HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The good the bad and the ugly going in 2010-11 season.

Old
10-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
The good the bad and the ugly going in 2010-11 season.

Now that Bill Guerin was released.

Just want to see what everyone thinks the g/b/u are going into 2010-11 season.

The good: Our defense is easily top 3 in the league while our forwards could be top 5-10.
The bad: Our undisciplined penalties.
The ugly: Our goaltending.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Good - Awesome D, plus hopefully more dazzlement by Giroux, JVR and hopefully Zherdev

Bad - Goaltending

Ugly - Homer is still the GM. Will probably see another move we all hate.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

The Good: This team should score a lot of goals, and the defense should be very, very good. And Guerin is not on the team.

The Bad: Goaltending has massive question marks, at best.

The Ugly: Unless Matt Walker's ass is waived, there is precious little cap space to fix any problem that arises.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Good - Hockey is BACK!!!
Bad - Still have to wait another 2 days to watch it
Ugly - It will be a stream that will probably have to be refreshed a million times.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Cleary84

Good - Defense is the best in the league

Bad - The uncertainty that one or more of Hartnell, Briere, JVR will have an inconsistent and/or unproductive season.

Ugly - Goaltending and cap space. Although I have high hopes for Bob, he is a rookie, and this is a very powerful division.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
infidelappel*

The Good: Our defense is top-notch. Quite possibly the best blue line corps. in the league, though of course there is a lot of money tied up in it. Our offense should also be very potent.

The Bad: Goaltending, obviously.

The Ugly: Our never-ending cap dilemma and the fact that Holmgren may very well have to make more ill-informed moves if things don't happen to work out perfectly for us.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Mgkibbles

Good: Giroux and Zherdev in the preseason.
Bad: The play of Andrej Meszaros in the preseason.
Ugly: Our cap situation after this season scares the **** out of me.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:01 AM
jb**

good: better coaching

bad: same group of players who have been inconsistent, show little urgency, and sleepwalk during the regular season. That needs to stop.

ugly: they cant afford any long term injury or bad year to any top 6 player. They just dotn have anyone cabable of coming up from the phantoms to help.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
DenverBoone

Good: Carle, Bob
Bad: Mezaros' contract
Ugly: Walker, Running out of Hemorhoidal cream

Last edited by DenverBoone: 10-05-2010 at 09:12 AM.
DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Rick Deckard

The Good: The depth at forward and defense

The Bad: Boucher as starting goaltender, the absence of bluechip prospects.

The Ugly: Laperrieres post-concussion symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The Ugly: Unless Matt Walker's ass is waived, there is precious little cap space to fix any problem that arises.
With the current roster and both Leighton and Laperriere on LTIR they have almost $2MM capspace.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Cartsiephan*

Good- Coaching, defense, progression of Giroux and JvR, maybe even Bobrovsky winning the job by the end of the season??

Bad- Can Zherdev and Carter be more consistent at both ends of the ice, also the loss of Laperriere on the PK. He and Betts were tje atabilizing force to the PK, one of those pairing who you rarely saw out of position, they always knew eachother were going to stay in the box and once the point committed to the shot both were down to block the shots.

Ugly- Will goaltending workout and by midseason are we going to be stuck with $5.75mill of Meszaros and Walker while Gagne is putting up 40 goals in TB? It may not take long for people to see Meszaros as the $4.0mill stiff he is, Stevie Y was laughing after he hung up the phone and getting a 2nd round pick out of the deal.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Flyskippy

Good: The coaches and the roster are among the best in the league. The team will be fun to watch and should finish in the top 4 in the East.

Bad: The pessimism that runs through the Flyers fanbase. I don't know what it is (I could blame 610 WIP, the local papers, the part of the fanbase made up of Eagles fans, or just the pessimism of the Delaware Valley in general), but there are not that many people left that simply enjoy the team and the game. Fans seem to be fans of the team's record - not the team. It used to be that Flyers fans were scary because of the way they treated the opposition. Now they seem to treat their own team worse.

Ugly: I shudder at what would happen if Bob gets shellacked in his first or second start. All the excitement will quickly turn into calls for what the Flyers should have done instead of keeping him with the Flyers.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Bad: The pessimism that runs through the Flyers fanbase. I don't know what it is (I could blame 610 WIP, the local papers, the part of the fanbase made up of Eagles fans, or just the pessimism of the Delaware Valley in general), but there are not that many people left that simply enjoy the team and the game. Fans seem to be fans of the team's record - not the team. It used to be that Flyers fans were scary because of the way they treated the opposition. Now they seem to treat their own team worse.

Boo-friggin'-hoo. You can be a fan of the team, support the team, buy the tickets, but when the product on the ice does not live up to the expectation that has been set "fans" will be upset.

I have lived the roller coaster that is known as a Philly Phan, and guess what when expectations are set and a team comes out and plays like crap like most of last season I will be pissed off and I will boo when I see lack of effort, and I will call out players for being sorry sacks for not working hard every shift. They get paid good money to do what they do, if you are paying the money and thay are not putting out the effort you should be pissed too.

And one more thing, Howard Eskin and the WIP crew, that is their schtick, it is to get people to call(not that he ever talks hockey) and there are no beat writers who can actually provide an insightful article, so I am unsure where you are getting all this "negative". Well, guess what, 35+ years of promises and heartaches, but look what happens when the Phils win a World Series, people are 2 million strong to support their team. It is why Philly is a tough sports town, if nothing other than hard work and a blue collar mentality it expects teams to win, especially the Flyers and Eagles.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Just read the preview on ESPN.com. I love the great reporting they offer...

Quote:
Still, it was a busy offseason for GM Paul Holmgren, who added defensive depth in Andrej Meszaros and Sean O'Donnell and took on talented but inconsistent blueliner Nikolai Zherdev.
Ugh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:27 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Good- Lavy's system has worked well with the team, arguably best offense in the league, arguably best defense in the east.

Bad- Matt Walker becomes the new Randy Jones of the team.

Ugly- Having to deal with offensive power houses like the Pens and Capitals while having a bunch of questions marks for goaltenders.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Good- Lavy's system has worked well
Forgot about this - I'm excited as heck to see a system in place from game #1. Lavy has the personnel in place, most of the players know the system without having to think about it, and I can't wait to see them flying out there.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
mikedifr

Good:
- Coaching
- Strong defense on the back end
- Scoring depth
- Pronger - Missing time at the beginning he should be more fresh come playoff time.

I am not going to call these bad, I am going to say "concerns" cause I am honestly not sure how they will work out.

Concerns:
- Questionable defense from the forwards
- Discipline (although Lavi will help in this area)
- Too much money on guys like Shelley and Walker
- Goaltending (unless Bobrovsky shines)
- Carter on wing....he just never seems comfortable
- Status of Lappy - We do not have a "shut-down" line without him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Good: Offensive and defensive depth. There are 8 guys who could fill top 6 roles as forwards and 8 guys who are legitimate NHL defenders.

Bad: Carter on the wing. I hope the experiment works (if they stick to this long term), but I believe it's a huge mistake to move him away from centre.

Ugly: Thinking about next off-season.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Forgot about this - I'm excited as heck to see a system in place from game #1. Lavy has the personnel in place, most of the players know the system without having to think about it, and I can't wait to see them flying out there.
So long as they do not take any yachting or fishing trips for their team excursion. I hope Laviolette does two a days instead.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Good- A lot. First full season with Laviolette's system should have this team in top condition, and determined on what their single goal should be. Also, this teams potential is unmatched in the NHL from the 12 forwards to the 8 defense-men.

Bad- The aforementioned potential has been untapped in previous seasons, with our top point getters barely eclipsing 60 points. Although many believe its a bogus stat, the +/- numbers throughout this team are typically embarrassing, despite us being loaded with 2 way forwards and having 8 NHL caliber defense-men.

Ugly- The money situation. I could probably write a 20 page essay questioning the Meszaros and Shelley signings, followed by the Carcillo resigning. None of which I mind, but the amount we're forking into their pockets is wrong on so many levels. And of course, the goalie situation. We enter the season strong favorites to return to the finals through the eyes of many, yet we all know if we had a legit #1, we'd be the strong favorites to win the finals easily.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Good: Offensive and defensive depth. There are 8 guys who could fill top 6 roles as forwards and 8 guys who are legitimate NHL defenders.

Bad: Carter on the wing. I hope the experiment works (if they stick to this long term), but I believe it's a huge mistake to move him away from centre.

Ugly: Thinking about next off-season.
Good: - Bob might be our long awaited for goalie savior
- JVR commitment over the summer
- Full year of Leino with confidence
- Giroux and Zherdev potential together

Bad: - If Bob is not our savior, blahhhhhh
- Fitting 4 centers into three lines / the Carcillo/Richards/Carter line

Ugly:
- Next year's cap

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The Good: Zherdev makes up for the lack of Gagne's offense.

The Bad: Insane contracts required Zherdev make up for Gagne's absense.

The Ugly: Homer's trading during the season.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Good: - Bob might be our long awaited for goalie savior
- JVR commitment over the summer
- Full year of Leino with confidence
- Giroux and Zherdev potential together

Bad: - If Bob is not our savior, blahhhhhh
- Fitting 4 centers into three lines / the Carcillo/Richards/Carter line

Ugly:
- Next year's cap
A couple good showings in preseason cannot back this statement up. I'm psyched for the kid, but he will likely spend most of the year in the AHL once Leighton gets healthy. As for your bad, Bob is unlikely to be the savior this year, like I said and he should not be expected to be. I agree with the other stuff though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A couple good showings in preseason cannot back this statement up. I'm psyched for the kid, but he will likely spend most of the year in the AHL once Leighton gets healthy. As for your bad, Bob is unlikely to be the savior this year, like I said and he should not be expected to be. I agree with the other stuff though.
Well he will have a month to show what he can do. Homer said he will play one of the first games of the season (I have a feeling maybe the Blues). If the guy does well (like preseason well or better then Boosh or Leighton), you dont go sending him back down.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
kicksave27

Good: The flyers have the best D-core in the league, and probably one of the best top 6.

Bad: Our best looking goalie is a rookie from Russia

Ugly: Homer's math skills, seriously, can't they get someone from accounting to go over stuff before he does it.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote