HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah, it's defintiely not as easy as that, but also eventually whenever he's not letting a single thing in low you do have to go for it and go high.

And as far an Gonchar last night I really don't think Goligoski played badly at all. He ran the Power play well they had good movement, he got a couple decent shots off I thought. Engelland on the other hand......
Goligoski didn't play bad at all...

Engelland and Letang though were about as bad as Bartulis, and likewise about as bad as that musical abortion that opened the night.

I will say Coburn and Orpik were the two noisiest defensemen last night in a good way, though Timonen was quietly dominant as always.

Martin looked kinda meh, as did Meszaros.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Goligoski didn't play bad at all...

Engelland and Letang though were about as bad as Bartulis, and likewise about as bad as that musical abortion that opened the night.

I will say Coburn and Orpik were the two noisiest defensemen last night in a good way, though Timonen was quietly dominant as always.

Martin looked kinda meh, as did Meszaros.
It was an absolutely terrible idea to pair Letang and Martin together. I don't think we'll see that next game. Martin I thought was good. He was solid as always positionally, and his pass to Kennedy on the goal was awesome. But yeah Letang looked bad. I thought he lacked the physicality he showed in the preseason (which I think the reasoning behind that pairing was, Martin doesn't have any physical presence, but Letang showed he was capable of it). Overall I just think that pairing lacks too much size to get that many minutes together.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
It was an absolutely terrible idea to pair Letang and Martin together. I don't think we'll see that next game. Martin I thought was good. He was solid as always positionally, and his pass to Kennedy on the goal was awesome. But yeah Letang looked bad. I thought he lacked the physicality he showed in the preseason (which I think the reasoning behind that pairing was, Martin doesn't have any physical presence, but Letang showed he was capable of it). Overall I just think that pairing lacks too much size to get that many minutes together.
Getting undressed for the shorty, on the other hand, wasn't so good.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:56 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Getting undressed for the shorty, on the other hand, wasn't so good.
Wow before just watching that replay real quick I thought it was Letang that got undressed. Yeah that was hideous...

Old
10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Wow before just watching that replay real quick I thought it was Letang that got undressed. Yeah that was hideous...
No, Letang just made a moronic pass. Martin was the one who got undressed.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Not to defend the way the Pens played tonight (and in no way do I mean to start a fight over this, but it's honestly the way I feel), but I honestly feel like none of the Pens players ever seeing Bobrovsky play had a lot to do with it. I (obviously) honestly feel like the Penguins have a better team. He played phenomenally, don't get me wrong, but still.....I think that if Crosby had seen him he wouldnt have tried to go far pad as much as he did (because I saw him do that legitimately 4 times). He hasn't shown this yet, but I think the way to beat him might be up top (there's no evidence of this other than the fact that the Pens went high like maybe 5 times this game and only one of them legit a scoring chance if I remember correctly).

Like I said, I think you really may have a keeper in this guy. He really looked a lot better than Fleury tonight I think, and if you made me make an opinion, I think the Pens had the better defense on the ice (even though I texted my friend multiple times I wanted to beat Engelland to a pulp because of how awful he played, only the first goal had to do with him). If he can show he has up top covered then he's for sure a keeper....but after watching the Pens game again (and not being nearly as emotionally involved) it made me realize the Pens never really tried to go up top against him, and I'm not couting the Kennedy goal as evidence of that because honestly that goal just looked he lost an edge and was kinda screwed there. That kinda stuff just happens.
Typical Pens fan BS. Get used to it, you will be looking up in the standings for the rest of the season. NOTHING better than spoiling the home opener for Mario and Gary, plus that VS crew.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:02 AM
vecens24

Quote:
No, Letang just made a moronic pass. Martin was the one who got undressed.
Yeah, that was just awful all around. After that play my neighbors downstairs (I live in a big apartment complex) came upstairs because I hit my table so loud that they thought the roof was going to come in. My anger at that point was pretty high haha.

I'm ready to move on from that game though. Flyers deserved the win, Pens played like ****.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
MrHockey1982

Gentlemen,

I am new to these boards but not new to hockey. I am a diehard Flyers fan and hockey fan and look forward to having many great discussions with you all. It looks like we have a very intelligent and respectful discussion going on here. I hope that is how all the boards are.

That being said, I am EXTREMELY excited about last night's game and the potential of Bobs!! I watched that game last night and was going crazy like it was a playoff game!! He is hands-down the reason we won last night and if he can keep it up we've finally got the goalie we've always wanted!! LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
I'm ready to move on from that game though. Pens deserved the win, but Bob played like a world beater and we owned the 2nd period (like usual).
That was more my take on the game, to be honest.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Gentlemen,

I am new to these boards but not new to hockey. I am a diehard Flyers fan and hockey fan and look forward to having many great discussions with you all. It looks like we have a very intelligent and respectful discussion going on here. I hope that is how all the boards are.

That being said, I am EXTREMELY excited about last night's game and the potential of Bobs!! I watched that game last night and was going crazy like it was a playoff game!! He is hands-down the reason we won last night and if he can keep it up we've finally got the goalie we've always wanted!! LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!
Welcome to the board! There is an introduction thread at the top of the page, if you'd like.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
If Giroux gets behind the defense, hes going to make alot of people look silly like last night. i think Martin got a bit flat footed after that lazy pass by Letang. Probably did not expect that pass in his own zone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That was more my take on the game, to be honest.
I don't think so.

Pens dominated the first period, but Bob hung on through the onslaught that you knew was coming. Hell, it was the first regular season game ever at the CEC. I would question the Pens' cajones if they didn't come out to play.

That said, we weathered the storm, thanks mostly to Bobrovsky.

The Flyers settled down, controlled the tempo brilliantly in the 2nd. The Pens woke up and tried to take it back, but the 3rd period was pretty back and forth.

That's what I saw.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:20 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
I don't think so.

Pens dominated the first period, but Bob hung on through the onslaught that you knew was coming. Hell, it was the first regular season game ever at the CEC. I would question the Pens' cajones if they didn't come out to play.

That said, we weathered the storm, thanks mostly to Bobrovsky.

The Flyers settled down, controlled the tempo brilliantly in the 2nd. The Pens woke up and tried to take it back, but the 3rd period was pretty back and forth.

That's what I saw.
Meh, we were pinned a ton in the 3rd from what I saw, not as much as in the 1st, but enough to notice the difference, imo.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

What I saw was a team pinned for a lot of stretches in the game like in the finals b/c they have faceoff issues still and couldn't maintain puck possession.....they need to be better at faceoffs and that was something Holmgren needed to address but did not...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:30 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Meh, we were pinned a ton in the 3rd from what I saw, not as much as in the 1st, but enough to notice the difference, imo.

This is correct. Bobs saved us in the first. We won the second. Edge to pitt in the 3rd. I hope our poor play in the first was just a result of the pens expending all their energy to get the lead.

Let's see about some history for the CEC =

1st goal - Briere, First PP - Flyers, First PPG - Briere, First SH Goal - Giroux, First loss - Pens, YEA BABY!!!

Man I am still ecstatic over that game because of the Pens dominance over the past few years. Hopefully that will be a thing of the past. Now we own history over the Pens! Couldn't have scripted it any better, except for a shutout!!

Old
10-08-2010, 11:50 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Meltzer's musing today...methinks he's a bit too conservative on Bob but valid points. I hope he continues to earn starts up until my game next Sat vs these same Penguinos...

Quote:
Peter Laviolette took a risk last night in starting rookie goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky rather than making the safe move of giving the nod to veteran Brian Boucher. I have to admit that I probably would not have done that if I had been in Laviolette's shoes, but the coach came up smelling like a rose. Bobrovsky turned in a strong NHL debut in a high-pressure atmosphere. It doesn't get much tougher in the regular season than playing Pittsburgh in its brand new home building in front of an energized crowd.

The Russian netminder held the Flyers in the game through a slow start, and played a major part in the club's victory. You can't help but be impressed by Bobrovsky's athleticism, and perhaps the most heartening thing about him is that he's very eager to receive coaching to continue to improve. His potential as an NHL goalie is obvious.

But before we all get too carried away with proclaiming Bobrovsky the answer to all the Flyers' goaltending question marks (both short-term and long-term), keep three things in mind:

1) The league doesn't have a scouting "book" on Bobrovsky yet. Hockey is a game of adjustments. Before long, teams will figure out his strengths (lateral movement, quick glove, closes the five-hole quickly) and potential weaknesses (still largely untested on the stick side, plus it remains to be seen how good his rebound control). It will then be up to Bobrovsky to make the necessary adjustments.

2) Everything has gone smoothly so far for him. That's what you want, of course, but eventually he's going to face adversity. That's where you really learn about a player, especially a goaltender.

3) He is still going to need time to get fully acclimated to the North American rink and game. Bobrovsky seems to have good mechanics and already be adjusting to the angles, but only rarely does the process go off without a few hiccups along the way.

That said, Bobrovsky appears to be the type of goaltender who remains calm under pressure. After his performance last night, he's earned another start.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:50 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
It looks like we have a very intelligent and respectful discussion going on here.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post

LOL nice pic!! I am just showing respect to everyone because I'm new to the boards. SO FAR it seems like a respectful and intelligent discussion. Is that better?

Old
10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Peter Laviolette took a risk last night in starting rookie goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky rather than making the safe move of giving the nod to veteran Brian Boucher. I have to admit that I probably would not have done that if I had been in Laviolette's shoes, but the coach came up smelling like a rose. Bobrovsky turned in a strong NHL debut in a high-pressure atmosphere. It doesn't get much tougher in the regular season than playing Pittsburgh in its brand new home building in front of an energized crowd.

The Russian netminder held the Flyers in the game through a slow start, and played a major part in the club's victory. You can't help but be impressed by Bobrovsky's athleticism, and perhaps the most heartening thing about him is that he's very eager to receive coaching to continue to improve. His potential as an NHL goalie is obvious.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
But before we all get too carried away with proclaiming Bobrovsky the answer to all the Flyers' goaltending question marks (both short-term and long-term), keep three things in mind:

1) The league doesn't have a scouting "book" on Bobrovsky yet. Hockey is a game of adjustments. Before long, teams will figure out his strengths (lateral movement, quick glove, closes the five-hole quickly) and potential weaknesses (still largely untested on the stick side, plus it remains to be seen how good his rebound control). It will then be up to Bobrovsky to make the necessary adjustments.
Agreed. It's one thing for him to be successful early, but he needs to continuously adapt. Coaching will help him I hope. The risk there is that the coaching he receives can go to his head too much. The Flyers need to be patient and careful with him.

Quote:
2) Everything has gone smoothly so far for him. That's what you want, of course, but eventually he's going to face adversity. That's where you really learn about a player, especially a goaltender.
Disagree. He's shown how he battles through adversity. That was one of my notes on him.

Meltzer just said he faced adversity in Pittsburgh and shown through. If he's not facing adversity as a young goalie who has never played in North America, never communicated with teammates on the ice in anything other than Russian, never had a goalie coach, and had his season opener on the road against Crosby/Malkin in a brand new arena on a night where the ice was completely sloppy, I don't know what adversity is.

One things in the book of Bobrovsky is his cool under pressure and his ability to keep from getting rattled.

Quote:
3) He is still going to need time to get fully acclimated to the North American rink and game. Bobrovsky seems to have good mechanics and already be adjusting to the angles, but only rarely does the process go off without a few hiccups along the way.
I think Bob got a little cocky at points when playing the puck, but I didn't see many other hiccups. He looked solid.

Quote:
That said, Bobrovsky appears to be the type of goaltender who remains calm under pressure. After his performance last night, he's earned another start.
As I said, Bobrovsky, dating back to Russia, has always handled pressure well; probably a testament to how bad his KHL team was. This was a new scenario last night, but in the regard of seeing a ton of shots one after another while his team is struggling in its own end, he was right at home.

I have more questions about how he will survive when the pressures not on when our full defense skates and we're playing some weaker teams. He needs to demonstrate he can keep his head in the game through the lulls when his heart isn't racing.

Last edited by CS: 10-08-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old
10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Meltzer's musing today...methinks he's a bit too conservative on Bob but valid points. I hope he continues to earn starts up until my game next Sat vs these same Penguinos...
Meltzer is spot on. Bobrovsky has had a smooth transition so far. He has faced vertually no adversity yet. i want to see how he handles it. How he deals with giving up a bad goal that leads to a loss. goalies need to have short memories.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:05 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Disagree. He's shown how he battles through adversity. That was one of my notes on him.

Meltzer just said he faced adversity in Pittsburgh and shown through. If he's not facing adversity as a young goalie who has never played in North America, never communicated with teammates on the ice in anything other than Russian, never had a goalie coach, and had his season opener on the road against Crosby/Malkin in a brand new arena on a night where the ice was completely sloppy, I don't know what adversity is.

One things in the book of Bobrovsky is his cool under pressure and his ability to keep from getting rattled
This is where Meltzer kind of contradicted himself..agree.

I like Bob being cocky...Roy was cocky..special goalies are cocky and should be but Bob is also mature enough it seems to keep it in check. The main thing about Bob is his adaptability...this is why I think he'll survive in this league and improve. No doubt he'll have his hiccups...all goalies have but this "Cat" has got immense potential and in the second half we'll see a more polished goalie whether it's with the big boys or down with the Phantoms.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Meltzer is spot on. Bobrovsky has had a smooth transition so far. He has faced vertually no adversity yet. i want to see how he handles it. How he deals with giving up a bad goal that leads to a loss. goalies need to have short memories.
He's usually very meticulous with his analysis and spot on from my standpoint...this musing he was a tad off IMO....but Bill is human and leaps and bounds better than our Flyer "insider" Tim the tweeting twit..LOL!

Old
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
He's usually very meticulous with his analysis and spot on from my standpoint...this musing he was a tad off IMO....but Bill is human and leaps and bounds better than our Flyer "insider" Tim the tweeting twit..LOL!
I'm not necessarily Bill was wrong. Instead I think he focused a little too much on Bob being untested and forgot just what makes him untested.

We know Bob can handle pressure. That's not the issue. This kid has laughed in the face of adversity for years in the KHL. You've seen him do it here as well.

He's an extremely poised kid who looks awesome when his heart's racing at a million miles an hour. He reacts. It comes natural to him.

This real question is how well he will keep his head in the game through the lulls over an 82 game season. Pronger won't always be out of the lineup, and we're not always going to be playing the Penguins.

How is he going to handle it when his adrenaline is cold?

To control himself, he needs to have a switch. He needs to be able to turn himself off or on at the drop of a dime. If he runs at full speed every minute of every game, he's going to wear himself out. Overloading and overwhelming him was my biggest concern from the get-go. That doesn't mean throwing him in high pressure situations is going to overload him, it's the full entire scope of things from the high-energy situations to the coaching to the lulls where he needs to be ready for anything.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If Giroux gets behind the defense, hes going to make alot of people look silly like last night. i think Martin got a bit flat footed after that lazy pass by Letang. Probably did not expect that pass in his own zone.
Giroux is a ****ing magician.

Bonus: he can grow a beard.

Last edited by The Cheat: 10-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
I'm not necessarily Bill was wrong. Instead I think he focused a little too much on Bob being untested and forgot just what makes him untested.

We know Bob can handle pressure. That's not the issue. This kid has laughed in the face of adversity for years in the KHL. You've seen him do it here as well.

He's an extremely poised kid who looks awesome when his heart's racing at a million miles an hour. He reacts. It comes natural to him.

This real question is how well he will keep his head in the game through the lulls over an 82 game season. Pronger won't always be out of the lineup, and we're not always going to be playing the Penguins.

How is he going to handle it when his adrenaline is cold?

To control himself, he needs to have a switch. He needs to be able to turn himself off or on at the drop of a dime. If he runs at full speed every minute of every game, he's going to wear himself out. Overloading and overwhelming him was my biggest concern from the get-go. That doesn't mean throwing him in high pressure situations is going to overload him, it's the full entire scope of things from the high-energy situations to the coaching to the lulls where he needs to be ready for anything.

No I got ya..I agree that's why I said he was a tad off. Def Bob is playing on adrenaline, excitement and the novelty of it all and we don't know how he'll hold up through a long season like JVR had problems with. Goalies are a strange breed but to me he seems to have the "right" stuff to work through it all. Trust me I don't get high on too many players..Tim Kerr is still my alltime favorite and I've been meh ever since with players except Lindros but Bob has me excited.