HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Part Two) #1: Flyers @ Penguins - Thursday, Oct. 7, 2010 -

Old
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
So I'm reading the GDT from the Pens board because I kinda enjoy the wails of agony of my enemies. However, there were actually two hilarious things in it. The first was the Tonya Harding Opponent Elimination Service in the OP of that thread.

The other is Bobrosski:
I miss Bob Ross and his calming painting sessions..don't see him as much on PBS. If alive today I'm sure he would paint us a "happy" little picture of Bobrovsky....in yellow ochre of course...with his knife.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien
(Meszaros) Getting burnt down the ice to loose pucks by Mike Rupp, and worrying about the hit rather than the puck.
I don't know if you're referring to the play I'm thinking of, but there was one occasion – don't even know which D it was – where the Dman went back nearly behind the Flyer net, with a Pen in close pursuit, and instead of playing the loose puck, let himself get rubbed out of the play. The second Flyer player – hard to see who the Flyers were on the laptop screen and with the Versus announcers being so Pitt-centric – then was able to pick up the puck without pressure and move it up ice.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

we lose this game last year , or the year before. The Flyers had not shown any ability to beat the Pens in a close game before last night in a couple of years.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't know if you're referring to the play I'm thinking of, but there was one occasion – don't even know which D it was – where the Dman went back nearly behind the Flyer net, with a Pen in close pursuit, and instead of playing the loose puck, let himself get rubbed out of the play. The second Flyer player – hard to see who the Flyers were on the laptop screen and with the Versus announcers being so Pitt-centric – then was able to pick up the puck without pressure and move it up ice.
That was the main instance, not a horrible play, but what if the 3rd guy was a Pen? The Mike Rupp comment was a bit of an exaggeration, although there were at least two instance where Mesz was going to retrieve a loose puck and there were players gaining on him who shouldn't have been, Rupp being that player twice.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
mercury

Sorry I am late to the game. . . day thread.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we lose this game last year , or the year before. The Flyers had not shown any ability to beat the Pens in a close game before last night in a couple of years.

Most definitely, there was more than one occasion with a Pens opportunity where I expected a goal to be scored, specifically the Crosby empty netter but it was not to be last night. Nice way to start the week-end.
Hopefully we'll be prepared for St Louis tomorrow in their home opener, they are going to be a dangerous team this year.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Carter stat from last night

Apart from his overall bad play on the wing.....this explains why everybody was wondering if he was even playing. His ice time was cut from what we have been generally used to...

I hope they figure out what to do with him and that if they do put him back at center which he's most comfortable with that it doesn't throw off kilter the other line combinations...and please no Shelley! Put Carcillo down there...that Carcillo, Richards and Carter line was a step behind most of the game with the occassional decent shift mostly on the backcheck..offensively just not meshing...

Quote:
STAT OF THE NIGHT: Jeff Carter, who was a minus-1 with three shots on goal, played just 15:20. That’s a full 5:22 less than linemate Mike Richards. Carter, who has been a fixture in the past on the penalty kill, did not play a single second shorthanded last night. The Flyers were 4-for-5 on the penalty kill, including the biggest kill of the night in the final 74 seconds.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz11n3ryxKv
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Old
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Apart from his overall bad play on the wing.....this explains why everybody was wondering if he was even playing. His ice time was cut from what we have been generally used to...

I hope they figure out what to do with him and that if they do put him back at center which he's most comfortable with that it doesn't throw off kilter the other line combinations...and please no Shelley! Put Carcillo down there...that Carcillo, Richards and Carter line was a step behind most of the game with the occassional decent shift mostly on the backcheck..offensively just not meshing...
Carcillo needs to be on that 4th line instead of Shelley,
Shelley needs to go away, and they need to try Nodl with Carts and Richie and see how that goes

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:22 PM
rayearth

I haven't gone through the entire thread but in case it wasn't already posted or somebody missed it. The 3 stars were:

1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Claude Giroux
3. Tyler Kennedy

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I miss Bob Ross and his calming painting sessions..don't see him as much on PBS. If alive today I'm sure he would paint us a "happy" little picture of Bobrovsky....in yellow ochre of course...with his knife.
Best show ever to watch hung over.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Best show ever to watch hung over.
Yeah I thought I had a 3-D TV back before they invented it and Bob's hair looked like a trippy fireball....

Old
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I'm inclined to agree, just throwing the idea out there. Though Giroux would look good on the wing with Richards.
I threw the same idea out there in June and the same people jumped in to dismiss it outright without a second thought.

At this point, it can't hurt to try it. Carter simply isn't a winger, and imo, both Briere and Giroux are much more dangerous at center than on the wing. The only other long term option I can see is trading Carter, but the very same people will jump in and dismiss this outright saying we need Carter's size at center in order to be able to beat the Pens, despite the existence of evidence to the contrary.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I threw the same idea out there in June and the same people jumped in to dismiss it outright without a second thought.

At this point, it can't hurt to try it. Carter simply isn't a winger, and imo, both Briere and Giroux are much more dangerous at center than on the wing. The only other long term option I can see is trading Carter, but the very same people will jump in and dismiss this outright saying we need Carter's size at center in order to be able to beat the Pens, despite the existence of evidence to the contrary.
The man scored 46-*ing-goals! You say this like putting Carter at center and moving Briere/Giroux to wing is like putting a 40-point grinder at center in their place.

1) Carter is a better goal scorer than either Briere or Giroux.

2) Carter is better defensively than either Briere or Giroux.

3) Carter is better at draws than either Briere or Giroux.

Not only that... Briere is 33 and suffered from non-trivial injuries in each of the last two years (last year being more of a nagging problem than the really bad problem the year before). Briere is firmly into the declining period of his career -- this is just a fact, not a matter of opinion.

Jeff Carter will turn 26 this season... he's in his prime years.

The next 4 years of Carter's career will almost certainly be significantly better than the next 4 years of Briere's.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The only other long term option I can see is trading Carter, but the very same people will jump in and dismiss this outright saying we need Carter's size at center in order to be able to beat the Pens, despite the existence of evidence to the contrary.
You do realize that some people have a radar as soon as you mention his name in a negative light....you asked for it heretic....

Old
10-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Flyskippy

Are you ready kids?!
I can't hear you!
Who came from the KHL over the sea?
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
Absorbent and Russian; nonporous is he
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
If gifted goaltending you wish in your nets,
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
Then root for the kid who's from Novokuznetsk!
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
SpongeBob SquarePads! (SpongeBob SquarePads!)
SpongeBob (SquarePads!)

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post

Are you ready kids?!
I can't hear you!
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
SpongeBob (SquarePads!)

Splendid.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:11 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post

Are you ready kids?!
I can't hear you!
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
(SpongeBob SquarePads!)
SpongeBob (SquarePads!)

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:43 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Betts is on pace for 82 goals.
Crosby is on pace for zero.

just sayin

Old
10-08-2010, 02:49 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Betts is on pace for 82 goals.
Crosby is on pace for zero.

just sayin
Are you trying to say people are getting excited too quickly?

Bob is a lock for the Vezina. Finalist at the very least.

Old
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Are you trying to say people are getting excited too quickly?

Bob is a lock for the Vezina. Finalist at the very least.
What? That's all? Vezina, of course, but also Calder,.Jennings, Hart, Conn Smythe and the Nobel Peace Prize for Rebound Control, to start with...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What? That's all? Vezina, of course, but also Calder,.Jennings, Hart, Conn Smythe and the Nobel Peace Prize for Rebound Control, to start with...
I thought those were all just assumed, if he's getting the Vezina with his sub 2.00 GAA and > .930 SV%......

Old
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Okay. Read this carefully and remember it forever.
POSTS ARE POSTS FOR A REASON. IT'S NO CLOSER TO A GOAL THAN A CHEST SNIPE, IN FACT, A CHEST SNIPE IS MORE ACCURATE, BUT THERE HAPPENED TO BE SOMEONE IN THE WAY.
**** posts, they're not goals. They're not amazing chances that just happened to miss. Get over it.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Okay. Read this carefully and remember it forever.
POSTS ARE POSTS FOR A REASON. IT'S NO CLOSER TO A GOAL THAN A CHEST SNIPE, IN FACT, A CHEST SNIPE IS MORE ACCURATE, BUT THERE HAPPENED TO BE SOMEONE IN THE WAY.
**** posts, they're not goals. They're not amazing chances that just happened to miss. Get over it.
Woah. Calm down, mate.

Posts are not goals, but to say that they're never good chances that just happened to miss is just silly.

A shot off the post can be a puck that the goalie should have been in better position on. As a goaltender, I don't feel good when a puck hits the post cleanly unless I got a piece and then it hit the post, in which case I know I did my job. If I miss a puck and it hits the post, I still know I missed the puck and that a matter of an inch or two means I'm beat.

Discrediting posts entirely is ridiculous. No, they're not goals and they're not a consolation prize about who should/could have won the game. But they can, at times, be telling.

Old
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I dont care about the shots that hit the post. **** happens.

Old
10-08-2010, 03:22 PM
CptCannon

Also, many times the post-shots are some random wristers from the blueline thru half a dozen of skaters. If they went towards the net, they'd hit the chest of the goalie. They just happened to go wide, hitting the post and everyone's like OH MY GOD WHAT A QUALITY CHANCE THAT WAS!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote