HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds select JOONAS RASK - 7th round - 198th overall

Old
06-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds select JOONAS RASK - 7th round - 198th overall

Quote:
A left-handed forward who can play as both a center and winger. A very good skater. Useful on both powerplay and penalty kill. Not very good physically. (Matias Strozyk)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...=16049&lang=en

Younger brother of Boston goalie Tuukka Rask. Joonas has played past two seasons in Finnish Elite League where he is signed through next season. Passed over in the 2008 and 2009 drafts. Not necessarily a bad player to take a flyer on with your final pick. Skilled forward. I'd expect to see him in Milwaukee in the 2011-12 season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:20 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...=16049&lang=en

Younger brother of Boston goalie Tuukka Rask. Joonas has played past two seasons in Finnish Elite League where he is signed through next season. Passed over in the 2008 and 2009 drafts. Not necessarily a bad player to take a flyer on with your final pick. Skilled forward. I'd expect to see him in Milwaukee in the 2011-12 season.
Captain of the 2010 Finnish WJC team. For a seventh round pick, I love it. Behind Watson, my favorite pick of the draft.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
The club rounded out the class of 2010 with another hard-working pivot at pick No. 198 (seventh round). Joonas Rask, a Finnish center rated 82nd among European skaters by CSS, has spent the past two seasons with Ilves of the Finnish Elite League, most recently posting 19 points (10g-9a) in 43 games in 2009-10.

“We have described him as a Vernon Fiddler-type of player,” Predators European Scout Janne Kekalainen said of Rask. “He’s a good all-around player, who is full of heart, full of character, and has an extreme passion for the game.”

The younger brother of Boston Bruins netminder Tuuka Rask, Joonas has played in the past two World Junior Championships, posting two goals in six games in 2010, and four points (1g-3a) in six contests in 2009. The 5-11, 168-pound native of Savonlinna, Finland also captained his nation – as was named one of Finland’s three best players of the tournament – at the 2008 Under-18 World Championships after notching five points (1g-4a) in six games.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533017

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Pekka Lampinen

In the spring season Rask emerged as one of the best forwards of the poor Ilves squad, and there are high hopes for him to continue on that course. If he can attain a status as a legitimate SM-Liiga first liner, preferably already in 2010-11, then projections can be made about a possible NHL future. Although who knows, maybe the Preds will enter contract negotiations with him this summer.

And then, years from now, the Preds can use him to lure Tuukka in via free agency. Naturally.

Pekka Lampinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Lampinen View Post
In the spring season Rask emerged as one of the best forwards of the poor Ilves squad, and there are high hopes for him to continue on that course. If he can attain a status as a legitimate SM-Liiga first liner, preferably already in 2010-11, then projections can be made about a possible NHL future. Although who knows, maybe the Preds will enter contract negotiations with him this summer.

And then, years from now, the Preds can use him to lure Tuukka in via free agency. Naturally.
We already have the best Finnish goaltender in the world

Old
06-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Pekka Lampinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
We already have the best Finnish goaltender in the world
Well sure, but in a matter of two years and twenty hours, Rinne will be offered the league max by each of the 29 other franchises. Can the Preds match that? You gotta have contingency plans.

Pekka Lampinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Lampinen View Post
Well sure, but in a matter of two years and twenty hours, Rinne will be offered the league max by each of the 29 other franchises. Can the Preds match that? You gotta have contingency plans.
Chet Pickard, Jeremy Smith, Atte Engren, Anders Lindback, any draft pick which could happen in the future, UFA signing.

Trust me, there is a lot of options in the Predators' goalie depth. And I fully expect a goalie to be the first pick in the up coming draft.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Chet Pickard, Jeremy Smith, Atte Engren, Anders Lindback, any draft pick which could happen in the future, UFA signing.

Trust me, there is a lot of options in the Predators' goalie depth. And I fully expect a goalie to be the first pick in the up coming draft.
you're kidding right ? ... Chet hasn't even made it out of the AHL & you want to go ahead and select a goalie in the 1st ... I think it'll be a goalscoring forward ... not a poor man's Jordan Staal

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
you're kidding right ? ... Chet hasn't even made it out of the AHL & you want to go ahead and select a goalie in the 1st ... I think it'll be a goalscoring forward ... not a poor man's Jordan Staal
Yes, I would.

Now, going back to the topic of this thread; Rask is an overager, can you see the Preds signing him next year or will they wait the full 2 years for him to develop?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yes, I would.

Now, going back to the topic of this thread; Rask is an overager, can you see the Preds signing him next year or will they wait the full 2 years for him to develop?
I'd give him the 2 full years

Old
10-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Noma

Joonas played very good game today against Wild in an exhibition game. He challenged the defence bravely and had couple of very nice (and successful) dekes also. He didn't make it to the score table, but showed that he can really manage against NHL level players.

He has also played pretty well in the beginning of the season. 3+1=4 in 8 games. It may not look like much, but Ilves has been struggling and Joonas has been playing with couple of youngsters instead of experienced guys like last season.

Noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noma View Post
Joonas played very good game today against Wild in an exhibition game. He challenged the defence bravely and had couple of very nice (and successful) dekes also. He didn't make it to the score table, but showed that he can really manage against NHL level players.

He has also played pretty well in the beginning of the season. 3+1=4 in 8 games. It may not look like much, but Ilves has been struggling and Joonas has been playing with couple of youngsters instead of experienced guys like last season.
that's really good news to here, that he didn't shrink from the competition ... I hope he's able to keep it up & stay healthy for the rest of the season

Old
10-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Noma

Forgot to mention in the first post, Joonas was also the team captain in the Wild match with the primary captain Pasi Määttänen being injured.

Old
10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
kivaerijo

hope he gets over here soon. loved his play in the rookie camp.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Noma

Joonas scored his 4th of the season yesterday against KalPa Kuopio. If you're interested, I could write about his performances here this season?

Old
10-06-2010, 06:18 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm all for it. It would make keeping up with him much easier.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noma View Post
Joonas scored his 4th of the season yesterday against KalPa Kuopio. If you're interested, I could write about his performances here this season?
If you don't mind, can you put it in the Predators Prospects Update thread? It's our one-stop-shop for stuff like that