HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warm welcome for Niemi?

Old
10-05-2010, 02:44 AM
nbozich22

vCash: 500
Warm welcome for Niemi?

I was wondering what kind of reaction Niemi will get when he hits the ice.. Think he'll get boo'd or a standing O ?

nbozich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:17 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Mixed...moderate applause, some derision.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:30 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Standing O for his incredibly sub-par goaltending is my guess. Niemi should give applause to the Hawks for making him look better than he really is.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

nothing... this is the business side.

thanks for winning us the Cup, but you wanted to much... this is what I think about him

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:51 AM
JUICEY*

I'd boo his agent.

SJ are quickly becoming my least favorite team(other than Canucks) outside of the Central. First Hammer and now Niemi. Trying to copy us or what.

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Steve Larmer

kinda surprised by the comments thus far in here.

I think he absolutely get's a standing O from the majority of the UC crowd. I think the general consensus among casual/uneducated fans is that the team "just couldn't afford to keep him". Of course, everyone in here knows that it was more complicated than that, but I think the joe schmo's out there think it was more the hawks fault than Niemi's for him leaving.

Steve Larmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
HartforHoss

I think he'll get applause. I kind of felt sorry for him in this situation. It seems like he had a genuine desire to stay and got squeezed out by an agent who had too much pride to do what was in his clients best interest in a tough situation. Now he will platoon for less money. Kind of a raw deal.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:42 AM
enforcersrule

He backstopped the Hawks to their first cup in over 40 years, mediocre goaltending or not, and left because his agent was too stupid to take the deal the Hawks were offering. Fans can understand this.

Niemi had said he wanted to stay and he seemed to really enjoy the city - I'll never forget how humbled he looked at the parade, smiling and holding out his index finger (as in "we're number 1")... I think most fans understand he didn't leave on his own accord, but rather for a number of factors that weren't really in his hands.

He'll be applauded.

enforcersrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

He'll get a huge ovation as he should.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
AmishRenegade

I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get a standing ovation.

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:59 AM
IJReilly

I blame the agent for giving him bad advice, so my opinion of Niemi really hasn't changed since the Cup win.

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Suburbanbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post
I blame the agent for giving him bad advice, so my opinion of Niemi really hasn't changed since the Cup win.
Have to admit that I don't agree with this position (and it seems pretty common amongst Hawk fans). I have nothing against Niemi but to "blame the agent" in any sport is just silly....and especially problematic IMO with Niemi who really owes a lot to the Hawks. I hear that he "wanted to stay in Chicago"...well they did offer him a multi-year, multi-million contract.

I don't blame the agent - he worked for Niemi not the other way around. Niemi is the one who chose to take the risk and it backfired. He is an adult who made a decision to play for more money rather than to play where he would have been supported by one of the best defenses in the NHL. He got less of both...and BTW he hasn't fired his agent.

I want him to come to CHicago and FAIL. I will not applaud for him one iota any longer...Chicago's appreciation for his work was demonstrated LAST year. Its not like this guy played multiple seasons for the Hawks...hell he didn't even play a whole single season. He played part of one in front of the best defense in the league.

It's a new year now...if a chorus of boos would shake him up (even a little bit), it is our responsibility as fans to boo him IMO. The Sharks are quickly becoming one of my least favorite teams and he is their goalie...boo the mf'er.

just my 2 cents

Suburbanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Coach Qs Stache

On Hockey This Morning on NHL Home Ice on XM Radio, Denny Potvin said that he thought Niemi is a flash in the pan goalie, and SJ will learn that quick.

I agree in the sense that he was a servicable goalie, what the Hawks needed, through the play-offs. The NHL is littered with stories of great one year goalies that never did it again (Jim Carey anyone?). Do it again, and it's no flash.
The Turco-Crawford tandem will be effective for the Hawks, and Niemi will languish in mediocrity.

I do believe he gets a warm and deserving welcome from the UC croud, though!

Coach Qs Stache is offline   Reply With Quote