HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Kyle Okposo Out Indefinitely

Old
09-28-2010, 05:16 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
My take on this season is that it's the last developmental year for the core and final audition time for everyone else. I believe that towards the end of this season, Snow will settle on who he wants here and begin his weed and feed program in earnest. I can see a few solid vets being added at the the trade deadline and free agency to fill in the holes and the team being much more competitive next season. This is all OK!
Good post. Many of the other posts are simply sad.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Augscura

It's a darn shame. Good chance for the second wave of kids to step up though. This is their chance to show what they can do.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
mitchy22

This news would have sucked more had I not had the feeling some kind of bad news on KO was coming. The silence on KO's injury seemed to be writing on the wall.

So, before we've played a game, we've lost our two best overall players (as far as I'm concerned.)

Time to see what the rest of the squad is made of.

I think the best thing that can come from this is that we have guys step up in bigger roles. If the team can manage through this serious adversity, then we'll be that much better as we add KO and Streit back to the lineup.

At worst, a lot of guys will get more experience and we'll be better for next season.

At best, the team plays well without them and will be that much better off when KO and Streit return. If we're still hanging around playoff position by mid-December, adding KO will be a major boost. If we're still hanging around playoff position towards the end of the season, Streit will be a another huge boost.

With KO, I don't mind waiting a bit longer to make sure he's 100% when he returns.

With Streit, every week he shaves off of his recovery could be huge for this team. If we're still in contention when he's reaching the end of his recovery, it'll be hard to keep him off the ice. (Yes, that's a huge if, but I can let myself be optimistic until the 20 game mark. That's when I'll start to judge our performance to some degree.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
******* IT

I picked him in my pool a week ago!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
******* IT

I picked him in my pool a week ago!
Ditto.

He's one of my favourites, and I picked him in my pool, now he's gone for 2-3.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
This news would have sucked more had I not had the feeling some kind of bad news on KO was coming. The silence on KO's injury seemed to be writing on the wall.

So, before we've played a game, we've lost our two best overall players (as far as I'm concerned.)

Time to see what the rest of the squad is made of.

I think the best thing that can come from this is that we have guys step up in bigger roles. If the team can manage through this serious adversity, then we'll be that much better as we add KO and Streit back to the lineup.

At worst, a lot of guys will get more experience and we'll be better for next season.

At best, the team plays well without them and will be that much better off when KO and Streit return. If we're still hanging around playoff position by mid-December, adding KO will be a major boost. If we're still hanging around playoff position towards the end of the season, Streit will be a another huge boost.

With KO, I don't mind waiting a bit longer to make sure he's 100% when he returns.

With Streit, every week he shaves off of his recovery could be huge for this team. If we're still in contention when he's reaching the end of his recovery, it'll be hard to keep him off the ice. (Yes, that's a huge if, but I can let myself be optimistic until the 20 game mark. That's when I'll start to judge our performance to some degree.)

Mitch
Agreed. It sucks but crying about it wont help players get healthier sooner. All teams go through this and I think Garth is going to find out who is made of what while our best players are out. It would be nice to see this team circle the wagons and play with some grit while showing some character.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Man, last night NHL.com had a free customization promo for jerseys. I spent an hour deciding whether I wanted KO or Streit. Ridiculous.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

How has Nino looked? Might he flank Schremp on the 2nd line with KO's injury? How has Parenteau looked?

09-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Isles Junkie

what a depressing way to start the season.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
center55

Hmmmm so now what?

I think top 6 forwards are (Taveras, Baiely, Schremp, Comeau) ohh that is only 4 then you pick from the rest

Nielson - My favorite choice however that means Schremp and Baiely play wing I am OK with that

Moulson - Still has a lot to prove yet 30 goals is 30 goals

Hunter - see him more as a shut down guy who has offensive ability

Niederreiter - May very well get the chance if he plays well

Parenteau - Not at all impressed with the Tambellini replacement we will see how he does.

My best guess is Moulson and Niederreiter get the nod.

Real outside shot (Weight, Martin, Ullstrom, Joensuu)

center55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Can Nino even buy cigarettes yet?

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

There will be a lot of opportunity for guys that might not have gotten it otherwise. Is it possible that they move Tavares to the LW?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Can Nino even buy cigarettes yet?
Let's hope he doesn't start!

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Toujin

Man, what a time to come back to HF. Nevertheless, while the loss of KO and Streit without a doubt sucks, I for one am REALLY looking forward to seeing how the young guns are gonna step up and try to fill the voids left behind by these guys. If someone like Schremp, Nino, or Comeau has a breakout season (which I think at least one of them will), the hole left by KO won't seem quite as glaring, and when he does eventually return, we'll be in that much better shape form that point on.

I know I'm probably the only Phillies fan on the Isles board here, but let me put something in prospective for you guys. The Phillies have the best record in the national league, despite the fact that EVERY starting player besides Jayson Werth was on the DL this season. Guys like Wilson Valdez, Ross Gload, Mike Sweeney, Dom Brown, and especially Carlos Ruiz, really stepped their game up, and it showed a hell of a lot. After they won the NL east title Monday night, just about everyone interviewed said it was so much more special because of the way they fought through so many injuries.

I guess my point is, if the Phillies can win a lot of games with Howard, Utley, and Rollins out of the lineup at the same time, the Isles can do it without KO and Streit.

They're our team...let's at least give them a CHANCE to play REAL HOCKEY GAMES before we dial up the waaaaaahmbulance and look forward to the 2011 draft. Let these guys try to make a name for themselves with the opportunity they're being given.

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:39 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
That's it right there.

There's a 95% chance that he comes out of this just as strong and it will never crop up again. I guess what is in the back of my mind is... when DP first go hurt, did ANY of us think it would evolve into what it has? No one could have seen DP's last 3 seasons turn out the way they did. Now I know that's the exception to the rule but as Isles fans, it has to be a thought unfortunately.
Hey, how's it goin'? Have we met?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:23 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Man, last night NHL.com had a free customization promo for jerseys. I spent an hour deciding whether I wanted KO or Streit. Ridiculous.
Perhaps you should think of getting a Gaborik jersey

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
There will be a lot of opportunity for guys that might not have gotten it otherwise. Is it possible that they move Tavares to the LW?
nope.....JTs playmaking was IMO even more impressive than his goal scoring last year...he will blossom into a perennial 40-50g and 50a man in his prime...keep him at center....you don't move your franchise player to a different position so that other players may have the chance to be serviceable. Same way Jeter is still at shortstop for the yankees.

just my opinion

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
nope.....JTs playmaking was IMO even more impressive than his goal scoring last year...he will blossom into a perennial 40-50g and 50a man in his prime...keep him at center....you don't move your franchise player to a different position so that other players may have the chance to be serviceable. Same way Jeter is still at shortstop for the yankees.

just my opinion
I agree about JT's playmaking. Based on reports I was expecting a one-dimensional goal scorer down low. He was a better playmaker than advertised, and showed flashes of maybe developing into an outstanding playmaker. He's exceptionally smart and skilled, so no reason why not.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:56 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

2 questions. are they putting KO on the IR?

and if so when?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
2 questions. are they putting KO on the IR?

and if so when?
http://ht.ly/2PvcC

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

thanks man. tough break on KO

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote