HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-06-2010, 09:54 AM
kivaerijo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nshpred87 View Post
How can you say that he doesnt make alot of mistakes, two years ago the guy had almost 200 PIM. He makes stupid mistakes all the time!!!
not sure if the sarcasm smiley should be there or not?

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:04 AM
OpenWheel

Four seasons ago, 140 penalty minutes in 62 games. (2.25 min/gm) Three seasons ago 154 in 77 games.(2.0/gm) Two years ago 196 in 76. (2.6/gm). Last year 79 in 65 for 1.2 min per game.

So when I see people indignant when others say he's good for a minor per game, and point out that last year he had far less, it makes me laugh a little. It seems for his career a minor per game (average) is indeed what he gets.

Conversely, last year he cut it way down on penalties and also had his best plus minus of +15. So to those who say he lost his edge last year, and either you accept his penalties or accept the loss of his edge, I say I'll take that loss of "edge".

I don't think we can know which Shane O'Brien we get until we see how Trotz uses him and how Trotz coaches him. I'm feeling better about this than yesterday.Because it sounds like he's a pretty good defender when he wants to be. And I trust Trotz. Poile says as fast as it happened he still talked to past coaches who say any character issues are overblown and he's a pretty reliable teammate. Must not have been the Vancouver coach he talked to though, heh.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-06-2010 at 10:37 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
SOB will be the Pacman Jones for the Predators, Im calling it now!!!
Umm, I can't think of anyone in the sport of hockey that could hold a candle to Adam Jones resume. Hockey players that wish to behave like that are weeded out early, rarely do they reach the NHL, and if they do they either dial it back or don't last long here.

I disagree. I think like Kostitsyn, O'Brien made some mistakes (which he takes responsibility for in his quotes), but when the coach goes to the media about it it was a sign to OB that he had given up on him and also then creates such a toxic environment for the player as you see the media taking more pot shots at him in their closing articles.

Does he have some maturity issues, sure. But the great thing about Nashville is that no matter how big you are in your chosen profession, there is always someone bigger than you right around the corner. Players and celebrities alike live among the community here and Trotz and the organization truly appreciate that and extend that vibe in all aspects of the team. Players aren't hounded wherever they go and the town is also small enough that the team can keep track of the guys if they start to become a problem. This isn't Montreal or Vancouver where hockey players are at the top of the heap and can't go anywhere without being recognized. This is Nashville.

O'Brien knows he was traded for, he knows the Predators felt that he could be the missing link on their defense for this season, and he knows that our team is focused and determined to achieve every hockey player's dream of winning the Cup.

Tell me again why O'Brien is going to act out in Nashville?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
MrJoshua

How many of those penalty minutes were fighting majors? How many were "good" penalties and how many were "bad"? I'm still a little confused by the trade but I'm going to reserve judgment on the player until I actually see him play.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
How many of those penalty minutes were fighting majors? How many were "good" penalties and how many were "bad"? I'm still a little confused by the trade but I'm going to reserve judgment on the player until I actually see him play.
Well obviously if he got a minor every game he'd be out of the league. So surely some are majors. His detractors say a lot of them are bad penalties because they're useless after whistle face wipes and stuff like that. His supporters seem to say he cut that crap out last year. It doesn't sound to me like he gets a lot of hooking and grabbing penalties that a guy who can't play gets. Even though people say he can't stay with the higher end, quicker forwards. I say, how many big defenders can?

I agree, let's see how he plays. I don't think the Preds brought him in as some sort of enforcer or muscle, they obviously think he is a good defender with the benefit of some size. So that's fine with me.

Old
10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
token grinder

Quote:
How can you say that he doesnt make alot of mistakes, two years ago the guy had almost 200 PIM. He makes stupid mistakes all the time!!!
do you really think he took 100 2 minute penalties? jesus, the guy sticks up for his teammates and fights for them. We complain about toughness all the damn time here and we finally get some and people ***** about it. I'm sorry, guys that are offensive wizards that score 75+points and will run through a brick wall for his teammates 1)doesn't grow on trees and 2) don't cost a measly 1.6 million.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Umm, I can't think of anyone in the sport of hockey that could hold a candle to Adam Jones resume. Hockey players that wish to behave like that are weeded out early, rarely do they reach the NHL, and if they do they either dial it back or don't last long here.

I disagree. I think like Kostitsyn, O'Brien made some mistakes (which he takes responsibility for in his quotes), but when the coach goes to the media about it it was a sign to OB that he had given up on him and also then creates such a toxic environment for the player as you see the media taking more pot shots at him in their closing articles.

Does he have some maturity issues, sure. But the great thing about Nashville is that no matter how big you are in your chosen profession, there is always someone bigger than you right around the corner. Players and celebrities alike live among the community here and Trotz and the organization truly appreciate that and extend that vibe in all aspects of the team. Players aren't hounded wherever they go and the town is also small enough that the team can keep track of the guys if they start to become a problem. This isn't Montreal or Vancouver where hockey players are at the top of the heap and can't go anywhere without being recognized. This is Nashville.

O'Brien knows he was traded for, he knows the Predators felt that he could be the missing link on their defense for this season, and he knows that our team is focused and determined to achieve every hockey player's dream of winning the Cup.

Tell me again why O'Brien is going to act out in Nashville?
He can try to live up to the Pacman Jones lifestyle atleast. He is known for sleeping in from being out late the night before drinking away. But hey maybe him and TooToo will become friends and Nashville will have its own Night at the Roxbury brothers..

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
do you really think he took 100 2 minute penalties? jesus, the guy sticks up for his teammates and fights for them. We complain about toughness all the damn time here and we finally get some and people ***** about it. I'm sorry, guys that are offensive wizards that score 75+points and will run through a brick wall for his teammates 1)doesn't grow on trees and 2) don't cost a measly 1.6 million.
Nobody ever said that all his penalties were 2 min minors, read before you accuse. And im all for toughness but in a smart way not the SOB way!

Old
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
OpenWheel

Legwand's been out on the town a few times in his career. As far as I know O'Brien never got a DUI...

Besides, they say he's in good hockey shape this year. And he's in a contract year. This trade is looking OK.

Old
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Nshpred87

Legwand also shows up for Practice ( or a few hours after his child is born) on time. And doesn't bad mouth the coach.

Old
10-06-2010, 10:49 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

You can't be a media problem if there is no media to cover you. Seriously. He's going from a Canadian team where 8 billion cameras are shoved into your face every night to Nashville where he might be lucky to see maybe ONE camera and 8 billion bloggers who might just buy him a beer after the game at Toosie's.

He's going from an environment where the media has a degree in proctology and wraps there instruments in razor wire to the Nashville media where they perfected 'Who are you and what is this hockey thing?'

As much as we as fans whine about the lack of coverage, Nashville is using it as a selling point. A place where the taxes are low, the media is non existent, and you can be 'human'. To be honest, if the Country music stars, Titans, ETC can walk down the street and not be bothered what' s a hockey player going to see? Hell, HE might be doing the star watching here.

SK and SOB pure and simple have gone to a place where they expect you to play hockey. Not be a CEO, not be a spokesman, just be yourself and play hockey.

Who WOULDN'T want that?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
predfan24

The whole going out thing is being blown out of proportion. Tootoo has tore this town up for years but I've never seen it affect his hockey play. What players do in their spare time is their business as long as it doesn't affect their hockey play. It's all about responsibility. It's not too hard and SOB sounds like a pretty intelligent guy. I'm sure he has figured it out.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Legwand also shows up for Practice ( or a few hours after his child is born) on time. And doesn't bad mouth the coach.
I know, I'm not bashing Legwand. And O'Brien did a little of that one year, last year. To say he's known for missing practice and partying all night off of one incident in one season is sort of dumb. It sounds as if he was late for one practice and put on weight over the Olympic break, one year. Poile says his other coaches say he's not that way. I'll take Poile's research. If O'Brien parties all the time I wonder how he managed to show up for camp in the best shape of his career, which is what several media people have written. There must not be any clubs open in the off-season so he was able to focus on training?

Old
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Nshpred87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I know, I'm not bashing Legwand. And O'Brien did a little of that one year, last year. To say he's known for missing practice and partying all night off of one incident in one season is sort of dumb. It sounds as if he was late for one practice and put on weight over the Olympic break, one year. Poile says his other coaches say he's not that way. I'll take Poile's research. If O'Brien parties all the time I wonder how he managed to show up for camp in the best shape of his career, which is what several media people have written. There must not be any clubs open in the off-season so he was able to focus on training?

I would love to see SOB come in here with a mature attitude and be a good dman who protects our guys but with everything I've read and all the reports on him, and the fact that he bad mouths his coach i just find him classless.

Old
10-06-2010, 11:27 AM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Canucks fan here; always liked SOB but he seemed like a troublemaker. Doesn't score you a lot of goals but he's a pretty solid bottom-pairing guy when he keeps his head.

Here's his finest highlight: Only regular season goal in 2 years with Vancouver (he had 2 in the playoffs.)

Oops, wrong one. My bad

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:38 AM
OpenWheel

Look at his hustle in that first clip. He even dove! There's a guy who will go all out for his team!

I see the little spin move that has been talked about, in the second clip. Hopefully he won't go overboard with that.

Old
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

That goal isn't O'Brien's fault, it's Henrik's but Hank didn't bother trying to dive for it

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
OpenWheel

Yeah, it wasn't O'Brien's fault anyway.

I don't get how it counted. Seemed as if the team under the penalty swatted it toward the goal. O'Brien just tried to corral it at the same time but the swat knocked it over his stick.

Old
10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

So now that Parent has cleared waivers, and is fully in the Canucks system....just how bad is he? Would you guys label him a full bust at age 23?

He'll most likely spend the entire year on the farm team down in Manitoba so doubtful he'd see NHL ice for the Canucks until at least next season.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

you should probably ask Philly...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
BloatedGuppy

I really liked O'Brien, to be honest, and I'm a little sorry to see him go.

PROS

He's an affable galoot, and seems well liked in the dressing room. He's not enormously physical (largely because he gets into crazy penalty trouble when he tries), but he plays the game with a little edge, and is willing to fight to stick up for his teammates. He's big and strong. He's reasonably mobile for his size. When his head is in the game, he can surprise with sound, reasonably error free positional defense. When he was asked to step up and play top 4 minutes after the team was hit with a rash of injuries, he delivered some of his best hockey of the season.

CONS

Seems to struggle with conditioning and weight, which put him in permanent arrears with AV, who is a conditioning freak. Not the most intellectual of players...picks his spots poorly, especially when attempting to play a physical game. Seems perpetually in hot water with officials. Offensive non-factor, just lacks the instincts for it, never mind the skill. Has demonstrated a propensity for entitlement issues...frequently chirps to the media when he feels his ice time is unfairly truncated or if he doesn't like the role he's being used in.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
you should probably ask Philly...
I think Parent is\could be a solid bottom pairing defender. He's never going to be what he appeared to be when drafted-- I think the injuries have played to that, but he should be good depth for the Canucks. He's not great, but he doesn't suck.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:50 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I got completely jazzed up watching those clips, I cant wait for this weekend!!!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Federko

All this party/party talk on SOB is blown out of the water a little bit...

Here is an article out of Vancouver... SOB discusses how he felt he was being treated by Vancouver's coach. It's no secret to Canuck fans that there coach has "his favorites"...

Here's the link:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Bri...#ixzz11XgjLDSJ

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
OK, I think I'll wait and let him do some of this stuff here before i get all bent out of shape.

Poile was obviously not convinced that we had the defense we needed and he made a move. it wasnt a salary dump and it wasnt a desperation move because of injury.

All the worrying about his past wont change the fact that he is here, now. So lets let him don a jersey and skate a game or two before we pronounce him a bad acquisition.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote