HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Peter Schaefer to 1-Year, $600,000 Deal (Two-Way)

Old
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Good deal, good signing. I like it. He'll just continue to improve as well, can't believe how well he played for a guy who was forced to sit out for an entire season.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

vCash: 500
I love that we're continuing to upgrade our PK...and like others have said, he definitely outplayed BMo, especially down the wire in pre-season.

ubiquitous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
can't believe how well he played for a guy who was forced to sit out for an entire season.
Looks like he needed the time off. He got it and used it wisely (working out, etc).

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Meganuck*

I'm hoping this is true. would be a solid addition.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Good deal, good signing. I like it. He'll just continue to improve as well, can't believe how well he played for a guy who was forced to sit out for an entire season.
He mentioned in his last interview how different it is to just go out and play instead of trying to play to a number. It sounded like trying to play up to the salary that was given to him by Boston really wore on him.

He was a very good third line player who cashed in with second line money and then couldn't produce to a second line level so he got run out of the league.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
I love that we're continuing to upgrade our PK...and like others have said, he definitely outplayed BMo, especially down the wire in pre-season.
It's good to see the PK take precedent over grit in the bottom 6 here. Peter Schaefer isn't big, hard to play against or tough but he is a clear upgrade for special teams. The 3rd line with Schaefer, Malhotra and Hansen gives the Canucks a good checking line as well as 3 players that can kill penalties - exactly what you want out of that line.

Hansen is gonna' have to impress if he wants to stay in the top 9 once Burrows returns. Schaefer's board work could be enough to bump Hansen back down to that 4th line once again. It'll be interesting to see who wins that battle for 3rd line icetime.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:54 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's good to see the PK take precedent over grit in the bottom 6 here. Peter Schaefer isn't big, hard to play against or tough but he is a clear upgrade for special teams. The 3rd line with Schaefer, Malhotra and Hansen gives the Canucks a good checking line as well as 3 players that can kill penalties - exactly what you want out of that line.

Hansen is gonna' have to impress if he wants to stay in the top 9 once Burrows returns. Schaefer's board work could be enough to bump Hansen back down to that 4th line once again. It'll be interesting to see who wins that battle for 3rd line icetime.
I don't know what you saw out there, but Schaefer looked tough to play against to me. Fairly tenacious checker who is very good along the boards. Seems like an AV player to me.

Can't wait to see this guy in mid-season form.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:55 PM
VanEric

If Torres finds some success with Kesler & Raymond, I could see Burrows bumping one of them off the third line to start.

I'd trust a line of Schaefer-Malhotra-Burrows out there against any top line in the league.

Or even flipping Samuelsson down to the third line. Schaefer-Malhotra-Samuelsson is a real veteran trust worthy line too. A lot depends on Raffi.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think it's ten games.

If the Canucks "send down" Hodgson (even if they plan on keeping him) and Lack, they will be close to being able to put Salo on the opening day roster before putting him on LTIR in order to maximize the space. In which case they could then immediately recall Hodgson, if they wanted to.
Yeah so ten games = 3 weeks pretty much at on average 3 games a week. I know sometimes it is more but in the Canucks case is Monday Nov 1st. And if Burrows is back sometime that week, the Canucks will not get any LTIR from him.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I don't know what you saw out there, but Schaefer looked tough to play against to me. Fairly tenacious checker who is very good along the boards. Seems like an AV player to me.

I'd agree; he's not going to be throwing vicious hits or anything but he's a really persistent stick-checker who has the speed to hound the opposition forwards mercilessly on the back check. I would not imagine he'd be particularly pleasant to play against.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post

Depends on your definition of tough to play against. He's tough to play against in the same way Sami Salo is tough to play against. Schaefer isn't tough or physical but he is strong along the boards and hard on the puck - like Salo.

My defintion of tough to play against means a player you hate going head to head with. Is Schaefer someone the other team is going to look at as a guy you don't want to be on the ice against? I would say no.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
ddawg1950

I said when they brought Schaefer in on the PTO that I particularly remember him as being curiously efficient working the boards. He's not tough doesn't hit particularly well, but he certainly seems to have that special ability to win those little battles for the puck. It really is a huge skill for a PK guy. Plus he has some offensive upside. Good wrist shot for sure but he also has some soft hands (reminds me of Burrows in that respect) so I really see him as an excellent 3rd/4th liner guy. He's one of those guys that would look good to go to war with in April/May/June...and a definite improvement over what we had in the bottom six last year.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Great deal, people hate to admit it, but schaef out played b-mo in the pre-season
"schaef" only out played bMo in Gillis' front office by taking 150k less on a 2 way deal.... SON.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:41 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
"schaef" only out played bMo in Gillis front office by taking 150k less on a 2 way deal.... SON.
Thank you.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Karly14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Depends on your definition of tough to play against. He's tough to play against in the same way Sami Salo is tough to play against. Schaefer isn't tough or physical but he is strong along the boards and hard on the puck - like Salo.

My defintion of tough to play against means a player you hate going head to head with. Is Schaefer someone the other team is going to look at as a guy you don't want to be on the ice against? I would say no.
As a Sens fan, Peter Schaefer is one of my all time favourite Sens. He is an underrated passer, and has great hands.

He was also one of the best playoff performers the Sens have ever had. He would hit everything in sight. Ask Tim Connolly if he's a tough guy to play against. Schaefer's open ice hit on him in the 06 playoffs was one of the hardest hits I have ever seen and Connolly has never really recovered. I'm jealous of you guys, but of course wish Schaefer all the best!

Karly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Proto

Quote:
"schaef" only out played bMo in Gillis' front office by taking 150k less on a 2 way deal.... SON.
I agree!

Also he outplayed him by being stronger on the puck, more capable defensively, physically stronger in a checking role, scoring a goal, killing penalties better, and he's two years younger and doesn't have BMo's recent injury history. But, other than that, continue to get all Carpe Diem on Gillis for not signing the Canucks fans poster boy for the pre-season.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Considering everything, very deserving.

Schaefer and Bolduc will work well together. Although Bolduc is the one who will be taking the draws, the real "center" of the line will be Schaefer.

Schaefer is really smart on the ice* from what I've seen and just knows how to adjust to his teammates and the on-ice situation - he's not a "must do this" player. And of course, he's an excellent puck-handler.

Bolduc is more the Hansen of the line, the guy who skates miles, forechecks and generally harasses the other team. Not great at handling the puck.

* Bolduc and Schaefer were on the PK last Friday night and had a 2 on 2 opportunity. As soon as Schaef saw that Bolduc was taking the shot (puck had not left Bolduc's stick yet), without hesitation Schaef turned and peeled off for the bench, rather than wait for a rebound and possibly get caught deep and tired - most pkers don't do that - they stay for a possible rebound. That's a smart hockey player.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karly14 View Post
As a Sens fan, Peter Schaefer is one of my all time favourite Sens. He is an underrated passer, and has great hands.

He was also one of the best playoff performers the Sens have ever had. He would hit everything in sight. Ask Tim Connolly if he's a tough guy to play against. Schaefer's open ice hit on him in the 06 playoffs was one of the hardest hits I have ever seen and Connolly has never really recovered. I'm jealous of you guys, but of course wish Schaefer all the best!
I agree. From what I remember of him in Ottawa, he is one of those guys that's able to "turn it up" when he needs to. He's in great shape and knows how to use his speed and positioning to hit effectively.

I think he and Malhotra are going to combine to be one nasty PK duo.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
ZyggZagg

Clearly, he was always a Canuck at heart

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Kagee*

I think the final seal of approval was against SJ, Schaefer took away iirc Heatley's stick in a superb scoring opportunity during a PK.

And at least we'd seen some glimpses of his decent puck handling/passing etc.

All with a beauty of a shiner!-)

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
JerkChicken

Quote:
Hmmm...unless I'm missing something, I was under the impression that Morrison was never offered a contract by the Canucks.

If so, how could Schaefer have taken 150k less?

I haven't seen any evidence that Morrison wouldn't have accepted the same deal as Schaefer?

It would be impossible to say either way, if there was no deal was ever offered to Morrison.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Looks like he needed the time off. He got it and used it wisely (working out, etc).
Schaefer Spent all of last season trading with a Canucks Trainer doing it 5 days a week then when the summer came he was training 7 days a week sometimes 3 a day.

He put in alot of effort to make a come back

Last edited by DoubleTrouble: 10-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
VanTampaFan

i am also surprised that Schaefer looks to be the guy over Bmo and Tamby.

But then it does make logical sense. Schaefer has nothing to lose and everything to gain so he's going to be incredibly motivated. We get a PKer at a great price on a 2-way deal who is willing to put everything on the line Ryan Johnson style for a spot on the team. If you didn't much like him before, go see that interview on canucks.com where he says "im willing to do whatever it takes" to make the team to have your opinions swayed some.

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

I thought Schaefer was the best of the 3 three, but also brings a slightly different game to Mo. Pretty happy with this signing.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I agree!

Also he outplayed him by being stronger on the puck, more capable defensively, physically stronger in a checking role, scoring a goal, killing penalties better, and he's two years younger and doesn't have BMo's recent injury history. But, other than that, continue to get all Carpe Diem on Gillis for not signing the Canucks fans poster boy for the pre-season.
Bro... no one is blaming Gillis for anything. Morrison didn't take the money and terms that Gillis offered.

reading

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote