HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Non-weight Exercises

Old
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 500
Non-weight Exercises

Best ways to increase explosiveness, shot power, speed, agility, quickness, core body strength, and unbelievable stickhandling. Help me out here fellas.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 11:12 PM
densetsu

One word: plyometrics.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Jump squats, planks, pushups, pullups

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:33 PM
ComradeChris

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions are also welcome. I got to go no weights for about a month until I can get membership to a gym. Then the real training can begin.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Man I didn't even read the first post...best way to improve skating is to skate, to improve shooting is to shoot, to improve stickhandling is to stickhandle, and to improve passing is to pass.

The 150 pound scrawny 16 year old in the CHL can school 99% of hockey players in the world, and all they've ever done is play hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
One word: plyometrics.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Man I didn't even read the first post...best way to improve skating is to skate, to improve shooting is to shoot, to improve stickhandling is to stickhandle, and to improve passing is to pass.

The 150 pound scrawny 16 year old in the CHL can school 99% of hockey players in the world, and all they've ever done is play hockey.
...and this. Plyometrics are great to work on explosive strength and agility, but in the end the best method to improve your skating, shot and stickhandling is to practice them.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:48 PM
predfan24

I have to say that if you are a beer league player who is limited to your time on ice to 1 or 2 games, not practices, a week and you feel like you have plateaued and you simply don't have the time to get the ice time you want Plyometrics and hitting the gym have worked great for me. I've increased my overall strength and endurance quite a bit and I can tell a huge difference on the ice. Obviously fitness is only going to work if it's supported by proper technique when performing hockey skills. You can be the most fit person in the world but if you can't skate, shoot, stickhandle and pass it's not going to make a difference.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

And that would be great if we all had unlimited access to ice time, but for those that don't, there are options.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote