HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

SI Atlantic Preview

Old
10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, but the Flyers don't have a goalie.
Minimizing the importance of a marquee goalie very in fashion now with Niemi and Leighton playing for the Cup last year. And the Cup winning goalie wasn't even retained.

10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslim240 View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

I laughed at this part:

"How does GM Glen Sather address a team that stumbled out of the playoffs on the season's final shot? He allows one enigmatic forward (Jokinen) to walk and replaces him with a pair of equally frustrating talents in Frolov and Fedotenko. He dumps one benchwarming goon (Shelley) for another (Boogaard). And he does nothing about that gaping void down the middle. If progress has been made, it has yet to reveal itself."

A little harsh, but I agree with the general concept of it is still hard to picture this team scoring enough goals to avoid the 6-10 soup in April. He did have nice things to say about Stepan though.
Okay I'd like to hear what this guy would have done in the off-season if he was Sather and didn't have any cap space or any way to clear cap space without trading draft picks or highly-regarded prospects.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Has anyone picked the Rangers to make the playoffs?

Have seen them picked 14th by Kevin Allen of USA Today. 14th?Lundqvist will Ballard a few of his defensemen if the Rangers finished 14th. I can see them finishing 9th or 10th and missing the playoffs by a few points.

Everyone is on Atlanta and TB bandwagons. Look at TB's defense and goalie. Atlanta went winless in preseason. It's preseason but you still want to win one game.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Have seen them picked 14th by Kevin Allen of USA Today. 14th?Lundqvist will Ballard a few of his defensemen if the Rangers finished 14th. I can see them finishing 9th or 10th and missing the playoffs by a few points.

Everyone is on Atlanta and TB bandwagons. Look at TB's defense and goalie. Atlanta went winless in preseason. It's preseason but you still want to win one game.
I don't recall where, but I know I've seen them 7th or so in a couple of places.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

All things considered, I honestly see us finishing 5th and playing the 4th place Devils in the first round.

1. Penguins
2. Capitals
3. Bruins
4. Devils
5. Rangers
6. Flyers
7. Senators
8. Lightning
--------------
9. Sabres
10. Canadiens
11. Hurricanes
12. Islanders
13. Thrashers
14. Leafs
15. Panthers

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
All things considered, I honestly see us finishing 5th and playing the 4th place Devils in the first round.

1. Penguins
2. Capitals
3. Bruins
4. Devils
5. Rangers
6. Flyers
7. Senators
8. Lightning
--------------
9. Sabres
10. Canadiens
11. Hurricanes
12. Islanders
13. Thrashers
14. Leafs
15. Panthers
I'll bet you $1 we don't finish in the top 5. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

That is exactly what I have been saying on this forum for weeks.

Quote:

I laughed at this part:

"How does GM Glen Sather address a team that stumbled out of the playoffs on the season's final shot? He allows one enigmatic forward (Jokinen) to walk and replaces him with a pair of equally frustrating talents in Frolov and Fedotenko. He dumps one benchwarming goon (Shelley) for another (Boogaard). And he does nothing about that gaping void down the middle. If progress has been made, it has yet to reveal itself."

A little harsh, but I agree with the general concept of it is still hard to picture this team scoring enough goals to avoid the 6-10 soup in April. He did have nice things to say about Stepan though.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:

I laughed at this part:

since when does sports illustrated know **** about hockey?

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
ogie

"BOTTOM LINE: Lundqvist and Gaborik bring enough to the table to make the Rangers worth watching, but this team doesn't have the center talent, the depth or the blue line to compete with the legitimate contenders in the East."

I love how a few paragraphs earlier he was talking about Stepan being a candidate for Calder and then says the Rangers do not have center talent... and FAIL.

And why is it that every year since the lockout all the major hockey columnists have questioned the Rangers Defense? And yet if you look at goals against for those years the Rangers are always in the top 10, i know that Hank is the reason for most of that, but still the defense has to be at least competent for them to keep ranking so high in GA.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The Bruins have Tyler Seguin and Joe Colborne. The Caps have John Carlson. The Islanders have Taveras and Niederriter. Ottawa has Erik Karlsson. Montreal has PK Subban. Carolina has Jamie McBain and Zac Boychuk. Toronto has Nazim Kadri. This is just a tiny list that goes on and on.

Just like the Rangers' prospects, all have a chance to mature and become impact players.
The only players in that group that you mentioned that are the equivalent of where we are hoping the Rangers improve are Tavares and maybe Karlsson. Everyone else will either be playing for the first time in the NHL this year or got a small sniff last year. The Rangers are leaning on improvements from Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal and Del Zotto. These are all guys with at least a year of experience. There is a HUGE difference between hoping for a natural progression of players within your lineup and hoping for an addition of a rookie to your lineup.

Not that I disagree with their assessment entirely, I'm just saying. Not every team has the youth ALREADY WITH THE CLUB that they're hoping will improve.

All of that being said, this team is going to finish anywhere from 5th to 13th. The Penguins and Caps will be at the top. Two more slots will be filled with teams either overachieving or not underachieving (looking at you Bos, NJ, Phi). The bottom two will be Florida and the Isles. Anyone predicting anything "with confidence" in those other 9 slots is just writing an article.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, but the Flyers don't have a goalie.
they never do

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The only players in that group that you mentioned that are the equivalent of where we are hoping the Rangers improve are Tavares and maybe Karlsson. Everyone else will either be playing for the first time in the NHL this year or got a small sniff last year. The Rangers are leaning on improvements from Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal and Del Zotto. These are all guys with at least a year of experience. There is a HUGE difference between hoping for a natural progression of players within your lineup and hoping for an addition of a rookie to your lineup.

Not that I disagree with their assessment entirely, I'm just saying. Not every team has the youth ALREADY WITH THE CLUB that they're hoping will improve.

All of that being said, this team is going to finish anywhere from 5th to 13th. The Penguins and Caps will be at the top. Two more slots will be filled with teams either overachieving or not underachieving (looking at you Bos, NJ, Phi). The bottom two will be Florida and the Isles. Anyone predicting anything "with confidence" in those other 9 slots is just writing an article.
Yes, I was focusing both on players who have not yet played in the NHL, and players who have. If you want to make a list of young players around the league who teams are hoping will improve and step into bigger roles this year, it would be huge.

EVERY team has young players they are counting on to grow and mature.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's ****ing funny, man.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
ogie

Quote:
Tampa has no real #1 goalie but they do have a decent shot of making the playoffs, Stamkos , Lecav, and Louis should light the lamp enough to offset their goalie issues.

As for Atlanta... all they did was pick up Chicago's cast offs. They have suspect defense and goaltending. Putting Byfuglien back to defense is enough for me to question the coaching of that team as well.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl;
Yes, I was focusing both on players who have not yet played in the NHL, and players who have. If you want to make a list of young players around the league who teams are hoping will improve and step into bigger roles this year, it would be huge.

EVERY team has young players they are counting on to grow and mature.
The Islanders are the only team in the Atlantic in a similar situation as the Rangers. Staal and DelZotto are the two most important defensemen on the team and they're expected to improve over last year. So let's talk forwards and D. The Penguins most important forwards are Crosby, Malkin and Staal. None of those players are going to show improvement at this point. They're expectations are the same for each player as last year's. Same goes for Martin and Michalek. Same goes for Carter, Richards, Briere, Pronger, Timmonen, Kovalchuk, Parise, Volchenkov, etc. The Rangers are in a different situation with their defense.

I guess my point is this: It's not about counting on young players to improve. It's about the importance to your team of those young players you're counting on. The impact of those players on the Rangers is greater than many other teams around the league, although there ARE plenty of teams in that situation. Just not all.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Larry Brooks picked the Rangers to finish 7th.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
The Islanders are the only team in the Atlantic in a similar situation as the Rangers. Staal and DelZotto are the two most important defensemen on the team and they're expected to improve over last year. So let's talk forwards and D. The Penguins most important forwards are Crosby, Malkin and Staal. None of those players are going to show improvement at this point. They're expectations are the same for each player as last year's. Same goes for Martin and Michalek. Same goes for Carter, Richards, Briere, Pronger, Timmonen, Kovalchuk, Parise, Volchenkov, etc. The Rangers are in a different situation with their defense.

I guess my point is this: It's not about counting on young players to improve. It's about the importance to your team of those young players you're counting on. The impact of those players on the Rangers is greater than many other teams around the league, although there ARE plenty of teams in that situation. Just not all.
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say, so please forgive me if I misintepret.

If you're saying the Rangers are somehow in a better sitation than a team like Pittsburgh because Crosby, Malkin, J Staal, etc. are not going to show as much improvement as a del Zotto or M Staal...NO.

You pretty much know what you're going to get from Crosby, etc....a LOT. Neither del Zotto or Staal are going to approach that, ever. Doesn't make them bad players, but Sydney Crosby they're not. And the Penguins have a lot of young talent who can also improve, if that's your argument.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Ok..so after reading all of this, here are, in my opinion, the Keys to the Rangers season:

1.) Lundqvist playing like the King

2.) Gaborik staying healthy and playing like Gaborik

3.) Young players maturing and taking the next big step in the following ways:
- Dubi, Cally, Staal & Girardi taking the leadership helm and improving their game.
- Del Zotto & Anisimov building on the positives in their rookie seasons, and not having sophomore slumps.
- Stepan living up to his preseason hype, and having a strong rookie season.
- Gilroy not being a turnover machine.
4.) Rosival & Drury having bounce back years.
5.) Frovlov providing secondary scoring.

If all of this happens, the Rangers will likely finish 6th, (no higher then 5th, if all of this happens and a little more).

More then likely, all of this will not happen, and they will battle for the 8th spot.

Thoughts? I'm sure I stated the obvious in a lot of ways, but is there anything I missed?

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say, so please forgive me if I misintepret.

If you're saying the Rangers are somehow in a better sitation than a team like Pittsburgh because Crosby, Malkin, J Staal, etc. are not going to show as much improvement as a del Zotto or M Staal...NO.

You pretty much know what you're going to get from Crosby, etc....a LOT. Neither del Zotto or Staal are going to approach that, ever. Doesn't make them bad players, but Sydney Crosby they're not. And the Penguins have a lot of young talent who can also improve, if that's your argument.
Yeah, you pretty much didn't understand what I said at all.

My point is that the Rangers young players improvement is far more important to the Rangers than the Pens young players improvement is to them. It's not wrong to say that every team has young players they want to improve, but it is besides the point. All teams aren't in the same point of development with their young players. If the 4 guys I mentioned for the Rangers take the next step, it could represent a significant improvement in the Rangers record as opposed to if those players play the way they did last year. It could be the difference between 10th and 5th. For the Penguins young guys, you're likely talking about a difference between 1st or 2nd.

Predictions are generally made without taking this X-factor into account and rightfully so. How can you predict something like this? But dismissing it because "every team has young players" is a very strange point to make.

Old
10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

My predictions:

1. Washington Capitals
2. Pittsburgh Penguins (always in the mix - Malkin's going to return to form)
3. Philadelphia Flyers (Zherdev is going to be huge pick up for them)
4. New Jersey Devils (can't bet against them. I see them slipping a bit)
5. Ottawa Senators (improved and talented)
6. Buffalo Sabres (if Miller keeps up his pre-olympic form)
7. Tampa Bay Lightning (don't laugh. Most improved team in the league)
8. New York Rangers (slide 'em down to 12th if Gaborik plays less than 60 games)
9. Montreal Canadiens (Price? Halak? WTF?)
10. Boston Bruins (too many question marks)
11. Atlanta Thrashers
12. Carolina Hurricanes
13. Toronto Maple Leafs
14. New York Islanders (Streit & Okposo = goodbye playoffs already)
15. Florida Panthers

1. Detroit Red Wings (Tentatively. This is a really old team and injuries could really hurt them)
2. Vancouver Canucks (Sedins, Luongo, etc...)
3. Chicago Blackhawks (I can see them falling - even to 5-7)
4. San Jose Sharks (Good regular season team, but maybe this is the year the reg. season isn't great)
5. Phoenix Coyotes (young improving club)
6. Los Angeles Kings (see above)
7. St. Louis Blues
8. Colorado Avalanche
9. Minnesota Wild
10. Calgary Flames (a mess of a franchise)
11. Anaheim Ducks (No Niedermayer = no playoffs this year)
12. Nashville Predators (Yeah, I know, the usually make it. Not this year)
13. Edmonton Oilers (a better group than last year - going to be fun to watch. "D" is problematic)
14. Dallas Stars
15. Columbus Blue Jackets (not sold on their goalie and the rest of the team sucks)

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:55 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Here's my prediction:

Tampa will make the playoffs, and Stamkos will win the Hart and Richard.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Here's my prediction:

Tampa will make the playoffs, and Stamkos will win the Hart and Richard.
I predict posters here will be whining about the biased refs 8:32 into the season.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:28 PM
chosen

Quote:
Yeah, you pretty much didn't understand what I said at all.

My point is that the Rangers young players improvement is far more important to the Rangers than the Pens young players improvement is to them. It's not wrong to say that every team has young players they want to improve, but it is besides the point. All teams aren't in the same point of development with their young players. If the 4 guys I mentioned for the Rangers take the next step, it could represent a significant improvement in the Rangers record as opposed to if those players play the way they did last year. It could be the difference between 10th and 5th. For the Penguins young guys, you're likely talking about a difference between 1st or 2nd.

Predictions are generally made without taking this X-factor into account and rightfully so. How can you predict something like this? But dismissing it because "every team has young players" is a very strange point to make.
In summary, because the rangers stink, they have more room between them and the ceiling.

Old
10-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In summary, because the rangers stink, they have more room between them and the ceiling.
Are you ****ing serious? Because the Rangers are still rebuilding (and we can debate the merits of trying to rebuild while staying competitive in another thread), their young and developing players are going to have more of an impact on the lineup if they improve. Haven't any of you read any quotes from Tortorella on this basic subject? Think of the Kings or the Avalanche. They're both in basically the same situation, although neither team has the goalie or elite scorer that we do. Their youth in those positions is still developing.

It has little to do with stinking or not stinking. Thanks for incorrectly summing up my point.

Old
10-08-2010, 09:42 PM
chosen

Quote:
Are you ****ing serious? Because the Rangers are still rebuilding (and we can debate the merits of trying to rebuild while staying competitive in another thread), their young and developing players are going to have more of an impact on the lineup if they improve. Haven't any of you read any quotes from Tortorella on this basic subject? Think of the Kings or the Avalanche. They're both in basically the same situation, although neither team has the goalie or elite scorer that we do. Their youth in those positions is still developing.

It has little to do with stinking or not stinking. Thanks for incorrectly summing up my point.
You are funny. There are lots of young players on every team. Most fans understand that young has nothing to do with great talent and success. Who on the rangers is duchene or stewart? Your opinion may turn out to be right, but your reasoning is flawed.