HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best up and coming team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2010, 11:54 PM
  #26
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
The Lightning don't have the goaltending, and they can't afford it with how much salary they have tied up in their forward corps.

I like the Islanders going forward in the east. They're still a couple years away, but they have some young talent, room to spend money, and should snag another couple of top picks along the way.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
  #27
NewEnglandSportsFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worcester MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Bruins/LA/Colorado.

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:02 AM
  #28
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 500
I think it is clearly the Kings. They have a far better match between young explosive talent and capable vets than Colorado, Tampa and the Isles, and they spend the necessary coin to have a stacked roster.

Phoenix have a very competitive team and some great young talent, but they're short of the elite skill that makes a difference come crunch time, and of course there are those financial concerns about them getting the room to really add such players.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
  #29
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,463
vCash: 500
LA

Tampa
Bruins

I've always liked Kings for reasons unknown to me and I'd like to see them do well.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
  #30
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator
 
CamFan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,271
vCash: 500
I feel it is Tampa

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:07 AM
  #31
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,374
vCash: 50
I'll toss Columbus into the mix. They've got some good young players on the cusp of breaking out.

LA, St. Louis are two more that come to mind.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:29 AM
  #32
bokchoy
Registered User
 
bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Kings for sure.

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
  #33
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 27,101
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
L.A. is already kind of up there, cracking 100 points last season

I'm gonna say in 3-5
Edmonton
NYI

They've been drafting top 10 for the past while, and maybe in a few years they'll get some results from it.

For the next 1-3 years:
TBL
Depends, a 100 point season would net you 8th place and barely making the playoffs in the west... >.< Crazy times.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:52 AM
  #34
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I don't see the depth going forward. Sure, they can potentially have a good team from the defense to the net, but I just don't like there group of forwards outside of Kopitar. Even though it will be downplayed, I think losing Frolov was a big loss, despite his struggles, he was still a guy the other team had to watch out for.
Hmm...I kind of see it the other way around. I think LA lacks high end talent at the forward position, but has good depth. Nearly every player in our top 9 is capable of scoring 20+ goals this season. People don't realize how good Handzus is either. He does a lot of things really well.

As far as forward prospects go, Loktionov isn't well known, but I can tell you the organization is VERY high on him.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:56 AM
  #35
journeyman79
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
I'm gonna be a homer on this one and pick STL, I know it's been said for awhile now but I'm convinced they're gonna turn some heads this season.

reasons:

1.new younger coach who has learned from Murray's mistakes

2.Vets have retired and the youngsters will be given more ice time

3. EJ WILL breakout. his injury is now far behind him.

4. Halak

5. Brewer in a contract year and although he may be the same old Brewer he'll be off the books after this season and we'll be able to sign someone new. This might not apply to this season but I'm looking forward to seeing how that money will be spent.

6. low cap, once again I'm looking in the near future (not necessarily this season but within the next as well.) If we improve more money can and will be spent.

7. our young high drafted D (EJ excluded) are finally entering the league.

these youngsters I believe are finally starting to gel. We're still missing that one star player but with our depth, he could be coming very soon. via trade or one more high draft pic. Also Tarasenko will be here next year. The Blues signed some of it's best players to great deals this past offseason. RFA Oshie, Berglund, and UFA Backes will be playn for their next contract. Whether it's this year or the next, it's coming.

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:06 AM
  #36
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman79 View Post
I'm gonna be a homer on this one and pick STL, I know it's been said for awhile now but I'm convinced they're gonna turn some heads this season.

reasons:

1.new younger coach who has learned from Murray's mistakes

2.Vets have retired and the youngsters will be given more ice time

3. EJ WILL breakout. his injury is now far behind him.

4. Halak

5. Brewer in a contract year and although he may be the same old Brewer he'll be off the books after this season and we'll be able to sign someone new. This might not apply to this season but I'm looking forward to seeing how that money will be spent.

6. low cap, once again I'm looking in the near future (not necessarily this season but within the next as well.) If we improve more money can and will be spent.

7. our young high drafted D (EJ excluded) are finally entering the league.

these youngsters I believe are finally starting to gel. We're still missing that one star player but with our depth, he could be coming very soon. via trade or one more high draft pic. Also Tarasenko will be here next year. The Blues signed some of it's best players to great deals this past offseason. RFA Oshie, Berglund, and UFA Backes will be playn for their next contract. Whether it's this year or the next, it's coming.
I completely agree. I think the Blues will be back in the playoffs and have a very bright future. I still think the Kings are the best up and coming team, but St. Louis certainly belongs in this discussion. They have fantastic young pieces up front and on the back end and I think Halak will really solidify their goaltending. I'm excited to see what they can do, and I expect Erik Johnson to break out in a big way this year.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:17 AM
  #37
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
The Blues have a lot to prove. I know they are a popular pick to be good, but without the goaltending they got last year they are a messed up team up front. Sure you can get caught up in some of the names, but thus far the only forward on the team that looks like he is capable of being something really good in this league is Oshie. the rest severely underperformed. I really don't see why people even would mention Halak, because Halak will make zero difference with that team. Mason provided them with great goaltending last year, there offense sucked, and they really didn't address that problem at all. Two teams in the Central banking too much on young talent to suddenly perform, it is quite risky.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:23 AM
  #38
flieg44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
The Blues have a lot to prove. I know they are a popular pick to be good, but without the goaltending they got last year they are a messed up team up front. Sure you can get caught up in some of the names, but thus far the only forward on the team that looks like he is capable of being something really good in this league is Oshie. the rest severely underperformed. I really don't see why people even would mention Halak, because Halak will make zero difference with that team. Mason provided them with great goaltending last year, there offense sucked, and they really didn't address that problem at all. Two teams in the Central banking too much on young talent to suddenly perform, it is quite risky.
To be honest Oshie gets all the headlines, but the Blue who is going to breakout this year is Perron.

flieg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:28 AM
  #39
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieg44 View Post
To be honest Oshie gets all the headlines, but the Blue who is going to breakout this year is Perron.
Oshie gets the headlines, because he is clear and away the most complete player on that roster. There is no conspiracy, he gets those headlines for a reason, because he is a damn good two-way forward. I will agree though, Perron is a good player, but he is what he is, a 50-60 point winger. Not a pivot of a line, but if they can get a good center they could have a pretty good 1st line in a year or two with Perron - ??? - Oshie.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:32 AM
  #40
medhatcanuck
Registered User
 
medhatcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Inside JayZ's Belly
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
I don't remember seeing a team with 3 Solid, solid rooks like edmonton does.

Fact is Eberle, MPS and even Omark will probably be NHL stars.

O yea, and taylor hall i guess.

Edmonton is gonna be one fancy team in 3 years.

Up and Comers:
1. LA
2. Edmonton

i don't see the huge potential like you guys do over the blues, i get the petro and oshie wave, but i just see them finishing 7-12th every year.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:48 AM
  #41
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Colorado? Really? I see them being a bubble team for at least the next 5 years.
Yeah, i really don't see what many people see in Avs being one of the best up and coming teams.

The team doesn't have any game breakers at any position, and i'm saying this as an Avs fan. A team like LA has solid offense and most importantly an up and coming Norris caliber Dman.

I know one thing that in the NHL if you don't have solid Dmen you aren't going to win anything, something the Avs don't have. They have Shattenkirk who is the best projected prospect on the blue line, but he's more of a Liles type player than anything.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:51 AM
  #42
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Two words: Steve Yzerman. Well, two more words: Steven Stamkos.

The Bolts are the team to watch. Yzerman is the league's next great GM. The hype is real for a change. They need a goalie, but in two-three years they'll be where the Kings are now.

The Kings, however, are the answer today.

Phoenix and Colorado are in the hunt.

If things work out for the Rangers (i.e. getting Brad Richards), then they are, too. I think they're going to make a serious run at him. Check out this lineup in 2 years (Stars fans, please don't take any offense):

Frolov-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-???
(Possibly Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, or 2010 2nd rd pick Christian Thomas. Or a hole they can fill with the assets they receive when they probably trade assets like Dubinsky, Grachev, MZA, McDonagh at some point.)
Werek-Drury(resigned at a far more affordable salary)-Callahan
Avery
(also at a cheaper price)-Boyle-Prust
Boogaard (or better yet, he's just gone at this point)

Staal-???
Del Zotto-McIlrath
Valentenko-Sauer


Lundqvist
???


All that's really missing is a partner for Staal on the first pair.


Last edited by NYR Sting: 10-05-2010 at 02:57 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:52 AM
  #43
OILNATION*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
The Calgary Flames

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:02 AM
  #44
journeyman79
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
The Blues have a lot to prove. I know they are a popular pick to be good, but without the goaltending they got last year they are a messed up team up front. Sure you can get caught up in some of the names, but thus far the only forward on the team that looks like he is capable of being something really good in this league is Oshie. the rest severely underperformed. I really don't see why people even would mention Halak, because Halak will make zero difference with that team. Mason provided them with great goaltending last year, there offense sucked, and they really didn't address that problem at all. Two teams in the Central banking too much on young talent to suddenly perform, it is quite risky.
actually this is only partially true. Mason was awesome for the first 2.5 months but fell off and was somewhat average after that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...savePercentage

it was the first 2.5 months that kept him from earning below the .913

Halak: .924 although he did play less games.... in the regular season that is.


Last edited by journeyman79: 10-05-2010 at 04:33 AM.
journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
  #45
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I don't see the depth going forward. Sure, they can potentially have a good team from the defense to the net, but I just don't like there group of forwards outside of Kopitar. Even though it will be downplayed, I think losing Frolov was a big loss, despite his struggles, he was still a guy the other team had to watch out for.
LA still managed to be top ten in G/G. They may not have a lot of huge names on O, but they still have some young guys waiting to break out, and they run a fast-paced, exciting system.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
  #46
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Two words: Steve Yzerman. Well, two more words: Steven Stamkos.

The Bolts are the team to watch. Yzerman is the league's next great GM. The hype is real for a change. They need a goalie, but in two-three years they'll be where the Kings are now.

The Kings, however, are the answer today.

Phoenix and Colorado are in the hunt.

If things work out for the Rangers (i.e. getting Brad Richards), then they are, too. I think they're going to make a serious run at him. Check out this lineup in 2 years (Stars fans, please don't take any offense):

Frolov-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-???
(Possibly Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, or 2010 2nd rd pick Christian Thomas. Or a hole they can fill with the assets they receive when they probably trade assets like Dubinsky, Grachev, MZA, McDonagh at some point.)
Werek-Drury(resigned at a far more affordable salary)-Callahan
Avery
(also at a cheaper price)-Boyle-Prust
Boogaard (or better yet, he's just gone at this point)

Staal-???
Del Zotto-McIlrath
Valentenko-Sauer


Lundqvist
???


All that's really missing is a partner for Staal on the first pair.
How do you know the hype is real? The team looks good on paper, but beyond that, Yzerman's team has yet to play a game.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
  #47
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S
 
LegendaryNumber5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Herndon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Marsh View Post
Oilers!

Nah just kidding. Probably the Kings in the west and the Lightning in the East
Yep. I would look for the Kings to possibly take the Pacific, and the lightning to grab a spot somewhere in the 4-6 range.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:06 AM
  #48
Red08
Registered User
 
Red08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Oshie gets the headlines, because he is clear and away the most complete player on that roster. There is no conspiracy, he gets those headlines for a reason, because he is a damn good two-way forward. I will agree though, Perron is a good player, but he is what he is, a 50-60 point winger. Not a pivot of a line, but if they can get a good center they could have a pretty good 1st line in a year or two with Perron - ??? - Oshie.
Berglund or Backes. A lot of folks still think that Berglund has the most potential up front on the Blues. Throw in Tarasenko next year. I would say the Blues have the overall most potential in the league. However, potential doesn't add up to points in the standings.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
  #49
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Yeah, i really don't see what many people see in Avs being one of the best up and coming teams.

The team doesn't have any game breakers at any position, and i'm saying this as an Avs fan. A team like LA has solid offense and most importantly an up and coming Norris caliber Dman.

I know one thing that in the NHL if you don't have solid Dmen you aren't going to win anything, something the Avs don't have. They have Shattenkirk who is the best projected prospect on the blue line, but he's more of a Liles type player than anything.
Ha you have no idea what you are talking about.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
  #50
Blueshockey2*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St.Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
The Blues have a lot to prove. I know they are a popular pick to be good, but without the goaltending they got last year they are a messed up team up front. Sure you can get caught up in some of the names, but thus far the only forward on the team that looks like he is capable of being something really good in this league is Oshie. the rest severely underperformed. I really don't see why people even would mention Halak, because Halak will make zero difference with that team. Mason provided them with great goaltending last year, there offense sucked, and they really didn't address that problem at all. Two teams in the Central banking too much on young talent to suddenly perform, it is quite risky.
Which Blues team did you watch last year? Chris Mason was OK at best. He was great in '08 when the Blues made the playoffs but he gave some games away last year

People forget that David Backes is in a contract year this year, he's going to have a huge year and will force the Blues to pay him.

Also people forget about Alex Steen who is coming into his prime, if anything prevails from preseason, he has shown that his breakout year last year was no fluke.

David Perron looks like a man on a mission this year, he has been the most dominant forward on the ice for the Blues in preseason.

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.