HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Composite blades and custom hooks

Old
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

vCash: 500
Composite blades and custom hooks

I have been back on the ice in the last couple of months after a very long hiatus. Composite sticks are pretty new to me.

For the last 5 years or so that I played I had my own stick pattern. These were woodies of course.

I narrowed the butt, rounded the shaft a bit where I usually held my bottom hand, added a bit of rock to the heel and heated the blade to put my own custom curve on the stick. After I doctored the stick I couriered it Louisville where they copied the pattern and then they would churn out a dozen whenever required.

With the composites I really like the grip finish that you can get and I can live without rocking the heel but the limitations on curves really sucks. I combed through a **** ton of sticks looking at the stock curves for something familiar and struck out. I ended up picking a pro-stock Reebok 10K that feels pretty close to what I like but in a perfect world I would tame the hook just a smidge.

Now with wooden sticks you could just hit'em with the torch until the heat softened up the blade, curve it, and then stick it in the sink under some cold water to firm it back up. It probably effected the integrity of the stick a bit but who cared with a wooden stick. If it broke you grabbed a new one. If it lasted 4 games instead of 6 that was fine too. But when you have hundreds of dollars wrapped up in your twig and play hockey for fun you don't want to ruin the stick. At least I don't.

So...does anyone here have an experience with heating blades or customizing curves in any other way with composite sticks? Any help appreciated.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:29 AM
frito

I've never tried it but everything I've read has said that heating and re-curving a composite dooms it to failure.

Just curious, how'd you go about working with Louisville to make custom sticks for you? I have an old wooden Louisville that was an IHL Cyclones player (not sure who) overstock that I bought from Play-It-Again sports quite a few years ago. Actually I bought two. I broke one and refuse to use the other until I can find a way to copy it. I absolutely love the pattern and can really aim my shot with it. I have not found anything comparable in the retail market.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
nesford2457

If you google custom hockey sticks there are a number of places that will make blade or ops. You have to order 12 on the first order and then 6 at time after that. The best thing I have found to do is try to get a couple people together to order the first 12. They are not cheap either.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesford2457 View Post
If you google custom hockey sticks there are a number of places that will make blade or ops. You have to order 12 on the first order and then 6 at time after that. The best thing I have found to do is try to get a couple people together to order the first 12. They are not cheap either.
One of the rinks nearby did something like that a year or two ago. They had reps in from a stick company, I don't remember which one, and had a deal on custom sticks/blades. The minimum numbers were lower on the orders though.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Blueland89

can you heat up a bend a abs blade

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
ABS is plastic.

Custom composites are rarely worth it. Post a picture of your old pattern, maybe I know a pro pattern that is close.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
ABS is plastic.

Custom composites are rarely worth it. Post a picture of your old pattern, maybe I know a pro pattern that is close.
I know what theya re i have a couple. that doesn't answer the question, I'll try it when i get home.

You might wanna try going to Christian Brothers and getting a stick from them or atleast a blade you can get a custom blade from them here is the link to the custom blades. They will also make completely custom sticks.

http://www.cbhockey.com/custom-wood-hockey-products/

Old
10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Heating composite to recurve = break on first few slap shots. Ask me how I know?

Best bet? Find a curve close to what you liked, and just get used to it. Should only take a couple weeks of rat hockey and games to get used to the curve. Much less trouble that way.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
jsykes

You could also go with a composite shaft and just get wood blades and make your own curves again. Give you the best of both worlds.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
You could also go with a composite shaft and just get wood blades and make your own curves again. Give you the best of both worlds.

This is a good point. Way back I had a 2 piece but the shaft was aluminum and found the stick had terrible feel. That kind of turned me off 2 piece sticks but I am sure they have improved some since them.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Christian does custom wood blades and I found they last a really long time for wood.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Christian does custom wood blades and I found they last a really long time for wood.
and you only have to order 3