HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backlund, Laliberte among seven sent to the Phantoms (Oct. 4)

Old
10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Hey guys, stop claiming that Nodl is a defensive liability. He isn't. There is only one thing that he can't defend against and it's the empirical evidence showing that he's a poor defender. That's it.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's pretty convenient how you cherry-picked his age and ignored every other part of my valid reasoning.

Beyond that, it seems that you're also cherry-picking players that have had better seasons at his age just to support your own argument rather then realizing that every player develops at his own pace in his own unique situation.
I guess he never heard of Danny Briere

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:52 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I'd personally rather rotate some double shifts for our top 8.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I'd personally rather rotate some double shifts for our top 8.
Why?

Honestly, I'd only be fine double shifting the two guys who are not getting PP time.

Even then, I don't think it's such a great idea.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Why?

Honestly, I'd only be fine double shifting the two guys who are not getting PP time.

Even then, I don't think it's such a great idea.
Because we have 8 guys that really deserve ice time, and we know at least 2 of them wont be getting as much when running 3 scoring lines.

I'm not saying always do it, because there will be some games where an agitator can fit in nicely.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Some semblence of an offensive game. That isnt a lot to ask for. I dont thinkhe will play anyway and be the 13th forward. It will be interesting as the coaches it seemed wanted Guerin. The GM said nope. The GM signed Shelley. will the coach play him? Maybe a litte friction between the two?
I think his offensive game will get better. **** it can only get better if he finds a home next to Giroux and Z. You could just as easily be right about him too, he could end up being 13. However, I would much rather that hand that role to Shelley, who obviously has no upside. GM vs. Coaches... I hope Lavy wins.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
BernieParent

How Andreas Nodl develops his offensive game.

Laviolette to Nodl: "Okay, Nodl, just head to the net and stop there."

Laviolette to Giroux and Zherdev: "Okay, guys, carry the puck towards the net and bank it in off Nodl."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I think his offensive game will get better. **** it can only get better if he finds a home next to Giroux and Z. You could just as easily be right about him too, he could end up being 13. However, I would much rather that hand that role to Shelley, who obviously has no upside. GM vs. Coaches... I hope Lavy wins.
I will be shocked if we don't pick up a veteran along the way... especially in the event Lappy doesn't come back.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
You haven't notice him?
Who? Havent been on the boards much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You should be more concerned that we're running a midget lineup of centers, and our best faceoff guy is playing wing (also our leading goal scorer the last two years as a center, now at wing).

It will be interesting to see how these lineups play out...
Glad I am not the only one concerned about this....I still dont like this mix of forwards no matter how "great on paper" it sounds/looks

Quote:
I think we're better off with Briere at wing long term, yes. However, I also think we're better off long term with Giroux at wing. It is what it is, given the commitment to a true "scoring" line as our third, as opposed to more of a two-way physical line.

I mean, looking at our current lineup... Richards and Carter are going to have to be our matchup line when necessary. Which is nice and all, but those are our two best forwards and you're essentially putting them both in a situation where you can't put 'em out to take advantage of good matchups going the other direction.
We know how I feel about Briere playing Center, I think he is much better there but I understand the defensive concern....but I rather not have both he and Giroux at center. I still dont understand why they arent tried together, they played great together in the playoffs two years ago and are basically tailor made for each other.

Quote:
When Mike Richards was 22 y/o he put up 28-47-75 +14

We had folks comparing Giroux to Hemsky around here.

Hemsky at 22: 19-58-77 -5.

Guy I actually think is a very good comparison for Giroux's career potential:

Scott Gomez at 22 potted similar numbers, but was coming off 70 and 63 point seasons as a 20 and 21 y/o.

22 y/o ain't that young for scoring players, particularly the smallish/quick variety that tend to develop faster than the bigger guys because they don't rely on strength to get their **** done. I certainly expect Giroux to improve and have a very solid NHL career offensively, but his age, in itself, isn't necessarily an excuse for his relatively modest offensive totals (and, frankly, defense with Giroux is a bigger concern for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your off by a year on your stats.

Richards was born in February of 1985 so that means during the season of 07-08, he started off 22 years old, and midway turned 23. That was his breakout year scoring 75 points. When he was 21 years old, he only had 34 points playing on the 3rd line.

Giroux was born on January 1988, so that means he will start off this season as a 22 year old, and midway turn 23. So that means this season would be almost EXACTLY on track as Richards season. Last season, his first full NHL season, he started off as a 21 yr old, and turned 22 midway. Last season he had 47 points playing mostly on the 3rd line.

It isnt bad to criticize a player Jester, but everytime you complain about his size. We know your really big on size with a player, but not all NHL players need size to succeed. Its not bad to say how a player needs to work, but most things you say about Giroux are negative.
Also, Hemsky and Richards (I imagine cause I havent look it up) were getting much more ice time, PP opportunities, etc. Giroux has had to fight for PP time with Richards, Carter, Briere, Gagne, Hartnell, etc.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
How Andreas Nodl develops his offensive game.

Laviolette to Nodl: "Okay, Nodl, just head to the net and stop there."

Laviolette to Giroux and Zherdev: "Okay, guys, carry the puck towards the net and bank it in off Nodl."
Zherdev to Giroux: "What is vord for man-child? In terms ov brain?"

Giroux to Zherdev: "You mean retard?"

Zherdev to Laviolette: "Why we hav to play vith retard? Is charity game, no?"

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Also, Hemsky and Richards (I imagine cause I havent look it up) were getting much more ice time, PP opportunities, etc. Giroux has had to fight for PP time with Richards, Carter, Briere, Gagne, Hartnell, etc.
It's a weak point for one very obvious reason: if he was producing better he would have been earning more minutes.

Even then. The only forwards that got more minutes at 5 on 5 than Giroux were Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, and Hartnell (in short, top 6 minutes). Same with the PP, though Giroux jumped over Hartnell.

I mean, people really seem to forget that Giroux was a complete non-factor for almost the entire second half of the season.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
BernieParent

Zherdev to translator: "Psstt, pstt, psstt."

Translator to Nodl: "Nikolay wants know why you carry stick. Maybe you score goal with broom or, how you say, plowsnow."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
It's a weak point for one very obvious reason: if he was producing better he would have been earning more minutes.

Even then. The only forwards that got more minutes at 5 on 5 than Giroux were Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, and Hartnell (in short, top 6 minutes). Same with the PP, though Giroux jumped over Hartnell.

I mean, people really seem to forget that Giroux was a complete non-factor for almost the entire second half of the season.
Yep and the same thing can be said for JVR and the reason why he wasnt playing on the powerplay.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep and the same thing can be said for JVR and the reason why he wasnt playing on the powerplay.
Absolutely. He wasn't earning minutes over those other guys, but he also wasn't getting the PP minutes even when he was playing quite well early on in the year.

Old
10-06-2010, 12:24 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
So . . . I'm actually kind of surprised no one got picked up. Not like we waived anyone all that spectacular, but you'd think Laliberte and Backlund would at least garner some interest.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Zherdev to Giroux: "What is vord for man-child? In terms ov brain?"

Giroux to Zherdev: "You mean retard?"

Zherdev to Laviolette: "Why we hav to play vith retard? Is charity game, no?"
I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Zherdev to translator: "Psstt, pstt, psstt."

Translator to Nodl: "Nikolay wants know why you carry stick. Maybe you score goal with broom or, how you say, plowsnow."
I didn't.

Honestly, why all the hate for Nodl? I was actually dissapointed when they brought an obviously gimped Lappy back in for Nodl during the playoffs last year, he looked like a COMPLETELY different player than when he made the team out of camp a few years ago.

He was fast, worked hard, had good positioning and created turnovers. Sure, it looks like he will never be as offensively talented as maybe what we had expected (or at all, for that matter), but damn, he certainly did look like he deserved to be on the team, no?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Honestly, why all the hate for Nodl? I was actually dissapointed when they brought an obviously gimped Lappy back in for Nodl during the playoffs last year, he looked like a COMPLETELY different player than when he made the team out of camp a few years ago.

He was fast, worked hard, had good positioning and created turnovers. Sure, it looks like he will never be as offensively talented as maybe what we had expected (or at all, for that matter), but damn, he certainly did look like he deserved to be on the team, no?
Yes, he did look like an NHL player in his call up. And I'm sure he'll be back soon.

It was pretty clear that Lappy was not healthy at the time of his return. Sitting Nodl for Lappy hurt the physical energy, but I understand why they did it in terms of emotional impact.

Unfortunately, Lappy was in denial about his symptoms then and chose to play and put his health and career in jeopardy in the process.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yes, he did look like an NHL player in his call up. And I'm sure he'll be back soon.

It was pretty clear that Lappy was not healthy at the time of his return. Sitting Nodl for Lappy hurt the physical energy, but I understand why they did it in terms of emotional impact.

Unfortunately, Lappy was in denial about his symptoms then and chose to play and put his health and career in jeopardy in the process.
Nodl was getting pinned on the PK a lot in the playoffs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote