HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-06-2010, 01:35 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
The more I read from Canuck fans (and hockey fans in general) about this guy the more I think a lot of the problems could be overblown because of the attention given to hockey players in Vancouver. How lucky would we be if both SK and SOB come in here with expectations to be head cases, shed that stigma, and play to their potential all year? I wouldn't mind spending 2.1mil on a good two-way forward and a solid blueliner. Of course, it isn't my money so I guess I don't count.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
hatedandproud

When I first read about this deal, I was in full blown "WTF" mode, but after reading alot of the stuff that is out there, I'm feeling pretty good about this trade.

If last year is any indication, he got the penalty problem worked out.
The partying-missing practice thing (a one time occurance) seems like it was blown way out of proportion.

This guy is what this team needs.
People just need to "chill out" and give him a chance. Let's see how he plays and acts here in N'ville. If he turns out to be an ass, then he'll be gone next year, maybe sooner.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Oh yes he is, unless you're being sarcastic.

To be fair, as I said before, he brings something to the team and he definitely has the tools, he's just got the wrong attitude. With the right coaching and a change of scenery, this may turn out well and I hope it does.

That said, there is an element of risk to this deal that cannot be ignored, 29 teams passed on him on waivers and part of the reasoning for this deal wasn't that the Preds really went after him, but the Canucks called the Preds and offered you guys a chance to spend $1.6 million on a roster player rather than in the minors, so that should put things in perspective.

While it was pointed out that his penalty-minutes weren't that much higher than other defensemen, the context matters. His penalties are often the useless, undisciplined types, not the "might have saved the goal" or "sent the opponents a message". He's big, but doesn't really hit, he doesn't fight all that much and when he does, he often loses (unless he's picking on a smaller player like Simmons in LA and acting like he cleaned up), he just shouts a lot, sometimes at his own coach, and gives lots of face-washes.

But he's a decent skater, can be defensively responsible and has a hard shot. Is loved by his teammates, and is an economic stimulus program for your night-life.

Just don't give him time off during Olympic breaks, or else he comes back 17 pounds heavier...and it's not muscle.

You are soooo wrong that it is funny! Hahaha! Do you know him personally? I do! I know that he likes to have fun, but he keeps it in its time and place. He just had that ONE slip up that ONE time ever. Especially now that he is 27, he realizes more that he has to put his full potential together and be the defenseman that he/we know that he can be and make some cash!! But you should not say that stuff about a guy when you have no clue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle13 View Post
In fairness he got about as close as you can get to calling it.....

LL + 1

I think this could end up being a great deal on our end, even the Vancouver Sun has us as the winners of this trade....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Good trade for you guys... as much as you don't want him based on stats and other things.. I can guarantee he will be a fan favorite in Nashville. He's the kind of guy you can only cheer for.
Good luck SOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Wow.. Why are Nashville fans upset?

When Vancouver was plagued with injuries last season, O'Brien stepped up to a top 4 role and did a very good job of it. He brings grit, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and has a lot of heart. People mention off ice issues, those are SEVERELY overblown. He's very vocal, passionate, and speaks his mind. Sometimes that gets him in trouble with his coach, but it makes him a fan favourite on the ice too when he's sticking up for his team mates.

The penalty issue is overblown, that was 2 seasons ago. Last year his PIM was at 79, while it was 196 the season previous.

O'Brien is a solid #5 defensemen who brings grit to the table and doesn't make many glarring mistakes. You guys will like him, and as a Vancouver fan I'm kinda sad to see him go.
I think he even has higher potential than top five! Just had a rough time witht he 'Nucks, the bad overshadows the good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nshpred87 View Post
I would love to see SOB come in here with a mature attitude and be a good dman who protects our guys but with everything I've read and all the reports on him, and the fact that he bad mouths his coach i just find him classless.

What exactly are you talking about?? How many times did that happen??

...One time Mario Lemieux got into a fight, we should probably label him a scrapper for his career eh?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
lightning_legwand*

A few good reads,

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...parting-shots/

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...-obrien-trade/

and especially this one,

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../10060381/2163

I took a couple snippets from this article just to post and show you guys,

""I talked to a couple of managers for teams he has played for and they all speak very highly of him, both as a person and a player," Poile said"

""I couldn't be happier going to Nashville," O'Brien said. "Great team, great goalie in (Pekka) Rinne. A real solid defense, obviously with Shea Weber being one of the best defensemen in the league. I just want to come in and so whatever the team needs and help the boys out in whatever way I can.""

"Just five days before the start of the regular season, the Predators added a big punch to their lineup"

Old
10-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Rob Zepp

He has all the tools to be a really good player. Fact was he was outplayed in Vancouver's training camp/preseason AND his relationship with his coaching staff wasn't outstanding.

Nashville got a player that if he keeps his focus on hockey can be a really good contributor. He won't be Dan H for the team but he will be better than some of the names flying around for your roster last week.

Oh, and he is a great interview. Also very likely to be spotted often by fans....at least fans who like to drink late a night in establishments that cater to, ahem, attractive women.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

LL, I think you're letting whatever personal relationship you share with SOB cloud your judgment a bit. Don't get me wrong. I'm liking this trade more today than I did yesterday, but just because you know a guy is one way in private doesn't necessarily mean he'll be that way at his job. I've had to learn that lesson the hard way by referring friends to jobs. With that said, I share the sentiment I've read from a few other posters. I think with the attitude toward celebrity in Nashville he'll have an easier time just being another guy. The media here doesn't often pretend to give a crap about hockey so his ability to run to the media in order to offer up a sexy story where a hockey player is talking poorly of his coaching staff will be limited. Trotz doesn't very often call out players in the newspaper, and when he does it tends to either be a rookie who doesn't play enough defense (Radulov) or a vet who isn't scoring (Legwand, Dumont). As long as SOB plays his role he'll be ok. No one is expecting a top three defender, and no one is expecting goals. Just prevent some scoring chances, limit the penalties to when they are necessary or at least understandable, and try not to get pinned for any sex crimes.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
He has all the tools to be a really good player. Fact was he was outplayed in Vancouver's training camp/preseason AND his relationship with his coaching staff wasn't outstanding.

Nashville got a player that if he keeps his focus on hockey can be a really good contributor. He won't be Dan H for the team but he will be better than some of the names flying around for your roster last week.

Oh, and he is a great interview. Also very likely to be spotted often by fans....at least fans who like to drink late a night in establishments that cater to, ahem, attractive women.
Another bonus

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The more I read from Canuck fans (and hockey fans in general) about this guy the more I think a lot of the problems could be overblown because of the attention given to hockey players in Vancouver. How lucky would we be if both SK and SOB come in here with expectations to be head cases, shed that stigma, and play to their potential all year? I wouldn't mind spending 2.1mil on a good two-way forward and a solid blueliner. Of course, it isn't my money so I guess I don't count.
O'Brien has had a problem with every coach he's played under at the NHL level. He's a decent enough 3rd pairing defenseman. That's not the issue. The issue is that O'Brien expects, and feels that he is entitled to, top 4 minutes.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
O'Brien has had a problem with every coach he's played under at the NHL level. He's a decent enough 3rd pairing defenseman. That's not the issue. The issue is that O'Brien expects, and feels that he is entitled to, top 4 minutes.
Oh Yeah??

What was the problem in Anaheim??

How about Tampa Bay??

Old
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
predfan98

Quote:
oh, but he's never been part of a shea freaking weber team...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Hielo Grande

it might be worth noting that many penalties were dished out simply because it was Obie. he was a marked man in officials' eyes. as soon as they saw his number 55 they were ready to call something, anything. fans, media, coaches all knew this and discussed it. i believe there were discussions between gillis and league officials about it.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I know, I'm not bashing Legwand. And O'Brien did a little of that one year, last year. To say he's known for missing practice and partying all night off of one incident in one season is sort of dumb. It sounds as if he was late for one practice and put on weight over the Olympic break, one year. Poile says his other coaches say he's not that way. I'll take Poile's research. If O'Brien parties all the time I wonder how he managed to show up for camp in the best shape of his career, which is what several media people have written. There must not be any clubs open in the off-season so he was able to focus on training?
To clarify, it wasn't a one-time event, it was just the one-time that got him suspended and blew up all over the media. But when it did happen, it wasn't just the coaches, but players were quoted saying that they loved the guy, but frankly they were sick and tired of him having these off-ice discipline issues, and they felt that this would be a good wake-up call.

So that was the eye-opener for me, not that he got suspended, but that the players on the team (who all admit he's a great guy, so they weren't bashing him) saying that he's had ongoing issues that they covered up for him, even to the point of lying to the coaches. What happened that particular morning (from the players' accounts) was that he was late (as he often is) but unlike previous times, when they called him to tell him to get his a** to the rink, he wasn't picking up, so they couldn't cover with the usual lies to the coach and had to tell the coaches they weren't sure where he was.

Other issues were that he had ongoing fitness issues, coming to camp out of shape, then getting in shape, then when given some slack, would go out of shape again...

Now, with all that out of the way, once you are in the bad books, the media here in Vancouver just lynch you (re: Bieksa). So on balance, his off-ice issues are more than "one-time" or "coaches picking on him" but he is far from a cancer.

Basically, he's a player who has had continual discipline issues, but someone who is far from a problem-maker.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:44 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
You are soooo wrong that it is funny! Hahaha! Do you know him personally? I do! I know that he likes to have fun, but he keeps it in its time and place. He just had that ONE slip up that ONE time ever. Especially now that he is 27, he realizes more that he has to put his full potential together and be the defenseman that he/we know that he can be and make some cash!! But you should not say that stuff about a guy when you have no clue...

I think he even has higher potential than top five! Just had a rough time witht he 'Nucks, the bad overshadows the good...

What exactly are you talking about?? How many times did that happen??

...One time Mario Lemieux got into a fight, we should probably label him a scrapper for his career eh?
Calm down, I'm actually in favor of this trade if you guys didn't have plans for Parent or Andersson. Like I've said previously, if he gets his discipline issues under control, he brings experience, size and grit to a defense in Nashville that need it, and he's affordable.

No, I don't know him, but at the same time, I think you're either unaware or ignoring the multiple incidents, confirmed by teammates, not just media, he's had here in Vancouver. I just clarified the continual issues he's had with fitness and partying that DID affect his professional obligations.

In answer to your question about him spouting off against the coaches and management, he's done it a few times, either when he feels that he's being misused, he once complained to the media that they wanted him to be a goon, but he could be more than that, that when he tried to be tough he got in trouble for taking penalties, and then when he scaled back his penalties, he got in trouble for not being tough enough. He'd complain that he didn't get enough ice-time, then that the coaches had it out for him (there does seem to be at least a little bit of that, I'll admit).

But to put things in perspective, Gillis admitted that they went out and made this trip because they didn't want O'Brien to rot in the minors, and compare it to the classy way Hordichuk handled his trade, or how Dumont quietly handled his frustrations with coaches last year, and you'll see how comparatively, O'Brien is still looking immature.

Old
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Oh Yeah??

What was the problem in Anaheim??

How about Tampa Bay??
The same problem it was in Vancouver. The coach wanted one thing, and O'Brien wanted another. O'Brien thinks he's a puck-moving defenseman who should be allowed to skate it up and create offense. In reality, he's a role-player. A 3rd pairing defenseman who needs to be physical, and play responsible D to be effective.

Not only did he have problems with all three of his coaches, but after being traded he accused all three coaches of being unfair to him.

Old
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
MarkMM

Okay, I'm only posting these for full disclosure of the pattern of behavior that's been discussed here, it's not just media hype, nor is it just in Vancouver.

But I don't want this to lead to people lynching him before he gets his chance, he did show he could reign in his penalty minutes last year, and when he was whipped by our training staff, he showed he had the discipline and work ethic to get into shape.

The story off the ice is exactly the same as it is on the ice. He definitely has the ability to be a good player and a responsible person when he's forced to, but it's maintaining it that's the problem.

Same with SK, if he didn't have the off-ice problems, then he'd cost you more than what you're paying for him now, you got a discount on his potential for a reason.

Hopefully he can live up to his potential, in which case he can be a key piece for a defense with a lot of questions, but let's be fair, he comes with a lot of question marks himself.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...528/story.html

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D830270

http://crashingthegoalie.com/2009/02...-his-own-fire/

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...le-is-the.html (scroll down to where they explain why he was benched for five games)

Old
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
The same problem it was in Vancouver. The coach wanted one thing, and O'Brien wanted another. O'Brien thinks he's a puck-moving defenseman who should be allowed to skate it up and create offense. In reality, he's a role-player. A 3rd pairing defenseman who needs to be physical, and play responsible D to be effective.

Not only did he have problems with all three of his coaches, but after being traded he accused all three coaches of being unfair to him.

Can you back any of this up??

Old
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
lightning_legwand*

So what does blueline look like for next season now??

Weber Suter
Franson O'Brien
Bouillon Klein

7th man is Aaron Johnson I guess??

What about Josi and Blum?? I want them both to get some time on Preds this season, and a fair amount of time, without the only way they get this to be cause of injuries. Maybe Bouillon or Klein head out of town later this season???
Is Aaron Johnson ahead of Blum and Josi for call-up??

Also, on side note,

Who is first forward to be called up for Preds now that Andersson is gone??
My nominees, in order, are:
1. Spaling
2. Geoffrion
3. Halischuk

Old
10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
OpenWheel

I think it really sucks losing Andersson. He never even got a chance here.

I assume Lundmark is high up on the injury callup list, when he's no longer injured himdself.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Can you back any of this up??
Look, I'm an Anaheim fan. He's not a player on my team anymore, so if you want to do research on your player, you feel free. Don't expect me to. I'm just telling you what I saw when he was in Anaheim, and what I saw when he was traded away from the team.

I know you want to give him the benefit of the doubt now because he's a Pred. Go for it. Just realize that he's had problems with all 3 of his coaches in the NHL. When a player is 3 for 3 on that count, it's something I'd expect to continue.

Old
10-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Woah there, calm down. We have a ton of time to worry about that after this year. Injuries, trades, and any amount of other things can happen. Lets get through this year first.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:41 PM
MarkMM

Quote:

Weber Suter
Franson O'Brien
Bouillon Klein

7th man is Aaron Johnson I guess??

What about Josi and Blum?? I want them both to get some time on Preds this season, and a fair amount of time, without the only way they get this to be cause of injuries. Maybe Bouillon or Klein head out of town later this season???
Is Aaron Johnson ahead of Blum and Josi for call-up??

Also, on side note,

Who is first forward to be called up for Preds now that Andersson is gone??
My nominees, in order, are:
1. Spaling
2. Geoffrion
3. Halischuk
That's my guess for the lineup, and this is why I like this trade. I said earlier in the summer, what makes me nervous with the lineup is that if anything happened to Weber or Suter, then the amount of quality experience drops off catastrophically. A top-four defenseman was needed to add at least a bit of a buffer. But the cost was probably too high, O'Brien brings some potential to that role with enough of a "history discount" that he's affordable for the Preds.

Old
10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Woah there, calm down. We have a ton of time to worry about that after this year. Injuries, trades, and any amount of other things can happen. Lets get through this year first.
By "next season" I think he meant the one that starts tomorrow

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
By "next season" I think he meant the one that starts tomorrow
Agreed, the pairings starting Saturday will be:
Suter - Weber
Bouillon - Klein
Franson - O'Brien

Trotz will use the Bouillon-Klein pairing as our 2nd unit and Franson-O'Brien as the third. OB is our fifth defenseman to start the year...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
jlsg

No way does Franson get 2nd line minutes. He still needs to be protected and that's what O'Brien will start out doing. If he proves himself then it will be either O'Brien/Klein or Cube on the 2nd line. Franson will stay at the 3rd.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
No way does Franson get 2nd line minutes. He still needs to be protected and that's what O'Brien will start out doing. If he proves himself then it will be either O'Brien/Klein or Cube on the 2nd line. Franson will stay at the 3rd.
Agreed, until he either improves his mobility or adds a mean streak, Franson will never be more than a No. 6 defenseman...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote