HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Wow... you guys are acting like I took his Halloween candy. I just made a simple statement of fact. It's not like I was one of the people hating on the idea throughout the thread or anything. I mean if you make enough trade proposal threads you're bound to strike kind of close on one of them, right?

It is strange that Poile is taking so many risks this year. It's uncharacteristic. First we picked up SK. We signed Andersson to a one-way. We're giving a completely unproven rookie a chance at the back up spot even though he never played a game in NA. Now O'Brien. Very odd

edit: I just noticed Paranoid said something basically to the same effect. My apologies for the plagiarism

Last edited by TMI: 10-05-2010 at 09:01 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
kivaerijo

maybe he has seen how the youth push the last few years has worked decently for other teams (avalanche/blues/etc), and feels like taking some risks himself now that some of our young guys are not vets? i dont know..just grasping

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Milly79

http://www.vancouversun.com/Brien+fi...596/story.html

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
OpenWheel

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM
OpenWheel

Not sure what all this was, but Cherry cracks me up. Does he say he's a "home boy" or what did he call him?

Old
10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Quote:
Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville sent the Roxy Night Club Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and a banjo player to be named later as compensation for the loss of Shane O'Brien.
That's cold, man.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
In fairness, you didn't call it. You said we should get him off of waivers.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's one of those trades that will only prove to be good or bad after several close games. If he can keep out of the box at inopportune times and actually listens to the coaching staff I think we got a fair deal.
In fairness he got about as close as you can get to calling it.....

LL + 1

I think this could end up being a great deal on our end, even the Vancouver Sun has us as the winners of this trade....

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
It's interesting that O'Brien won't be arriving till Thursday or Friday due to visa issues. The Preds have a practice at Centennial on Thursday, but I doubt he'll make it in time. Friday's practice is at the Bridge, then after that you've got one morning skate to acclimate.

Trotz told Cellblock303.com today that this trade might not make us better for Saturday, but it should pay off in May/June. I guess I now know what he was referring to...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
JonnyCash

Good trade for you guys... as much as you don't want him based on stats and other things.. I can guarantee he will be a fan favorite in Nashville. He's the kind of guy you can only cheer for.

Good luck SOB!

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
That's cold, man.
That's media overkill is what it is. Toxic for a player once they get an angle going. OB will be sold on this as a new opportunity. They traded for him, they want him. It's up to him to now stay out of trouble and prove that those transgressions are in the past...

Old
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
adsfan

Interesting deal. I liked Parent during his brief time in Milwaukee. Then he was traded to Philly and didn't come back. I talked to Jonas once, but it was about 10 years ago when Al Sims was the coach in Milwaukee. Jonas needed work on his defense back in the day, but his skating and offensive skills were good.

I look forward to seeing the two new guys and what they bring to the Preds and/or Admirals.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Wow... you guys are acting like I took his Halloween candy. I just made a simple statement of fact.
Dude, c'mon
Quote:
It's not like I was one of the people hating on the idea throughout the thread or anything. I mean if you make enough trade proposal threads you're bound to strike kind of close on one of them, right?
Eklund reincarnated as a Pred fan?
Quote:
It is strange that Poile is taking so many risks this year. It's uncharacteristic. First we picked up SK. We signed Andersson to a one-way. We're giving a completely unproven rookie a chance at the back up spot even though he never played a game in NA. Now O'Brien. Very odd

edit: I just noticed Paranoid said something basically to the same effect. My apologies for the plagiarism
Get out of my head!! Really though, I was thinking the exact same. I'd also add naming Weber captain. He usually goes with the most experienced, older player. Mid-life crisis? Anyone know if Poile recently purchased a red, black interior convertible?

Seriously though, this is good. I think this means he has such confidence in our current lineup that he is willing to take risks to push us over the top. Or being so passive in the past hasn't worked, so maybe he's trying to be more aggressive.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Interesting deal. I liked Parent during his brief time in Milwaukee. Then he was traded to Philly and didn't come back. I talked to Jonas once, but it was about 10 years ago when Al Sims was the coach in Milwaukee. Jonas needed work on his defense back in the day, but his skating and offensive skills were good.

I look forward to seeing the two new guys and what they bring to the Preds and/or Admirals.
Gendeur will be lucky to suit up for the Ads, he's heading to Cincinnati...

Old
10-05-2010, 11:39 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sometimes we forget GM's are poker players. When Poile signed Andersson and made a fuss about him, maybe it was to attract other GM's into thinking he was a better player than he was so he could get a better return on him at a later time.
I don't agree with this logic at all. So he signed Andersson just to pump up his value to trade for a defenseman that cleared waviers?? No way. We could've had OBrien for absolutely nothing. In fact, they probably would've sent us a draft pick if we took his salary off their hands. Instead, we send them salary.

Andersson and Parent were both risky monetary signings/trades. Neither has proven anything in the NHL, not unlike several players we have one one-way contracts.

This move is Poile getting cold feet that Andersson and Parent aren't good NHL players, and would be making a NHL salary in the minors, or sucking it up at the NHL level.

Poile pumped up both to be something good. I haven't seen any preseason games, so I can't comment on how they've played.

One one hand, he unloaded them so they aren't sitting in the minors taking up valuable money. On the other, we got a Dman with some big question marks, and a pretty big salary.

Surprisingly though, this move is unlike Poile. If he signed a guy, he's likely to ride them, for better or worse. So it's very out of the norm for him to acquire someone without giving them a looong chance.

So Shane OBrien, I guess we'll see what you got.

Letting Zanon walk last year is looking worse and worse. He would've helped our PK so much last year, both in reg season and playoffs. 1.9 for Zanon, or 1.6 or OBrien. As for this year's PK, it's not looking good either. Neither are our defensemen past Weber and Suter.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:44 PM
braindead

We traded a guy that could cover for Franson's slow feet to get a guy that can cover for Franson's complete softness.

Franson, as a total package, gives us tremendous flexibility.

I'm sorry. I had to do that. I'm ashamed.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Shareefruck

O'Brien has the "ability" to play like a #4 defenseman for stretches. For a big tough guy, he's surprisingly heady/smart at times and likes to spin around the forechecker out of the zone and do fancy things like that.

I think it's a great signing for you guys considering you gave up a bunch of players you didn't want-- Not that I'd want him back.

O'Brien's pretty much a guy who will sometimes play well below your expectations and sometimes play well above them. If your top guys are injured, he's a great guy to have. If you have alot of depth and he gets pushed down the depth chart, he handles it like a little baby. Definitely not the kind of guy you would want to keep around as a spare.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Letting Zanon walk last year is looking worse and worse. He would've helped our PK so much last year, both in reg season and playoffs. 1.9 for Zanon, or 1.6 or OBrien. <agree with this As for this year's PK, it's not looking good either. Neither are our defensemen past Weber and Suter. wont say either of these just yet
4 characters

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
MS

O'Brien is a solid #5 defender when his head is on straight. He's big, skates very well for his size, and (despite being the definition of stupid in most other ways) actually is fairly smart positionally and reads the play decently for a player of his ilk.

Offensively he's crap - he can impressively carry the puck from his goal-line to his own blueline and occasionally pull a fancy deke of a forechecker out of his ass, but his passing and offensively hockey IQ are well below average.

One of his big issues has been toughness vs. discipline. He piled up the PIMs at lower levels and in his first couple years in the NHL, but was basically a dumb penalty looking for a place to happen. Last season, the Canucks finally got him to be more disciplined, but his edge completely disappeared.

He's a good fighter but not a terribly good bodychecker and most of his 'toughness' is after the whistle stuff - facewashing guys in scrums, yapping to the opposition.

The other issue, as has been well documented, is the off-ice stuff. He seems like a nice, likeable guy, but he's his own worst enemy. Partied way too much, spouted off in the media when he shouldn't have, just generally immature and unprofessional. The clincher was last year during the Olympic break - he was playing the best hockey of his career (and seeing loads of icetime) going into the break, when he proceeded to party for the entire period off and came back completely out-of-shape with a whole bunch of extra weight. Canucks were pissed, and he never really regained favour in the organization.

Showed his immaturity again by spouting off about the Canuck coaches on the way out of town, which I'm sure impressed Trotz to no end.

Hope he does reasonably well for you guys and figures out how to be a professional.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:19 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Well if another trade and a contract year don't inspire Shane O'Brien to grow up, Shea Weber can unload some "inspiration" on him in practice.

I guess Ryan Parent is just destined to never play a game with Nashville.

I hope this deal works out for all players involved.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Soth

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Showed his immaturity again by spouting off about the Canuck coaches on the way out of town, which I'm sure impressed Trotz to no end.
Yeah I wonder how Trotz feels about having a guy that has complained to the media about his last two coaches coming to his team.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:48 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm thinking a younger version of Brendan Witt.
Not that far off.

I think Witt was always meaner .

SOB has a surprising ability to protect the puck and get it out of his zone. Very rare to see a turnover. Pretty good mobility for his size and plays a safe game.

Problems are with consistency and focus. When right, SOB can be hugely effective but has trouble sustaining this over time. Just seems to run out of gas.

As far as the trade goes Preds, at least in the short term, do well. SOB is better than Parent and certainly adds more toughness. If Parent ever realizes his potential then the trade is a lot more even. Rest of the trade is dumping contracts and helping a loaded Moose team to the Calder Cup.

SOB could be very good for the Preds this year.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post

The fight (and game) that started my hockey obsession. I called my dad and said, "remember that guy that Tootoo used as a punching bag at my first game? He's a Pred now."

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Nshpred87

SOB will be the Pacman Jones for the Predators, Im calling it now!!!

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Wow.. Why are Nashville fans upset?

When Vancouver was plagued with injuries last season, O'Brien stepped up to a top 4 role and did a very good job of it. He brings grit, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and has a lot of heart. People mention off ice issues, those are SEVERELY overblown. He's very vocal, passionate, and speaks his mind. Sometimes that gets him in trouble with his coach, but it makes him a fan favourite on the ice too when he's sticking up for his team mates.

The penalty issue is overblown, that was 2 seasons ago. Last year his PIM was at 79, while it was 196 the season previous.

O'Brien is a solid #5 defensemen who brings grit to the table and doesn't make many glarring mistakes. You guys will like him, and as a Vancouver fan I'm kinda sad to see him go.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Wow.. Why are Nashville fans upset?

When Vancouver was plagued with injuries last season, O'Brien stepped up to a top 4 role and did a very good job of it. He brings grit, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and has a lot of heart. People mention off ice issues, those are SEVERELY overblown. He's very vocal, passionate, and speaks his mind. Sometimes that gets him in trouble with his coach, but it makes him a fan favourite on the ice too when he's sticking up for his team mates.

The penalty issue is overblown, that was 2 seasons ago. Last year his PIM was at 79, while it was 196 the season previous.

O'Brien is a solid #5 defensemen who brings grit to the table and doesn't make many glarring mistakes. You guys will like him, and as a Vancouver fan I'm kinda sad to see him go.
How can you say that he doesnt make alot of mistakes, two years ago the guy had almost 200 PIM. He makes stupid mistakes all the time!!!

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote