HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Right hand or left hand shot?

Old
10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

vCash: 500
Beginner Right hand or left hand shot?

What would you recommend, i am right handed i know most right handed players shoot left handed. I started shooting right handed for that i didn't know any better, but being new to it would it be a better idea to switch to left handed stick? i have more control and speed in the shoot when shooting left handed but i have more accuracy in shots and passes when going right. i also noticed I'm inclined to remove my left hand when its on top from time to time. Just seeing what you guys would think is best for me to go with.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Nakket

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=822652

This thread is from a few days ago and has a similar discussion.

I am right handed, I bat and swing a golf club right handed, and pretty much do everything right handed. Except I swing a hockey stick lefty.

If you don't have a natural inclination toward one side, I will give you a few options. Grab a broom and act like you are going to sweep - note the position of your hands. Do the same with a shovel - note your hands. These are just two tests you can do, and most of the time it turns out to be the same hand position on a hockey stick.

I would say go lefty if not for the fact that control will be easier with your dominant hand on top.

Nakket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Ultra View Post
i also noticed I'm inclined to remove my left hand when its on top from time to time.
For this very reason I'd recommend shooting left. This is pretty much why I started playing left as well. I played defense and would often hold my stick with one hand for poke checks. This was much easier to do with my right hand on top

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
ponder

If you can shoot harder with a left handed stick despite already practicing right handed, I'd say make the switch, sounds more like your natural side. The shot/passing accuracy probably has more to do with the fact that you've practices with right handed sticks more.

Also, if you're gonna hold a stick 1 handed, ALWAYS remove the lower hand and keep the higher hand on the stick, NEVER the other way around.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Whatever is most comfortable. We can't really make the decision.

I am right handed, golf right handed etc. but shoot left, and whenever I try using a right handed stick I can't shoot or pass with any power whatsoever. Try both sides and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which is more dominant.

Rob Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Whatever is most comfortable. We can't really make the decision.

I am right handed, golf right handed etc. but shoot left, and whenever I try using a right handed stick I can't shoot or pass with any power whatsoever. Try both sides and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which is more dominant.
Exactly. In baseball I was a switch hitter. Sweeping or shoveling I switch hands with no issue. I'm right hand dominate but my left hand is more coordinated with a hockey stick, so I play RH. I can use a LH stick but my puckhandling is very choppy.

Go with comfort puckhandling, it's a lot easier to learn how to shoot than to puckhandle well.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Badger36

Its really a matter of person preference. Try both and see which feels the most natural to you.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Briere Up There*

Try your best to go lefty, it's an advantage.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote