HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ian Laperriere (Feb. 10 update: still having problems with indoor lighting)

Old
10-06-2010, 07:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm a little confused. What is the logic for not putting him on LTIR? If they think he is going to be on it all year what is the harm? Not saying I disagree with this, I just don't understand it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm a little confused. What is the logic for not putting him on LTIR? If they think he is going to be on it all year what is the harm? Not saying I disagree with this, I just don't understand it.
This is what I found, this poster knows his stuff in regards to the CBA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The only reason I can think of why a team would not put a player on LTIR is if the team wasn't near the cap and would not exceed the cap even with replacements. If a team does not exceed the cap, then LTIR has no benefit.

But Philly is close to the cap (~$877K in cap room according to Cap Geek, including Lappy's $1.16M cap hit), so they could/would benefit from putting him on LTIR.

Lappy is a 35+ yo contract player, but that should not make any difference w.r.t. LTIR.
They also may be waiting to add a player. Like I said earlier, they can replace his salary and technically go over the cap, but it has to be done within a certain amount of time (read: immediately). They have to have someone (maybe more than one if they're low cap hits) lined up in order to do it. This could include a player recalled from the minors, signing, trade, waivers, etc. LTIR can be done retroactively, or if they choose to bring him off they can't do it until they're under the cap (see Richard Matvichuk a few years ago with the Devils). Assuming he's not coming back, they may still want the option open to them if they have the opportunity. Nodl doesn't cover it, but they have the roster spot available to still bring him up. I pointed out Marty Reasoner earlier because he has a similar salary.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 08:53 PM
FlyerEra2010

vCash: 500
So from what I understand, Homer isn't sure at this point Lappy is going to have to sit out at least 24 days? That's his stated reason for not having him on LTIR right now?

Is he telling the truth or is there a reason he'd lie about it?

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...iere-to-retire

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers forward Ian Laperriere has been told to retire, according to a report from the Courier-Post of Camden, N.J. That advice comes from two doctor Laperriere visited in the past week ahead of the 2010-11 season.

As a result, Laperriere is expected to announce the end of his 15-year NHL career.

Laperriere, 36, has yet to decide his future, although he seems leaning toward the inevitable. The Flyers have not filed retirement papers but are expected to offer Laperriere a job in their organization, according to the report.

He will start the season on injured list and could be moved to long-term injured reserve if he decides to wait.

If Laperriere retires, his salary will count against the NHL's salary cap for the two years left on his contract.

Laperriere's reaction to the possibility his career is over? "If this is it, I had a hell of a run," Laperriere said.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...iere-to-retire

Same thing basically.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/P...cussion-100610

Again, same thing.

Any chance of a Rathje situation?

They're also saying that Lappy is LTIR'd for the time-being.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 09:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is what I found, this poster knows his stuff in regards to the CBA:

They also may be waiting to add a player. Like I said earlier, they can replace his salary and technically go over the cap, but it has to be done within a certain amount of time (read: immediately). They have to have someone (maybe more than one if they're low cap hits) lined up in order to do it. This could include a player recalled from the minors, signing, trade, waivers, etc. LTIR can be done retroactively, or if they choose to bring him off they can't do it until they're under the cap (see Richard Matvichuk a few years ago with the Devils). Assuming he's not coming back, they may still want the option open to them if they have the opportunity. Nodl doesn't cover it, but they have the roster spot available to still bring him up. I pointed out Marty Reasoner earlier because he has a similar salary.
Thanks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
rban*

LTIR makes sense. Even if he is actually 'retired' , ie he and the team knows he's never playing again, they can pretend that he 'might' return, and stick him on LTIR.

I think they're worried about the psychological effect on him and the rest of the team of him being on LTIR.. ie: will he come back, will he not, and when ..... but if everyone is in on the secret then that is null and void.

'Psssttttt, guys .. he's never coming back, but we just pretend he might to be able to return, just so we can get him on LTIR and avoid the cap hit....... DON'T TELL ANYONE !'

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
So from what I understand, Homer isn't sure at this point Lappy is going to have to sit out at least 24 days? That's his stated reason for not having him on LTIR right now?

Later in the season. You can leave someone on IR for as long as you need them to be, even if they're totally healthy. If you're bringing someone off IR, you have to be under the cap obviously. They may just be waiting until they have a salary they're ready to replace it with.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
keslehr*

God damn this sucks, I loved Lappy...

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
mypunkrock

[quote]''If this is it, I had a hell of a run,'' Laperriere said. ''I played a long time and played a lot of games and met a lot of nice people. It is what it is and I wouldn't change anything.''[quote\]

From the Courier Post article

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban
LTIR makes sense. Even if he is actually 'retired' , ie he and the team knows he's never playing again, they can pretend that he 'might' return, and stick him on LTIR.

I think they're worried about the psychological effect on him and the rest of the team of him being on LTIR.. ie: will he come back, will he not, and when ..... but if everyone is in on the secret then that is null and void.

'Psssttttt, guys .. he's never coming back, but we just pretend he might to be able to return, just so we can get him on LTIR and avoid the cap hit....... DON'T TELL ANYONE !'
It doesn't have to be as mysterious as that. Laperriere is probably twisting about this, hopefully talking late into the night with his wife, and looking at the end of his career. He's got a lot to work through. I'd be willing to wager that Holmgren - for all his cap stupidity and kid-in-a-candy-store trade mentality - has just told Laperriere to take his time with the decision and that they can wait a bit on him.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post

There's just no benefit to do it now. They already have a lineup ready to go without him and don't want to bring someone up right away (apparently), so putting him on LTIR doesn't really change anything.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Terence Peterman

"It is what it is, I wouldn't change anything." Holy ****. Maybe the best sports quote I've seen.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

A situation like this really shows the true class of the flyers organisation, and why the philadelphia flyers are the most respected team in the league.

I think it's all known that lappy is done for, and without blinking Snider has given him a position with in the club immediatly. Thats what you get when you treat the flyers with respect as a player, and nothing less than what he deserves.

He may of only been here for one year, but god damn, Lappy you made one hell of an impact. It all just boils down to that one series. Why flyers couldn't you have won a cup for this poor SOB

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Lappy quickly became my favorite player last year. This is the worst news I could have heard at the start of the season.

Regardless, PCS is not something to mess with, and after instances with Lindros, Primeau, some with Gagne at points, it's just not worth pushing yourself like that when you're not ready. I'm glad he's taking the safe route and not playing. Hopefully he'll be back next season, but if he isn't, as others already said, he's a Philly Legend.

A legend in such short time reminds me of Aaron Rowand. He'll always be remembered for the catch where he smashed his face in at the wall, where he looked at the wall briefly knowing he was going to hit, then went back to the ball. Regardless of what team he's on, he'll always be remembered in Philly. We don't forget things like that, and we won't forget Lappy's sacrifice, as it was one of the factors that got this team to the Finals last year.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Lappy quickly became my favorite player last year. This is the worst news I could have heard at the start of the season.

Regardless, PCS is not something to mess with, and after instances with Lindros, Primeau, some with Gagne at points, it's just not worth pushing yourself like that when you're not ready. I'm glad he's taking the safe route and not playing. Hopefully he'll be back next season, but if he isn't, as others already said, he's a Philly Legend.

A legend in such short time reminds me of Aaron Rowand. He'll always be remembered for the catch where he smashed his face in at the wall, where he looked at the wall briefly knowing he was going to hit, then went back to the ball. Regardless of what team he's on, he'll always be remembered in Philly. We don't forget things like that, and we won't forget Lappy's sacrifice, as it was one of the factors that got this team to the Finals last year.
Great post! Lappy laid it all out there for us. He was a true warrior and had the Philly mentality. Maybe he will come back next year, maybe not....either way, he needs to do what is right for him and his family. Do what ya gotta do Lappy...nobody around here will ever knock you for it. You are the MAN!

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
A situation like this really shows the true class of the flyers organisation, and why the philadelphia flyers are the most respected team in the league.

I think it's all known that lappy is done for, and without blinking Snider has given him a position with in the club immediatly. Thats what you get when you treat the flyers with respect as a player, and nothing less than what he deserves.

He may of only been here for one year, but god damn, Lappy you made one hell of an impact. It all just boils down to that one series. Why flyers couldn't you have won a cup for this poor SOB
Ah, I doubt that simply because if that were to happen he'd probably have to retire... which would mean his cap hit would be on us for the next two years. I think we end up with him LTIR'd for the next two years, collecting his paycheck all the while.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, I doubt that simply because if that were to happen he'd probably have to retire... which would mean his cap hit would be on us for the next two years. I think we end up with him LTIR'd for the next two years, collecting his paycheck all the while.
In the mean time, he can "show up to practice" and "assist the team from the bench," right?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Quote says that it is expected that the flyers will offer him a position in organisation, probably after we LTIR him though i hope

Last edited by Spongolium*: 10-07-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old
10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I see zero reason to announce retirement. ZERO. It doesn't help the team one bit. Why would Lappy want to hurt the team with the cap hit? Why would the team wan the cap hit when he can be LEGITIMATELY put on LTIR? He isn't retiring, he is too injured to play. I really don't get, not one bit. He needs to be Rathje'd as others have said.

jd2210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

That means another two seasons of having no deadline aquisitions

Old
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
I'm no Flyers fan, but Lappierre was a throwback hockey player that played a fearless game. Nothing but respect for the man, and I hope his quality of life doesn't suffer as the result of his injury.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I see zero reason to announce retirement. ZERO. It doesn't help the team one bit. Why would Lappy want to hurt the team with the cap hit? Why would the team wan the cap hit when he can be LEGITIMATELY put on LTIR? He isn't retiring, he is too injured to play. I really don't get, not one bit. He needs to be Rathje'd as others have said.
This.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:08 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I am sure that his salary is insured.
Unlikely. I heard most teams only insure big contracts because it's expensive to do it.

For example, Jim Playfair mentioned to me in an interview at the NHL 11 community event that the Flames only insure their top 5 or so contracts.

Given the Flyers salaries, I see them having

Richards
Carter
Briere
Pronger
Timonen
Hartnell

contracts insured. Maybe Meszaros or Carle as well.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
tytech

I'm confused, NODL was suppose to be the next Vanek.
Does that happen through the AHL?

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
CptCannon

This blows. I'm with watery eyes here, really.

Lappy you're the man. All the best for you, life's worth living without hockey too!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote