HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-05-2010, 02:23 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
O'Brien is "soft".

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Ok so the way I see this is Poile sees O'Brien as a better defenseman than Parent and he traded for him. To add to that Vancouver can eat Andersson's contract in the minors so we through him in and get a nobody in return. I think even with callups Andersson would have only gotten around 10 games or so, I feel like the organization is really high on Lundmark even though hes not shown much.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Slake tells me we cant do that. I already asked.
I believe the rule is that a player traded in season, if claimed by that team on waivers during the same season, then becomes ineligible to play for the remainder of that season.

I think it happened a few years back with maybe Shean Donovan going from Boston to Calgary back to Boston and being ruled ineligible. I would guess it had to do with cap circumvention issues.

Regardless, we dumped him to get O'Brien into our budget. We're not now going to turn around and bring back on his salary to be our No. 7...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Ok so the way I see this is Poile sees O'Brien as a better defenseman than Parent and he traded for him. To add to that Vancouver can eat Andersson's contract in the minors so we through him in and get a nobody in return. I think even with callups Andersson would have only gotten around 10 games or so, I feel like the organization is really high on Lundmark even though hes not shown much.
I agree. I think they like Lundmark and I think he was pushing for a roster spot in camp before getting injured. Lundmark reminded me of Fiddler in that he was a defensively responsible two-way forward with enough skill to play on any of the four lines and find a way to contribute...

Old
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I really liked Parent in the preseason, but I dont mind this move at all. O'brien is a toughy guy who is solid on defense. More proven than Parent

Last edited by I Will Son: 10-05-2010 at 03:38 PM.
I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Just heard the news. I'm absoluetly disgusted for all the reasons already said.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Jarnberg

How to fix the Predators woes on the PK.. add a guy who has 605 career PIM in only 299 games. Don't forget his 25 in 12 games last post season for Vancouver. Somehow I don't see the Predators as the least penalized team in the league next year...

Sure, there are the fights, but we really want our 'top 6' defensemen fighting, right...

Last edited by Jarnberg: 10-05-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
How to fix the Predators woes on the PK.. add a guy who has 605 career PIM in only 299 games. Don't forget his 25 in 12 games last post season for Vancouver. Somehow I don't see the Predators as the least penalized team in the league next year...

Sure, there are the fights, but we really want our 'top 6' defensemen fighting, right...
does this make belak a perma-scratch?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
trevorbird

Welp, I look stupid for saying he was terrible a few days ago.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
does this make belak a perma-scratch?
Belak has never been more than a perma-scratch in anyone's plans. He's our 14th forward, 15th if Lundmark sticks...

Old
10-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
Welp, I look stupid for saying he was terrible a few days ago.
no you don't

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Why doesn't Andersson count as a contract? He's signed to a one-way deal and I was talking to him less than 4 hours ago minutes before he was told he was traded. He's in North America, not Sweden...
Sorry, someone tweeted that he didn't, they were wrong, they admitted it.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
token grinder

At first glance, I was ticked off at this deal. But since, I am ok with it.

1) SOB is in the last year of his contract. We needed the flexibility and Parent is an RFA, which more than likely held blum and ellis and josi back even more. Combine this with the cubes being up in 2 years and kleins in three, you can see the contracts stacking up nicely behind weber and suter.

2)We all said we needed another vet back there. He is from the 03 draft. You know that one with weber suter and klein. So he has more experience than parent, and is a bit bigger

3) we all wondered how we were gonna have toughness and a guy to step in if need be with belak only playing vs the blues and jackets and tootoo more than likely being a 12/13 forward. Now we don't have to worry about it. We know the guy is tough. We know the guy will fight.

4) he had 79 PIMS last year in 65 games. So about a penalty every other game. I can live with that. Him being back there also means weber doesn't have to be the guy on the ice constantly policing as well.

Basically, He is Greg Devries with a bit of toughness. Slow, knows his role, knows where he is supposed to be on the ice. He should compliment Franson on the third pair and allow Franson to try and make more plays in the offensive zone.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Terrible move; I was impressed with Parent in the preseason and I haven't seen anything from O'Brien that leads me to believe that he is an upgrade over Parent. My only knock on Parent was his inability to get the puck out of the zone, but so does Bouillion...

Anderrson is good depth as a guy who can play on different lines and had speed.
If you think Parent was terrible at clearing the zone... you haven't seen O'brien.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
deanwormer

Man, this is a head-scratcher..... Thought Parent played better than all but Suter/Weber in pre-season. Maybe Wade is next on waivers? Or maybe they started thinking bout who they had to pair Zidlicky, er, Franson with and decided they needed someone more experienced than Parent? and don't the dollars come close to a wash?

Dunno, if you're a Preds fan your motto has got to be "in Poile we trust", right?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
If you think Parent was terrible at clearing the zone... you haven't seen O'brien.
Drop the Sopel from Calgary said earlier in the thread that clearing was one of O'Briens greatest attributes. Looks like dueling scouting reports.

I don't get this move. It seems to me we're going to suck now. I was liking the ability of our defense to play and not take penalties. Oh well, gotta hope this guy is better than it sounds and that some toughness is worth it. Trotz likes that old school stuff. I think it does almost nothing. But he should know.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
At first glance, I was ticked off at this deal. But since, I am ok with it.

1) SOB is in the last year of his contract. We needed the flexibility and Parent is an RFA, which more than likely held blum and ellis and josi back even more. Combine this with the cubes being up in 2 years and kleins in three, you can see the contracts stacking up nicely behind weber and suter.

2)We all said we needed another vet back there. He is from the 03 draft. You know that one with weber suter and klein. So he has more experience than parent, and is a bit bigger

3) we all wondered how we were gonna have toughness and a guy to step in if need be with belak only playing vs the blues and jackets and tootoo more than likely being a 12/13 forward. Now we don't have to worry about it. We know the guy is tough. We know the guy will fight.

4) he had 79 PIMS last year in 65 games. So about a penalty every other game. I can live with that. Him being back there also means weber doesn't have to be the guy on the ice constantly policing as well.

Basically, He is Greg Devries with a bit of toughness. Slow, knows his role, knows where he is supposed to be on the ice. He should compliment Franson on the third pair and allow Franson to try and make more plays in the offensive zone.
If that's how this works out I'm fine with it.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Dunno, if you're a Preds fan your motto has got to be "in Poile we trust", right?
I don't trust Poile as far as I can throw him and/or his golf clubs.

The contents of this move could be worse, but the timing could not. I thought Parent played fine, so to trade Parent along with Andersson to get a guy who is not much (if at all) better than Parent doesn't make a lick of sense from an asset management point of view. But to deal away two players that Poile made a big fuss out of acquiring right before the season starts is baffling.

If we pick up Parent off waivers, then this move plus putting Sulzer on waivers would fit together better with the bigger roster picture, but why not just trade Andersson for O'Brien one-for-one if you're going to do that?

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
hatedandproud

Poile will be on that "the Zone" station at 5:45.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville has just condensed some of it's depth to a single player. Slake has not been too impressed with Jonas and I trust his evaluation. Parent is a 6h defenseman and frankly this trade looks like we sent an AHLer and a 6th defenseman for a 4th/5th defenseman.

Interesting comment from the Vancouver threads about SOB complaining to the media about the team trying to get him to fight too much.

I look at Nashville's depth chart and I like how this corrects the forward depth of Milwaukee. Now there are too many goalies and defensemen in Ads land so I would not be surprised to see some of the talent traded for picks.

If Sulzer clears, there's Johnson, Sulzer, Laakso, Blum, and Josi in Milwaukee. That's a lot of defensemen and with Ellis and COR coming after juniors there might be a need to move two more.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Drop the Sopel from Calgary said earlier in the thread that clearing was one of O'Briens greatest attributes. Looks like dueling scouting reports.
SOB is really good when he gets time and space to carry the puck out and can lead a surprisingly good rush. But when there's pressure and he needs to make a tape-to-tape pass to get it out...oh lord. It's not pretty.

I think you guys will like him if you can manage your expectations and if he's used sparingly and effectively. He needs firm structure or else he goes crazy on the ice, and half the time didn't want to listen to what our coach was telling him to do - even arguing with one of our coaches after the whistle during the playoffs while he was still on the ice. He's not "tough" in that he sucks at clearing the crease, is horrid at checking players, and doesn't hit much. He will always stand up for his teammates though but will then facewash guys after the whistle (often resulting in a penalty) or be the 3rd man into a scrum again getting a penalty. He needs to be a #6 guy playing 13-14 easy minutes a night to be a "good" defenseman and we couldn't pay 1.6m for that. He will never be a #4 or #5 guy. He's also a solid skater so he won't get burned by people that way, it's more his positioning that he has trouble with.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
If you can keep SOB disciplined
imo this is SOBs main issue, and I dont think it will be overcome by anything except adding some age and wisdom.

He loves to party, he is hot-headed and will yell at coaches during playoff games, he takes stupid penalties, gets fat in the off-season, and runs his mouth to the media.

I liked him for a while, but as time went on I liked him less and less. He pretty much single-handedly lost the canucks one of our playoff games against the blackhawks last season when he cross-checked byfuglien 3 times. Later he said 'i had to show them we won't let them push us around' stopped us from getting any offensive momentum that game. I guess that was when I really started to dislike him. I'm glad he is gone.

Having talked all that trash, I will still admit he can be good when he is disciplined... but he is too selfish and immature to be disciplined right now. Maybe 5 years from now...

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

I wonder what Nashville's equivalent of the Roxy is? He DID always seem to make it out to country nights..

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

The thing about OB is that you don't get the best of both worlds with him, and that's the reason he wasn't able to stick in Vancouver.
When he's the tough stay at home dman that everyone wants--it comes with a price. PIMs. A lot of PIMs.

When OB and the Canucks made an effort to switch off his penalty issues, it severely neutered his game. The OB that was waived this week is the OB that's only tough after the whistle. And even then it wasn't fights, just face washing and beaking. He's stopped hitting because he wasn't good enough to do it without grabbing on and taking a bad call.

I held a lot of hope for OB. Met him on a few occasions through mutual friends and family, but this guy just doesn't get it. He hasn't grown out of his party years and the clocks a ticking. He was given every opportunity to succeed in Vancouver and just couldn't keep himself from slipping back into his old ways every few months.

I hope this guy turns it around for you guys, but for every good thing I saw from him I'd see two more that would leave me shaking my head.

Last edited by Szechwan: 10-05-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I scratch my head with the board some times. We pick-up a 5'8" defenseman that throws a few hits a game and fall in love with him nevermind that he's never been more than a 6/7 guy his entire career and we want him in our top 4.

Yet we trade a passive defensive defenseman for a gritty big player 6'3" player that has played a 5/6 role and yet we're complaining?

I like the deal and the toughness he brings or I'm atleast willing to see how it works out.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Just saw this. Wow is all.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote