HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Backlund, Laliberte among seven sent to the Phantoms (Oct. 4)

Old
10-05-2010, 12:59 AM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
So, he is "nothing great." Then why waste time on him at the NHL level when other forwards (Testwuide, for example) turned a lot of heads and created a lot of chances?

I don't hate Nodl. I'm honestly pulling for him because I think he could do better. But he has done nothing. Ever. Literally, he has 1 goal and 4 assists in 48 games. He is -17 for his NHL career. Add that to a -10 with the Phantoms.

Sure, he'll eat some 4th line minutes where it's really not all that important to score or create a ton of chances, but he is a defensive liability.
I think of another guy coming out of college who was hyped big time, and everybody freaked out because after 30 odd games he didn't accomplish a damn thing until April.

That is why Testwuide isn't getting a shot now.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:10 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sochi. That is Zherdev's motivation. And the fact he spent the summer practicing with Ovechkin et al shows it. He didn't get picked for the last Olympics and he needs to step up and be recognized as one of the best young Russian team players if he wants a) a big NHL contract for his lovely new bride and b) a shot at the Olympics.
He's Ukrainian.

How is it that he gets to play for Russia in international competition?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
He's Ukrainian.

He's Russian-Ukrainian so he has grandparents of both nationalities and, therefore, gets to choose.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:34 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Its more a history of similar type players to Zherdev, not just his one year of suckage in the playoffs.

You also have to wonder if CBJ would have made the playoffs more than one year if this guy reached his potential
go look at some of those CBJ teams he was on. Look at those centers. Fedorov(past his prime), Letowski,Peca, Malhotra,Fritsche. no need to go on, you catch my drift I hope. Those were some bad teams he was on.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:16 AM
SgtJoseph

I like the moves Homer has made, i can see Zherdev being one of our leading scorers and would not be surprised if he leads our club in scoring for a few long stretches through the season.Cutting Billy Guerin was certainly the correct move, he just don't have the legs anymore, although i have always liked him and wish him the best.

Feel a little bad for Backlunds situation coming off an injury etc, but i am happy for the young Russian kid Bobrovsky, he made the best of the situation that he was given and earned his place on the roster as much as anyone has.You gotta believe the goalie coach Jeff Reese had some imput about whether Bob has the right stuff to have a go this early while Leighton rehabs etc.Boosh deserves to be starting, he played well in the preseason and his experience gives him the edge over Bob for now.I like our clubs chances, If we start off a little slow i will not be worried too much, i like the mix of veterans and younger players.Should be a very interesting year, especially if Bobrovsky can continue impressing us when he gets his feet wet in the BIG SHOW !!!I like pulling for folks like him who have dreamed about coming over here to North America and playing in the NHL and they get their shot, i hope he does well .

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
He's Ukrainian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He's Russian-Ukrainian so he has grandparents of both nationalities and, therefore, gets to choose.
He was born in 1984, in Kiev, USSR. Every player born in the USSR could choose for which country he'll play. Zherdev chose Russia, like the Kazakh Nabokov or fellow Ukrainian Tverdovsky did.

Rick Deckard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:34 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Nobody is shaken up that Nodl is on the team, because really hes better than Guerin and around the same as the other kids.

Its just that we dont get all excited about seeing a player with 1 goal in 50 games making our team. I dont "hate" Nodl, but overhyping him just makes me dislike him even more

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:49 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

We need to enjoy this lineup this year because we have a zero percent chance to have the same talent next year. There is no way we can resign all of these guys so lets enjoy the stacked team while we have it.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
He was born in 1984, in Kiev, USSR. Every player born in the USSR could choose for which country he'll play. Zherdev chose Russia, like the Kazakh Nabokov or fellow Ukrainian Tverdovsky did.
Cool, thanks.

I figured it was something along those lines, but wasn't really sure. Good to know.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Nabokov was different. He first played for Kazakhstan. Then when he realized he was pretty good, he begged and pleaded the IIHF to change the rules and let him be Russian instead.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sochi. That is Zherdev's motivation. And the fact he spent the summer practicing with Ovechkin et al shows it. He didn't get picked for the last Olympics and he needs to step up and be recognized as one of the best young Russian team players if he wants a) a big NHL contract for his lovely new bride and b) a shot at the Olympics.

As long as Zherdev keep scoring and plays some D, he'll be great. He's always mixed it up a bit and will backcheck. I think Lavy will keep him on RW to avoid having him take the boards in the left wing lock, but other than that, I don't see any downside. Esp. if Bobrovsky is going to be around for a bit, it will help both of them to have a fellow Russian speaker around.
Hey, it may work...he wouldnt be the first to mature after several years. Lets hope so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Nobody is shaken up that Nodl is on the team, because really hes better than Guerin and around the same as the other kids.

Its just that we dont get all excited about seeing a player with 1 goal in 50 games making our team. I dont "hate" Nodl, but overhyping him just makes me dislike him even more
Who is overhyping him???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
We need to enjoy this lineup this year because we have a zero percent chance to have the same talent next year. There is no way we can resign all of these guys so lets enjoy the stacked team while we have it.
Which is why I didnt like having Meszaros at first, although I do like him as a player....Carle and Walker better be gone next year though.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I think the fact that people are fighting over those guys, who, as you said look ok, is in itself a good sign.

We have an awesome team this year.
On paper maybe, but remember that the 2009 Flyers were picked to win the division and make it to the SCF's.....well they did make a nice run but the reality is they made it into the playoffs on the last day of the season via a shootout save by Boucher.

People always argue over fringe 3rd or 4th line players, but the true concern should be about the character of this team. Did they learn from last year and will the pieces added fit and make for a winner. How many years did the Skirts put teams on the ice that had big salary and big talent, but yet not make the playoffs....you cannot measure character.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
On paper maybe, but remember that the 2009 Flyers were picked to win the division and make it to the SCF's.....well they did make a nice run but the reality is they made it into the playoffs on the last day of the season via a shootout save by Boucher.

People always argue over fringe 3rd or 4th line players, but the true concern should be about the character of this team. Did they learn from last year and will the pieces added fit and make for a winner. How many years did the Skirts put teams on the ice that had big salary and big talent, but yet not make the playoffs....you cannot measure character.
If only the Flyers had character guys like Richards, Lappy, Betts, Pronger, Timonen, O'Donnell...

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

You are such a killjoy

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Who is overhyping him???
You haven't notice him?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
As expected, both Backlund and Laliberte cleared waivers

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:28 AM
RoDu

As if Andreas Nodl will have a good season for the Flyers.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Didnt see this anywhere but here were the lineups for today's practice:

Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Carcillo-Richards-Carter
JVR-Giroux-Zherdev
Shelly-Betts/Powe-Powe/Nodl

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
As if Andreas Nodl will have a good season for the Flyers.
YES !!!!

I missed that

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
On paper maybe, but remember that the 2009-2010 Flyers were picked to win the Stanley Cup.....well they did make a nice run but the reality is they made it into the playoffs on the last day of the season via a shootout save by Boucher.

Fixed that for you.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If only the Flyers had character guys like Randy Robitaille, York, Calder, Randy Jones, Lars Jonsson, Rathje...
Seriously.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
RoDu

Lars Jonsson, holy ****, there's a name I have not heard in years. And Carcillo in the top six still makes me weep

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Lars Jonsson, holy ****, there's a name I have not heard in years. And Carcillo in the top six still makes me weep
You should be more concerned that we're running a midget lineup of centers, and our best faceoff guy is playing wing (also our leading goal scorer the last two years as a center, now at wing).

It will be interesting to see how these lineups play out...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You should be more concerned that we're running a midget lineup of centers, and our best faceoff guy is playing wing (also our leading goal scorer the last two years as a center, now at wing).

It will be interesting to see how these lineups play out...
I know most people want hartnell-Briere-Leino Together for nostalgia, but I (and I assume you do to) think it would be better to keep Briere at RW, rather than Carter.

JVR-Richards-Carcillo/Powe/Chris Schafer's Mancrush
Leino-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Giroux-Zherdev

Carter and Briere played well together last year, and we can keep Leino there to see if he and briere can do well together again.

or if Giroux and Z dont work out longterm:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Carter-Zherdev

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Great:

Quote: