HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Brunet talks about criticism he gets as an analyst

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2010, 09:10 PM
  #126
Mr Rogers
Registered User
 
Mr Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
http://www.ckac.com/em/sports-du-lit-8.html

This is Langevin's page I guess. Anyways he put up a poll. You know what to do.

Maybe we can squeeze an apology to Mathias Brunet out of him. Or at least one from Grégoire because that was just disgusting.

Well the poll is oddly worded...

Is it ''pour ou contre'' Langevin's opinion on the matter. Or ''pour ou contre Mathias' blog?

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:27 PM
  #127
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
I keep hearing how Habs fans are the most knowledgeable fans in hockey...

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
  #128
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy View Post
Well the poll is oddly worded...

Is it ''pour ou contre'' Langevin's opinion on the matter. Or ''pour ou contre Mathias' blog?
It's pour ou contre Langevin's opinion. Contre is at 69% at the moment. Let's hope he mentions his poll tomorrow and apologizes to Mathias.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
  #129
ILUVTHISGAME
Registered User
 
ILUVTHISGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
I would simply like to hear BB call a game in a positive manner!
You know, cheering on the Habs instead of talking them down by criticizing e v e r y t h i n g !.
i.e.: Price is simply standing in front of his net= 'Y'é fatigué'..or 'Y'a pas l'air trop certain' AARRGGHH!!

When he laughs (ho ho ho) when the Habs get scored on makes me want to poke him in the eyes! And then he goes on about what a great goal the other team scored!!! I mean, w t f..?

He should stick to the facts and not try to sell us his opinion.
Or, hey...here's an idea: call the opposing team's game...he does most of the time anyway.

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
  #130
hockeysense*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Speaks volumes of the fan-base that a hockey analyst has thought about what would happen if his family were to be harassed for what he says about the team. Sad.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
  #131
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhalloffame View Post
Speaks volumes of the fan-base that a hockey analyst has thought about what would happen if his family were to be harassed for what he says about the team. Sad.
wah wah wah wah

If his 9 year old child gets teased by classmates let's just label the entire fan base as savages -- I bet that would make you feel better about things.

Their father is one of the most exposed personalities in Quebec and the vast majority that express their opinion on the matter think he sucks at his job. If there is a significant size group that appreciates him they certainly are not coming out and expressing it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:05 AM
  #132
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む
 
Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Talking about Vercheval...Was watching the Pats/Dolphins MNF game yesterday. End of second. The Pats get a 1st down at Miami's 20, with about 50 secs left. Brady calls everyone to take position so he can kill the ball and stop the clock. Suddenly I hear Vercheval saying (with an excited voice) - "Watch out there! Beware!". The snap comes and instead of stopping the clock, Brady attempts a TD pass to Randy Moss. Then, Pierre says - "While he was faking the call, Brady looked at Moss and touched his helmet. That was the sign right there. He did it before in the game against....". The replay confirms it.

Is this relevant to the Brunet topic ? I think it is. That's what a colour analyst should act like...
Vercheval is simply AWESOME. Him and Casavant make the perfect pair for football. No need to tune in the American or Canadian broadcasts with those two around.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:05 AM
  #133
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
  #134
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4YO View Post
Vercheval is simply AWESOME. Him and Casavant make the perfect pair for football. No need to tune in the American or Canadian broadcasts with those two around.
What you're saying is very intriguing. I have access to American NFL coverage, not to mention TSN for Als games. Yet, whenever I can listed to a RDS broadcast .... no hesitation. Vercheval is a part of that.

I bet he knows all the players in every practice squad. He sees things on the field that noone else does. He could talk hours about boring technical stuff. He doesn't - he keeps it simple yet very interesting and informative.

Then comes Grégoire that says - "The average viewer does not know about the rookies in the West so the colour guy on RDS does not have to".

Kinda like - "The average 7 year old kid does not know how to read so his teacher does not need to know either" Duh!

Maybe football requires more intellectual qualities from the players then hockey. Learning a 5 pound playbook by heart every year is a tough selection process. However, they should be able to find a smarter guy then Brunet that played in the NHL.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:00 PM
  #135
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,221
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Don't ruin one of the best movies ever like that.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
  #136
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Don't ruin one of the best movies ever like that.
More-so don't loop Pierre into the same category as Benoit

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
  #137
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
What you're saying is very intriguing. I have access to American NFL coverage, not to mention TSN for Als games. Yet, whenever I can listed to a RDS broadcast .... no hesitation. Vercheval is a part of that.

I bet he knows all the players in every practice squad. He sees things on the field that noone else does. He could talk hours about boring technical stuff. He doesn't - he keeps it simple yet very interesting and informative.

Then comes Grégoire that says - "The average viewer does not know about the rookies in the West so the colour guy on RDS does not have to".

Kinda like - "The average 7 year old kid does not know how to read so his teacher does not need to know either" Duh!

Maybe football requires more intellectual qualities from the players then hockey. Learning a 5 pound playbook by heart every year is a tough selection process. However, they should be able to find a smarter guy then Brunet that played in the NHL.
Joel Bouchard would have been a very acceptable choice, one that would have improved the broadcast ten fold, so would Marc Denis, and the worst about all this is that they were already on RDS' payroll. But they chose to ignore the obvious about Benoit because first, RDS doesn't have to worry about competition, therefore making their product better and second, it is my somewhat informed opinion that BB has friends within RDS that have his back. Knowing people working at RDS, I got to understand that "who you know" seems to be a very strong part of company culture over there (not backing this up with inside info creds, just stating it as my opinion).


Last edited by Munchausen: 10-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
  #138
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Wow, the responses to M. Brunet's blog are quite interesting! I'd say at least 90% support Mathias is his criticism/analysis of Benoit Brunet.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
  #139
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
So funny hearing CKAC painting BB as a martyr. Jesus.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
  #140
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Why blame Brunet ?

Just blame and write to RDS, his employer who are keeping him in this role. They have better analysts in their hands right now: Bouchard & Marc Denis.

It's like people who cannot forgive Mario Tremblay and Houle... While it was all Ron Corey's fault.
That's what I said a few posts above. The guy does his job the best he can. The problem is and always been RDS as a whole. A bunch incompetent fools that only see $$$. The hot bed of hockey and all we're getting is second rate material.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
  #141
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTHISGAME View Post
I would simply like to hear BB call a game in a positive manner!
You know, cheering on the Habs instead of talking them down by criticizing e v e r y t h i n g !.
i.e.: Price is simply standing in front of his net= 'Y'é fatigué'..or 'Y'a pas l'air trop certain' AARRGGHH!!

When he laughs (ho ho ho) when the Habs get scored on makes me want to poke him in the eyes! And then he goes on about what a great goal the other team scored!!! I mean, w t f..?

He should stick to the facts and not try to sell us his opinion.
Or, hey...here's an idea: call the opposing team's game...he does most of the time anyway.
What's funny it's the crux the crux of Mathias Brunet's negative opinion of BB is that his mastery of language is poor and he enjoys fighting but personaly I hate BB because of his poor judgement and how negative he is.

Bottom line too many opinions instead of describing what he sees. When he says "bad job by the refs" or "good job by the refs" there's nothing that piss me more than this. Because we should ourselves pass judgement on what he sees, not him. It's like he's trying to cover his butt when the Habs gets penalized and he says "good job by the refs" because he wants to look not too pro-Habs because he's a former player. And it has screwed up effect. The only guy that's comparable to him in the english broadcasting of hockey is Ray Ferarro. He's as bad and not objective but Ray is like the 5 fifth guy in the totem pole we get to hear so it's less a big deal. We have a choice with other guys.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
  #142
ppil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
So funny hearing CKAC painting BB as a martyr. Jesus.
Yeah, Michel Villeneuve asked Ron and Bergeron what they were thinking about this whole thing, and Ron said that Mathias was a bad guy for "criticizing and saying bad things publicly about a guy who was only trying to do his job the best he can" (or something close to that) and I find it pretty hypocrite from them because that's exactly what they are doing with habs players, and most of the time, they aren't as gentle as Mathias is…

Only Réjean Tremblay took Mathias side, that's sad…

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:32 AM
  #143
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Yeah, Michel Villeneuve asked Ron and Bergeron what they were thinking about this whole thing, and Ron said that Mathias was a bad guy for "criticizing and saying bad things publicly about a guy who was only trying to do his job the best he can" (or something close to that) and I find it pretty hypocrite from them because that's exactly what they are doing with habs players, and most of the time, they aren't as gentle as Mathias is…

Only Réjean Tremblay took Mathias side, that's sad…
Tremblay has his own agenda against RDS and the Habs. Not much credibility there.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:09 AM
  #144
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Tremblay has his own agenda against RDS and the Habs. Not much credibility there.
You are true but it is more thant that.

Rejean is still defending a colleague. And its the whole "old school" written media that pays attention to punctuation and language and subject research versus the "new school" electronic fast shooting media that lives on controversy and "tabaslaks" - to quote Ron Fournier.

Obviously Fournier and Bergeron will defend Benoit Brunet - they are very, very similar in what they do.

On a side note, Mathias Brunet predicted (two days ago on CKAC) a big win for Edmonton yesterday Must be useful to know the rookies from the West after all.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
  #145
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
They are all afraid because they are aware that they are next on the list.

CKAC as offered to its listeners over the past years color man, and cheap labor time filling guys who have an INNORMOUS problem to speak french.

It's not even funny. There is no way these guys could find a job elsewhere. Mario Langlois, Pierre Trudel... those guys where able to speak for a minute without scrapping their no.1 language. The cheap labor hired over the past years is just unable to do so.

French is one thing. What is even more problematic is that the color men can't bring anymore original ideas or intelligent analysis like Dany Dubé has done. And he is their main problem: the guys knows what he talks about and is just putting the bar to high for them.

At least, that is what they think.

But hard word always pays off. Instead of whinning on the radio, they should be watching more games, reading more scouting reports (like Mathias Brunet does in fact)... SIMPLY DO THEIR JOB!

They have been working for to long in a ghetto since the Quebec media coverage joined the Montreal crew (Villeneuve, Gagnon). This has to change, and while the "Dubé", "Bouchard" and "Houde" won't say a thing about it because it would be like critisizing the "Communist Party", they are probably very happy about what is going on because finally, someone is speaking for the listeners, and hopefully, Bell/Globemedia will listen.

By the way, I am leaving Bell next month for several reasons that I will list in a letter, and I will add this point... Could be useless, but when they lose money, they don't like it.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
  #146
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
They are all afraid because they are aware that they are next on the list.

CKAC as offered to its listeners over the past years color man, and cheap labor time filling guys who have an INNORMOUS problem to speak french.

It's not even funny. There is no way these guys could find a job elsewhere. Mario Langlois, Pierre Trudel... those guys where able to speak for a minute without scrapping their no.1 language. The cheap labor hired over the past years is just unable to do so.

French is one thing. What is even more problematic is that the color men can't bring anymore original ideas or intelligent analysis like Dany Dubé has done. And he is their main problem: the guys knows what he talks about and is just putting the bar to high for them.

At least, that is what they think.

But hard word always pays off. Instead of whinning on the radio, they should be watching more games, reading more scouting reports (like Mathias Brunet does in fact)... SIMPLY DO THEIR JOB!

They have been working for to long in a ghetto since the Quebec media coverage joined the Montreal crew (Villeneuve, Gagnon). This has to change, and while the "Dubé", "Bouchard" and "Houde" won't say a thing about it because it would be like critisizing the "Communist Party", they are probably very happy about what is going on because finally, someone is speaking for the listeners, and hopefully, Bell/Globemedia will listen.

By the way, I am leaving Bell next month for several reasons that I will list in a letter, and I will add this point... Could be useless, but when they lose money, they don't like it.

I think it started with 110%. As someone said - it was one of the two guilty pleasures of listeners on TQS (the other being "Bleu nuit" - people were watching but would never admit it). It has promoted a particular vision on sports "experts" and "shows" and "debates".

There's this new Hockey 360 show that's a bit intriguing. I trust Arseneault, I trust Carbonneau and even Mario Tremblay (who is still a lot more informed and competent in hockey then the rest of the Antichambre crew). However, while the "Zone" had the better content last year, I doubt it had the better ratings. Go figure.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
  #147
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I think it started with 110%. As someone said - it was one of the two guilty pleasures of listeners on TQS (the other being "Bleu nuit" - people were watching but would never admit it). It has promoted a particular vision on sports "experts" and "shows" and "debates".

There's this new Hockey 360 show that's a bit intriguing. I trust Arseneault, I trust Carbonneau and even Mario Tremblay (who is still a lot more informed and competent in hockey then the rest of the Antichambre crew). However, while the "Zone" had the better content last year, I doubt it had the better ratings. Go figure.
La Zone is officially canceled??? It was by far better than 110% or l'Antichambre. Have not seen 360 yet.

How was Benoit yesterday? I watched on CBC.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
  #148
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I think it started with 110%. As someone said - it was one of the two guilty pleasures of listeners on TQS (the other being "Bleu nuit" - people were watching but would never admit it). It has promoted a particular vision on sports "experts" and "shows" and "debates".

There's this new Hockey 360 show that's a bit intriguing. I trust Arseneault, I trust Carbonneau and even Mario Tremblay (who is still a lot more informed and competent in hockey then the rest of the Antichambre crew). However, while the "Zone" had the better content last year, I doubt it had the better ratings. Go figure.
The problem with Arseneault is that he's boring as Hell. When he was covering the Alls, he was making me change channels. That's been one of the big problems with Montreal broadcasters in that the frantic ones are the stupid ones while the most knowledgeable journalists are rather bland and academic. Only really Danny and Martin on radio during Habs games can combine the two elements well. Denis Casavant is one for example that has a good mind for sports and he's objective but he has a rather tame personality.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.