HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fixing gouges in sticks

Old
10-01-2010, 12:57 AM
ponder

vCash: 500
Fixing gouges in sticks

I'm chippy/borderline cheap with my stick work, lift opposing players sticks often, and sometimes the blade of my stick gets stepped on, which can leave substantial gouges, and these can later be the weak point where the blade snaps. Just got a pretty decent sized gouge in the first really nice stick I've ever owned (a one95), so I want to patch it up before any serious damage is done. It's on the backhand side, bout 1mm deep and 2" long. I was thinking of filling it with epoxy, sanding the epoxy down, covering it with a small piece of fiberglass tape, then sanding that down. Good idea? Anyone got tips?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Just epoxy should be fine. You basically just want to seal it from moisture.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:35 AM
ponder

I'm more worried about structural integrity than moisture, I have had blades snap at deep skate-made gouges, though admittedly those were deeper gouges than the current one. But the gouge can turn into a spreading crack which can turn into a broken blade, and I don't think it's just moisture damage.

Old
10-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

cut it and replace the blade?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm more worried about structural integrity than moisture, I have had blades snap at deep skate-made gouges, though admittedly those were deeper gouges than the current one. But the gouge can turn into a spreading crack which can turn into a broken blade, and I don't think it's just moisture damage.
Moisture gets into those spots and weakens the blade. Just use a bit of epoxy. Also that seals the ends of the cracks.

If you want to waste your time with fiberglass feel free to do so but all you need is epoxy.

Old
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Moisture gets into those spots and weakens the blade. Just use a bit of epoxy. Also that seals the ends of the cracks.

If you want to waste your time with fiberglass feel free to do so but all you need is epoxy.
Took your advice, epoxy is in place and drying as we speak, will sand it down tomorrow.

Old
10-03-2010, 02:39 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
Took your advice, epoxy is in place and drying as we speak, will sand it down tomorrow.
A little spray clearcoat from the spray paint section in walmart and it will be practically a pro job. It's really a quick fix that can easily save a blade.

Old
10-04-2010, 07:50 PM
ponder

Quote:
A little spray clearcoat from the spray paint section in walmart and it will be practically a pro job. It's really a quick fix that can easily save a blade.
Have done exactly as you've suggested, played with the stick a couple times, and so far so good! Performance does not seem to be affected at all, hopefully it holds up for awhile. If it does eventually break, do you know if it's easy to put a new blade into a one95 one piece? It's an 09 grip model, just like this one:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BS95

Asked this in another thread too, but seemed like a natural question in both threads.

Old
10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Have done exactly as you've suggested, played with the stick a couple times, and so far so good! Performance does not seem to be affected at all, hopefully it holds up for awhile. If it does eventually break, do you know if it's easy to put a new blade into a one95 one piece? It's an 09 grip model, just like this one:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BS95

Asked this in another thread too, but seemed like a natural question in both threads.
I wouldn't but others would try it. I've found that they end up too short, don't feel right and don't fit the blade well... but others are plenty happy with converting OPSs into shafts.

Old
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
pnewsom

I was able to remove the blade from a Bauer 185 with heat and replace it with another .520 tapered Bauer blade. A little bondo work and paint, and the stick looks like new.
Not sure if the 195 is the same.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
I was able to remove the blade from a Bauer 185 with heat and replace it with another .520 tapered Bauer blade. A little bondo work and paint, and the stick looks like new.
Not sure if the 195 is the same.
They are not.

BTW, if you have money you may want to start stocking up. TotalOnes will be hitting the shelves this week so one95s should start to see sale prices. It's not going to be crazy discounts but definitely there will be deals out there.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
They are not.

BTW, if you have money you may want to start stocking up. TotalOnes will be hitting the shelves this week so one95s should start to see sale prices. It's not going to be crazy discounts but definitely there will be deals out there.
That made me a little hard

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If I'm in a hurry and there is a hole or gouge I'll fill it in with stick wax to keep the water out.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote