HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Obviously needed to balance the budget. Gendur is a contract. He's playing in the ECHL...

Really don't like giving up Andersson too. Guy was very hard worker, fast, and skilled. Don't like that move at all...
This is really about the oddest move I've ever seen (non-Sather related of course).

Parent has looked very good in camp and during the preseason games. I also agree with you Seth that O'Brien immediately moves into the top six.

The trade vs. a waiver pickup says to me that Poile liked O'Brien much better than Parent and didn't want to bury Parent in the minors. The inclusion of Andersson says that he did not impress in camp and that they did not want to bury him and his one-way contract in the minors or carry him and Kostitsyn both at the expense of a 7th defenseman.

I suppose another move could be forthcoming, but I doubt it.

Still, just a strangely bizarre turn of events- one that loses you a forward with speed and skill and a solid defensive-defenseman for an undisciplined defenseman and prospect. Damn strange.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Come sing the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot song with me.

Whiskey Tango foxtrot! Whiskey tango foxtrot! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Uh.....What the ****?

Seriously. Unless this is a move to free up a roster spot. No friggin idea.

EDIT: Since Parent is on waivers, couldn't the Preds claim him?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How many times was Boullion waived? I know of atleast twice. Let's see him in our sysem before we bash the move. He's a big physical defenseman that can play with an attitude. I don't mind the trade.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
PredsChik

why? why oh why oh why. all sob is good for is having Jordin use him as a punching bag. Thats it. arggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How many times was Boullion waived? I know of atleast twice. Let's see him in our sysem before we bash the move. He's a big physical defenseman that can play with an attitude. I don't mind the trade.
i don't have a problem with SOB per se, I'm just pissed that it's at the expense of Parent, who looked notably better than KK or Cube in camp.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
For your info according to local media in Vancouver O'Brien was not assigned to the minors within the 24 hour window so you will not have to bring him through re-entry. In regards to re-claiming Parent, I would think he was moved due to salary or contract considerations (or else you could have just had O'Brien for free yesterday) so I doubt your team re-acquires the contract they needed to abort to pick-up SOB.

P.S. - Don't tell O'Brien where the good bars and puck-bunnies are in your city.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
66Falconboy

There's got to be a reason for this....maybe there's more action forthcoming.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It makes since to me. Predators had buyers remorse with Anderson wanted to unload him, couldn't find a taker (did he have a one way deal) and also didn't want Parent. Vancouver wanted rid of O'Brien and his one way deal. Predators felt SOB was good enough to break our top 7, instead of waiving Parent and paying him NHL money to play in the AHL they traded him to Vancouver who might have wanted to take a look at Andersson. Nucks are out about the same amount of money if Andersson doesn't find a spot on their roster and save some money if he does. Predators lose Andersson's salary and Parent's salary and get to try SOB out in a different system.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Nshpred87

?

So we sign an overpaid useless d-man who is only going to contribute to PIM. My only worry is will we be getting rid of Belak now?

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Federko

I watched him during his entire tenure in Tampa and then Vancouver. Shane O'Brien's style did not fit the Vancouver Canucks, his swager did not fit the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks are clearly moulding there team after Detroit. It's all about keep away and skill. O'Brien clashed with that style.

There were two cases where Van's GM Gillis had a meeting with SOB about him being the "tough guy/inforcer" type for the Dmen and SOB disagreed. He didn't mind being gritty but valued himself higher than just goon type ****. He mishandled the situation tho...

SOB came out in the media and said he wasen't happy with that. It resulted in a meeting with the brass and they moved on. The following year SOB showed up 5 mins before practice. Apparently he was "partying" all night - but that was blown a little bit out of proportion. Coach AV put him on a plan where he resulted coming back and playing in the playoffs.

SOB was the fiestiest, grittiest dman for the Canucks last playoffs - and the coaching staff in Vancouver viewed that as a risk..."stupid penalty" type risk. But as far as I could see (and countless others)..he was the grit on the back end. He was taking out bodies..which resulted in the Kings making mistakes...he was intimdating... he has a very hard shot and proved successful as I believe he scored in the playoffs too (even tho that's not really his role)...Ironically - the Canucks brought him in for grit purposes.

You can develop this guy a little further you will win this trade. This is coming from a Leafs fan that was stuck living in Vancouver for 5 years (thankfully back now!). SOB fits the Preds MO and will be able to shine in your system. I don't see special teams as a strech either. Under Weber he will be groomed ...and really come along. He's a definate upgrade on Parent and belongs as your number 5 or 6 dman.

Give him a chance before you slam him.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Come sing the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot song with me.

Whiskey Tango foxtrot! Whiskey tango foxtrot! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Uh.....What the ****?

Seriously. Unless this is a move to free up a roster spot. No friggin idea.

In case of emergency

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I...I....I.... Just don't know.

financially, this is the deal. Vancouver gets a metric ton of cap relief and players who can go to Manitoba. Andersson can bounce between Manitoba and Vancouver. Parent can be waived and might get picked up on the cheap.

For the visual like me.

Nashville saves cash, Vancouver cap relief. Now the players who have two ways Johnson and Lundmark can go to Milwaukee and Nashville is not playing for players who are one one-ways.

EDIT: I deeply agree with OTF, Nashville should have gotten a pick for this.....unless they happen to claim Parent.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 10-05-2010 at 12:25 PM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I strongly dislike this move. Nashville does not have the PK unit to support SOB's stupid penalties.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I strongly dislike this move. Nashville does not have the PK unit to support SOB's stupid penalties.
AMEN

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
For your info according to local media in Vancouver O'Brien was not assigned to the minors within the 24 hour window so you will not have to bring him through re-entry. In regards to re-claiming Parent, I would think he was moved due to salary or contract considerations (or else you could have just had O'Brien for free yesterday) so I doubt your team re-acquires the contract they needed to abort to pick-up SOB.

P.S. - Don't tell O'Brien where the good bars and puck-bunnies are in your city.
They are literally right outside to rink so even a lug like him won't have a problem finding those spots.

Any idea what Van plans to do with Anderrson?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
ANother good point. Is SOB a good PK guy?

Old
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It makes since to me. Predators had buyers remorse with Anderson wanted to unload him, couldn't find a taker (did he have a one way deal) and also didn't want Parent. Vancouver wanted rid of O'Brien and his one way deal. Predators felt SOB was good enough to break our top 7, instead of waiving Parent and paying him NHL money to play in the AHL they traded him to Vancouver who might have wanted to take a look at Andersson. Nucks are out about the same amount of money if Andersson doesn't find a spot on their roster and save some money if he does. Predators lose Andersson's salary and Parent's salary and get to try SOB out in a different system.
Some of that doesn't wash trig.

Parent was having a solid, solid camp and preseason. He certainly should have been ahead of Sulzer and Johnson. If it could have been any defenseman sent back to Vancouver (meaning they were going to waive them regardless), Sulzer made the most sense and the salary difference would have been negligible.

Burying Andersson's salary should not have been an issue (they did it last year with Sulzer). I recognize that it could, but asset management has typically trumped small levels of salary heartburn in the past (again, see Sulzer).

Vancouver comes out ahead cap-wise regardless: negligible if they both make (not the case since Parent's already been waived), approx. $925,000 to the good if only Andersson makes, and approx. $1.5 to the good if neither makes.

On top of all that, O'Brien has a history of taking bad penalties- a potentially disastrous situation unless the Predators prove they have more effective penalty kill units (which to this point they haven't).

Last edited by David Singleton: 10-05-2010 at 12:46 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
MrJoshua

I haven't seen anything on TSN, NHL.com or the Preds' site about this as yet. Are we sure this is "confirmed with link" and not just a McKenzie rumor?

edit: And of course just as I say that it comes up on TSN. Nevermind.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I haven't seen anything on TSN, NHL.com or the Preds' site about this as yet. Are we sure this is "confirmed with link" and not just a McKenzie rumor?
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|VAN|home

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Yes, the Predators have sent out a press release although the staff is probably at the luncheon and haven't gotten it up on the site yet. It's done.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
No, he is the guy that gets us on the PK

Old
10-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
He's worked on the PK for us a quite a few times in the past two seasons (mostly due to defensive injuries to guys like Salo and Mitchell); though the Canucks PK hasn't exactly been very good the last two years so I dunno if you'd want to play him there with the defensemen you already have.

Regarding Anderson, he'll most definitely be playing on the Moose this season (or bolt back to Europe if that's more his style).

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM
MrJoshua

Well, Poile must see something in O'Brien. $1.6m this year, 2g 6a 79pim in 65 games last year. They're obviously not bringing him over for his offense.

MrJoshua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
predfan24

Quote:

edit: And of course just as I say that it comes up on TSN. Nevermind.
If Mckenzie tweets it it's always true.