HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2010, 06:57 PM
panthersfan751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I actually think its part of his plan though. He's said that he was starting at a better point in the building process than Chicago. And it only took 2 yrs before he was dipping into the free agent market IIRC (Campbell, right?). Its possible that if you cut a yr off that timeframe that he could be dipping into free agency next offseason.

But the guy that I think makes the most sense as a targeted player is David Backes right now. We're still weak on the RW and his size and style seem to be a perfect fit with the Tallon blueprint. Hopefully he could be signed for something like Weiss type money ($3.25M for 4 yrs sounds good to me) which wouldnt break the bank at all.
This is basically what I think as well. Obviously I don't want Tallon to do what he did in Chicago and make a bunch of big signings that take up all our cap space (Campbell, Huet, etc.), but I think we need one impact FA. Someone like Backes would be a very good addition.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Acadmus

Atlanta has the worst luck with goalies, I swear.

Andrei Pavelec was taken off the ice on a stretcher after collapsing while play was on the opposite end of the ice. Looks like he tried to signal to the bench and then he just went down like his strings were cut. Scary - still no word on what happened, but hopefully just dehydration, because otherwise it suggests something like an aneurysm or stroke, unless he's got narcolepsy.

Okay, I shouldn't speculate...but it looked really bad - he was completely unresponsive from what I saw, even after 10 minutes. No movement at all.

10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Boooooth10

That's just scary. I'm hoping he's okay.

Found a video

Old
10-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Yeah, I don't think we're going to sign any big names next summer. I don't really foresee a sharp budget increase like that so soon. As has been said, at the draft is where we're going to get our big names for the next couple years.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Atlanta has the worst luck with goalies, I swear.

Andrei Pavelec was taken off the ice on a stretcher after collapsing while play was on the opposite end of the ice. Looks like he tried to signal to the bench and then he just went down like his strings were cut. Scary - still no word on what happened, but hopefully just dehydration, because otherwise it suggests something like an aneurysm or stroke, unless he's got narcolepsy.

Okay, I shouldn't speculate...but it looked really bad - he was completely unresponsive from what I saw, even after 10 minutes. No movement at all.
It could be something like what happened to Jiri Fischer a few years back. It looked pretty similar. I don't remember what that was, I think it was like an aneurysm. This could be a heart problem too, like what happened with Cherepanov.

Old
10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
While I would love to snag top-flight 1C, I just think Tallon is going to go the organic route and keep drafting/developing/augmenting the lineup. Plus, we have several RFAs coming due namely: Frolik, Matthias, Ellerby, Salak, Cheverie, McArdle, Repik, and to a lesser extent Plante, Bernier, Santorelli, Duco and Cheverie. A considerable amount of players to evaluate.
Yeah, plus Kulikov in 2 years, and I think he's going to get a hefty raise. Plus add in Gud's contract next year which will be at least a couple million, and potentially a top 3 pick next year which would be a few million. If the budget is not going up for awhile, then you have to watch what you spend.

Old
10-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
It could be something like what happened to Jiri Fischer a few years back. It looked pretty similar. I don't remember what that was, I think it was like an aneurysm. This could be a heart problem too, like what happened with Cherepanov.
Fischer was the first incident I thought of when Beezer sent me a text that Pavelec went down. Thought that was cause he had a hole in his heart, though. Man, hope he's OK, he's so young.

10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Fischer was the first incident I thought of when Beezer sent me a text that Pavelec went down. Thought that was cause he had a hole in his heart, though. Man, hope he's OK, he's so young.
I honestly don't remember what the deal with Fischer was.

Old
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Holy Jokinen

TSN has a report that his vital signs are now normal. So that's great news and rules out a heart attack or anything too crazy like that, assuming the report is true.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336749

Old
10-08-2010, 10:20 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Yeah, plus Kulikov in 2 years, and I think he's going to get a hefty raise. Plus add in Gud's contract next year which will be at least a couple million, and potentially a top 3 pick next year which would be a few million. If the budget is not going up for awhile, then you have to watch what you spend.
I know that our RFA's will need raises and we'll need to budget potentially for a high pick, but what about all the vets we could potentially get rid of?

We obviously won't lose them all, but Vokoun, Stillman, McCabe, Reinprecht, and Olesz could all potentially be gone. That has to free up a lot of money going forward, right?

Old
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
I know that our RFA's will need raises and we'll need to budget potentially for a high pick, but what about all the vets we could potentially get rid of?

We obviously won't lose them all, but Vokoun, Stillman, McCabe, Reinprecht, and Olesz could all potentially be gone. That has to free up a lot of money going forward, right?
I think the cap space for next summer is going to be ~$35M. Which sounds like a ton but if you factor in all of the raises due to the RFAs, its obviously not as significant.

I do agree with the assessment made above on Backes as to his fit with FLA(hell he'd fit with any team in the NHL) but if he was going to get that amount and term(3.25/4 years), I believe Doug Armstrong would've already have him signed/sealed/delivered.

Old
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

It's a lot, but like TimH said when you factor in raises for guys like Frolik, Santorelli if he has a good year, and all the other young talent we will have to give money to either next summer or in the near future, it's really not that much space we have left, if our budget stays around the same. When you crunch the numbers, there really isn't any room for a big name forward to be brought in here. And that's with Vokoun gone and Marky/Clemmer only taking up approx. 2M. Now, I'm assuming we will be getting a top 3 pick and therefore a 3M+ contract. That may not be the case, but if it is, the priority is definitely getting that pick signed and brought in ASAP and not some older forward from outside the org.

I'm assuming Vokoun, Caber, Stillman, Dvo, and Olesz(bought out) will all be gone. That's my best guess at prognosticating. If Reino goes too, that's another 2M gone, but that ain't really much. I guess you could upgrade from a mid-tier 2nd liner to a fringe 1st liner with that extra dough, but you're most likely not going to get a star to come here with that, not in free agency.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:03 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
almost certainly heart-related; he was probably getting light-headed, seeing stars and realizing he was in trouble (lack of blood flow to the brain) just before it happened and that's what he was signaling to the bench about. however, nothing about the circumstances would suggest a vasovagal episode, including the fact he didn't regain consciousness when he fell down. that would be the most benign explanation though so we can hope...

Old
10-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
I think the cap space for next summer is going to be ~$35M. Which sounds like a ton but if you factor in all of the raises due to the RFAs, its obviously not as significant.

I do agree with the assessment made above on Backes as to his fit with FLA(hell he'd fit with any team in the NHL) but if he was going to get that amount and term(3.25/4 years), I believe Doug Armstrong would've already have him signed/sealed/delivered.
Cap space doesnt really matter as much for FL as internal salary budget (what they actually pay out). My best guess right now is as MR said, the numbers doesnt rise in total salary but it would appear to me like there could be $25M to spend next summer.

Things to consider with Backes and whether or not he should've already re-signed with the Blues:
1. Coming off a drop in goal scoring from 31 to 17 so he'll want to increase his value by proving he can return to the 20+ goal plateau
2. He's currently behind Boyes and Oshie on the RW of the Blues and he may want more opportunities to play in a top 6 role on another team
3. The Blues will have to re-sign Oshie and Berglund as well next summer which will take potential money away from signing Backes
4. I believe the Blues also have an internal budget so Armstrong may not be able to re-sign these guys just yet.

Regardless, I'd be willing to go higher next summer for Backes depending on how he does this yr. Maybe a deal similar to what Patrick Sharp got with Chicago ($3.9M avg cap hit for 4 yrs)
Quote:
It's a lot, but like TimH said when you factor in raises for guys like Frolik, Santorelli if he has a good year, and all the other young talent we will have to give money to either next summer or in the near future, it's really not that much space we have left, if our budget stays around the same. When you crunch the numbers, there really isn't any room for a big name forward to be brought in here. And that's with Vokoun gone and Marky/Clemmer only taking up approx. 2M. Now, I'm assuming we will be getting a top 3 pick and therefore a 3M+ contract. That may not be the case, but if it is, the priority is definitely getting that pick signed and brought in ASAP and not some older forward from outside the org.

I'm assuming Vokoun, Caber, Stillman, Dvo, and Olesz(bought out) will all be gone. That's my best guess at prognosticating. If Reino goes too, that's another 2M gone, but that ain't really much. I guess you could upgrade from a mid-tier 2nd liner to a fringe 1st liner with that extra dough, but you're most likely not going to get a star to come here with that, not in free agency.
Frolik is really the main one to worry about in terms of a bigger contract after this yr. He's scored 20+ goals every yr so far and thats going to net him a decent payday. But the other guys still need to prove a lot before they get big deals. I would expect modest raises for Matthias and Santorelli which probably could total only an extra $1.5M more in salary between the 2. But I agree that there wont probably be a 1st line/top d-man brought in via free agency.

Dont forget that Bernier is a RFA next summer too so who knows if he's retained (I would trade or let him go at this point). If Higgins does produce, I'm sure they'd want to re-sign him to a contract also (I'm expecting him to be re-signed to a contract under $3M per yr even if he returns to form). Still there should be money to re-sign everyone and still bring in a player that would be of a similar contract to Stillman.

I'm less worried about Kulikov and re-signing him after looking and seeing that both Allen's & Wideman's contracts expire at the same time as Kulikov. Plus now that means Gudbranson wont be hitting his 2nd contract for at least 2 yrs after that too.

And hey thats based on the internal budget not rising. If the team wins and makes it to the playoffs, I'm pretty sure that Tallon will be given a little more leash to sign bigger contracts once that happens.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Frolik is really the main one to worry about in terms of a bigger contract after this yr. He's scored 20+ goals every yr so far and thats going to net him a decent payday. But the other guys still need to prove a lot before they get big deals. I would expect modest raises for Matthias and Santorelli which probably could total only an extra $1.5M more in salary between the 2. But I agree that there wont probably be a 1st line/top d-man brought in via free agency.
Yeah, if Frolik gets around 60 pts. this summer, I can see him getting around 4M/per. I'm expecting a big raise for him, and I'm hoping for it, because if he doesn't get it that means he didn't have a good year. It would fall in line with Booth's contract, he only had one year at 60 pts. and he got 4.25M for 6 years. Matthias and Santorelli, it depends on the year they have. I can see a contract for each of them as high as around 2M, which is a lot after only one year of proving yourself. But maybe a more modest projection would be for around a 1.5-1.75M contract.

Quote:
Dont forget that Bernier is a RFA next summer too so who knows if he's retained (I would trade or let him go at this point). If Higgins does produce, I'm sure they'd want to re-sign him to a contract also (I'm expecting him to be re-signed to a contract under $3M per yr even if he returns to form). Still there should be money to re-sign everyone and still bring in a player that would be of a similar contract to Stillman.
If Bernier has a decent year, I think they retain him. He's a big phsyical body up front and a prescence in front of the net, something which this team really lacks. He'd probably be cheap to retain, so I'm penciling him in. I don't think they cut him loose unless he really bombs. I agree about Higgins. I agree you could get the extra player for about 3M, but the question is is it worth taking the spot away from a young guy, and will the production from the vet really be that much better than from the prospect? If we had 5M to spend, then I'd maybe go for vet, but not with the way things stand for us. The way I see it for 2011-12 is(not perfect but reasonable):

Booth-Weiss-Frolik
4.5M-4-3.75

Higgins-Couturier/RNH-Santo
3-3.5-1.75

Dadonov-Matthias-Repik
0.875-1.4-0.972

McArdle-Reino-Bernier
0.924-2.175-2.2

Hordichuk-0.850

Kulikov-Wideman
1.325-4.5

Allen-Gudbranson
3.15-3.2

Garrison-Weaver
0.7-0.9

Ellerby-0.9

Markstrom-1.3
Clemmer-1.5

Total= 47.37

Is it really worth replacing Repik or Dadonov in the lineup? Who are you going to get for 3M in free agency? Another Higgins type? 40-50 pts. maybe? Those are the questions that need to be asked. Also, if we miss the playoffs again who says our budget won't drop again, and will we even have around 50M to spend.

Quote:
I'm less worried about Kulikov and re-signing him after looking and seeing that both Allen's & Wideman's contracts expire at the same time as Kulikov. Plus now that means Gudbranson wont be hitting his 2nd contract for at least 2 yrs after that too.
Yeah Allen's and Wideman's come off, but then a year after that Weiss is going to be due for a big raise too. So you have to keep that kinda thing in mind every year. It depends on how they want to build the team and who they want to keep/let go, but if this new forward they could bring in is only going to be a stopgap, then it might be better just to sign a mediocre guy, or as I said, not sign one at all.

Quote:
And hey thats based on the internal budget not rising. If the team wins and makes it to the playoffs, I'm pretty sure that Tallon will be given a little more leash to sign bigger contracts once that happens.
True, eventually the budget might rise if we have success. But I don't think that will be next summer though. But as for wiggle room in the future, yeah I agree, that would give us some. But I'd still go about free agency a little cautiously for the next few years even if that happens. With all these young players, you are expecting and hoping for success, and naturally with that comes pay raises, these younsters are going from nothing in some case up to big paydays(hopefully). Again, it depends on how they shape the team going forward, but I think Tallon(and he's consistently indicated this)wants to build this thing for the most part from within.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Anyone else see Big Mac knock out Ivanans Thursday??

Old
10-09-2010, 10:09 AM
RainingRats

Anyone see the Carolina game yesterday? Jeff Skinner looked great. That was a very nice pick by the canes. He reminds me of a Parise/Crosby hybrid.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Anyone else see Big Mac knock out Ivanans Thursday??

Mac is such a beast. Best fighter in the league, imo.

Old
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
A we-heard-that-comment-all-too-often moment during the Phx-Bos game currently playing:

11 minutes into the game, and this is the first time we have said Nathan Horton's name He has been mostly invisible so far, even with having a couple of SOG.

Old
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Anyone see the Carolina game yesterday? Jeff Skinner looked great. That was a very nice pick by the canes. He reminds me of a Parise/Crosby hybrid.
Yeah I watched it. Skinner is fire! He showed some really promising moves out there.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:09 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Well, Nate scored the only goal for the Bruins so far. Nice wrister.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:09 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

And now Soupy with the scrap. Miss him more than Nate.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:20 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Make that 2 for Nate.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:23 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
A we-heard-that-comment-all-too-often moment during the Phx-Bos game currently playing:

11 minutes into the game, and this is the first time we have said Nathan Horton's name He has been mostly invisible so far, even with having a couple of SOG.
that's what snipers do. i love this - everyone *****es and moans about him being invisible. now, when he gets a little room, he shows you what he can do. he's not a banger. just a fundamental misconception.

Old
10-09-2010, 02:03 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I miss Nathan already, we could really have use for him. I didn't care about his attitude, he was a very good hockey player.

Atleast he lost.

Closed Thread