HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller to play on 4th line with Lappy and Halpern

Old
10-09-2010, 09:05 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Guys, chill. Halpern, Lapierre and Eller is the 3rd line. With Camm back there's nowhere else for him to start right now. If Pouliot doesn't pick it up, I'm sure Eller will get a few shifts with GG. Just because he's playing with Halpern doesn't mean this is the 4th line. Moen, Boyd and Pyatt are on the 4th.
I don't see a 4th line, really. More like 1a & 1b and 3a & 3b. I think ice-time will be similar between the pairs.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Habs13

And cue breaking another prospect's spirits in 3... 2... 1...

Honestly, what the hell is that? He was the best forward for the Habs one opening day. Had good chances, hit, played a two-way goal... I really wanted that on-the-knees spin-o-rama to go in! What a goal that would have been!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Bullsmith

After 20 years of waiting for a big center, we gamble Halak on a guy who just may be one. And then convert him to wing.

Frankly, I think it's fine to play him various places to start the season, but the guy needs to settle into a role to have any chance of success, and I don't understand why would give up on him as a center so soon. This is a guy we just traded for. If he's going to play on the wing on a bottom 6 line for more than a few games, then send him the F down and bring White up.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I think people put too much into this... Lines are a starting point and they change as the match progresses. If Pouliot does not perform, Eller will be back with Gionta and Gomez. He will most likely see a lot of power play time too.. Why would anyone look at the lines as a testament to how appreciated a player is within the organization and how he will play? There is way more than line combinations to that...

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
I think people put too much into this... Lines are a starting point and they change as the match progresses. If Pouliot does not perform, Eller will be back with Gionta and Gomez. He will most likely see a lot of power play time too.. Why would anyone look at the lines as a testament to how appreciated a player is within the organization and how he will play? There is way more than line combinations to that...
Based Pouliot's outright refusal to finish checks that were simply sitting there in front of him, he may not last many more games on a top 6 line. Many more periods, either. You're right, Eller could be in his slot by the second period.

But still, I'd like to see us developing the guy as a center, be it on the first, fourth or in the AHL. If it weren't for that concern I wouldn't pay any attention to the starting line combos at all, not in his rookie season.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I realise Eller is a bit unproven and Pyatt is in his sophomore season... but doesn't our bottom 6 just look fantastic? I think we can go toe-to-toe with any bottom 6 in the league and play as well or outplay them. Sure we don't have a lot of crashers & bangers but they can all skate and guys like Eller and Boyd are capable of generating offense.

Our bottom 6 will help us win games this year, something that it couldn't do last year (other then Metro on the PP)

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
After 20 years of waiting for a big center, we gamble Halak on a guy who just may be one. And then convert him to wing.

Frankly, I think it's fine to play him various places to start the season, but the guy needs to settle into a role to have any chance of success, and I don't understand why would give up on him as a center so soon. This is a guy we just traded for. If he's going to play on the wing on a bottom 6 line for more than a few games, then send him the F down and bring White up.
I couldn't agree more.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
tinyzombies

Put Eller in the top 6 and leave him there. He's played well. Smartest guy on the ice last night along with PK.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
kernkraft

Why not

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Boyd-Eller-Lapierre
Moen-Halpern-Darche/Pyatt (White should really be the player there)

Three scoring lines and a grinding trio. In any case, forward depth is not the issue on this team, it's the D.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:12 AM
tinyzombies

I don't mind Eller with Halpern. As Muller says, Eller is basically a natural center, but a give-and-go guy when shifted to the wing. That works well with a guy like Halpern who can finish and make a quick little play. Not sure what Lapierre brings to that line though. Speed and no brains. Dump him to the fourth line and find these two another winger (Boyd?), then reunite Moen-Pyatt-Lappy.

It's a process tho, obviously. They're trying to learn about combos.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Why is Carbo back?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
I realise Eller is a bit unproven and Pyatt is in his sophomore season... but doesn't our bottom 6 just look fantastic? I think we can go toe-to-toe with any bottom 6 in the league and play as well or outplay them. Sure we don't have a lot of crashers & bangers but they can all skate and guys like Eller and Boyd are capable of generating offense.

Our bottom 6 will help us win games this year, something that it couldn't do last year (other then Metro on the PP)
Our bottom 6 needs one more big, tough grinder. See Ryan White.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:37 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
I thought he played a pretty good game against the Leafs, despite being a -2.

I have to say I sometimes wonder about the Habs handling of their players...play decent get demoted, play crappy get promoted.....
Pouliot should be the one playing on a third line with Halpern and Lapierre or Boyd and Lapierre.

But Eller, at center makes more sense too.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:44 AM
zx81

As long as they don't get 4th line ice time I guess it's ok.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He'll be up before you know it.

Either because of injury or because Pouliot will continue to choke and Eller (IMO) will take his spot.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
NLHabsFan

I would like to see Eller centering Boyd. Martin likes pairings, Gomez - Gionta & Plekanec - Cammalleri. I would like to see what those two could do. Both are fast and skilled, and they wouldn't be playing against the same competition as the other two pairings. This could be Boyd's chance to prove that he deserves a shot on the top 2 lines as a winger if Pouliot or Kostitsyn go in a slump.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:06 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I look forward to him playing with the Habs too, he brings a different element and energy to the forward group.
But he plays big, he is not really big.

Old
10-09-2010, 12:14 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I would like to see Eller centering Boyd. Martin likes pairings, Gomez - Gionta & Plekanec - Cammalleri. I would like to see what those two could do. Both are fast and skilled, and they wouldn't be playing against the same competition as the other two pairings. This could be Boyd's chance to prove that he deserves a shot on the top 2 lines as a winger if Pouliot or Kostitsyn go in a slump.
you need to keep AK46 in the top 6 just b/c he has that talent, sure he is invisible some games but when he's on HE'S ON. Now i know that Pouls has chemistry with GG but i just don't see him as a top 6 forward. He could be the sniper that Eller needs, in fact im agreeing with you about Boyd and put TWO snipers with Eller. Now i know Laps is not an ideal top 6 but i think that Gomez and Gionta are good enough together they don't need a top scorer or passer on their line, more of a grinder or s**t disturber. i would like to see at some point

Camm - Plek - AK46
Gionta - Gomez - Laps/White
Pouls - Eller - Boyd
Moen - Halpern - Laps/White/Pyatt

then you can give GG someone like Camm on the PP and even have Eller play with Pleks and AK46 on the 2nd unit to help improve his game

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
you need to keep AK46 in the top 6 just b/c he has that talent, sure he is invisible some games but when he's on HE'S ON. Now i know that Pouls has chemistry with GG but i just don't see him as a top 6 forward. He could be the sniper that Eller needs, in fact im agreeing with you about Boyd and put TWO snipers with Eller. Now i know Laps is not an ideal top 6 but i think that Gomez and Gionta are good enough together they don't need a top scorer or passer on their line, more of a grinder or s**t disturber. i would like to see at some point

Camm - Plek - AK46
Gionta - Gomez - Laps/White
Pouls - Eller - Boyd
Moen - Halpern - Laps/White/Pyatt

then you can give GG someone like Camm on the PP and even have Eller play with Pleks and AK46 on the 2nd unit to help improve his game
The only thing that I don't like is that one of them would have to play on their off wing (both are RH Shots). Not saying that it wouldn't work because there are lots of players that play well on their off wing. But then you have other players in the line-up playing on the off wing too because of it. The forward group is mostly made up of LH shots.

Old
10-09-2010, 01:19 PM
AntonCH

1st year
where else do you want to put him?
Let him earn his stripes
BTW, you can't earn your stripes in 1 game

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:33 PM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Why not

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Boyd-Eller-Lapierre
Moen-Halpern-Darche/Pyatt (White should really be the player there)

Three scoring lines and a grinding trio. In any case, forward depth is not the issue on this team, it's the D.
This, again and again!

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I think he'll be in the same atmosphere as Pouliot's and Andrei's TOI. Maybe a few minutes less but not by much

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

if the team doesnt play well, they can shuffle as the game progresses. I'd like to see him with Boyd if he is in the bottom 6 but lappy could be interesting too.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Bohemian93

I was opposed to ity first but now that i think of it Eller needs a linemate who is decent defensively and Halpern can provide.Eller was -2 last game so i can understand their reasoning.Lars Eller just hasnt mastered his defensive game yet.Players like Boyd and Pyatt would provide offense with him but would overall make a terrible defensive line.The lines seem to be more balanced in these pairings and i'm pretty sure this line will get more then 4th line ice time.

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:17 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I think he'll be in the same atmosphere as Pouliot's and Andrei's TOI. Maybe a few minutes less but not by much
Eller led all Habs forwards in TOI last game. Pretty impressive for a rookie's first NHL game.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote