HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part Two) #1: Flyers @ Penguins - Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010 -

Old
10-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Put Richards with JVR and just watch the goals fly in. I know I'm going homer here, but I honestly thought JVR was probably our best forward.
He showed great explosiveness and hustle out there, on top of what you mentioned about his shot. He looked to dictate the play in the offensive zone and bring the play to them, instead of letting the play come to him, which is a really encouraging thing to see from him for sure.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Beastieboy

I've said this before... Richie was great on the wing in the Olympics. Carter is better at face-offs and looks lost on the wing. Why not put Carter in the middle and let Richie play wing, battle on the boards, etc.?

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Jesus, there is a lot of silly Carter hatred. First, you are going to see him start taking a great deal more faceoffs since he's the only player we have that isn't routinely made to look like a fool at the dot.

Second, if you don't like Carter, I'd hate to see what you have to say about Briere and Zherdev... NO ONE on this team is a superstar (outside of Shelley) and, therefore, everyone has at least one hole in their game. Richards sucks at faceoffs, Briere lacks size, Zherdev has defensive lapses, etc.

And if you think that Carter is overpaid, your problem isn't with him, it's with Homer.
Yeah I have to say, the hate has started again based on one f'ing game where he was played out of position and then got absolutely robbed by Fleury.

He could score 60 and people would still complain.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM

I can somewhat emphasise with the Carter hate around here. I mean, he's not scored for about 5 months now! Trade the bum.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

If Carter is not up on his skates skating hard and backing off the D his game obviously becomes mediocre on the O side.

It's early and the calls to trade him are a bit harsh and he's said he's not really cool with playing the wing so they are going to have to see how he fits in.....if it continues to be a problem for stretches in the season well yeah paying him about 7M depending on how you structure the contract might have to be thought about real hard especially depending on what else is available.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I've said this before... Richie was great on the wing in the Olympics. Carter is better at face-offs and looks lost on the wing. Why not put Carter in the middle and let Richie play wing, battle on the boards, etc.?
Or, alternatively, why don't we split up our 2 best defensive ES players who both happen to be natural Cs as well?

Old
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
nuclear reactor

Who should Carter be traded for? A defenseman to fill our gap on the blueline or a young stud goaltender? Guess not - hey maybe we can flip Carter for a forward who scores goals!!!!!

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Or, alternatively, why don't we split up our 2 best defensive ES players who both happen to be natural Cs as well?
They just need to be broken up...the finals should have made that obvious even with Carter's broken feet and Richards being spent....

Carter doesn't feel comfortable on the wing and it showed...Lavy is going to have to massage this situation....

Old
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
mirimon

Zherdev - Richards - Giroux
JvR - Carter - Powe
Hartnell - Brière - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Shelley/Nödl

is what I'd like to see.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Giroux's line was excellent tonight. No need to split it up.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Yeah I have to say, the hate has started again based on one f'ing game where he was played out of position and then got absolutely robbed by Fleury.

He wasn't robbed at all by Fleury, he did the EXACT same thing two years ago in the playoffs with the game on the line. He had almost half of the net WIDE OPEN to shoot at.........and he fired it back across the crease into Fleury's pads. It was pretty much an exact re-enactment.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Jesus, there is a lot of silly Carter hatred. First, you are going to see him start taking a great deal more faceoffs since he's the only player we have that isn't routinely made to look like a fool at the dot.

Second, if you don't like Carter, I'd hate to see what you have to say about Briere and Zherdev... NO ONE on this team is a superstar (outside of Shelley) and, therefore, everyone has at least one hole in their game. Richards sucks at faceoffs, Briere lacks size, Zherdev has defensive lapses, etc.

And if you think that Carter is overpaid, your problem isn't with him, it's with Homer.
My problem is absolutely with Homer. And Carter doesnt just have holes in his game....he really only has a great shot and thats it. He has size that he doesnt use, and speed that he barely uses....When he gets the puck he just takes it to the net and shoots. He is terrible....

And he doesnt fit with these forwards. He needs north/south wingers that dont care about touching the puck....we have only one of those guys on this team that is in the top 9 (hartnell) Should have moved him instead of Gagne. With two very good offensive lines in Briere and Giroux, Richards/Gagne could have been our shut-down third line with lots of special team play.....and we would have gotten much more for him than Matt ****ing Walker

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Zherdev - Richards - Giroux
JvR - Carter - gagne
Hartnell - Brière - Leino
Carcillo - Betts - Shelley/Nödl

is what I'd like to see.
like the looks of that line myself as well...

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I'm still waiting for a

xxxxx - Carter - Giroux

experiment.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
They just need to be broken up...the finals should have made that obvious even with Carter's broken feet and Richards being spent....

Carter doesn't feel comfortable on the wing and it showed...Lavy is going to have to massage this situation....
He never has....

Old
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
mikedifr

And where the hell was Meszaros?? I wont kill him yet, I will give him some time to get acclimated to a new team and system, but this guy better get his **** together by December.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
My problem is absolutely with Homer. And Carter doesnt just have holes in his game....he really only has a great shot and thats it. He has size that he doesnt use, and speed that he barely uses....When he gets the puck he just takes it to the net and shoots. He is terrible....

And he doesnt fit with these forwards. He needs north/south wingers that dont care about touching the puck....we have only one of those guys on this team that is in the top 9 (hartnell) Should have moved him instead of Gagne. With two very good offensive lines in Briere and Giroux, Richards/Gagne could have been our shut-down third line with lots of special team play.....and we would have gotten much more for him than Matt ****ing Walker
I believe he needs the exact opposite of the bolded part, or at least one winger who likes carrying the puck. He works well with Briere, who likes to be in control of the play.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

yeah, because he didnt score 80, the ****ing party-boy slacker.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

hey guys just as a aside...

does teh NHL gamecenter thingy always end game coverage right after teh final seconds...???

its kinda ****** to be watching then have the app stop working before the players leave the ice or even get a chance to see teh 3 stars..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
And where the hell was Meszaros?? I wont kill him yet, I will give him some time to get acclimated to a new team and system, but this guy better get his **** together by December.
Getting burnt down the ice to loose pucks by Mike Rupp, and worrying about the hit rather than the puck. If he keeps that up, he'll be crucified in this city.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Who should Carter be traded for? A defenseman to fill our gap on the blueline or a young stud goaltender? Guess not - hey maybe we can flip Carter for a forward who scores goals!!!!!
Because it's not like the guy has averaged 36 goals per year the last 3 years or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr

Not even close.

1) If you go back to 08-09 (when Carter actually played on a decent line), Carter led the team in ES assists. So there's all this crap about him being a terrible playmaker when he put up the most ES assists on the team in 08-09 and had more ES assists last year than Richards? Okay.

2) Carter is the ONLY person on our team who can even come close to taking a competent FO. Pens were above 60% on FOs tonight.

3) Carter is very good defensively. Not quite Richards-good, but very, very good.

4) I agree to a point about the linemates, but last year he was saddled with a player playing like total ass and Briere (who requires a lot of ES carrying). Put him on a decent line and see what happens.

I mean, this hate is ridiculous, as I just mentioned, he's averaged 36 goals the last 3 years, I'd bet there's less than 10 guys in the league that have done that.

Old
10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm still waiting for a

xxxxx - Carter - Giroux

experiment.
I think Giroux is too good, not to play center.

how bout this

carter Giroux Zherdev

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Getting burnt down the ice to loose pucks by Mike Rupp, and worrying about the hit rather than the puck. If he keeps that up, he'll be crucified in this city.
Actually it will be Holmgren.....Yzerman right now must be having a nice chuckle....so far Walker and Meszeros are still the cap anchors they were with Tampa. Meszeros better pick it up by Dec....

Old
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Unstable

I watched with four Penguins fans....absolutely glorious!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm still waiting for a

xxxxx - Carter - Giroux

experiment.
No, no, no, no, no. If I see Giroux on the wing again this year I'm going to be pissed. Carter is a winger, Giroux is a center. period.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote