HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The good the bad and the ugly going in 2010-11 season.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A couple good showings in preseason cannot back this statement up. I'm psyched for the kid, but he will likely spend most of the year in the AHL once Leighton gets healthy. As for your bad, Bob is unlikely to be the savior this year, like I said and he should not be expected to be. I agree with the other stuff though.
Umm, he did say might...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Boo-friggin'-hoo. You can be a fan of the team, support the team, buy the tickets, but when the product on the ice does not live up to the expectation that has been set "fans" will be upset.

I have lived the roller coaster that is known as a Philly Phan, and guess what when expectations are set and a team comes out and plays like crap like most of last season I will be pissed off and I will boo when I see lack of effort, and I will call out players for being sorry sacks for not working hard every shift. They get paid good money to do what they do, if you are paying the money and thay are not putting out the effort you should be pissed too.

And one more thing, Howard Eskin and the WIP crew, that is their schtick, it is to get people to call(not that he ever talks hockey) and there are no beat writers who can actually provide an insightful article, so I am unsure where you are getting all this "negative". Well, guess what, 35+ years of promises and heartaches, but look what happens when the Phils win a World Series, people are 2 million strong to support their team. It is why Philly is a tough sports town, if nothing other than hard work and a blue collar mentality it expects teams to win, especially the Flyers and Eagles.
Meh.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Kaktus*

I've seen some retarded replys from the same HF members.

Somehow "the bad" is Carter and Zherdev and their possible 60 or over goals. WTF...

Complain about something legit: cap space, goaltending, penalties with discipline, Gagnes trade and Holmgrens questionable off season moves. Shelley contract or Lappy concussion. Complain about that goof TP and disabled child Cotsey.

Why whine about two guys whos future contract is on the line this season and both performed very well in preseason and gave zero reasons to worry.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
BillDineen

I agree about this year. I was basing the good on the hope that Bob would be the savior, not that I actually believe he will set the world on fire. (Same hope I had for Cechmanek and Nitty at one point).

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Why ask for opinions if you've already determined what the answers should be?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:

Somehow "the bad" is Carter and Zherdev and their possible 60 or over goals. WTF...

Complain about something legit: cap space, goaltending, penalties with discipline, Gagnes trade and Holmgrens questionable off season moves. Shelley contract or Lappy concussion. Complain about that goof TP and disabled child Cotsey.

Why whine about two guys whos future contract is on the line this season and both performed very well in preseason and gave zero reasons to worry.
Haters gonna hate. What can you do?

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
the good: As good as anyone in the league on offense 1-9 and on defense 1-5. if everyone does what they are supposed to do there is no reason this team cant finish top 4 in the East.

the bad: question marks after everything I mentioned above. whos going to play in the 9 slot? can Carcillo get his **** together from a disciplined point of view. screw blaming the refs, its all up to Carcillo. Walker/O'Donnell and Bartulis. I am sorry someone needs to go. We all know who should go, but unfortunatly we all know who will end up being the odd man out.

the ugly: the fan base calling out Jeff Carter while on his way to a 40 goal season for being lazy, calling him jeff "high and wide" Carter. Some people are so predictable.
I worry that Bobrovsky hasnt faced any adversity yet. how will he handle it?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
The Good: The depth at forward and defense

The Bad: Boucher as starting goaltender, the absence of bluechip prospects.

The Ugly: Laperrieres post-concussion symptoms.

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Good:Bob- yep I'm predicting he'll be good.
8 of the top 9 especially JVR's new look.
depth at D

Bad: Walker
the inevitable losing streak we always have every year

Ugly: Lappy will likely never be back.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Good: Jeff Carter
Bad: Matt Walker
Ugly: Chris Pronger

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Good call.

With how they went in preseason, I'm really not concerned about Zherdev and Carter...offensively, at least.

I think both will have very solid years, trying to win that big next contract.

There are far worse (and uglier) things to worry about than those two.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

The good: The best group of defenseman in the league. A top coach. Ecellent top 8 forwards.

The bad: Goatending is a major question mark, again.

The ugly: Walker and Shelly's contracts. Nodl's hands

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

The Good: maybe JVR will rock ass.

The Bad: what if JVR doesn't rock ass?

The Ugly: have you ever seen a rocked ass?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

If Carter and Zherdev each score 30 goals it will be an underperforming season for both according to all the predictions I have seen by most posters.

Carter will score 50, easily, because he scored 4 goals in a preseason.

Zherdev will score 40+ easily because he scored 5 goals in the preseason.

Problem is both of these players achilles heels have been to score in bunches and then disappear for a week at a time. So is scoring 3 goals in a 5-0 blowout over Atlanta really important or scoring 1 goal and be a plus on the +/- sheet more important in a 3-2 game against Pens?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
CdnFlyersFan

The Good: Flyers hockey is always exciting + no better fans in hockey!!!!
The Bad: My envy of teams like Buffalo, Boston, Jersey with solid tenders
The Ugly: My denial that maybe Holmgren isn't that great of a GM...and has made more than his share of bad decisions / moves.

Last edited by CdnFlyersFan: 10-05-2010 at 04:25 PM.
CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

THE GOOD

THE BAD

THE UGLY

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Good: Claude Giroux is back in my life.

Bad: I have a new girlfriend. That's not bad, but I just found out she is going to Boston for a few days, leaving Friday. The night before she leaves I will be getting obscenely drunk in front of the TV and will be ultimately incapable of performing certain duties, if I see her at all.

Ugly: I live in Pittsburgh.

COMCASTMONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
TheKingPin

The Confusing: watching everyone say that we have a sick offense and and sick D and a great rookie FA goalie all that our GM got...yet also hear everyone saying he is the problem.

Last years finals had two no name goalies for the most part. We are a far better team than last year and a lot of the other teams in the east look weaker to me than they did last year. Obv the caps are very talented and are prob due for a cup run. But I think we beat everyone else.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The Good: Probably the single best core of skaters assembled in the NHL including the top defense and a 3-7 offense.

The Bad: Leighton/Boucher is our duo, Bobrovsky despite his awesome play will likely need time to adjust to a coach, Backlund's return from injury was far less than triumphant, and we're not going out to get a goalie because it is a waste of assets at this point.

The Ugly: Everyone on the Flyers board is going to over-obsess and argue over every minor flaw on this team only because there's nothing legitimate to argue about anymore.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The Ugly: Everyone on the Flyers board is going to over-obsess and argue over every minor flaw on this team only because there's nothing legitimate to argue about anymore.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
The Good: Probably the single best core of skaters assembled in the NHL including the top defense and a 3-7 offense.

The Bad: Leighton/Boucher is our duo, Bobrovsky despite his awesome play will likely need time to adjust to a coach, Backlund's return from injury was far less than triumphant, and we're not going out to get a goalie because it is a waste of assets at this point.

spoken like a true flyer supporter. Nothing legit to argue about. Unreal.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Good: The flyers have the best D-core in the league, and probably one of the best top 6.

Bad: Our best looking goalie is a rookie from Russia

Ugly: Homer's math skills, seriously, can't they get someone from accounting to go over stuff before he does it.
I will take that job....as long as they match my current salary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Good call.

With how they went in preseason, I'm really not concerned about Zherdev and Carter...offensively, at least.

I think both will have very solid years, trying to win that big next contract.

There are far worse (and uglier) things to worry about than those two.
Wasnt the contract year a positive for Emery last year??? He wasnt playing that great even before he got hurt....just saying

Quote:

There is plenty to debate about this team, dont be so blind and naive. You may disagree, but that doesnt meant its not there.

- goaltending,
- offseason moves,
- cap isssues
- Will the Leino/Briere/Hartnell line hold up defensively over a season?
- Will Zherdev finally give a consistent effort over the entire season?
- Will Richards rebound from a down year?
- Will there be the "cup loser hangover"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Nevermind.

Last edited by CS: 10-06-2010 at 12:39 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:18 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I wonder what effect rose colored glasses have on someone who is colorblind.

Good: good team.

Bad: middling goalkeeping

Ugly: the Caps and Pens won't both screw the pooch in April this season

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If Carter and Zherdev each score 30 goals it will be an underperforming season for both according to all the predictions I have seen by most posters.

Carter will score 50, easily, because he scored 4 goals in a preseason.

Zherdev will score 40+ easily because he scored 5 goals in the preseason.

Problem is both of these players achilles heels have been to score in bunches and then disappear for a week at a time. So is scoring 3 goals in a 5-0 blowout over Atlanta really important or scoring 1 goal and be a plus on the +/- sheet more important in a 3-2 game against Pens?
Problem is you do not know wtf you are talking most of the time. Other then that, there is no problem.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote