HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Old Time Fight Night : Ted Irvine 1972 & Steve Vickers 1973

Old
10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Ranger Old Time Fight Night : Ted Irvine 1972 & Steve Vickers 1973

Some rare and high quality video of two Ranger tough guys pre- Fotiu. Vickers won the Calder trophy the year he had this fight.

"Sarge" fights waned as his career went on.

But Ted Irvine (wrestler Chris Jericho's father) could throw em and did his entire career.

Ranger Crisis.com

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Ranger Angst

The era where players were accountable for their actions. Thanks Mouth - had never seen these. Did Magnusson ever win a fight ?

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
eco's bones

I think Magnuson (RIP) might have won one or two. You got to give him credit. He was always ready to take a beating. Vickers was really tough but after the first couple seasons he had a long fuse. He was an excellent player for several years and then things kind of went downhill. Irvine was the prototypical big 3rd line winger grinder--used to play with Stemkowski and MacGregor. 2nd line had Tkachuk and Fairbairn and this guy or that guy from Dave Balon to Gene Carr to Greg Polis to whoever.

Incidentally I think Bobby Orr was the greatest ever to lace them up but maybe I'm just too reactionary.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Leetch66

Awesome Stuff !

Thanks for the awesome videos . It certainly brought back a ton of memories for me a loyal fan of the NYR since 1970 .

LOL...I doubt Langdon would have done very well against Chara today ! Langdon played his Junior hockey here on Prince Edward Island and provided many Sunday afternoons of entertainment during his time here . Again...thanks for the fight videos !!!!!!!!!

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 07:59 PM
chosen

Went off on a Brad Park fights video jag from this jumping-off point. He backed down from no one and went after some of the toughest around even though he wasn't in their weight class. To put it in perspective, imagine if Leetch had gone toe-to-toe with guys like Kocur. Incredible.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:32 PM
trilobyte

Steve Vickers was tough. Women loved him for his looks but he was a real hockey player.
Really, those were special days for hockey. Ted Irvine was one tough SOB (not Shane O'Brien).

As for Brad Park, he should be in the HHOF for his hip-checks alone. He was a maestro. I used to love watching him line up the unsuspecting puck-carrying dupe, then the guy is flipping through the air.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:53 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Let me preface this comment by stating I'm 28 and have only been watching hockey since the '91-'92 season... From all the vintage games I've seen I never knew there was an era where players wore long pants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlIMQ3nAMYY

How long did this go on for? When did it stop?

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Went off on a Brad Park fights video jag from this jumping-off point. He backed down from no one and went after some of the toughest around even though he wasn't in their weight class.
Park and Orr once went at it, and if not mistaken, it was in the 1972 Finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Let me preface this comment by stating I'm 28 and have only been watching hockey since the '91-'92 season... From all the vintage games I've seen I never knew there was an era where players wore long pants:

If you are 28, then coincidentally, they were worn the year you were born. Flyers in 1981-82 and '82-'83 and Hartford Whalers in 1982-83. League outlawed them after the '83 season.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

one the worst and most ridiculous things I'd ever seen were the Flyers trotting out onto the ice in them pants. Horrible,horrible idea.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

It's fun to laugh at the Flyers looking like they're wearing warm-up track pants.

I'd love to see Clarke's reaction when they introduced those things.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
The era where players were accountable for their actions. Thanks Mouth - had never seen these. Did Magnusson ever win a fight ?
dave maloney was our keith magnuson...except not as good as defenseman as magnuson was

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

If you are 28, then coincidentally, they were worn the year you were born. Flyers in 1981-82 and '82-'83 and Hartford Whalers in 1982-83. League outlawed them after the '83 season.
Thanks for the info.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The long pants were called Cooperalls, and yes, I wore them. Mainly because the Providence Friars wore them and I was a mainstay of their hockey camps in the 1980's. They were the hottest thing going....for like 10 months

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
The Mouth

Thanks for all the kind words about me posting the fights. My friend Jay Moran interviewed Vickers about the fight.

This is what "Sarge" said.

You had a fight with Don Marcotte in February of 1973. You knocked him to the ice and you got a pretty good reputation after that. Do you remember that fight?

"Yeah. I've seen it on tape. Took me about 30 years to see it but somebody found it, it's on youtube.com. Yeah, it was just, Walter Tkaczuk had scored and I don't know, I guess he was upset and he kind of just gave me a shove from behind or something out of frustration, 'cause we were lighting them up that night. And I just, you know, dropped my gloves and let's go. I don't think Donnie was a real fighter. But I just got a lucky punch in and he went down. It could've just as easily been me go down. [laughter] I found out no matter how tough you are, there's always somebody out there tougher, no question about that, but I won my fair share of fights."

After that, did they give you a little more respect or distance?

"Yeah, the first couple of years I got into some scraps, you know, I got into a few scuffles and I think once the word gets out that you're capable of handling yourself, then you're kind of left alone. So in those days it didn't matter whether you were…like now they have designated goons, right? But they just fight each other. Like, if you're a goal scorer scoring 30 goals a year and you get into a fight, the goon gets mad at you 'cause that's his job. You're not supposed to, so like I wouldn't have to fight in today's game. Some guys still do, like Shanahan will go up there, he'll take on anybody. But today you don't see the scorers fight at all.

“In those days, guys would help you out if you were in trouble but you had to show that you would fight for yourself too. And if you're getting the worst of it, then they'd jump in and help you out. Today, if you get hit you just go to your goon and say hey, he hit me or else the coach will say did you see what he did to our best player? Or one of our better players? It's your turn. So they just kind of fight each other and cancel each other out, really. I think fighting is necessary because there is a lot of stick work out there, which I don't like. I definitely would wear a helmet, probably a visor, if I played today, today's game, 'cause the sticks are up all the time. There just doesn't seem to be as much respect out there for one another.

"When we played, we didn't wear helmets so if you hit somebody over the head, it didn't matter who he was, he had a stick in his hand, he was going to do the same thing to you so you didn't do it. You know? The old equalizer. And the sticks, you go in the corner, sticks were always down. I look at games against the Flyers in those days and they're nothing compared to the way the game's played today. I got two games in the '74 playoffs here, they were the Broad Street Bullies, they were no big deal. The guys, they finished their checks but of course it was playoffs too and they stuck to hockey but today there's a lot more intimidating people out there today."

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Park and Orr once went at it, and if not mistaken, it was in the 1972 Finals.
Remember it. I don't think either threw a punch. They wrestled out of obligation because they were next to each other when another fight started. It felt like a mutual respect kind of moment.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I have a lot of vintage Rangers Fights on DVD and In my humble opinion Park was tuff but he really didn't win many that are on tape. He did get under Schultz's skin a few times and it was funny knowing he had to deal with filthy so many times in a season and the Cat still traded away so much toughness

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Steve Vickers was tough. Women loved him for his looks but he was a real hockey player.
Really, those were special days for hockey. Ted Irvine was one tough SOB (not Shane O'Brien).

As for Brad Park, he should be in the HHOF for his hip-checks alone. He was a maestro. I used to love watching him line up the unsuspecting puck-carrying dupe, then the guy is flipping through the air.
Sarge is a year older then me and yeah, the girls were all over that back in the day. Steve was macho. He didn't look like a pretty boy (ie Duguay).

I most admired Vickers as a hockey player. He was tough and had mad skilz. I met him at an alumni function a few years ago. He's a good guy.

My most favorite Ranger of the era was Walt Tkaczuk. Sooooo underrated and under appreciated.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
Sarge is a year older then me and yeah, the girls were all over that back in the day. Steve was macho. He didn't look like a pretty boy (ie Duguay).

I most admired Vickers as a hockey player. He was tough and had mad skilz. I met him at an alumni function a few years ago. He's a good guy.

My most favorite Ranger of the era was Walt Tkaczuk. Sooooo underrated and under appreciated.
Vickers was good until he put on a helmet. Then he went south.

Tkaczuk was good when we called him Tay-chuk. When he corrected the pronunciation he went south too.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Tkaczuk my favorite player of all time. Little know fact he delivered dynamite to mines in the office season to help with family bills. Today he would get 4.5 millon a yr. He was a animal on both sides of the puck Walter cried after we lost in 79 and I still hate Dryden for that,

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote