HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers/NHL Preview

Old
10-09-2010, 03:51 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Bingo.

The Devils don't have an ungodly top 9 by any means. They have a really solid first line, no question about it. The second line would have been really awesome 3 or 4 years ago, but now its pretty much a question mark. Are 3 guys at that age going to be able to play 82 games? Who is going to fill in for them if/when they can't? Finally, they have a very, very average 3rd line. Clarkson's career high is 32 points and he's 26. Zubrus hasn't topped 40 points since 2006 - 2007 and Rolston is a 37 y/o who has put up beastly numbers in the past, but not since coming back to jersey. At that age I have to believe his best days are behind him. Points aren't everything, but I'm not sure they have the wheels to play the checking game anymore either. They're all "household names" if you know hockey more than the average person, but that doesn't mean that they're going to be a great line.

I'm very skeptical of the expectations that the Devils are getting this season. Too much faith is being put in players that are too old.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying NYR are better off for this season than the Devils are. I'm just thinking about the Devils out loud, not comparing them to the Rangers in any way. NYR has its own slew of problems.
Which is good to point out. The Rangers have their own issues as well. My critique of the Devils isn't meant to be specific about any single player (with the exception of Rolston) but what's endemic in their approach to this particular season--not necessarily what it will be say next year when you'd expect Tedenby and Josefson to be coming on board. It's one thing to have a sprinkling of good veterans mid to late 20's and maybe 3-5 in their 30's--it's another thing to have almost half your team in their 30's--some in their late 30's and no extras to fall back on because economically you're pressed to the cap ceiling just having the minimum number of players. And it's as if they're relying on every single one of these older players to be a key component of their team while many of the youngest Henrique, PLL, possibly their bottom pairing d-men will have minimal roles.

Maybe it will work. Who knows. But from my vantage point at the beginning of this season it looks like a souffle that will bake in the oven and look nice for a while but not rise when it needs to. Then again I'm prejudiced. I hate the Devils.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:34 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Maybe it will work. Who knows. But from my vantage point at the beginning of this season it looks like a souffle that will bake in the oven and look nice for a while but not rise when it needs to. Then again I'm prejudiced. I hate the Devils.
I agree.

The vet stacking tactic is vintage late 90's Rangers, except confined by the reality of the salary cap. The team looks like an "ownership" lineup, not like a LL lineup.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:15 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Nice efforts by the keystone cops Devils blue-line. Dallas and Washington pinned them in their end. Greene and Tallinder were the biggest culprits in the Stars game and they're supposed to be the veteran experienced guys back there. Frasor is a joke. Turnover machine. Makes a good first pass to the opposing players. Keep thinking things will improve by themselves. Kenny Daneyko picked them to the reach the Finals. What's he drinking?

Compare their D with other teams in the east.

After their big line,5 of their 6 forwards are over 30. Most of them are in their mid 30's except for Zubrus(32)and Clarkson.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote