HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Brien & Gendur traded to NSH for Parent & Andersson (Parent put on waivers by VAN)

Old
10-08-2010, 01:07 AM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Do we think he is going to get into the lineup when healthy? I assume they are in no rush. Who would he supplant?
Probably have start on the fourth line with Goc and try to earn ice time. Otherwise I assume he'd bump Dumont off the Legwand-Ward line. At least that's where he did play a little bit. I don't see any spots on the top three if Dumont hangs onto his job on the Legwand line, and I think he will for a little while at least. Maybe Kostitsyn will split time with Dumont depending on the role Trotz wants that shift.

I'd like to see Kostitsyn and Wilson instead of Erat and Wilson with a good center. But I doubt that will be tried.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-08-2010 at 01:13 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Worth noting that "slacker" Kostitsyn participated in full practice today, despite a fractured toe, and was going full bore on it. Having been through that myself, I know the pain he's gritting through.
Future captain material?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Probably have start on the fourth line with Goc and try to earn ice time. Otherwise I assume he'd bump Dumont off the Legwand-Ward line. At least that's where he did play a little bit. I don't see any spots on the top three if Dumont hangs onto his job on the Legwand line, and I think he will for a little while at least. Maybe Kostitsyn will split time with Dumont depending on the role Trotz wants that shift.

I'd like to see Kostitsyn and Wilson instead of Erat and Wilson with a good center. But I doubt that will be tried.
There are two potential spots for Kostitsyn. Ward could easily be bumped down to the fourth line with Goc. If O'Reilly fails, I could see Wilson moved back to center opening a wing spot in that fashion.

I think it'll be the former though.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
There are two potential spots for Kostitsyn. Ward could easily be bumped down to the fourth line with Goc. If O'Reilly fails, I could see Wilson moved back to center opening a wing spot in that fashion.

Agree. Ideally he'd take Tootoo's spot in the lineup, but I think he'll be jockeying for position with O'Reilly, personally

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:38 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post

I think if O'Reilly fails it's Goc moving up; Wilson is playing wing this season.
For SK - his spot is Dumont in Trotz's doghouse (again) or Ward moving down; absent that, he's skating on 4th line.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think when O'Reilly fails we roll lombardi/legwand/goc/smithson down the middle

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

On slip Wilson back to center.....

Geez, this team has too many centers.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Nshpred87

Its not if Oreilly fails but when. The kid has never been impressive just lucky IMO.

Nshpred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

SOB in Nashville. Visa cleared.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
MarkMM

I agree that SK and SOB don't fit the Preds mentality, but I'm much less worried about SK. He's a high-skill, low salary guy, who's on his second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance, and when you've got so little to lose, with SK signing a very favorable contract, coming to camp with a great attitude and work ethic, all signs point to happy times.

SOB is on his FOURTH chance, the first three ending badly, he's a relatively high salary for where he's playing (I mean this both as a team with a tight budget and the strong possibility he may be a #5 player), and unhappy or not with the Canucks, did he really need to spout his mouth off? Granted, he said nice things about management and players, he just specifically went after the coach, but I'd imagine many players have issues with the coaching staff, but have the maturity, professionalism and class to handle it quietly (Dumont being one that jumps to mind).

But if there is a coach I would put faith in turning SOB into a gem, it'd be Trotz.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
According to reports, O'Brien practiced with Franson today and lead the cooldown stretch at center ice with a big smile on his face...

No word yet on whether or not he'll be in the lineup tomorrow though...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
According to reports, O'Brien practiced with Franson today and lead the cooldown stretch at center ice with a big smile on his face...

I would bet on yes. Being at home, and trotz knowing how to hide the third pair, I think he plays. Yes the systemis different, but it is still the same first pass and the same basic pk that most teasm use. He will be fine.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:48 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I think if O'Reilly fails it's Goc moving up; Wilson is playing wing this season.
For SK - his spot is Dumont in Trotz's doghouse (again) or Ward moving down; absent that, he's skating on 4th line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think when O'Reilly fails we roll lombardi/legwand/goc/smithson down the middle
Yes, leaving Wilson at wing and moving Goc up is certainly a possibility and probably even more so short term. But if all the other wings are playing well, you have to make room for SK in the top nine. He would be a complete waste on the fourth line. Goc is not.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
lol, I agree. "when" not "if"

But yeah, Goc should be playing top 9 minutes. Can't see ORLY sticking, but I suppose it could happen.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:53 AM
goalscorer

Quote:

When I heard that we aquired him, I thought that may be a decent pairing. Don't know enough about SOB to know if it is ideal, but I like the sound of it. If O'Brien can work on Franson's toughness or at least compliment the lack there of then they could work. I wonder if they have the potential to take the #3 and 4 spot from Klein and Cube?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Trotz confirms, SOB will play tonight, Sulzer will not.

Old
10-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

How was O'Brien? I couldn't get the game in Vancouver and just wanted to know how he did

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
How was O'Brien? I couldn't get the game in Vancouver and just wanted to know how he did
I think I can say the best thing you can say about a bottom pair defenseman. he didnt do anything to make me notice him.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:27 PM
WartracePred

Couple of giveaways in his first few shifts. Probably just communication-breakdown. Seemed good after that. Trotz's post-game comments indicated he was pleased with his play - described it as "heavy". I think that meant he held his ground really well. This week he only skated once in Vancouver and once with the Preds so he was expected to be a bit rusty.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Constantly noticed him shaking stuff up in front of both nets after the whistle. Thats what he gets paid for i guess......

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Something that really impressed me was the after Getzlaf went after Suter and Weber stepped in, OB came on the ice during a line change and made a beeline for Getzlaf. Luckily, he realized we had a good scoring chance going, but he had already followed Getzlaf nearly to the high slot before backing off.

If you recall, that was the minute and a half of cycling relentlessly in the Ducks end. It was good to see OB willing to go take care of business and also that he had the discipline to stop when it was no longer the primary issue at hand.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see him creep from number 5-6 to say, number 4.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see him creep from number 5-6 to say, number 4.
Didn't we tell you that?

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Something that really impressed me was the after Getzlaf went after Suter and Weber stepped in, OB came on the ice during a line change and made a beeline for Getzlaf. Luckily, he realized we had a good scoring chance going, but he had already followed Getzlaf nearly to the high slot before backing off.

If you recall, that was the minute and a half of cycling relentlessly in the Ducks end. It was good to see OB willing to go take care of business and also that he had the discipline to stop when it was no longer the primary issue at hand.
That is a really good sign, I really like the guy and if this is an indicator that he's focusing on being smart with his toughness, then there's a glimmer of excitement happening.

Regarding climbing from 5/6 to 4, I think most in Vancouver will tell you that he has the skillset to be a #4, it has always been a lack of consistency. When we had the injury bug, he did the #4 job without hiccup for a while, then he just seems to lose focus and discipline. Physically and mentally, he's long proven he's got what it takes but you almost need to baby-sit him, if you back off a bit, he falls apart.

He's in a contract year, on a team with a proven ability to mould defensemen, and has his much wished for opportunity to be a core defenseman with plenty of ice-time and offensive opportunities. If ever he was going to make it happen it'll be in Nashville, and I hope for both his and your sake it's true.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote