HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Any American university students? West Virginia University political science (pre-law track) here.

Old
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Salaries may be increasing but it will be offset by the fact civil engineering is the most common engineering. Man, everyone goes into it. My sister is a year away from becoming one, and all her friends are in it. Go figure. It's super common. There's always a need for them, but you got a LOT of competition for top paying jobs. Don't be surprised to be pushed aside by high profile civil engineers(either high GPA students/master degrees or just plain civil engineers with experience). You'll probably find yourself with a good salary but you'll end up comparable to other engineers in the end just the same.
No it's more like the fact that right now there is a total lack of civil engineer, right now every candidate at the end of their degrees have something like 3-4 offers. Also, if you look at numbers there is more mech. engineer in Quebec than Civil Engineer, but you are right right it's a very popular program, but remember that alot of peoples stop in enginneering. Also, I do think you are right about the fact that in the end salary will be comparable, but I was answering about the statement made that mech. engineer salaries are higher, maybe 5 years ago, but not right now.

Old
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Salaries may be increasing but it will be offset by the fact civil engineering is the most common engineering. Man, everyone goes into it. My sister is a year away from becoming one, and all her friends are in it. Go figure. It's super common. There's always a need for them, but you got a LOT of competition for top paying jobs. Don't be surprised to be pushed aside by high profile civil engineers(either high GPA students/master degrees or just plain civil engineers with experience). You'll probably find yourself with a good salary but you'll end up comparable to other engineers in the end just the same.
Actually Concordia had this "Industrial Experience" conference not too long ago.

Apparently Mechanical engineers are facing STIFF internal competition where apparently there is 1 job for every 7-8 students.

Whereas in the field of Computers (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc) there are 8-9 job per student.

I don't know if the number are accurate but that's kind of scary.

Old
10-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I'm happy to help if anyone has questions about Business at either Concordia or McGill.

I graduated from JMSB at Concordia a little over 2 years ago, and am now at McGill doing an MBA.

Last edited by Dan K: 10-08-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old
10-08-2010, 05:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Actually Concordia had this "Industrial Experience" conference not too long ago.

Apparently Mechanical engineers are facing STIFF internal competition where apparently there is 1 job for every 7-8 students.

Whereas in the field of Computers (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc) there are 8-9 job per student.

I don't know if the number are accurate but that's kind of scary.
Industrial experience is a co-op program, its very competitive. It has little to do with real engineering competition.

Old
10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

What you do after college - in what kind of industry, having what kind of expertise, and at what level - will have way more importance to your long-term income than if you go in civil engineering or mechanical engineering or elsewhere.

College is an investment, and just like any investment, the way its going to pay up only depends of you in the end.

Man I sound exactly like my father.

Old
10-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I'm happy to help if anyone has questions about Business at either Concordia or McGill.

I graduated from JMSB at Concordia a little over 2 years ago, and am now at McGill doing an MBA.
How much are you paying for the MBA tuition? Didn't they raise the fees not too long ago?

Old
10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
How much are you paying for the MBA tuition? Didn't they raise the fees not too long ago?
Way too much, and yes. But it's an investment.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
A classmate of mine really wants to switch to ETS. I don't know how good it is, but he said its more practical than theoretical. Any idea what pros and cons of it are(compared to traditional universities)? I'm not planning to switch, just curious.
hmm, I did applied science (sciences pures) in Cegep and I'm currently studying there...and almost done! It's a pretty nice and fun engineering school.

PRO

Never had any problems finding an internship, very good internship program.

They encourage you to use tools more often than not, rather than memory and hand. (Good or bad thing, I'd say it depends on the course).

Honestly fairly easy, though I did a full semester at the University of Victoria and in retrospective, it was easy too (a bit harder because it was in English and because of the way the workload was distributed over the semester - always having something to do and hand out...I'd say UVIC was more time consuming than hard - anyway).

CON

Not known outside of the province even though they do good in competition.

Not as practical as I hoped it would be since most students at the ETS already have a technical background with a lot of practical experience...

Last edited by HF-Addict: 10-08-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
hmm, I did applied science (sciences pures) in Cegep and I'm currently studying there...and almost done! It's a pretty nice and fun engineering school.

PRO

Never had any problems finding an internship, very good internship program.

They encourage you to use tools more often than not, rather than memory and hand. (Good or bad thing, I'd say it depends on the course).

Honestly fairly easy, though I did a full semester at the University of Victoria and in retrospective, it was easy too (a bit harder because it was in English and because of the way the workload was distributed over the semester - always having something to do and hand out...I'd say UVIC was more time consuming than hard - anyway).

CON

Not known outside of the province even though they do good in competition.

Not as practical as I hoped it would be since most students at the ETS already have a technical background with a lot of practical experience...
Mostly what I expected. I'm aware of competition thing, just I think a lot of it has to do with them doing a technical DEP rather than most university engineers students in QC doing a pre-university program. We have less hands on experience at first IMO. I only do my specific field engineering classes in my 3rd year. I do some math, physics, science and occasional class related to design or misc in my first 2 years. If I were to take part in a competition during my 3rd year I wouldn't have half the technical knowledge of a person at ETS however I heard you guys do our math(in 1st 2 years) in your 3rd or 4th years so you guys do a lot of technical stuff first and some math later? I don't know, it's opposite for us I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, I hate school, it's not for me, but I do it cuz I have to. I gotta study all weekend and all week for midterms, I hate it.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

Anyone know any good tutoring/crash tutoring places for math and engr classes?

Old
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
ClasslessGuy

Go for communication instead.....

Old
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
terreur

Hey, I have applied for a student loan (good old prêt et bourse) for the first time. I filled up my application at the end of september and I sent all the required documents on october 11th. I have not had any news from the mels and im starting to worry they have not received anything. When I got to their website it says that they are waiting for the papers to come in. I tried calling them and they told me that i had to go see the responsable at my school because the delay for them to answer was too long.

When I went at the university of sherbrooke they just told me to wait and that everything "should" be OK... the girl didn't seem to worry... anybody had to wait approximetly 3 weeks before their office receiving the documents???

Old
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Bieber fever

I'm currently at Mcgill (b.com ) and I might to move to Ontario this summer ( after my degree). My question is do you think buisness schools like Schulich , Rotman or Queen's are really better than Desautels ? I don't want to spend 40k if Mcgill offer the same level of education....

Old
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
I'm currently at Mcgill (b.com ) and I might to move to Ontario this summer ( after my degree). My question is do you think buisness schools like Schulich , Rotman or Queen's are really better than Desautels ? I don't want to spend 40k if Mcgill offer the same level of education....
Some would argue JMSB>Desautels. Either way, i'd say they're all about the same but i'm not doing commerce so can't really promise I'm right. I find it trivial to go out my way for a potential slight difference in quality. Perhaps I'm weird but I only find it important if you the gap is large or you're doing a masters/PhD and a more respected research/graduate program is available elsewhere.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Desautels is a great school, but I'm a little confused. Are you talking about for a Master's degree?

If yes, it is highly advisable to not do an MBA at the same place as your BComm. And also if yes, McGill is pretty much as expensive as any of the Ontario schools.

Unless you're a hardcore Finance guy, I'd stay away from Rotman. Expensive and not any better than other options. They just have exclusivity because of their stringent acceptance policy.

Schulich and Queen's are good schools that IMO are in the same category as JMSB and Desautels (though now having had both a JMSB and Desautels experience, I'm much more impressed by McGill - but maybe that has to do with Undergrad vs. MBA as well). If you're looking for the best business school in the country, IMO that's Ivey at UWO.

But ultimately, you can do very well at any of these schools. Apply yourself to your studies, get involved with things, use the career resource center, and all of the schools have great reputations to back you up.

One major advantage McGill has is the University name, which is known around the globe as a high caliber institution. So if you want to work outside of Canada, McGill has a big plus.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
The Biomed engineering program @ Ecole Polytehcnique (Montreal) looks very interesting! I was heading there this summer, un til I finally got accepted in medschool

But just like you, I loved biology, maths and chemistry and could deal with physics. Biomedical engineering is pretty much all of that

Old
11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Markov4Captain

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with a scienc fair project. My cousin who is in tenth grade is in need of a science fair idea. He has looked all over the internet, but needs help finding that special project, that is interesting but also simple, and not too hard to make or explain.

Any suggestions would b greatly appreciated.

Old
11-18-2010, 04:36 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with a scienc fair project. My cousin who is in tenth grade is in need of a science fair idea. He has looked all over the internet, but needs help finding that special project, that is interesting but also simple, and not too hard to make or explain.

Just any phenomenon to explain or does he have to build something (or do actual experiments)?

Old
11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Nidema

Edit: Time stamp read epic fail. Screw you LL!.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Is you cousin good with physics, most specifically, electromagnetics or at least of a concept of what it is?

Last edited by Nidema: 11-18-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Hey guys,

Do my grade 11 science Fair project? Does music affect heart rate? Play metal, classical and rock songs, see how people's blood pressure is, and stuff. We won our school's fair, and we won a bronze Medal at the Montreal science fair.

Old
11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Patccmoi

Didn't read through everything and I don't know if it was mentionned, but I think that synthetic biology (basically engineering living organisms, not like animals but bacterias and such for specific purposes) will become very big in a few years and few people are really into it yet, could be a good path if you like life science and engineering. I'm at MIT (just working, not student) and it seems like a pretty big thing here already. It might just be at the graduate level that you can take it as a program though, not too sure.

Good luck finding what you want!

Old
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Just any phenomenon to explain or does he have to build something (or do actual experiments)?
It just has to be a science experiment. It can't be a study, so explaining something would be more of a study than an experience. He doesn't want anything complicated. Just something easy to build, or an experiment that attracts attention.

Old
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
It just has to be a science experiment. It can't be a study, so explaining something would be more of a study than an experience. He doesn't want anything complicated. Just something easy to build, or an experiment that attracts attention.
Like some poster said, electromagnetics can be a good way to start. There are plenty of cool experiments that could be done in that field.

Or if he could bring a merry-go-round in class and try to explain the Coriolis force without confusing people it could be great

Old
11-18-2010, 06:11 PM
scottyG

School invention

Hi guys, I have to come up with an invention for school but i can't think of anything... I was wondering if anyone had an idea?

This has to be a cheap but efficient invention.. For example you can't say invent a time machine

I don't have to actually build it I just have to hand in a sketch.

Please mods don't move this thread right away

Closed Thread