HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

October 11 update: Leighton's back surgery went "very well." Out 6-8 Weeks

Old
10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
I think you can stick a fork in him, he's done.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:16 PM
CharlieGirl

Sure glad Homer rushed to sign him right before free agency.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
this is probably the end of his career. a good leighton is useless on any team with a lesser defense. a leighton with back problems is of no use to anyone.

poor guy.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:32 PM
CptCannon

Leighton Rathje'd? Where do I sign?!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @NHLFlyers: GM Paul Holmgren announced today that goaltender Michael Leighton will undergo back surgery on Mon., Oct. 11 and miss 6-8 weeks.

I knew it was two months minimum.
Cue in the NPH and Elmo gif

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't see how Parent or Emery come into it.

Homer said something about him hurting it working out 'in the summer' but didn't specify when. He told them about it and they all thought it would go away. Ask Cory Hodgson about weight training related injuries....
Probably when he was moving furniture into his new house.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
infidelappel*

I don't expect we'll see him in the starter's role this year unless everyone else implodes by the time he's healthy again (IF he gets healthy again.)

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Ugh. Wow.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
jb**

Shocking news. 8 weeks to recover, than he will spend another few weeks in the ahl on conditioning stint. It will eb longer than 8 imo, they will "find" more severe damge lol. What happened to he will be on the ice last thursday. Shooter, what a clown.

The most important thing is to make sure he is back to lead them in the playoffs. He will be fresh and ready to go. He will caryy the team on his back.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
What remains a mystery and I'm sure management would like it to remain as such is when did Leighton start to experience this back problem? If it surfaced before he signed and the Flyers didn't do their due diligence a la Freddie Garcia and the Phillies well then that would be a problem. If Leighton withheld the info that would be a problem too. I'm sure this falls somewhere down the middle but man if there was any inkling of this problem by management before he signed regardless...it wouldn't be cool given their experience with Parent and to an extent Emery...
The beat writers are reporting on twitter that Leighton says it has bothered him since the playoffs, but Holmgren said he was not aware of the issue until after Leighton was signed.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The beat writers are reporting on twitter that Leighton says it has bothered him since the playoffs, but Holmgren said he was not aware of the issue until after Leighton was signed.
You'd think the owners would want these contracts approved, subject to passing a physical...

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:17 PM
infidelappel*

Gotta love Holmgren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Holmgren
“We didn’t really know that much about it until he had an issue in the summertime, and we’re still not certain it was related to this,” Holmgren said. “It is what it is now. What’s cropped up here lately is the weakness in his legs. The doctors just want to get ahead of it, and they think this is the best way to deal with it right now. So that’s what we’re doing.”
"It is what it is" really is the new "what can you do?"

(from http://www.csnphilly.com/10/08/10/Le...509&feedID=704)

Old
10-08-2010, 06:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Gotta love Holmgren.

"It is what it is" really is the new "what can you do?"

(from http://www.csnphilly.com/10/08/10/Le...509&feedID=704)
so wait, Holmgren knew about this during the summer and STILL gave Leighton the contract he gave him? WOW. I am out of words.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You'd think the owners would want these contracts approved, subject to passing a physical...
Exactly..having good faith in what Leighton was telling them is pretty bad ....it's looking like a 1.5M "honest" mistake.....it is what it is my ass....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so wait, Holmgren knew about this during the summer and STILL gave Leighton the contract he gave him? WOW. I am out of words.
I dunno, it's hard to say when they really knew what the deal was, and what the extent of it all was.

Although, the way he's trying to make it sound like the back problems in the playoffs/over the summer are not necessarily related to the hernia (lol) just makes it sound like they knew and got burned again, so now they're deflecting.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So forget the bulge now he has a herniated disc.....and then this

Quote:
Leighton admitted Friday he’s had this injury since the playoffs, but didn’t tell the club about it until it flared up badly during the summer.

Quote:
What’s stunning, however, is that just as Ian Laperriere admitted recently he was not forthright with the Flyers about having concussion symptoms during the playoffs last season, Leighton also concealed a serious injury to the medical staff.
and they still gave him a effin contract without a physical no less! This is beyond incompetence......they are definitely deflecting. A 1.5M BURN on a cap strapped team....then we have the walking dead in Shelley and Walker. Thankfully there is Bob to take away some of the sting but even that isn't ideal b/c we have to speed up his development b/c there is no other real alternative...uggh!

Old
10-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Flyerfan4life

GODAMMIT, Leights sure makes it hard to be a fanboy..

first its only a week off, then its the rest of teh preseason, then it was a month...

now its looking like multi-months off, followed by who knows how long to recover and make a comeback..

i HATE to say it, but i think this might just be the end of his run as our goalie..

by the time hes able to come back im sure we will have replaced him...

GODAMMIT....

/sigh...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
SHOCKER! I said it would be much longer than a month. Add on the fact that we signed him to that deal and he didn't tell us about that injury makes Paul's negotiating skills look that much better. This is the exact same thing that Parent had last year, and it basically ruined his entire season. I can only hope the same happens to Leighton.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Doesn't he have to take a physical before the season?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
SHOCKER! I said it would be much longer than a month. Add on the fact that we signed him to that deal and he didn't tell us about that injury makes Paul's negotiating skills look that much better. This is the exact same thing that Parent had last year, and it basically ruined his entire season. I can only hope the same happens to Leighton.
Well, to be fair....if he DIDN'T tell us about the injury, it doesn't really reflect on Homer as much. Although the fact that players are signing contracts without physicals is still pretty crazy.

Also, I'm no doctor...but is a disk issue the kind of thing that shows up in a routine physical?

Old
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Well, to be fair....if he DIDN'T tell us about the injury, it doesn't really reflect on Homer as much. Although the fact that players are signing contracts without physicals is still pretty crazy.

Also, I'm no doctor...but is a disk issue the kind of thing that shows up in a routine physical?
Nope not in a routine physical.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:04 PM
wckdclw

I mean honestly you guys are pretty harsh on a goalie who last season brought us back into the playoff picture after the Emery injury and Boucher inconsistencies then took us almost all the way through the playoffs to the cup finals. Most of you were also praising him with the shutouts he had in the playoffs as well. Hopefully he gets better. Im pretty excited about Bobrovsky but obviousally its 1 regular season game and a few preseason games but he looks promising so a healthy Leighton will be a very good backup for Bobrovsky as long as (fingers crossed) Bobrovsky keeps doing what hes been doing and our goalies stay somewhat healthy this year.(even though an existing injury already taking out a goalie for atleast 8 weeks isnt a good start.)

wckdclw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 08:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

No matter what this was a lousy business transaction on so many levels.....Leighton is at fault, mgmt is as fault..it's just one big cluster#$K situation.....

Due diligence was tantamount given our history with goaltending (Emery) and Parent's case.....

Again..the whole signing was ill advised and ultimately the bad idea manifested itself as the bad idea it always was....

Having said this...Holmgren might have another get out of jail free card in Bob and he owes Boosh better as well considering he bailed him out like AIG in the last game of the season....

Anyway, let's GO BOB...and Phils..nice comeback!

Old
10-08-2010, 08:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wckdclw View Post
I mean honestly you guys are pretty harsh on a goalie who last season brought us back into the playoff picture after the Emery injury and Boucher inconsistencies then took us almost all the way through the playoffs to the cup finals. Most of you were also praising him with the shutouts he had in the playoffs as well. Hopefully he gets better. Im pretty excited about Bobrovsky but obviousally its 1 regular season game and a few preseason games but he looks promising so a healthy Leighton will be a very good backup for Bobrovsky as long as (fingers crossed) Bobrovsky keeps doing what hes been doing and our goalies stay somewhat healthy this year.(even though an existing injury already taking out a goalie for atleast 8 weeks isnt a good start.)
Harsh? I'm sorry but he needed to be more professional and think about the team by being more forthcoming with his injury. I question his character...in addition to his health now and his capabilities. Just spinal tap the dude and let's move on.....a 1.5M screwup for a couple of years....cool