HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
10-07-2010, 11:25 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
there goes Boucher's confidence. As much as i want to see Bob in the NHL, the pens on opening night isn't it.
I guess their looking towards the future now. Boosh isnt the future for the Flyers. Id be surprised if he is back next season. Bob will HOPEFULLY finally be our true #1. Little early now to say, and being honest starting a recently turned 22 yr old at goalie is a risk. He has played well during preseason, and I know it was just preseason, but I guess they think he deserves it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
there goes Boucher's confidence. As much as i want to see Bob in the NHL, the pens on opening night isn't it.
im not worried about Boucher's confidence. hes been around long enough to know how to deal with anything thrown at him. Having Boucher around will help Bobrovsky if he gets off to a rough start tonight. In all honesty. I rather have Boucher being the backup

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
im not worried about Boucher's confidence. hes been around long enough to know how to deal with anything thrown at him. Having Boucher around will help Bobrovsky if he gets off to a rough start tonight. In all honesty. I rather have Boucher being the backup
Wont lie, I said earilier I would rather have Bob starting in the NHL or AHL over being a backup. Well... I guess it came true. I truely think he should have been given the start against the Blues.

I think this goes to show that Lavy doesnt have much confidence in Boosh... or he just thinks Bob gives us a better chance at winning then Boosh does. Either way, if Bob does well, I wouldnt be surprised if Boosh is traded/waived this season.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wont lie, I said earilier I would rather have Bob starting in the NHL or AHL over being a backup. Well... I guess it came true. I truely think he should have been given the start against the Blues.

I think this goes to show that Lavy doesnt have much confidence in Boosh... or he just thinks Bob gives us a better chance at winning then Boosh does. Either way, if Bob does well, I wouldnt be surprised if Boosh is traded/waived this season.
I really don't know that this is a condemnation of Boosh so much as a vote of confidence in Bob, and really just a necessity. Bob can't be sitting on a bench.

I guess Lavi just figured that Bob is ready to contribute, though I would have liked to see him in against St. Louis as well.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I really don't know that this is a condemnation of Boosh so much as a vote of confidence in Bob, and really just a necessity. Bob can't be sitting on a bench.

I guess Lavi just figured that Bob is ready to contribute, though I would have liked to see him in against St. Louis as well.
I agree with the first part of your post 100% - and most of the rest.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
pelts35.com

I really hope that Bobrovsky plays well tonight given that virtually everyone here is resting their hopes that he is the Flyers savior in net this year.

I can only imagine the panic that will be running rampant if he lets in 3 or more goals, or, shudder the thought, gets yanked.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Boucher is a ten year vet. If this shakes his confidence in his ability to play he needs to sack up. I think his confidence is fine, though it is probably frustrating as all hell for him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I'm both surprised and excited. Pens, new building, no Pronger, first NHL start, first game of the season...... that is a lot to process. Good luck Bob. I'm REALLY looking forward to this game tonight. I'm really glad that in the Lavvy era preseason means something (not that Boucher was bad)

jd2210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Cartsiephan*

Love to see him do well, but would still prefer to see him get some time in the AHL unless Reese thinks it would benefit him to get some time behind Leighton if he comes back. I would have to wonder if this is tipping the hat to the Leighton controversy? Maybe he might not be back as soon as people may have predicted?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
i am dave

Quote:
@DNFlyers Frank Seravalli
Still stunned Bobrovsky will start tonight. Boucher was, too. He said he thought he did everything he was asked for the team in playoffs.
Don't know the full context, of course, but a 10-year vet should know that you don't get starts handed to you on a silver platter.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
CptCannon

Pretty sure it's just a trick to get Bobs' first NHL game done and over. I mean every single person on the planet expected Boucher to start tonight, sure as hell Bobs haven't had any extra time to get over-excited or anything.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Don't know the full context, of course, but a 10-year vet should know that you don't get starts handed to you on a silver platter.
To be fair, he did all that was asked for him in preseason, too.

It sucks for Boosh. He really did do everything the team needed him to last year and quietly swallowed his pride a number of times, but still came through.

Then he comes out, has a very solid preseason, does what's expected of him, and then at the last minute on game day has the start taken from him?

That sucks a lot.

Old
10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Love to see him do well, but would still prefer to see him get some time in the AHL unless Reese thinks it would benefit him to get some time behind Leighton if he comes back. I would have to wonder if this is tipping the hat to the Leighton controversy? Maybe he might not be back as soon as people may have predicted?
Yesterday Anthony San Filippo said he thinks Leighton's recovery will take longer than what they are saying.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

It sucks for Boosh. He really did do everything the team needed him to last year and quietly swallowed his pride a number of times, but still came through.

Then he comes out, has a very solid preseason, does what's expected of him, and then at the last minute on game day has the start taken from him?

That sucks a lot.
Here's how I see it. I do think their looking towards the future. Boosh did everything he was asked to do...but so did Bob. They know and probablly so does Boosh that Boosh wont be back next season. If they can get ATLEAST the same performance out of Bob or better then they would with Boosh, its really a win for the team. It sucks for Boosh, but he really is a career backup. He's gotta be used to it by now. Bob is out future, Boosh isnt. If they feel that Bob is ready to take the reigns now, so be it. It goes to show that they think Bob is the better goalie at the moment (or will give them a better chance). Boosh might have done all he has asked, but the club cant please everyone. You can have 2 goalies start.

Old
10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:

That sucks a lot.
I think it's just one of Laviolette's gut calls.....nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure he's taken into account the practices as well and Bob has probably worked real hard. If Boosh is that fragile well I would rather he not start...he's a backup anyway no matter what.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Here's how I see it. I do think their looking towards the future. Boosh did everything he was asked to do...but so did Bob. They know and probablly so does Boosh that Boosh wont be back next season. If they can get ATLEAST the same performance out of Bob or better then they would with Boosh, its really a win for the team. It sucks for Boosh, but he really is a career backup. He's gotta be used to it by now. Bob is out future, Boosh isnt. If they feel that Bob is ready to take the reigns now, so be it. It goes to show that they think Bob is the better goalie at the moment (or will give them a better chance). Boosh might have done all he has asked, but the club cant please everyone. You can have 2 goalies start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I think it's just one of Laviolette's gut calls.....nothing more and nothing less. I'm sure he's taken into account the practices as well and Bob has probably worked real hard. If Boosh is that fragile well I would rather he not start...he's a backup anyway no matter what.
Nobody is debating that Bob isn't the goalie of the future or that Boosh is. Or that Boosh is even the better option right now.

I just think people are being way too hard on Boosh. Firstly, we don't know the full context of that quote and even if he did say something about it, I wouldn't even blame him 100% for being bugged by it.

I mean, he had to be amped up expecting he was going to play tonight given that he had a strong end of the year, did what he was asked, and then started off pretty well in camp and then was more or less told he was going to be starting (we don't know if he ever was behind closed doors, but from the media it seems like he was labeled the #1). To have the start yanked out from under you hours before game time stings pretty bad, no matter how long you've been a backup. It's a pretty big slap in the face, all things considered.

That said, I expect that he's fine and will go right back to soldering on and doing his job as the backup, just like he did all last year. But I'll forgive him the tiniest bit of venting.

Old
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

Pens fan here. Definitely not trolling.

I'm honestly a little surprised that Boucher isn't getting the start tonight. The rookie's going into a brand new building against a team that has Crosby and Malkin with 18,000+ fans that have been waiting for this day for years. It's gonna be a loud, hostile environment. I imagine the Pens are going to be flying tonight.

That being said, maybe since he's so young it won't have any kind of affect on him and he'll be similar to Varlomov when he played lights out for the Caps during their playoff run. The pressure never got to him...simply because it couldn't.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a raining black cloud here or anything, but I wouldn't want to see the kids confidence get shattered here if I were you guys. Posting great numbers in the preseason is one thing, but going up against Crosby, Malkin and a fanbase going nuts in their new arena is a whole nother animal.

Either way guys...good luck tonight, hopefully no one gets hurt

Last edited by Xavier Laflamme*: 10-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Xavier Laflamme* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by csotirake View Post

I'm honestly a little surprised that Boucher isn't getting the start tonight. The rookie's going into a brand new building against a team that has Crosby and Malkin with 18,000+ fans that have been waiting for this day for years. It's gonna be a loud, hostile environment. I imagine the Pens are going to be flying tonight.

That being said, maybe since he's so young it won't have any kind of affect on him and he'll be similar to Varlomov when he played lights out for the Caps during their playoff run. The pressure never got to him...simply because it couldn't.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a raining black clowd here or anything, but I wouldn't want to see the kids confidence get shattered here if I were you guys. Posting great numbers in the preseason is one thing, but going up against Crosby, Malkin and a fanbase going nuts in their new arena is a whole nother animal.

Yeah, that'd be my concern.

I guess they figure if he can hack it in that new building with that crowd, then he can handle just about anything.

Old
10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a raining black clowd here or anything, but I wouldn't want to see the kids confidence get shattered here if I were you guys. Posting great numbers in the preseason is one thing, but going up against Crosby, Malkin and a fanbase going nuts in their new arena is a whole nother animal.

Well he can barely speak english so as long as there is no russian chants he'll be okay.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 01:43 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well he can barely speak english so as long as there is no russian chants he'll be okay.
Meh I'm not worried about his baptism by fire tonight...if we supposedly have the best D then we shouldn't have to worry about him getting shelled....if the D leaves him hanging well that's another story. What I like about Bob is that he can make that initial save....having said this I'm sure Malkin and Crosby will test him from all angles...

Old
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

Quote:

Right, but It's gonna be extremely loud. The Mellon could get real loud and players and personel said that even during the preseason, it sounded like the Consol was louder.

Plus, they are going against a team that is 9-3 against you guys in the last 3 seasons, plus their playoff success.

I just thought maybe an experienced Boucher, who has seen the Pens before would have been a better option. Then again, it's just one game....not a game 7.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Right, but It's gonna be extremely loud. The Mellon could get real loud and players and personel said that even during the preseason, it sounded like the Consol was louder.

Plus, they are going against a team that is 9-3 against you guys in the last 3 seasons, plus their playoff success.

I just thought maybe an experienced Boucher, who has seen the Pens before would have been a better option. Then again, it's just one game....not a game 7.
A Boucher that is experienced at getting torched by the Penguins.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Kardi

Quote:
thats why all the pens fans are shocked why hes not in net

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Those are my thoughts....Bob's style is better suited to play a team like Pitt with their offense IMO. Obviously we are just concerned about how he'll handle the experience b/c of his lack of experience. I still think he will be fine and an upgrade on Boosh despite him getting kind of kicked to the curb for the opener...

Old
10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

Quote:

Hey man, I'm in no position to pass judgement, I just wanted to see what Flyer fans like yourself thought. Obviously your head coach, Lavy, knows more about your team and your goaltending situation than I do. I think if Leighton didn't have a bad back right now, this wouldn't even be up for debate.

I just see it as a tough game for the rook given the circumstances tonight (new arena, crazy crowd, tough team ect...).

Then again, the kid could pitch a shutout tonight and leave me