HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky baptism of fire, give it to him Now!

Old
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
Giroux is a ****ing magician.

Bonus: he can grow a beard.

That would be cool if he could make disappear Shelley....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Well in speaking with the Russian guy from his home town at work. Bobs ONLY wanted to play in the NHL growing up. That was his dream! He knew playing in the KNL would get him noticed. He WANTS to be the best and will only improve on his skills, now that he will be coached on it. Seeing that clip of him in the arena with his glove on gave me chills. He wants it!

I am glad we have a talented GK in the system, regardless if he stays in the NHL this year or not. Bobs seems to be the type of player who always looks to do better, never complacent with what he has just done.

=)

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
That would be cool if he could make disappear Shelley....
Apparently you DID NOT see Shelley tear it up last night....

Old
10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Apparently you DID NOT see Shelley tear it up last night....
oh no I saw it....he tore up that ice spinning his wheels....horrible...just horrible

Old
10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm not necessarily Bill was wrong. Instead I think he focused a little too much on Bob being untested and forgot just what makes him untested.

We know Bob can handle pressure. That's not the issue. This kid has laughed in the face of adversity for years in the KHL. You've seen him do it here as well.

He's an extremely poised kid who looks awesome when his heart's racing at a million miles an hour. He reacts. It comes natural to him.

This real question is how well he will keep his head in the game through the lulls over an 82 game season. Pronger won't always be out of the lineup, and we're not always going to be playing the Penguins.

How is he going to handle it when his adrenaline is cold?

To control himself, he needs to have a switch. He needs to be able to turn himself off or on at the drop of a dime. If he runs at full speed every minute of every game, he's going to wear himself out. Overloading and overwhelming him was my biggest concern from the get-go. That doesn't mean throwing him in high pressure situations is going to overload him, it's the full entire scope of things from the high-energy situations to the coaching to the lulls where he needs to be ready for anything.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but disagree with your analysis that Bob has faced adversity for years and has excelled under pressure. Being on a bottom-feeder team in the KHL means that you have to fight hard to win games, yes...but that doesn't come with heavy pressure. It is a lot easier to play a game on a bad team - and play very well - knowing that expectations are minimal. When you're on a bad team as a goalie, you're on a bad team, and it makes it very easy to set and excel at personal goals. It takes a lot of pressure off.

I think last night was a very good pressure situation, and he did show his poise well, but he's playing for a team expected to win the Stanley Cup right now, in a big market that is starving for a good goalie. Adversity is going to come if he has a rough game and has to bounce back, loses his starting role, or gets sent down to the AHL. How he responds to all of those things - in this town - are going to show his ability to deal with pressure and adversity. Because it is going to get harder for him once the adrenaline wears off, as you said, and once people get a chance to really scout him. That's when we'll see just how cool under pressure he really is.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying he isn't calm or collected, but he really has had a very easy on-ice transition to the NHL so far, and has won instant adoration from the organization and fans. Whenever this high wears off is when we'll find out what he really has. I suspect that what we're seeing really is the start of something better, but the odds are that it only gets tougher on him from here. There are always going to be growing pains.

Also, he does need to adjust his game more. His angles aren't perfect, he's not always sure where the pucks are going (he got caught not paying attention or just not reading the plays a few times), and he needs to settle his happy feet down and play a little bigger up high. But these are all normal things for a goalie in his situation to be dealing with.

One way or another, it's going to be a very fun year watching him. I'm way more excited than I've been about any other goaltender we've had in my lifetime.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
SgtJoseph

For those doubting this kids abilities etc, Claude Girioux was quoted in an article about how he " could not score on BOB in practices " and said as well as he played he deserved to start.Girioux has more moves than EXLAX and found scoring on this kid very difficult, as also other players including Boosh have been VERY impressed with him.He will have some ups and downs like all goalies do, but he deserves the praise he is getting..That was a bold performance last night for the young man, especially considering it was opening night for a new arena full of Pens fans.....You just gotta love how well he handled that whole deal !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Bob just got compared to Leighton on the main board....main board people kill me.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying, but disagree with your analysis that Bob has faced adversity for years and has excelled under pressure. Being on a bottom-feeder team in the KHL means that you have to fight hard to win games, yes...but that doesn't come with heavy pressure. It is a lot easier to play a game on a bad team - and play very well - knowing that expectations are minimal. When you're on a bad team as a goalie, you're on a bad team, and it makes it very easy to set and excel at personal goals. It takes a lot of pressure off.

I think last night was a very good pressure situation, and he did show his poise well, but he's playing for a team expected to win the Stanley Cup right now, in a big market that is starving for a good goalie. Adversity is going to come if he has a rough game and has to bounce back, loses his starting role, or gets sent down to the AHL. How he responds to all of those things - in this town - are going to show his ability to deal with pressure and adversity. Because it is going to get harder for him once the adrenaline wears off, as you said, and once people get a chance to really scout him. That's when we'll see just how cool under pressure he really is.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying he isn't calm or collected, but he really has had a very easy on-ice transition to the NHL so far, and has won instant adoration from the organization and fans. Whenever this high wears off is when we'll find out what he really has. I suspect that what we're seeing really is the start of something better, but the odds are that it only gets tougher on him from here. There are always going to be growing pains.

Also, he does need to adjust his game more. His angles aren't perfect, he's not always sure where the pucks are going (he got caught not paying attention or just not reading the plays a few times), and he needs to settle his happy feet down and play a little bigger up high. But these are all normal things for a goalie in his situation to be dealing with.

One way or another, it's going to be a very fun year watching him. I'm way more excited than I've been about any other goaltender we've had in my lifetime.
One question....do you think he'll play "inconsistently...?" JK

All valid points but I'd rather be doubting Bob's game with all his potential to improve and willingness than Leighton's and Boosh's games....To me those two are the epitome of doubt no matter the experience. I do think Boosh is a better stopgap for a stretch of games when on his game but I'll take Bob's doubts due to inexperience and pressure and possible weakness up high as long as he makes the first save and controls his rebounds..the D can mitigate the rest IMO...if they live up to their price tag!

Old
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Hey,

I can't see the whole post game vid on the flyers tv - it cuts out after Bob speaks for the first time - anyone have a transcript of what he said?

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Bob just got compared to Leighton on the main board....main board people kill me.
You mean that he is equivalent to Leighton? Wow if that is the argument I don't want to go near that main board....

Old
rayearth

Quote:
Seriously. No way Bob could ever be that good.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
One question....do you think he'll play "inconsistently...?" JK

All valid points but I'd rather be doubting Bob's game with all his potential to improve and willingness than Leighton's and Boosh's games....To me those two are the epitome of doubt no matter the experience. I do think Boosh is a better stopgap for a stretch of games when on his game but I'll take Bob's doubts due to inexperience and pressure and possible weakness up high as long as he makes the first save and controls his rebounds..the D can mitigate the rest IMO...if they live up to their price tag!
Well, it depends on what your definition of consistency is.

Honestly, Bob staying here and starting depends on him continuing to play well. If he and Reese can rapidly adjust things and keep up to the speed of scouting and reinforce the issues with his game - and more importantly, he keeps winning - there's no way they'll stop using him. It's obvious that the team has confidence in him and he has plenty of confidence in himself for now, so he's not going anywhere unless people start getting to him.

We'll see how it goes, and I think it'll be a game by game kinda deal, but for now he's starting, and I'm pretty happy with that. But if stuff goes south, I expect he'll wind up back in the A to iron out the wrinkles for a while. As someone else noted, developing him properly is worth sacrificing a few points in the standings if we have to.

Old
10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Didnt see anyone post this yet:

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

THANK YOU! I wanted to use it as my avatar but I'll stick with the excited Bob vs the pensive Bob for now...

Old
10-08-2010, 03:25 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:

I just realized how much bigger the goalie equipment has become these days... look at the size of that glove vs his bare hand.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
I just realized how much bigger the goalie equipment has become these days... look at the size of that glove vs his bare hand.
They used to be bigger.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:30 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
They used to be bigger.
Very true. A non-NHL spec catcher is even worse.

Old
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
i am dave

Bob Clarke on NHL Power Play just now states his opinion that Bobrovsky looks to be with the big club to stay, and thinks one of the other two will be unloaded. I must emphasize that it was his opinion, not rumor spreading.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not sure if anyone suggested this, and I know I can't be the first to think of it, but how about Sideshow-Bob as a nickname for Bobrovsky?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not sure if anyone suggested this, and I know I can't be the first to think of it, but how about Sideshow-Bob as a nickname for Bobrovsky?
Hmmm....has promise, but Philly Phaithful already have the Sideshow Scott t-shirt for Hartnell. I'm not seeing the merhcandising possibilities here without overlap.

Bobocop ftw.

Old
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Bob Clarke on NHL Power Play just now states his opinion that Bobrovsky looks to be with the big club to stay, and thinks one of the other two will be unloaded. I must emphasize that it was his opinion, not rumor spreading.
Clarke said that? I missed it.

You're 100% positive?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Hmmm....has promise, but Philly Phaithful already have the Sideshow Scott t-shirt for Hartnell. I'm not seeing the merhcandising possibilities here without overlap.

Bobocop ftw.
I admire you're persistence. Keep beating that drum friend.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think Sideshow Bob works better for Bobrovsky. I'm gonna push it...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Full roster tonight (including Pronger) + Bobrovsky in the home opener.

This isn't necessarily Bob's test, but this is the team we want to see him behind.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Clarke said that? I missed it.

You're 100% positive?
I am 100% positive. He even referred to Boucher and Leighton as "the two other guys." It was before he ranted on Pittsburgh/Washington/Chicago being bottom dwellers for 4-5-6 years.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote