HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NSH/VAN] Ryan Parent + Jonas Andersson for Shane O'Brien & Dan Genur, Parent waived

Old
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
O'Brien will be fine behind the Weber-Suter pairing.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:25 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Anyone that watched the Philly-Bruins games during the playoffs last year will tell you that it's no surprise Parent can't stick with a roster right now. He was flat-out atrocious in that series (and most of the other games I watched him last year), and honestly had no business being in the lineup. When you're getting healthy scratched for Lukas Krajicek then you know you're in trouble.
Bingo, nailed it right on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
Didn't parent have a game during the finals where he only played about 30 seconds and managed to be a -1?
Pretty sure you're 100% correct.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Kid_Roll

Yay being bored at work. Yay!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
CAPiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post

Yay being bored at work. Yay!

that's gold!

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Reign Nateo

The more I look into this trade the more it looks as if the Canucks are simply hoping someone take Parent. I doubt he's in the Canucks' plans. He's not good enough to play on the Canucks at this point, and the Moose have a pretty full back-end as it is. They could always try to find another place for someone like Baumgartner or Zimmerman, but it looks to me like this move was made to free up a contract spot. Signing Schaefer is the next priority.

Andersson is interesting as he's a big body (6-3 212) with a lot of experience. I could see him getting a look on the 4th line at some point this season. If nothing else he adds size to what could be a smallish Moose forward group. Gendur is not an NHL prospect. Hell he's not an AHL prospect. Kind of a waste of a contract.

O'Brien is the best player in this deal at the moment, and if he can pull it together and take this as a wake-up call, he should remain the best player in the deal going forward. What would worry me as a Pred fan would be Shane's penchant for not getting along with his coach. Mostly due to Shane's laziness. How's that gonna fly with Barry Trotz? Preds may be the hardest working team in the NHL, he couldn't get it done in Vancouver.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Bingo, nailed it right on the head.

Pretty sure you're 100% correct.
Honestly, anyone wishing their team would claim Parent, or surprised that he was waived, just didn't watch him last year. He and Coburn were considered similar prospects a few years ago, but that comparison became laughable every time I watched them play last year. Parent, at this point, is not good. He is young enough though that he could find it if he spent some time in Manitoba, and that might happen given that whoever claims him has to keep him up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Funniest thing is that Philly lost both Parent and Hamhuis.. Both went to Van, gotta feel bad for Ryan Parent, hes the meg of the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Ryan's the new Meg, Ryan's the new Meg!

*Places purple toque on Parent's head*

My limited paint skills...

The trade makes sense, so does waiving Parent. He simply isn't confident enough to be an NHL regular right now.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:34 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Funniest thing is that Philly lost both Parent and Hamhuis.. Both went to Van, gotta feel bad for Ryan Parent, hes the meg of the NHL.
The 4th rounder we got from Pitt for Hamhuis is fair value for Ryan Parent, IMO.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The 4th rounder we got from Pitt for Hamhuis is fair value for Ryan Parent, IMO.
To think most flyers fans were saying Parent is worth as much as Cory Schneider

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:46 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
Didn't parent have a game during the finals where he only played about 30 seconds and managed to be a -1?
I think it was 23 seconds or something ridiculous like that. Although, it's hard to make up for a mistake (going -1) when not given a chance (being benched).

Watching Parent the last few months of last season was almost physically painful. He was completely devoid of confidence and almost freaked out every time he got the puck on his stick.

I like him and hope he'll come around. He looked really good with Timonen a few seasons ago (somehow, most guys playing with Kimmo looks good...) and when he came up playing for us in the playoffs for the 07-08 season he actually impressed somewhat with his calmness with the puck (for a rookie not considered to be exactly elite in the puck moving area and playing above his level because of a bunch of injuries).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
it was a 3rd rounder actually

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
it was a 3rd rounder actually
Win. Total win.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
ComrieFanatic

Good deal for Nashville. I don't think Parent brings nearly as much to the table.

O'Brien will be a good 4th or 5th defender on a team with not nearly as much day-to-day pressure.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Good deal for Nashville. I don't think Parent brings nearly as much to the table.

O'Brien will be a good 4th or 5th defender on a team with not nearly as much day-to-day pressure.
If O'Brien is their 4th defender, they are in serious trouble.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
forty47seven

Eliteprospect's blurb on Jonas Andersson:

Quote:
A fast-skating winger, Andersson likes driving the net and firing the puck. Creates scoring chances on his own with his speed. Plays a hard game and will instigate physical play.
He's a 6'3" 212lbs 2nd round pick from 1999. He scored 6 goal at the World Championship for Sweden this summer. He sounds like a potentially nice fit for the bottom 6.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
kakemono

I like this as a Preds fan because O'Brien brings some grit to a pretty soft Preds team.

Weber is a force, but he can't be afforded to take penalties.
Belak is scratched 80% of the time.
Tootoo is probably busy diving, charging, or a healthy scratch.
Boulllion is fiesty so that is good.

We just don't have any physically imposing guys who have the right fit to throw down if need be.

Useful players on opposing teams won't fight guys like Tootoo or Belak because they know it isn't a fair trade on the ice.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
██████★██████

vCash: 0
Great trade for Vancouver

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
biturbo19

Sounds like a great trade.

I think SOB could really get his development back on track in a place like Nashville. Out of the spotlight, with two pretty solid mentors ahead of him and a nice structured system.

And I've wanted the Canucks to make a bid for Parent for quite awhile. He'll be a great addition to the Moose this year if he can clear waivers, and if he can get his stalled development back on track in the AHL this year, he'll be a very useful depth piece for the Canucks in the coming years.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
TheBigTicket

van wanted jonas for bottom 6 (or future call up)

nash wanted sob for top 6

van wants parents contract spot and hopes he gets claimed

gendur is just plain awful

pretty good trade for both teams. van gets flexibilty and nash gets sandpaper and grit

TheBigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Laterade

I have a feeling Claude Noel had a hand in this. How else would Gillis know about Andersson?

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Meh, we did lose Hamhuis, but now that Parent is on waivers, glad we got a 3rd out of this deal. 3rd for a guy who just got waived always makes you feel good.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
devin1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
I have a feeling Claude Noel had a hand in this. How else would Gillis know about Andersson?
Could be someone in the team of scouts

devin1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1487 View Post
Could be someone in the team of scouts
I thought the former AHL coach of the Admirals made more sense, but I guess that could be the case as well.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't understand why Vancouver waived Parent right away.

I know he's not good, but he might have been better than Alberts or Rome.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
orcatown

As of now, Nashville the clear winner here. SOB is best player in the deal and plays right away with the Preds. When on his game OB is a solid NHL player.

Parent is much more suspect than prospect and has no where near established himself as an NHL player. Real nice Junior who was once viewed as equivalent to LeTang. Does not seem to have enough speed.

Andersson has never shown himself suited to North American hockey and at 29 is an unlikely prospect

Nashville thus gives up two fringe players to get a decent NHL player. Vancouver gets off the hook for OB' s contract and the organization establishes across the League that they will be player friendly enough not stick a legit player in the minors. (might have look bad to future possible free agent pickups). Also the Canucks dump a bad contract opening up a roster spot.

Vancouver was over a barrel and, to continue the metaphor, got bent over in this trade. However, given the situation this was likely to occur.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote