HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NSH/VAN] Ryan Parent + Jonas Andersson for Shane O'Brien & Dan Genur, Parent waived

Old
10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I could see a couple of teams giving Parent a chance as 6/7th D man, assuming he is healthy

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Nashville will claim Parent for a third tenure. lol

you can keep on knockin but ya can't come in.

Anderson is 29 years old?

Wonder if Parent makes it to the Moose?
He seems like he could be the next Salo...in terms of injuries

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
yes but what's our cap situation like right now?, anybody got the exact numbers?.
We have 0 chance of being under the normal upper limit (59.31) in my opinion.

We will be using some of the 5.5 million cushion provided by Salo's and Burrow's injuries.

This means we won't be saving up extra cap space but it also means we probably don't have to even think about the cap for quite some time.

Cap had no bearing on this trade in my opinion. This was about shifting assets around.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Man, I must say I am surprised by Parent getting moved. Reason being, when the Preds brought him back, they seemed happy to get him. Has his game really fallen off? Watching Flyers games against the Pens last year, he seemed ok, nothing special. I always sorta liked O'Brien. But he does take to many penalties.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
SOB isn't worth 1.6M... Why would Nashville pay one player that much? Yeah paying parent in the AHL would be a bummer but it would've given us more depth...

I am very confused unless Nashville moves someone else...
SOB is essentially only a 700k cost to Nashville, and he's well worth that.

(It would cost Nashville 1.6 to have Parent on the farm and a 700k player in the NHL. For a team with a very limited budget, it makes more sense to just have a 1.6 million guy playing on the NHL team imo)

Old
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Soundgarden

Wow, kinda shocking, I thought Parent played alright with Franson.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekers View Post
I don't understand why Nashville didn't just pick O'Brien up from waivers...
because teams can only carry a maximum of 50 contracts, and the Preds are also at the 50 contract mark. They needed to drop a contract to pick up O'Brien, and couldn't just pick him up on waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I guess they believe that SOB will be picked up at 800k so they'll be off the hook for his salary, while Parent is on a one way and would have to otherwise pay him?

Thats the only thing that makes sense in my head, and i'm not even sure thats correct... or since he has a two way he'll make AHL money?
SOB was never assigned to Manitoba, so he is not on re-entry waivers, and thus won't be claimed at the $800K cap hit. And if he was on re-entry, the Preds would not be off the hook on his salary as they'd have to pick up that $800K (half his cap hit).

They acquired SOB because they believe he will play on their team... that's the only reason to make this trade. And Parent is also on a 1-way contract. The only player here on a 2-way is Gendur, who was clearly a throw-in, and has no value... the Canucks likely wanted Nashville to take his contract to balance the total contracts on their team. Unlike Andersson, Gendur won't even be useful in the minors.

For the Canucks, they save some money, but more importantly they have a chance to get rid of Parent's contract by waiving him (since no one picked up O'Brien, maybe they are hoping someone picks up Parent and they lose one of their contracts)... if not, they are better off having Parent in the minors than O'Brien, who was a distraction on the pro team when he didn't get to play the role he wanted, and would therefore be a problem playing in the minors. Parent can play there without complaining, unlike O'Brien.

I think the hope though is that Parent actually gets picked up on waivers, where O'Brien wasn't. And the Canucks are way too tight against the cap to risk bringing him through re-entry and eating $800K against the cap.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
TOML

It's a bit early to write Parent off as a bust, but it's close.

He simply needs to get healthy.

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Parent was solid early on in Philly, but the injuries got to him. After awhile his play just deteriorated to downright awful at times. If he can stay healthy he can still be a top 4 d-man though.
This is it. Parent started out very promising, but back and shoulder injuries/surgeries have really hurt his development.

If you are a shut down guy whose game is premised on speed, then playing with a bad back and being unable to take a hit means you turn the puck over a lot.

I have always liked Parent, he just hasn't been healthy enough to play to his potential.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
jcbio11

Man, who cares about this trade. Seriously.
I just saw the preview or whatever and I read Shane, and I was like holy ****, Shane Doan was traded. Then I noticed the trade happened between Nashville and Vancouver.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
I just saw the preview or whatever and I read Shane, and I was like holy ****, Shane Doan was traded. Then I noticed the trade happened between Nashville and Vancouver.

So, to clarify, this trade is not Ryan Getlaf + Jonas Hiller for Shane Doan and Dan Ellis?

My god you must be disappointed by 99% of trades if you only read the first name and get excited.

Old
10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
pretty sure the fans of the teams that have made these changes care about the trade.

I always find it funny that people come on these threads, and actually take the time to respond in the thread then only say "who cares"?? if you didn't care, then why even post on it? considering the number of responses in this thread, obviously there are fans that do care.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
surely something else is looming

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'm pretty sure the asset Vancouver wanted was Andersson. He can be called up for injury without passing through waivers.

Nashville gains because O'Brien is actually a pretty damn good defenseman. He isn't near as crappy as people think, when he was asked to play a top 4 role last season he did quite well and played quite a few 20+ min games successfully. Sadly, he's our #7 guy in Van and he isn't getting paid 1.6mil in that role; we're quite deep on defense.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'm pretty sure the asset Vancouver wanted was Andersson. He can be called up for injury without passing through waivers.

Nashville gains because O'Brien is actually a pretty damn good defenseman. He isn't near as crappy as people think, when he was asked to play a top 4 role last season he did quite well and played quite a few 20+ min games successfully. Sadly, he's our #7 guy in Van and he isn't getting paid 1.6mil in that role; we're quite deep on defense.
Nashville has a great nightlife with plenty of restaurants serving greasy food. I could see Music City getting the best of O'Brien.

If Trotz doesn't crack the whip, I could see him playing at 250 by the end of the season.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Nashville will claim Parent for a third tenure. lol
this would be sooooo funny.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
medhatcanuck

Funniest thing is that Philly lost both Parent and Hamhuis.. Both went to Van, gotta feel bad for Ryan Parent, hes the meg of the NHL.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Kip96

SOB was actually quite good in the playoffs last year. He is a useful Dman, Van needed the 0.55 Mil in cap savings
because Alberts is very similar. The only Problem with SOB is he has a bad rep with the refs and gets a lot of iffy calls against him

Edit: Oh yeah and he likes to party

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Funniest thing is that Philly lost both Parent and Hamhuis.. Both went to Van, gotta feel bad for Ryan Parent, hes the meg of the NHL.
Ryan's the new Meg, Ryan's the new Meg!

*Places purple toque on Parent's head*

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
WreckItRask

Anyone that watched the Philly-Bruins games during the playoffs last year will tell you that it's no surprise Parent can't stick with a roster right now. He was flat-out atrocious in that series (and most of the other games I watched him last year), and honestly had no business being in the lineup. When you're getting healthy scratched for Lukas Krajicek then you know you're in trouble.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Ummm, wow?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

So, to clarify, this trade is not Ryan Getlaf + Jonas Hiller for Shane Doan and Dan Ellis?

My god you must be disappointed by 99% of trades if you only read the first name and get excited.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
MrSerious

Didn't parent have a game during the finals where he only played about 30 seconds and managed to be a -1?

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Pointystick

I'd say it's a high probability that he gets claimed early. Would Edmonton let him past them? I know nothing of their Defense.

Pointystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointystick View Post
I'd say it's a high probability that he gets claimed early. Would Edmonton let him past them? I know nothing of their Defense.
Whitney - Gilbert
Foster - Smid
Peckham - Vandermeer
Strudwick

After we've seen who's cleared waivers I can see the Oilers waiving Peckham to claim Parent although that's a risk. It would suck to lose him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote