HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers deal Paestch to Canucks for Sean Zimmerman

Old
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake View Post
Everyone pretty much needs to quit arguing with Sabrefan.... I think hes proven time and time again that he knows more about the AHL and the Amerks than everyone else combined.
nice try. clearly he more familiar with the amerks but there are several posters that follow the league and club closely as well and who don't engage in the histrionics he does. the other poster here who follows the org (more closely), keithLGA, has stated unequivocally that he feels FL is a solid partner moving forward. that was a month or so ago and some things have changed but i doubt he's changed his tune.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
nice try. clearly he more familiar with the amerks but there are several posters that follow the league and club closely as well and who don't engage in the histrionics he does. the other poster here who follows the org (more closely), keithLGA, has stated unequivocally that he feels FL is a solid partner moving forward. that was a month or so ago and some things have changed but i doubt he's changed his tune.
Myself and Keith pretty much agree on most things. Or at least I think we do. He can chime in if he wants.

As for the Amerks, I always have a good grasp on how the team will do. At least the last 5 years or so I've nailed how the team will be. Not "tooting my horn" but that's just the truth. This years team, I'l call a .500 team. Good goaltending, potentially good defense but an awful group of forwards. Absolutely no depth at forward. The Amerks have about 4 or 5 forwards that don't belong in the AHL. Simple as that.

Repik and Dadonov were not players the Amerks could count on to score last year. They were inconsistent and disappeared for long stretches. Part of being young. That's fine. But you do not leave your team counting on players like that. That is why teams like Hershey are good every single year. The have veterans who will score those goals, and they allow the prospects to be complimentary players, and if they surpass the vets, even better. Counting on Repik and Dadonov to be our top scorers is a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention, when they inevitably get called up, there's no one left to put the puck in the net.

Santos did a very poor job of assembling the forwards.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:10 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Myself and Keith pretty much agree on most things. Or at least I think we do. He can chime in if he wants.

As for the Amerks, I always have a good grasp on how the team will do. At least the last 5 years or so I've nailed how the team will be. Not "tooting my horn" but that's just the truth. This years team, I'l call a .500 team. Good goaltending, potentially good defense but an awful group of forwards. Absolutely no depth at forward. The Amerks have about 4 or 5 forwards that don't belong in the AHL. Simple as that.

Repik and Dadonov were not players the Amerks could count on to score last year. They were inconsistent and disappeared for long stretches. Part of being young. That's fine. But you do not leave your team counting on players like that. That is why teams like Hershey are good every single year. The have veterans who will score those goals, and they allow the prospects to be complimentary players, and if they surpass the vets, even better. Counting on Repik and Dadonov to be our top scorers is a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention, when they inevitably get called up, there's no one left to put the puck in the net.

no histrionics there. whadaya know?

you can be critical, just back it up and then we can debate the facts. this kinda crap

Quote:
It'll be a mediocre team. And the Amerks will have no choice but to move on.
is silly.

Old
10-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Erick

To sabrefan's lover on this thread...

If you're going to talk, at least get your facts straight. sabrefan was only half right about Grabner. Apparently, he was right on the Panthers being dumb. Congrats to sabrefan; I should've seen it myself, as I've been a fan of the team for a long time.

Fact remains that sabrefan thought he'd clear waivers, while everyone else was saying some other team would pick him up if the Panthers were dumb enough to let Grabner go.

The Islanders picked Grabner up.

sabrefan's a genius.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:59 AM
flapanthersfan

why does every single thread turn into an amerks/panthers bashing thread?

sabrefan is starting to reach troll territory in my eyes.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post

On the first bolded statment, I'm curious who you think are those 4-5 forwards. I'm sure you have a case for the 2 recent PTO guys (Reynolds & Clackson) but who else? Cause you also have probably 3-4 guys that could be in the NHL right now too.

Which leads to the 2nd bolded statement about having vets...didnt they do that by brinigng in Thomas, Taylor and Nylander? It just sounds hypocritical to say that they're not bringing in vets when in fact they did. And its not like Repik is some rookie prospect anymore...he's going on his 3rd yr, he should be counted on to score and not be just some complimentary guy. Dadonov also can and should be counted on to improve from his rookie yr last season. He's got the talent and has shown glimpses that he can be a scorer at the NHL level. He should be putting it together in his 2nd yr IMO, also not some complimentary guy.

Which brings me to the last statement I bolded in that while previously the call ups were commonplace, I dont think that will happen as much this yr. The NHL team now has a lot of depth at all 3 forward positions. It would require several long term injuries before those 2 guys get called up. They currently have 14 healthy forwards (now that Reasoner has returned) and 1 injured one (Bitz) which means they shouldnt need to recall anyone for quite a while. The only time I could see the recalls happen is possibly around the trade deadline if several forwards are traded.

BTW, you were the one that said that the NHL team wouldnt carry 14 forwards...right now they are doing just that. When Bitz eventually returns, I'm sure that McArdle will get sent down which will help your lack of forward depth in Rochester. He's a guy that should be scoring too in the AHL and never has been able to but thats a separate discussion.

Back to the topic at hand with Zimmerman coming to the Amerks, I saw that he had a concussion previously so he hasnt been cleared yet to play. I assume that means Ellerby stays in Rochester until Zimmerman is back on the ice. Still there's a lot of good depth on defense in Rochester that will be counted on to keep them in games.

Tallon's blueprint has always been to build up the middle with goalies and big defensemen addressed first and then centers. I'm assuming that same blueprint is being applied to Rochester as they now have the goalie and d-men in place with another center being the need right now. But give them some time to evaluate things, a new coach in Rochester and several new players means it wont be something quick to see. Adding another new player doesnt guarantee that the team will be better either.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 07:45 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

I personally dont give a damn about the amerks and dont know that having them is worth the headache of all their whining.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:22 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
I personally dont give a damn about the amerks and dont know that having them is worth the headache of all their whining.
an enlightened perspective

Old
10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
On the first bolded statment, I'm curious who you think are those 4-5 forwards. I'm sure you have a case for the 2 recent PTO guys (Reynolds & Clackson) but who else? Cause you also have probably 3-4 guys that could be in the NHL right now too.
Clackson, Reynolds, DeLory, Selleck and Calla. 5 guys who do not belong in the league. That's my opinion based on what I've seen.

Quote:
Which leads to the 2nd bolded statement about having vets...didnt they do that by brinigng in Thomas, Taylor and Nylander? It just sounds hypocritical to say that they're not bringing in vets when in fact they did. And its not like Repik is some rookie prospect anymore...he's going on his 3rd yr, he should be counted on to score and not be just some complimentary guy. Dadonov also can and should be counted on to improve from his rookie yr last season. He's got the talent and has shown glimpses that he can be a scorer at the NHL level. He should be putting it together in his 2nd yr IMO, also not some complimentary guy.
Thomas is not a "scorer". One season of 20+ goals doesn't quite cut it. He's a good player from what I've seen, but not someone you count on to score goals. He's ideally a perfect 3rd line player. But nope, he has to be forced to change positions to center because the team lacks so much forward depth. So now he's the second line center, a position he does not belong in. The Amerks have no experienced wingers to count on to score 20-30 goals. We had that in Mink, but Florida decided to trade him for a guy that the Amerks couldn't get to the ECHL fast enough. Mink, of course, opened the season with a hat trick last night.

Quote:
Which brings me to the last statement I bolded in that while previously the call ups were commonplace, I dont think that will happen as much this yr. The NHL team now has a lot of depth at all 3 forward positions. It would require several long term injuries before those 2 guys get called up. They currently have 14 healthy forwards (now that Reasoner has returned) and 1 injured one (Bitz) which means they shouldnt need to recall anyone for quite a while. The only time I could see the recalls happen is possibly around the trade deadline if several forwards are traded.
It may not happen as much, but it will happen. Repik and Dadonov will see time in Florida and it'll leave Rochester with no skill left in the lineup. You can't have a team full of grinders.

Quote:
BTW, you were the one that said that the NHL team wouldnt carry 14 forwards...right now they are doing just that. When Bitz eventually returns, I'm sure that McArdle will get sent down which will help your lack of forward depth in Rochester. He's a guy that should be scoring too in the AHL and never has been able to but thats a separate discussion.
McArdle doesn't address that lack of scoring or talent.

Quote:
Tallon's blueprint has always been to build up the middle with goalies and big defensemen addressed first and then centers. I'm assuming that same blueprint is being applied to Rochester as they now have the goalie and d-men in place with another center being the need right now. But give them some time to evaluate things, a new coach in Rochester and several new players means it wont be something quick to see. Adding another new player doesnt guarantee that the team will be better either.
I'll give them time. Nothing has to be done today. I'd rather have a team stronger in the second half. But it's obvious the team needs a couple skilled forwards. That needs to happen. Even the coach of the Amerks says scoring goals will probably be an issue. They built a deep defense, but seemed to neglect the forwards.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote