're young. Let MZA and Grachev go to Hartford and show they deserve a look at the NHL level. Handing someone a spot just because they're young is stupid, IMO.
I was thinking more that Kennedy could have filled his spot and not used another contract up and $1m

frolov-Christensen-gaborik
dubinsky-anisimov-callahan
kennedy-stepan-avery
boogaard-boyle-prust
ir: drury, prospal

isnt a big difference from

frolov-Christensen-gaborik
dubinsky-anisimov-callahan
fedetenko-stepan-avery
boogaard-boyle-prust
ir: drury, prospal

The problem we have now is when Drury comes back who goes?

Old
10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Worth noting, of course is that this is a player whos very best years came under Tortorella. Around 20 goals a season with one fantastic playoff performance.

What is the loss here? We don't play Zuccarello to start the season? Does MZA even deserve to be an NHLer yet, since he was far and away outplayed by Fedotenko in camp? My brain says no.
Worth noting, of course is that that was 5 years ago.

I agree that it's not detrimental for MZA to start in the A, but it is just my opinion that I'd rather the 22 year old with tons of talent get a shot to score 30 points, instead of the retread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
This is what i thought in the beginning but it seems its not a popular opinion around here, i too would have preferred to give his spot to a youngster.

I am just going to wait and see how he gets on but i dont see how after years of being a 40pt player anything will be any different this year.
He's only scored 40 points once in his career and that was 41.

He's a thirty point player.

Quote:
I don't want to either, but I also don't buy this notion that MZA was brutal this pre-season (he also wasn't given the entire slot of games like Fedotenko was).

Handing someone a spot because they scored 7 points in 6 pre-season games when their career shows they're nothing more than a thirty point player, and they couldn't produce last year playing with Sid and Malkin, is stupid IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Those 4 kids did nothing to prevent this from happening.

Kennedy is a nice little versatile player that will probably cash in with an additional 15-20+ points again this season while playing on the 4th/3rd line. However, the other three did NOTHING to show that they deserved a spot on the roster this year and while I am in favor of the youth movement, I am not in favor of giving someone a spot just because they were young.

To me, that makes NO SENSE.

Fedotenko came in here to keep alive his NHL career and wiped the ice clean with all 4 youngsters you mentioned.

If anything, those kids should look at what Feds did this camp and come in next year and try to emulate that.

Playing kids that were in way over their heads just to placate the youth movement would be more damaging to the long-term health and benefit of the franchise than signing a 3rd/2nd liner for 1 year.

And, who's to say that he only scores 30 points? The chemistry he has shown with Stepan could mean a nice 40+ point season from him AND Stepan, somehting neither of the 4 mentioned are capable of doing for Stepan.

THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE TO THIS MOVE....NONE.
Those 4 kids weren't given the same chance he was. I don't think MZA was as bad as some people want to make it out. I saw the type of talent that I expected from him.

Grachev has always been the type to need chemistry. Pre-season is just not a good barometer of his play to me.

Kennedy is only part of my argument because I'd still rather see a young kid get those minutes over Ruslan Fedotenko.

Who's to say he only scores 30 points? I'm going to go out on a limb and trust his track record or what he's been his entire career.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
CM PUNK

one thing that i think has been overlooked here is that the line of avery-stepan-fedotenko looked fantastic during preseason. so instead of looking at it as 'why couldn't <insert kid> get that spot instead'? i'm looking at it as starting the year on a 3rd line between avery and fedotenko, who he showed chemistry with, gives stepan the best situation to succeed and adjust to the nhl game...

that line probably gets broken up when drury returns but for now thats a good spot for dstep to start with

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
They need to send 2 players down or trade them. Right now, with Drury and Prospal they have 25 players I believe.
So really they don't need to send anyone down.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
one thing that i think has been overlooked here is that the line of avery-stepan-fedotenko looked fantastic during preseason. so instead of looking at it as 'why couldn't <insert kid> get that spot instead'? i'm looking at it as starting the year on a 3rd line between avery and fedotenko, who he showed chemistry with, gives stepan the best situation to succeed and adjust to the nhl game...

that line probably gets broken up when drury returns but for now thats a good spot for dstep to start with
yea because players who are hurt dont have to work themselves to get back into the lineup. im not a baseball fan but didnt the mets insert a player who has been hurt and it didnt work for them. start drury on the 4th line and go from there. if it isnt broken dont fix it.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
couldn't produce last year playing with Sid and Malkin, is stupid IMO.
Feds wasn't playing with Sid and Malkin last year.....just because they were on the same team doesnt mean they play together....

Thats like someone coming to our team and saying hey, why did boyle only put up 20 points last year when he was playing with gaborik.....

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:

Yea but now all youre doing is talking about points...what about the other things? What about knowing what position to be in? What about knowing when to take a chance and when to not? What about turning the puck over from rookie mistakes?? What about taking a bad penalty? What about team play? Theres a lot of things that Feds can do that you cant just say "Oh yea that Rookie will do that!". Sure a lot of guys in our youth group can make up the 20-30 points but Feds has another upside as well...his experience. And who knows if he goes out and has a better season. He looked downright GREAT 2 years ago, espeically during the Cup playoffs...but was awful last year, expect a bounceback from what he showed us this season. We CANNOT just turn around and throw rookies out there...There is a team like that around here I think. Oh yea the Wolf pack!

Old
10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Feds wasn't playing with Sid and Malkin last year.....just because they were on the same team doesnt mean they play together....

Thats like someone coming to our team and saying hey, why did boyle only put up 20 points last year when he was playing with gaborik.....
Ya I believe he played on the 3rd line with Jordan staal.