HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Peter Schaefer to 1-Year, $600,000 Deal (Two-Way)

Old
10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 500
The dollar amount he took in Calgary seems like a great deal for a player with his resume and skill set. That's 4th line, roll player money. In the end I think we lost out on Morrison because he'll get more responsibility with the Flames. I honestly thought Morrison would sign for a much higher salary once I saw him play some preseason games.

If he wanted to be here I think he would have made a significant contribution. He's a wily vet. He's got some skill, is a former iron man, known for clutch goals in OT and shootouts. He would have been perfect in a bottom six role with some gritty line mates. A guy like that on a stacked team would have come in very handy when our depth got tested. Morrison signing with the Flames is my biggest disappointment of the preseason.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I thought he looked physically nowhere close to the NHL level during training camp. I know he had a long layoff from hockey but is the payoff going to be worth the wait while he gets back into game shape? Morrison would have been much better than Schaefer from what they showed in the preseason. I guess Morrison may not have been an option though once Calgary came calling. Too bad.
I thought he looked better than Morrison in every facet of the game. What about Morrison's pre-season no-show impressed you? The guy still has some wheels, but he didn't show much else. Schaefer scored, killed penalties, played better defense, is physically stronger than Morrison, can hit a little bit, and is much stronger along the boards.

I really don't know what Morrison some people were watching. His only real chance to make the Canucks was as the 2nd line winger (or centre if Kesler played the wing), but Torres outplayed him. As did Tamby, in my opinion. Morrison was the third best option on the second line, narrowly ahead of Hodgson if you don't consider future potential.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^I wouldn't go as far as to call Morrison a no-show. I thought he displayed good two-way ability, was strong in the faceoff circle, an effective penalty killer and moved the puck smartly out of his zone--all areas where RJ struggled last year as the 4th line center.

However, with Bolduc's progressive improvement as the preseason wore on, the Canucks decided to side with the young guy with potential upside vs. the veteran.

In Schaefer's case, he had a solid camp in all areas as well. Except he managed to help generate more offensive than Mo did--which for a guy coming off a year with no hockey is impressive. He also took a two-way deal, something Mo likely wouldn't have done if we'd made him such an offer.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
The dollar amount he took in Calgary seems like a great deal for a player with his resume and skill set. That's 4th line, roll player money. In the end I think we lost out on Morrison because he'll get more responsibility with the Flames. I honestly thought Morrison would sign for a much higher salary once I saw him play some preseason games.

If he wanted to be here I think he would have made a significant contribution. He's a wily vet. He's got some skill, is a former iron man, known for clutch goals in OT and shootouts. He would have been perfect in a bottom six role with some gritty line mates. A guy like that on a stacked team would have come in very handy when our depth got tested. Morrison signing with the Flames is my biggest disappointment of the preseason.
What?! The guy was like a -2 with 1 meagre assist, very few shots on goal, and isn't very strong on the puck. I thought he'd get 600k to play somewhere on a one-way deal. Hansen money seemed like the high end of what he'd get.

And he didn't go to Calgary because he got offered more. He didn't get offered anything by Mike Gillis. No years, no one or two ways, no dollar amounts -- nothing. In fact, he couldn't even negotiate with other teams while he was in Vancouver, so if they'd be interested they could have offered him something.

Look, Calgary is a good fit for him. He'll get a chance no the 2nd line with some decent players that complement his skillset (Hagman and Bourque). He has a chance to have a decent year. He wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks top six, however, and doesn't have the necessary skills to be a utility player on the third or fourth line, in my opinion. He's basically an older Wellwood at this point -- who I think Calgary should have signed.

But that's just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^I wouldn't go as far as to call Morrison a no-show. I thought he displayed good two-way ability, was strong in the faceoff circle, an effective penalty killer and moved the puck smartly out of his zone--all areas where RJ struggled last year as the 4th line center.

However, with Bolduc's progressive improvement as the preseason wore on, the Canucks decided to side with the young guy with potential upside vs. the veteran.

In Schaefer's case, he had a solid camp in all areas as well. Except he managed to help generate more offensive than Mo did--which for a guy coming off a year with no hockey is impressive. He also took a two-way deal, something Mo likely wouldn't have done if we'd made him such an offer.
Fine, instead of a "no show", I'll call him a "barely showed". He would have had very little utility on the Canucks bottom six, in my opinion. I would have rather re-signed Wellwood as the fourth line centre, given Morrison's showing in the last couple games of pre-season.

Look, I was really keen on them bringing Morrison in. I thought he could hack it and he looked pretty speedy the first couple of games. But I realized by the end of camp that most of what I was seeing was what I wanted to see because I think he's a great guy and was a great competitor in Vancouver. But looking at the pre-season, I don't think he was very good, much like Oreskovich (who I also really wanted to see crack the line-up).

Last edited by Proto: 10-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
biturbo19

Out of Morrison/Schaefer, i'm glad things ended up the way they did. From what i saw in camp, Schaefer is a guy who fits much better with the Canucks real needs this year. He'll be a great guy to have around to help out the PK. Even if he's in and out of the lineup as a spare from time to time, i think he's the sort of guy who you can plug into a lot of different roles effectively and not worry about it.

To me, Morrison essentially just fills the same role as Hodgson would/will/can, but with Morrison on a downward trend and no future with the team, and Hodgson trending upward as he gets back to game shape, and able to shuttle back and forth to Manitoba as needed.

I'd even say that IMO Schaefer had a much more impressive camp than Morrison, who seemed to have a good start, but then tailed off a bit. Though the nostalgia factor with Morrison seems to have boosted the general impression of him around Vancouver.

But Schaefer is definitely the one to go with, and he should be a very valuable depth addition with some solid experience and some real perserverance.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Tiranis

As far as I understand, 'Nucks offered a two-way deal or at least presented the possibility and Morrison or his agent just flat out refused. There's a link somewhere out there...

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
As far as I understand, 'Nucks offered a two-way deal or at least presented the possibility and Morrison or his agent just flat out refused. There's a link somewhere out there...
That would be news to me. The only report I saw was that the Canucks didn't make a contract offer.

Old
10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That would be news to me. The only report I saw was that the Canucks didn't make a contract offer.
They presented the possibility, they didn't make an actual offer, but they were refused so it didn't go any further.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336246
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...-joins-flames/

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
They presented the possibility, they didn't make an actual offer, but they were refused so it didn't go any further.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336246
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...-joins-flames/
Interesting. So I guess they did have some interest in Morrison over Bolduc. I'm glad it didn't work out that way, as I expect Hodgson to get a shot at the 4th line centre spot sometime around Christmas.

Old
10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
VanEric

Gillis may have brought up a similar contract to Morrison's agent and it was a non-starter so Gillis didn't go any further.

It looks to me like Gillis has tried to add some flexibility with these bottom guys where quite a number of them can go up and down if needed.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I thought he looked better than Morrison in every facet of the game. What about Morrison's pre-season no-show impressed you? The guy still has some wheels, but he didn't show much else. Schaefer scored, killed penalties, played better defense, is physically stronger than Morrison, can hit a little bit, and is much stronger along the boards.

I really don't know what Morrison some people were watching. His only real chance to make the Canucks was as the 2nd line winger (or centre if Kesler played the wing), but Torres outplayed him. As did Tamby, in my opinion. Morrison was the third best option on the second line, narrowly ahead of Hodgson if you don't consider future potential.
Morrison looked like he's a player that has NHL skating and could carry the puck or make a play. If Morrison was a -2 I think he looked better doing it. With the kind of blowouts we suffered in Edmonton and San Jose what does being -2 in the preseason mean anyways?

Is Schaefer going to be better on the PK than Morrison would have been? I didn't watch every minute of every preseason game. But when I was watching I noticed Morrison making plays like an NHLer. When I noticed Schaefer he looked weak. We'll see, I guess. I would have much preferred Morrison if it could have worked.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Wetcoaster

On the Canucks Live Chat today the consensus from the Province hockey writers seemed to be Schaefer is only signed to play with the Canucks until Burrows returns.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
^ Desbiens seemed to think he was signed to play with the Canucks only for a month - until Burrows' returns or was he alluding to Rypien's return?

We'll have to wait and see who plays himself onto and/or off the lineup I guess.

Personally I think w/o a greater hockey intellect/skill anticipating plays - that's quite possibly Schaefer but unlikely to be Bolduc, Desbiens, Glass or Rypien IMO - the 4th will be inconsistent. Mind you, that would be an improvement over being consistently bad like the past 2 seasons.

Last edited by Outside99*: 10-07-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Placebo Effect

capgeek

The Peter Schaefer deal with the Canucks is worth $600,000 NHL/$105,000 AHL for anyone who missed it in the Vancouver media.

Guess the deal has been registered

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
On the Canucks Live Chat today the consensus from the Province hockey writers seemed to be Schaefer is only signed to play with the Canucks until Burrows returns.
Possible. I think it will be evaluated as the games progress who stays and who goes. Obviously someone will have to go back to Winnipeg from the roster. Could be Schaefer, could be Desbiens. Depends on who asserts themselves the best at this level.

Old
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
capgeek

The Peter Schaefer deal with the Canucks is worth $600,000 NHL/$105,000 AHL for anyone who missed it in the Vancouver media.

I'll use that as an official source.

When I first heard Schaef was an invite, didn't think he'd actually crack the team. But he came in, worked hard, accepted the minimum...definitely wants to be here and was rewarded with an opportunity. Gotta like that.

Old
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Possible. I think it will be evaluated as the games progress who stays and who goes. Obviously someone will have to go back to Winnipeg from the roster. Could be Schaefer, could be Desbiens. Depends on who asserts themselves the best at this level.
But how great is that; how motivated will Schaefer be this yr? He will be playing his butt off every single shift, all yr long.
Or, he could fake an injury when he sees Burrows is close.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Proto

I am fairly comfortable that by the end of Burrows stint on the LTIR, it will be clear that Schaefer is an NHLer and Desbien is not. But that's why they play the games.

Old
10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Well Burrows is not going to be back into form for a long time, so it really has no importance right now.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
VanEric

Even if he does wind up going down at some point, it's good to have a veteran like that to call up if there's another injury.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:24 PM
tantalum

If Schaefer deserves to be in the lineup when everyone is healthy he will be in the lineup. His presence will put the pressure on guys like Glass, Hansen and Rypien to be contributing members of the lineup. IN particular I think he'll be putting pressure on Hansen who has a similar role on the team. That is, of course, if Schaefer can continue to shake the rust off and get better.

If he isn't good enough to be in the everyday lineup I'm sure he'll be happy enough collecting his 600+k to play in Manitoba (the Boston buyout + 105k AHL salary).

Pretty clear at this point Gillis is stocking the pressbox and Moose with veterans who have shown the ability to step into an NHL lineup when called upon. He is building depth for the canucks this season as well giving the Moose experience for the likes of Hodgson, Schroeder, Sauve, Sweat etc to learn from. Gillis is clearly looking at a long playoff run this season.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
capgeek

I dont see this on capgeek, do u have a link?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:52 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I dont see this on capgeek, do u have a link?
It was a tweet:

capgeek CapGeek.com

http://twitter.com/#!/capgeek

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
LeftCoast

As far as Schaefer being waived when Burrows returns, that was Galagher. He may be right, but personally I would be surprised if Schaefer is only making $600K and Desbiens is kept on the roster rather than him.

Vigneault does like his punchers, and Desbiens will drop the gloves while Schaefer is not known for this, but Schaefer is a 100% better hockey player and can PK much better.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I think it all depends on how Shaefer plays.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote