HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-11 Lineup Projections

Old
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
MrJoshua

vCash: 500
I hope that when SK's foot heals he can force his way into the lineup on the Legwand line, bumping Ward down to the fourth line and Smithson to the bench. A fourth line of Ward, Goc and Tootoo would have a lot of energy and with Ward and Goc there would be some potential to contribute on the scoresheet as well. I think Smithson's penalty killing fell off last year, and SK is supposed to be a solid penalty killer, isn't he? He's also supposed to be defensively responsible so he wouldn't hurt the Legwand line's defensive game. He'd just boost its offensive capabilities.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:18 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I'm concerned with what I see right now.
Agreed. I would really like to see a Smithson-Goc-Ward 4th line. I truly believe this line would be a great defensive line while providing some pop.

From what I see, Trotz is splitting up the speed guys. Putting at least ONE defensively responsible player on each line and plug and play for the last forward spot.

I REALLY detest Dumont on the 3rd line with Ward and Legwand. It's like Trotz is playing 'one of these things is not like the other.'

If the PP is on, the 4th line makes sense with Tootoo out there but if the PP sucks like last year he's a liability.

DO I have a vested interest in SK, you betcha. But rationally, I like the guy's skill set. I would kill to have him on a line with Legwand and Ward. Defensively responsible but with a nice offensive balance.

We shall see. I have a sneaking suspicion that O'Reilly will be on a short leash.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Based on SLake's information.

Old
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I think O'reilly is on that well travelled path trod by many previous marginal prospects. He gets his last chance to prove he belongs here early in the season. By the 20 game mark he will either be playing well enough to stay the whole season or he will be waived.

edit: just fyi Johnson cleared waivers

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
edit: just fyi Johnson cleared waivers
Nearly incomprehensible! He's great, how did that happen?

I don't see why many are knocking the lines because of Ward's spot. On the contrary, knowing that Trotz man-crush on Ward put's him on the top three lines permanently, (expecting him to play fourth line won't and probably shouldn't happen) I'm just giddy it isn't Smithson there.

How many times last year did scoring chances disappear because Smithson had stone hands and couldn't hit an open net or couldn't corral the puck fast enough to send it back to Legwand on a tic tac toe. Too often. I'll give up a little defense for more scoring. Kostitsyn has all the buzz and may play there, but it won't be at the expense of Ward, it'll be Dumont. And we don't really know enough about how Dumont will play there to know if Kostitsyn's an improvement. I think that's a reach actually until he is more familiar with the system. Dumont will be fine there. I expect he'll assist on a number of Wardo goals, bag a few nice ones himself from Legwand, and do ok covering back as well. He's not a true defender but he'll buy in to the philosophy of the line and do ok. They'll score much more than last year at least.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-04-2010 at 01:28 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Nearly incomprehensible! He's great, how did that happen?

I don't see why many are knocking the lines because of Ward's spot. On the contrary, knowing that Trotz man-crush on Ward put's him on the top three lines permanently, (expecting him to play fourth line won't and probably shouldn't happen) I'm just giddy it isn't Smithson there.

How many times last year did scoring chances disappear because Smithson had stone hands and couldn't hit an open net or couldn't corral the puck fast enough to send it back to Legwand on a tic tac toe. Too often. I'll give up a little defense for more scoring. Kostitsyn has all the buzz and may play there, but it won't be at the expense of Ward, it'll be Dumont. And we don't really know enough about how Dumont will play there to know if Kostitsyn's an improvement. I think that's a reach actually until he is more familiar with the system. Dumont will be fine there. I expect he'll assist on a number of Wardo goals, bag a few nice ones himself from Legwand, and do ok covering back as well. He's not a true defender but he'll buy in to the philosophy of the line and do ok. They'll score much more than last year at least.

I'm not knocking the lines due to Ward's spot. I'm knocking the lines because I know what Trotz was aiming for and Ward is not the best solution for that provided that some of Kostitsyn, Andersson, and/or O'Reilly live up to their potential.

As I said above, Trotz is looking for significant scoring from those top three lines and Joel Ward is not a long term answer in that role (but a pretty decent short term solution). Ward is a great fit for a third line that's supposed to be a grinding line that can chip in occasionally. If that's what happens this year, this team is in trouble.

Now, if Kostitsyn or Andersson is destined to be tried in the top nine, pushing Ward back to the fourth line, then the Predators are likely on the right path (if they pan out).

I can see that Dumont is an enigma for Trotz. He's most effective on a scoring, non-two-way, line. To do that though, that likely means bumping Sullivan down in favor of Dumont with O'Reilly and Hornqvist (meaning that 10-15-33 is the other two-way line). That would leave a line of 74/28-11-26 as the other two-way line.

It's not a slam on Ward or Trotz. But injuries and/or the unknown regarding 74 and 28 are forcing Trotz's hand right now. I believe that if Trotz can't rely on one of 74 or 28 before too long, then we'll see a repeat from two seasons ago (when he found out that Jones and Hornqvist were not ready)- a playoff miss.

There are certainly other factors that would prevent that scenario (namely improving both the PP and PK) from unfolding of course, but he's also has to compensate for a blueline that got younger.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
OpenWheel

The line I'm most worried about is whether Hornqvist will be wasted on the O'Reilly line. No beef to protect Hornqvist in any way. He'll be the only Pred jersey near the net.

I was hoping Wilson was going to be with Hornqvist. He'd add strength over Sullivan. (He'd probably make a better center over O'Reilly there if Sullivan stayed on it.) . I'm not sure of that Lombardi line. I've already seen Wilson wide open next to the net rapping the ice trying to get the puck from Erat on a cycle, while Erat twirls one more time. Although after almost no shots against Washington the first two periods the Lombardi line did get some in the third. And they had a few exciting rushes early that failed to produce shots, but could have.

Oh well, other than Ward always being with Legwand, the lines will change in a couple games if they don't work.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
roseyc

I think the best thing for the Preds is to trade O'Reilly and let Wilson play center. We have an abundant amount wingers. What does Sully have left?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Kostitsyn has a fracture in his foot...

http://mobile.twitter.com/bmullenspo...us/26396971400

Lundmark still out with groin strain and Erat sat out today with minor back strain (but is expected to skate tomorrow).

If the Preds put SK on IR, then Andersson makes the team. Johnson still up with the Preds as well despite having cleared waivers this morning. Lundmark will be assigned to Milwaukee sometime this week, but he'll have to clear waivers first...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Kostitsyn has a fracture in his foot...

http://mobile.twitter.com/bmullenspo...us/26396971400

Lundmark still out with groin strain and Erat sat out today with minor back strain (but is expected to skate tomorrow).

If the Preds put SK on IR, then Andersson makes the team. Johnson still up with the Preds as well despite having cleared waivers this morning. Lundmark will be assigned to Milwaukee sometime this week, but he'll have to clear waivers first...
Not what i wanted to hear about SK ........Hopefully he doesnt join the long time IR list.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle13 View Post
Not what i wanted to hear about SK ........Hopefully he doesnt join the long time IR list.
SK actually said tonight (in a few words - he doesn't speak much English) that the injury wouldn't keep him out. Trotz said today he was doubtful for this weekend, but it doesn't appear he'll be heading to IR...

Old
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Seth Lake

Despite being at practice 90 minutes earlier, Aaron Johnson was not at the Meet the Team party tonight. Have a 9:30 AM practice tomorrow, but I'd assume he's heading to Milwaukee either tonight or tomorrow...

Old
10-04-2010, 10:48 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
SK actually said tonight (in a few words - he doesn't speak much English) that the injury wouldn't keep him out. Trotz said today he was doubtful for this weekend, but it doesn't appear he'll be heading to IR...
good to hear

Old
10-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Sensators

do you guys expect halischuk to ever make the team?, I know he was close in jersey..

Sensators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensators View Post
do you guys expect halischuk to ever make the team?, I know he was close in jersey..
This year with our depth, he's been sent to Milwaukee to continue his development, but was making that decision hard on the coaching staff. He'll play in a recall mode this season, but due to the fact he becomes eligible for waivers next year, will likely be looked upon to be a full time player next season.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:06 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

any legs to that thread about us claiming Ersberg? i would be more than happy if we snagged him from LA

Old
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Could someone post the starting lineup or close to it as of today?

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Could someone post the starting lineup or close to it as of today?

My guess.

Old
10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
cool thanks

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle13 View Post
any legs to that thread about us claiming Ersberg? i would be more than happy if we snagged him from LA
No. That was a completely false rumor. Poile said on the radio today that Lindback is our backup

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
c hand 29*

Is Hornqvist gonna get first line time this season? I picked him in my fantasy draft as my second RW because of his great season last year. Is it likely he will repeat?

c hand 29* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornwallcreeper View Post
Is Hornqvist gonna get first line time this season? I picked him in my fantasy draft as my second RW because of his great season last year. Is it likely he will repeat?
He will get first line PP time for sure...

But besides that, it looks like he will be 2nd line with O'Reilly/Legwand/Goc and Sullivan.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:54 PM
tserberis*

What is the line up for tomorrow? Is SK in?

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
What is the line up for tomorrow? Is SK in?
SK Erat and Rinne are all out from what I hear.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote