HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SI Atlantic Preview

Old
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
aslim240

vCash: 500
SI Atlantic Preview

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

I laughed at this part:

"How does GM Glen Sather address a team that stumbled out of the playoffs on the season's final shot? He allows one enigmatic forward (Jokinen) to walk and replaces him with a pair of equally frustrating talents in Frolov and Fedotenko. He dumps one benchwarming goon (Shelley) for another (Boogaard). And he does nothing about that gaping void down the middle. If progress has been made, it has yet to reveal itself."

A little harsh, but I agree with the general concept of it is still hard to picture this team scoring enough goals to avoid the 6-10 soup in April. He did have nice things to say about Stepan though.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Any preview that has the Devils 3rd in the Atlantic is bunk.

Sports Illustrated is garbage, everyone knows that anyways.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
FOXHOUND*

Here's a question SI, what should the rangers have done then?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Shadowtron

The comment about DiPietro's body being held together by twine and gum had me cracking up.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:42 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Where does it say the Devils are 3rd in the Atlantic?

BOTTOM LINE: Deeper on offense, steadier on defense and fresher in net, the Devils should make another run at the division title., More important, they appear to have what it takes to break that first-round curse.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz11b7VbsOq

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Gatorade*

Strange part of all these season predictions is that none of these writers say anything about the Rangers improving from within as their core matures.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Strange part of all these season predictions is that none of these writers say anything about the Rangers improving from within as their core matures.
Writers tend to take a wait and see attitude regarding that, and with good reason. Every team has core players that are maturing...everyone gets older. So until actual improvement is shown, deciding which team's prospects will mature first and actually start contributing and filling needs is a pure guessing game.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Not really, both the Pens and Flyers are deeper, especially on defense. The Debbies, Pens, Flyers, Caps and Bruins are the top 5 teams in the conference. Two of the Debbies, Pens and Flyers are likely to match up in the 4/5 slot in the 1st round of the playoffs.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Wait. Sports Illustrated covers hockey?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Writers tend to take a wait and see attitude regarding that, and with good reason. Every team has core players that are maturing...everyone gets older. So until actual improvement is shown, deciding which team's prospects will mature first and actually start contributing and filling needs is a pure guessing game.
Why people continue to leave this out of the equation when talking about how the Rangers improved is beyond me. Atlanta has Bogosian, Little, Kane and Bergfors as young players likely to improve. Pittsburgh's core is Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Letang and Fleury...same general ages as Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov and Staal. TB has Stamkos and Hedman. Other teams have young players that will also get better.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:20 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Where does it say the Devils are 3rd in the Atlantic?

BOTTOM LINE: Deeper on offense, steadier on defense and fresher in net, the Devils should make another run at the division title., More important, they appear to have what it takes to break that first-round curse.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz11b7VbsOq
Actually, that article has them 3rd in the DIVISION.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Why people continue to leave this out of the equation when talking about how the Rangers improved is beyond me. Atlanta has Bogosian, Little, Kane and Bergfors as young players likely to improve. Pittsburgh's core is Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Letang and Fleury...same general ages as Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov and Staal. TB has Stamkos and Hedman. Other teams have young players that will also get better.
Really good point... Most NHL teams believe they have a great core of up and coming prospects. Full of optimism and etc.. In fact, it would concern me if teams do not hype their prospects... The key is to see which prospects make it and succeed in the NHL....

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Familiarity helps it. The desire to see our team win also helps it and sometimes it seems likely that one team has more going for it in this regard than another. This team has made the playoffs and barely missed last year so the thinking is since we are a 7-10 seed now we should improve that by keeping the same good players and adding good young talent around them.

TB has Stamkos and Hedman but the team lost with them. Most people I've seen comment that TB will be better though a lot owing to the aforementioned.

Also other teams may get new players but also have injury prone and/or aging vets in key places like the Devs,Isles, TB, or they may have key holes in the team or new players with question marks.

Rangers, Phili, Boston.

B/c we spend to the cap we also always have players with higher potential and free agents combined wheras other teams like Atl don't. So it's not just talking about getting younger and better it's also considering the current players, how the team has done previously and free agents.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Actually, that article has them 3rd in the DIVISION.
Just noticed that below the picture, though, to my defense, SI is ******** because not only do they know nothing about hockey, but they listed that order of their predicted teams, and then...

The Devils "should make a run at another division title", yet they are third?

The Flyers "goaltending needs to meet challenge or they were linger near the middle of the pack"..

Contradicting their own statements... This is part of the reason SI serves no purpose in being quoted on these boards.

HF fans know much much more than any SI "expert" does about hockey.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:02 PM
aslim240

i am impressed, there are not many things that can draw more venom then Sather on these boards, but SI seems to have done the trick

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:05 PM
ThirdEye

I really hate the Jokinen and Frolov comparison. Jokinen didn't really help this team in any way, and only scored 4 goals for us in 26 games.

I would shocked if Frolov was as useless as Jokinen was.

Not sure why they're getting on Fedotenko. He's just a spare part that was brought in as an after thought and happened to make the team because of his effort. He's a pretty good 3rd line player. I don't see the problem with that

Bringing in a top line center would probably have meant overpayment from us. I think Sather did the right thing in not giving into temptation and trading away some of our key prospects for a center (to this day of course, anything can still happen)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Wait. Sports Illustrated covers hockey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Just noticed that below the picture, though, to my defense, SI is ******** because not only do they know nothing about hockey, but they listed that order of their predicted teams, and then...

The Devils "should make a run at another division title", yet they are third?

The Flyers "goaltending needs to meet challenge or they were linger near the middle of the pack"..

Contradicting their own statements... This is part of the reason SI serves no purpose in being quoted on these boards.

HF fans know much much more than any SI "expert" does about hockey.
Nothing contradictory in the passages you cited.

I wish more of those smart posters posted more. Btw, I think tb will be better than the rangers this year.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I really hate the Jokinen and Frolov comparison. Jokinen didn't really help this team in any way, and only scored 4 goals for us in 26 games.

I would shocked if Frolov was as useless as Jokinen was.

Not sure why they're getting on Fedotenko. He's just a spare part that was brought in as an after thought and happened to make the team because of his effort. He's a pretty good 3rd line player. I don't see the problem with that

Bringing in a top line center would probably have meant overpayment from us. I think Sather did the right thing in not giving into temptation and trading away some of our key prospects for a center (to this day of course, anything can still happen)
Yeah SI makes fedotenko out to be highly coveted acquisition that sather made this offseason. He was here on a tryout basis you assclowns.

I dont know how you could compare the olli jokinen to frolov...that is beyond me. I find it hard to believe that frolov wont be able to top jokinen's "stellar" play.

Like someone else said, I'd like to know what else was out there for the rangers to acquire to help the void down the middle. On top of that the plan was obviously to give stepan a seriously look and it almost feels like they were relying on that route heavily. Yeah they brought in kennedy and white but they seem to have been brought in just in case stepan was completely not ready because i think if stepan was just average he'd be on this team. Also its not like we could've made some big acquisition for Horton (not that he's a center) because at the time we were still tied up in cap space because redden was still on the roster.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
The Bruins have Tyler Seguin and Joe Colborne. The Caps have John Carlson. The Islanders have Taveras and Niederriter. Ottawa has Erik Karlsson. Montreal has PK Subban. Carolina has Jamie McBain and Zac Boychuk. Toronto has Nazim Kadri. This is just a tiny list that goes on and on.

Just like the Rangers' prospects, all have a chance to mature and become impact players.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Nothing contradictory in the passages you cited.

I wish more of those smart posters posted more. Btw, I think tb will be better than the rangers this year.
Yeah, not seeing the contradiction either.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

si doesnt do hockey very well. take this with a grain of salt.

even an idiot can get 50% of what he says correct just by luck.

having said that, hes right. the boogaard contract was and is dumb. this is a guy who cannot take a regular shift in the nhl.

joker wasnt the answer. clearly. but frolov looks like he may have found something with gaby. actually, those 2 really compliment each other very well. i like frolov on this team this year. alot. and i like gaby more with frolov setting him up.

ftank was more a measure of desperation. he came with no promises. the fact reamains however that ftank was one of our most effective forwards in camp. he earned his million. good for him and now lets see him produce 20/20 for 40. if he does that, then thats money well spent.

as for the center issue, as long as we have ec as our 1c and capt quaalude centering any line but line 4, were in deep poo.

arty and stepan as the 2 and 3 c's however, is good by me. both those guys should have solid seasons if they get consistent top 9 minutes.

all in all, we are what we are. a .500 team with serious even strength goal scoring issues.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
you may thing SI is crap but the comment is spot on.

We have not addressed the issues that led us to miss the playoffs. We need a "Getzlaf" kind of battle horse and we haven't got.

who is going to be the creator of space for Gabby?

We are better on D if marginally, better in goal, if marginally - Biron will get 5-10 more games than any other goalie and of those he will be lucky to win half - and finally on Offense:

Vinny will not have the year he had last year, Drury won't either, and Frolov may be an upgrade over Zherdev or Antropov - but that is a "maybe"

Frankly I am worried.
Slats needs to go.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
broadwayblue

Looks like the article is pretty accurate. Perhaps not spot on, but pretty close.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
you may thing SI is crap but the comment is spot on.

We have not addressed the issues that led us to miss the playoffs. We need a "Getzlaf" kind of battle horse and we haven't got.

who is going to be the creator of space for Gabby?

We are better on D if marginally, better in goal, if marginally - Biron will get 5-10 more games than any other goalie and of those he will be lucky to win half - and finally on Offense:

Vinny will not have the year he had last year, Drury won't either, and Frolov may be an upgrade over Zherdev or Antropov - but that is a "maybe"

Frankly I am worried.
Slats needs to go.
I keep hearing this and I agree but the fact is that those types of Getzlaf-caliber centers are not available. At all. Logic seems to dictate that if you can't get that player you have two options. You can either get a player who isn't that type of player but is easily available to you, put him in a position to succeed with other talented players and hope he steps his game up enough to at least compliment your top wingers. Thats what they're doing with Christensen. The other option is to see if your top prospect at that position is ready for the jump and start to bring him into the NHL fold. That is what they're doing with Stepan.

It'd be great to get a Crosby/Zetterberg/Getzlaf/Richards/Toews/ Stamkos type center, it'd make this team much better and much closer to being a serious contender, but they just aren't available. Its one thing to point out a flaw, but people sometimes point the finger at management over this from season to season like there are options that they aren't exploring. In the big picture, yeah, they're responsible for getting a center at the right times but from season to season its just not possible.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Not really, both the Pens and Flyers are deeper, especially on defense. The Debbies, Pens, Flyers, Caps and Bruins are the top 5 teams in the conference. Two of the Debbies, Pens and Flyers are likely to match up in the 4/5 slot in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Yeah, but the Flyers don't have a goalie.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote