HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Game 1|Season Opener|SENS v SABRES| Sens Lose 2-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
  #876
sens2k9
Registered User
 
sens2k9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Wow, a creative player has a bad game and the fans turn on him for his "constant" turnovers and "terrible decision making"

Ottawa fans, you will never change, will you?

Literally after their first power play, people at the game around me were *****ing about how ridiculous it was that they couldn't score...
lolwut? I didn't realize every power play was a guaranteed goal and anything less is deserving of public beatings.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
  #877
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I think this issue will sort itself out pretty quickly, but it did feel like Karlsson was somewhat 'intimidated' by Gonchar on the PP.
Yeah, like he was playing with too much deference to the reputations of Gonchar and Alfredsson. I hope the tutelage he's getting from Sarge is more "trust your instincts, use the Force" than "give me the puck and I'll show you how it's done."

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
  #878
pt_mck
Registered User
 
pt_mck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
No one can say they will struggle they may have a hard time they may not.As for the pre season its hard to fix based on a pre season because most not all but don't go all out in the pre season.Even look at the leafs had a great pre season but the reg season game and yes they won but it was not the same team that played so well in the pre season.
Clouston had a week between the last preseason game and the first reg season game and the team still looked shabby. I he can't fix it in a week how can he do it in a couple of days?

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
  #879
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
The Fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
inthewings
No i would not say alot of thing have to go right things can't be as bad as last year.Lets take last year almost everything that could did go wrong yet they did finsih 5th.
Every other season since the lockout 94Pts is 7-9... 92Pts was 10th a few times. If the East goes back to the norm then Ottawa needs to play at a 100 point place to not be in a fight to make the playoffs.

The Sens also won 11 in a row last season which you can't bank on happening again.
Hopefully those wins are spread and the losing streaks we had last year are a lot smaller as we hopefully become consistent

Even then with more consistency and spreading those 11 wins we still need another 3-4 more to comfortably take us out of the fight.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  #880
CR15
Registered User
 
CR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
As much as I hated Leclaire being the guy he did make some big saves and if he can be consistent over a stretch of games I'll be happy. But you can see him still badly sliding out of position after saves didn't burn them last night but it will if Wamsley can't get that adressed.

The team looked pretty unmotivated out there they better bring it tonight don't want to see them get outworked while I have to watch the game with 3 of my annoying ****** leaf fanboy friends.

O yeah wtf is up with the PP?

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:26 AM
  #881
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
inthewings
No i would not say alot of thing have to go right things can't be as bad as last year.Lets take last year almost everything that could did go wrong yet they did finsih 5th.
Things aren't likely to go much better this year. Spezza will likely always miss 10 - 20 games, 3 of our best players are pushing 40, and the goaltending is a massive question, especially with Leclaire's injury history.

Like Fuhr says, this was a bad team that got hot for an 11 game stretch and made the playoffs last year in a down year for the Eastern Conference (in terms of points required to get in). It will be a dog fight to make the playoffs this year, as it is for every team that is not elite.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:32 AM
  #882
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Things aren't likely to go much better this year. Spezza will likely always miss 10 - 20 games, 3 of our best players are pushing 40, and the goaltending is a massive question, especially with Leclaire's injury history.

Like Fuhr says, this was a bad team that got hot for an 11 game stretch and made the playoffs last year in a down year for the Eastern Conference (in terms of points required to get in). It will be a dog fight to make the playoffs this year, as it is for every team that is not elite.
I agree that it could potentially be a dog fight for a playoff spot, but let's be real here. This bad team that got hot stuff is ridiculous, I mean I could take the opposite stance and say this was a good team that got inadequate and cruel goaltending at a couple stretches last season.

It could be hard season, it could be a good one, but after we play more than a couple games we'll probably see we'll only play to our potential if the goaltending allows us to. That and injuries.

This team's not quite built to play without one of it's reliable top 4 defensive defensemen and it's top line center.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
  #883
Ron Jeremy
Registered User
 
Ron Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
I am starting to have my doubts about Cory Clouston as a coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i thought it would be worth mentioning that the sens were dominating until the too many men penalty in the first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoncharKarlsson View Post
How did CC not clue in that it just wasn't EK's game?
Learn how to count to ****ing 5, Clouston!!!! He has to be the most penalized coach in the NHL since he got there.

He also, annoyingly, is constantly line juggling which is probably part of the reason for the Too Many Men calls..... let the guys get some consistency and develop chemistry. He also does not adjust well in game at all. If his plan is failing after one period, the team will lose... end of story. Whereas, a wiley coach like Jacques Martin will switch it up, change his tactic, change his line matchups and so on. Try something for the love of god, man!!

If you see EK is having a bad game.... sit him a little more. If you see Alfie is struggling, sit him a little... the guy is 72 after all... give him a rest. 3rd line was causing some havoc and having a little success.... play the 4th a little more.... obviously, that style is working... how about a Smith, Foligno, Winchester line to grind them out. If that style seems to be working why not?... and WTF is Shannon still here? He is completely useless on the 4th line and not good enough for a top 6 spot.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:49 AM
  #884
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I agree that it could potentially be a dog fight for a playoff spot, but let's be real here. This bad team that got hot stuff is ridiculous, I mean I could take the opposite stance and say this was a good team that got inadequate and cruel goaltending at a couple stretches last season.

It could be hard season, it could be a good one, but after we play more than a couple games we'll probably see we'll only play to our potential if the goaltending allows us to. That and injuries.

This team's not quite built to play without one of it's reliable top 4 defensive defensemen and it's top line center.
The problem is that this was a 0.500 team for all but that 11 game stretch. They finished 12 games over on the strength of an 11 game win streak. I choose to be very wary of teams like that.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:50 AM
  #885
DaveMatthew
Registered User
 
DaveMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 6,648
vCash: 500
After reading just a few pages of this thread, I've concluded that a large amount of people on this board are idiots.

I suggest you all stop posting and watching hockey. Maybe try something a little less stressful, like HGTV.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
  #886
Ron Jeremy
Registered User
 
Ron Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
I suggest you all stop posting and watching hockey. Maybe try something a little less stressful, like HGTV.
HGTV is very stressful... every time my wife watches it, I get chest pains thinking of what hair brained, unnecessary home reno project she thinks she can't live without now. That channel should be banned. Selling **** they don't need to people who can't afford it and making unsuspecting husbands spend their entire weekend installing stuff they don't want... I blocked it on our router

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
  #887
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
The problem is that this was a 0.500 team for all but that 11 game stretch. They finished 12 games over on the strength of an 11 game win streak. I choose to be very wary of teams like that.
That's fine we got hot when we were healthy. The fact that we went on an 11 game winstreak as we got completely health for a stretch is all well and great, but had we been healthy as a group a little more and not had quite as much black and white goaltending from whoever in the pipes.

The team other than the goaltending is capable of a lot if they aren't hurt. If the goaltending upgrades from last year, and we play like last year but less injuries to key players. We should be fine. But that may be asking for a lot on my part.

The team is good but vulnerable.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:59 AM
  #888
Samsquanch
Creep
 
Samsquanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Big Nickel
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
After reading just a few pages of this thread, I've concluded that a large amount of people on this board are idiots.

I suggest you all stop posting and watching hockey. Maybe try something a little less stressful, like HGTV.


Its amazing how bent out of shape people can get after 1 game. Lets wait till game 5 at least before we throw in the towel guys .

This was not a bad team that got hot for an 11 game stretch last year. We were decimated by injuries at certain points in the year (as many teams also were), had close to the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL, and had to adjust to life without a superstar sniper. Yet somehow we managed to pull out a fairly successful seasons with all things considered.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
  #889
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Things aren't likely to go much better this year. Spezza will likely always miss 10 - 20 games, 3 of our best players are pushing 40, and the goaltending is a massive question, especially with Leclaire's injury history.

Like Fuhr says, this was a bad team that got hot for an 11 game stretch and made the playoffs last year in a down year for the Eastern Conference (in terms of points required to get in). It will be a dog fight to make the playoffs this year, as it is for every team that is not elite.
Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Fisher and Foligno missed 8 games combined in 08-09. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 25 games. Total for all of these players was 33 games missed.

Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Kovalev, Fisher and Foligno missed 80 games combined in 09-10. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 47 games. Total for all of these players was 127 games missed.

These are our key offensive and defensive players that were decimated by injuries last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
The problem is that this was a 0.500 team for all but that 11 game stretch. They finished 12 games over on the strength of an 11 game win streak. I choose to be very wary of teams like that.
That's irrelevant. They had long losing streaks as well. Should we discount those?

This is also a team that had a negative +/-, but made the playoffs. That isn't normal. Do you know why that would happen? .... Because they lost when the injuries became too much to overcome and won when they were mostly healthy.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:03 PM
  #890
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post


Its amazing how bent out of shape people can get after 1 game. Lets wait till game 5 at least before we throw in the towel guys .

This was not a bad team that got hot for an 11 game stretch last year. We were decimated by injuries at certain points in the year (as many teams also were), had close to the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL, and had to adjust to life without a superstar sniper. Yet somehow we managed to pull out a fairly successful seasons with all things considered.
And a competitive playoff serious despite injuries to several regulars and a hurting captain.

We're gonna get the injuries, but I don't expect we'll have as bad of luck as we did last year. Timing killed us a lot.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:08 PM
  #891
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Fisher and Foligno missed 8 games combined in 08-09. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 25 games. Total for all of these players was 33 games missed.

Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Kovalev, Fisher and Foligno missed 80 games combined in 09-10. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 47 games. Total for all of these players was 127 games missed.
Thanks for digging those up. The group we have now appears to be more prone to it, whether it be age in Alfie, Gonchar, Kovalev or level of glassness in a guy like Michalek or the potential of frailness in Karlsson.

But, to expect to have nearly the man games lost last season is little bit much. Given how much I thought we missed an extra adequate minute eater in Kuba or offensive presence and creativity from Spezza last night, it surprises me how competitive we were able to make it many nights last year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:11 PM
  #892
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Fisher and Foligno missed 8 games combined in 08-09. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 25 games. Total for all of these players was 33 games missed.

Spezza, Alfie, Michalek, Kovalev, Fisher and Foligno missed 80 games combined in 09-10. Kuba Phillips and Volchenkov combined to miss 47 games. Total for all of these players was 127 games missed.

These are our key offensive and defensive players that were decimated by injuries last season.



That's irrelevant. They had long losing streaks as well. Should we discount those?

This is also a team that had a negative +/-, but made the playoffs. That isn't normal. Do you know why that would happen? .... Because they lost when the injuries became too much to overcome and won when they were mostly healthy.
I'm not looking for an argument, especially one such as this in the GDT of an opening night loss. What it boils down to is people here liking this roster a lot more than I like it. We have as important cogs on our team a starting goalie and #1 center with huge injury issues, and a captain, #1 D and 1st line winger all pushing 40.

We were remarkably healthy in 2008-2009 and abnormally injury-plagued last year. Given the nature of our roster I'd put money on our man-games lost total resembling that of last year more than that of 2 years ago.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:14 PM
  #893
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I'm not looking for an argument, especially one such as this in the GDT of an opening night loss. What it boils down to is people here liking this roster a lot more than I like it. We have as important cogs on our team a starting goalie and #1 center with huge injury issues, and a captain, #1 D and 1st line winger all pushing 40.

We were remarkably healthy in 2008-2009 and abnormally injury-plagued last year. Given the nature of our roster I'd put money on our man-games lost total resembling that of last year more than that of 2 years ago.
Are you prone to pessimism? I'd say something half between those two years is a reasonable expectation. It's not only the man games lost, it's the combination of players and playing the majority of the season always missing a key guy or two.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:15 PM
  #894
Samsquanch
Creep
 
Samsquanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Big Nickel
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
And a competitive playoff serious despite injuries to several regulars and a hurting captain.

We're gonna get the injuries, but I don't expect we'll have as bad of luck as we did last year. Timing killed us a lot.
I agree it was all about timing with the injuries last year. You can honestly only pray to baby jebus that we never have a year like last year injury wise. That was outright depressing never getting to witness our roster with all key guys playing at once.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:18 PM
  #895
Jnewman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Wow, one loss and everybody's ******** their pants...some things never change. I have no idea why the team looked as disjointed last night as it did...too many guys trying to do too much, especially on D. Maybe that's because everyone has new pairings? Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure we'll see a more familiar look tonight: structured, defensively responsible, physical.
No matter how awful they were, there were still some things that impressed me (besides Leclaire): Karlsson had an awful game and it didn't seem to phase him at all, he played his best hockey late in the third period when a lot of guys a) would be stapled to the bench, or b) have zero confidence. No sophomore jinx for this guy.
Why Clouston replaced Spezza with Fisher is absolutely beyond me...however, when he did finally wake up and put Regin in there we started to generate some chances.
The Kelly-Ruutu-Neil line picked up right where it left off. Nicky Foligno played a solid game.
The one player that really disappointed, in my books, was Carkner. He made more mistakes last night than I saw most of last year. Keep it simple Matty.

Jnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:19 PM
  #896
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,017
vCash: 500
I think people need to take off the Sens tunnel vision when it comes to injuries, look around the league for some comparison, the Sens arent the only team out there.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:19 PM
  #897
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
I agree it was all about timing with the injuries last year. You can honestly only pray to baby jebus that we never have a year like last year injury wise. That was outright depressing never getting to witness our roster with all key guys playing at once.
The thing about Spezza is in my opinion he thinks he should have played last night. Their just being real damn conscious to make absolutely sure he doesnt miss more games because him more than anyone is the offensive player we can't be missing for 5-6 game stretches.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
  #898
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I'm not looking for an argument, especially one such as this in the GDT of an opening night loss. What it boils down to is people here liking this roster a lot more than I like it. We have as important cogs on our team a starting goalie and #1 center with huge injury issues, and a captain, #1 D and 1st line winger all pushing 40.

We were remarkably healthy in 2008-2009 and abnormally injury-plagued last year. Given the nature of our roster I'd put money on our man-games lost total resembling that of last year more than that of 2 years ago.
We don't have a starting goalie and no goalie who is an important cog in whether this team wins. We have goalies who are about as important to our team winning as our 3rd liners/bottom pairing D-men.

They missed over twice as many games as average players in their situations. Also, nothing says that this seasons injuries will all attack our best players instead of depth players.

Otherwise, this is a team that should be certain for a playoff spot and with the playoff experience it has, could be dangerous in the postseason if the goalie situation is rectified.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
  #899
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR15 View Post
As much as I hated Leclaire being the guy he did make some big saves and if he can be consistent over a stretch of games I'll be happy. But you can see him still badly sliding out of position after saves didn't burn them last night but it will if Wamsley can't get that adressed.

The team looked pretty unmotivated out there they better bring it tonight don't want to see them get outworked while I have to watch the game with 3 of my annoying ****** leaf fanboy friends.

O yeah wtf is up with the PP?
The power play was good last night.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:23 PM
  #900
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Are you prone to pessimism? I'd say something half between those two years is a reasonable expectation. It's not only the man games lost, it's the combination of players and playing the majority of the season always missing a key guy or two.
I'm not a pessimist. There have been years when I've loved the roster and years where I'm not so high on it. This year I see them as a 7-10 seed. I'm not so high on the roster.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.