HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan Fischler's NYR Preview :facepalm:

Old
10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
skymachine

vCash: 500
When did MSG network become such an on-air circus?? Stan, Al Trautwig, Mike Keenan (is he still there?), Joe M, Chico, Butch Goring, Dano, Dave Maloney....how do we all stand these clowns??

The only 3 on air personnel I probably respect are Sam, Doc, and Howie...and theyre all PBP guys (i.e.they dont share their opinions as often).

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
severian

His player predictions for the Rangers are ridiculous, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs. Having a top flight goalie like Lundqvist will keep them in the mix. I can see the Rangers as a 7 or 8 seed.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Time to sit on the porch and drink lemonade, Stan.

I can't figure out who needs to go first, Stan, or Lou Holtz on College Gameday? Now that, is a disgrace. He can't even speak anymore.

Oh, throwing in another one: Dick Clark... like...wow...
Thank you! It's been a rough week! lol

Yes, the MSG crew has become quite hilarious the past few years. Though I Like Dave Maloney, love Sam for PBP, Joe I can tolerate, Goring doesn't grate on my nerves quite as much as when he first came on, and the big-head, goofy Daneyko is endearing to me because he doesn't pretend NOT to be a total NJ Homer. Chico's hair is a star all by itself. They should just put a mike in front of his hair and do a voice-over. Dugay is scary at times. Thank God Espo is not around or my head would explode.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Cringe-worthy article by Stan. These nicknames... I couldn't even read past "Mark of Zorro."

It's getting to the point where MSG should be nudging him towards retirement. Stan's almost 80 years old and he doesn't have much to offer in terms of analysis... he's just a homer for the 3 NYC area hockey teams.
You got that right. In his analyses he fastens on the most tangential aspects. But he's been this erratic since his days as a color commentator for Islander broadcasts in the 1970s.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

In defense of Stan and MSG to a degree, I think he's meant to be "entertaining" and taking his "predictions" seriously might be a little silly.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes right. fro has looked solid but hes a complimentary player. pass first guy.

and now we have no prospal.

im no melrose fanboy, but hes dead right.

scoring goals at even strength will be um.... difficult
I'll take a complimentary player who scored 35 goals at one point any day of the week. And he's still relatively young, so it's not like his best years are behind him

If he scores 30 that will be already 10 more than anyone other than Gaborik scored last season.

Biggest problem right is now the possible permanent loss of Prospal who, even during his worst years, is a contributor on some level. Also, the defense didn't exactly inspire confidence in me during the preseason. Hopefully the guys were just rusty

But I definitely think this years team will score more goals. I would say about 10-15 more if we can stay relatively healthy (those additional goals coming mainly from Anisimov, Frolov, Drury and Stepan)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Fischler hates the Rangers.

He touts them now because he's finally working for them but Fischler has been a Ranger hater for years. He grew up as a Ranger fan and desperately wanted to work for the Rangers as a broadcaster in the 1960's and 1970's but the Rangers had the good sense to tell him to get lost.

The islanders picked his ugly ass up in the 1970's and he was in love with them. When the islanders went south he adopted the devils - and lovingly calls them 'the devs' because he's an anti-Ranger front runner. The current situation with MSG where the hockey coverage has merged has finally given him a chance to be associated with the Rangers. He can't show his true feelings because Ranger fans would kill him.

This is not idle gossip. I knew Fischler's best friend for years. He published some of Fischler's books which I always was given free copies of. He helped this friend's son get a job as a hockey writer straight out of school. I never let Fischler forget that I know he hates the Rangers so if he's around the Garden it's always good for a fight.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Back in my day peanut brittle was the bee's knee's, moon pies were a nickle, & Broadway Blue diddly dandly blueshirts we kings of New Amsterdam.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:18 PM
gotmonte

every year Fishler says we are bound for greener pastures, we miss the ENTIRE PLAYOFFS.

Stan stay talking about what you know. The subways and train systems. You are a useless piece of garbage and have NO right to talk hockey. Your a scrub and I rather listen to Doc Emeric (Shoot me now PLEASE!) over your silliness of picks. Your a homer or should I just say HOMO

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Utter schill.

That's all Fischler is. He's just the lowest ranking yes man in the Ranger organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Stan stay talking about what you know. The subways and train systems. You are a useless piece of garbage and have NO right to talk hockey. Your a scrub and I rather listen to Doc Emeric (Shoot me now PLEASE!) over your silliness of picks. Your a homer or should I just say HOMO
LOL

You REALLY don't like him, man. He's just an annoying old guy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
every year Fishler says we are bound for greener pastures, we miss the ENTIRE PLAYOFFS.

HOMER STANLEY!

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im sure you remember 20 years ago when he'd be on Sportschannel bashing the Rangers.
And that's my problem with Stan. Nice guy but I remember him always bashing the Rangers during the Kelly Kissio years and first few years of Messier.

Not to mention he couldn't pronounce Jan Erixon's name correctly and it drove me nuts.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Why is he using those stupid nicknames? Is he stealing Chris Berman's shtick now? Fischler's mind must be going at his advanced age.

Shining reference?

Very, very impressive sir.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Bulls9220

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
There's no way either one will score 30.
They will (combined)

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:59 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But see that's the whole thing. If he was used in the right manner — historical pieces, retrospectives, the occasional studio appearance — he'd be endearing. He's great on the MSG Vault shows. The fact they're using him as an expert/insider is a farce.
What's amazing is that a guy who's been around the game this long can't provide any useful nor accurate insight about the game as it's played today...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:21 AM
ret513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

He touts them now because he's finally working for them but Fischler has been a Ranger hater for years. He grew up as a Ranger fan and desperately wanted to work for the Rangers as a broadcaster in the 1960's and 1970's but the Rangers had the good sense to tell him to get lost.

The islanders picked his ugly ass up in the 1970's and he was in love with them. When the islanders went south he adopted the devils - and lovingly calls them 'the devs' because he's an anti-Ranger front runner. The current situation with MSG where the hockey coverage has merged has finally given him a chance to be associated with the Rangers. He can't show his true feelings because Ranger fans would kill him.

This is not idle gossip. I knew Fischler's best friend for years. He published some of Fischler's books which I always was given free copies of. He helped this friend's son get a job as a hockey writer straight out of school. I never let Fischler forget that I know he hates the Rangers so if he's around the Garden it's always good for a fight.
Yea.. I still cant get past his "fishie" side. Him and Jiggs Mcdonald were pure torture to listen to with the whiney nasal voices and his hatred of the Rangers. He even looked 80 back then

ret513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

We're going to finish 5th and play the 4th place Devils.

And we're going to win.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Lol..this thread is Golden. I absolutely cannot stand Fischler, Ttwig, Joe and recently, Sam. He is an absolute tool when he is calling a game with Joe, and it's really annoying. As a PBP guy, he is still awesome, and that was proven to me in the playoffs last year, when he called games without Joe..but the 2 of them together I wanna freaking STRANGLE!!!

I long for the days of Kenny Albert and Sal Messina.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

be gentle with him you might break his hip

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Lol..this thread is Golden. I absolutely cannot stand Fischler, Ttwig, Joe and recently, Sam. He is an absolute tool when he is calling a game with Joe, and it's really annoying. As a PBP guy, he is still awesome, and that was proven to me in the playoffs last year, when he called games without Joe..but the 2 of them together I wanna freaking STRANGLE!!!

I long for the days of Kenny Albert and Sal Messina.
I'd just like to have JD back. Sam and JD were the best.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I'd love this if it were Sam and JD from 10 years ago. Sam is starting to slip a little.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
pld459666

It's amazing what a shill he really is.

It used to be that he killed the Rangers at every turn, but now that he works for MSG, they are the most bestest franchise if the whole wide world, regardless of what Chich Resch may want you to believe.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Totally agree. Even my Devils fan wife and her Devils fan brother and father love JD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I'd love this if it were Sam and JD from 10 years ago. Sam is starting to slip a little.
He definitely has lost a step..but hearing him call games on his own last year, without any of the MSG goon squad, was a revelation for me..I almost wish he'd get fired from the Rangers so he could go some place else and be good again!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What's amazing is that a guy who's been around the game this long can't provide any useful nor accurate insight about the game as it's played today...
That part actually doesn't surprise me in the least. The game is so different now from how it was played in the past. It's the same reason Don Cherry sounds ridiculous as often as he does (ignoring the xenophobia and jingoism, of course).

Even Daneyko realizes it, though he always says "you guys know I'm old school, but...". I don't mind him as an analyst, actually. As someone said earlier, he's a huge homer, but doesn't pretend otherwise.

What's terrible is Butch picking the Isles to make the playoffs after the Streit and Okposo injuries.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
That part actually doesn't surprise me in the least. The game is so different now from how it was played in the past. It's the same reason Don Cherry sounds ridiculous as often as he does (ignoring the xenophobia and jingoism, of course).
But Fischler's watching these games isn't he? How can he not use his brain to provide some useful insight independent of how the game was played in the various previous decades?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote