HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1|Season Opener|SENS v SABRES| Sens Lose 2-1

Old
10-09-2010, 12:24 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I'm not a pessimist. There have been years when I've loved the roster and years where I'm not so high on it. This year I see them as a 7-10 seed. I'm not so high on the roster.
The roster is better then last year.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I think people need to take off the Sens tunnel vision when it comes to injuries, look around the league for some comparison, the Sens arent the only team out there.
Few teams will face the injury situation we did last season and those that do will likely miss the playoffs.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I think people need to take off the Sens tunnel vision when it comes to injuries, look around the league for some comparison, the Sens arent the only team out there.
The teams with all comparable injury troubles last season struggled. Detroit had it worse than us and they were close to missing the playoffs until they got healthy and went dangerous again.

Surely there are fans in Detroit they have a fringe playoff team that can't really depend on just being the hottest team in the league at the end of the year to earn a safe playoff spot . Forget the awful amount of key injuries they aren't likely to experience again.

We aren't either, but ours weren't quite as bad. We also finished in 5th despite. And made a competitive playoff series, when it mattered, with an usual amount of key injuries compared to the defending champs who weren't missing much (if you like comparables)

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 10-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
We don't have a starting goalie and no goalie who is an important cog in whether this team wins. We have goalies who are about as important to our team winning as our 3rd liners/bottom pairing D-men.

They missed over twice as many games as average players in their situations. Also, nothing says that this seasons injuries will all attack our best players instead of depth players.

Otherwise, this is a team that should be certain for a playoff spot and with the playoff experience it has, could be dangerous in the postseason if the goalie situation is rectified.
Maybe they won't lose as many man games as last year, but the nature of the roster is such that they are more likely than other teams to lose important players to injury - their best players are their oldest and many have been prone to injury over their careers.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:28 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The teams with all comparable injury troubles last season struggled. Detroit had it worse than us and they were close to missing the playoffs until they got healthy and went dangerous again.

Surely there are fans in Detroit they have a fringe playoff team that can't really depend on just being the hottest team in the league at the end of the year to earn a safe playoff spot . Forget the awful amount of key injuries they aren't likely to experience again.

We aren't either, but ours weren't quite as bad. We also finished in 5th despite. And made a competitive playoff serious, when it mattered, with an usual amount of key injuries compared to the defending champs who weren't missing much (if you like comparables)
I agree, I was inferring to people who are all about in arms about our team having guys injured in general and freaking out about it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I'm not a pessimist. There have been years when I've loved the roster and years where I'm not so high on it. This year I see them as a 7-10 seed. I'm not so high on the roster.
That's fair, but if it's because your expecting similar injury problems at last years I'd just say it's not likely.

If you don't like the roster that's fine, I think our roster can compete with Boston in the north east, it's the goaltending I worry about first and it's key injuries I worry about next. But who knows who's going to take injury hits this year. This sport is beginning to hurt people more, it can bite any team.

What if it bites Buffalo and Boston? We stay relatively healthy and all of a sudden our roster is strong in the North East. The unpredictability of injuries can hurt anyone and the unpredictability of it makes it hard to just say I don't like our roster, or I like it. I like it if it's healthy, but who knows where the season's going.

Old
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Injuries are part of the game, like bad goals.

It's best not to think about them too much.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:53 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Exactly-- injuries are part of the game. If Ryan Miller, for instance, were to suffer a concussion and miss 15 or so games, that could singlehandedly scupper the Sabres' season. Every team has that key player or players, who, if they are injured, will impact their team quite adversely.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:53 PM
topshelfie

Just reading the stats from last nights game. Karlsson had 6 giveways.....Thats worse than Spezza in his first couple years and hes a defenceman.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie4snipez View Post
Just reading the stats from last nights game. Karlsson had 6 giveways.....Thats worse than Spezza in his first couple years and hes a defenceman.
He had a bad game. It happens.

Asquaredx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:59 PM
topshelfie

thanks tips!

no chance i knew that already

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
thanks tips!

no chance i knew that already
You're welcome.

Honestly, sometimes these things bear repeating, just to keep the over-reaction in check. The way this board criticizes this team after a loss suggests that every other team in the league is composed of perfect players and it's unacceptable that we aren't.

Asquaredx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:13 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Lay off, he's still only a kid.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Lay off, he's still only a kid.
I'll start to worry if it starts repeating itself again. He was visibly frustrated with himself and perhaps didn't come into this game with the right frame of mind, if he doesn't correct himself I'll worry about his season. He's just gotta be protect the puck better and with his ability there's no reason as long as he changes his approach he shouldn't be able to do that.

Old
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Alfredsson11

Pretty sure Spezza is playing, just showed him coming to the Rink on CBC, if he wasn't playing he wouldnt be there that early, I think it was 4:47 ET when they showd him coming in with Carkner

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Pretty sure Spezza is playing, just showed him coming to the Rink on CBC, if he wasn't playing he wouldnt be there that early, I think it was 4:47 ET when they showd him coming in with Carkner
If he had played last night, the Sens win the game. The powerplay was good, but he has shown a way of owning Buffalo over the years -- he would've been good for at least a goal for, probably more.

10-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Afro Thunder*

Anyone else think that Michalek doesn't fit with this team at all, I was watching him specifically last night and the guy has no chemistry with anyone, he just doesn't fit in with the system plus he needs a top play making center like Spezza or Thornton to put the puck in the net.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:21 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Anyone else think that Michalek doesn't fit with this team at all, I was watching him specifically last night and the guy has no chemistry with anyone, he just doesn't fit in with the system plus he needs a top play making center like Spezza or Thornton to put the puck in the net.
Give it time 20 games from now if he is still the same then maybe you make a move.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:22 PM
richele

hi everyone....
if someone knew if Spezza in the line up tonight??

richele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If he had played last night, the Sens win the game. The powerplay was good, but he has shown a way of owning Buffalo over the years -- he would've been good for at least a goal for, probably more.
I don't usually notice this type of thing like I noticed it last night, we were seriously missing elite offensive skill last night and at times it's like you could just see the times Spezza would have made a difference.

We had things going at times last night but it seemed like some guys couldnt keep up with the role they were put in. Spezza in the lineup can protect those guys and actually get more out of them.

We had times where puck possession and presence in the offensive zone came easily but no one on the ice could use it productively. Spezza usually has a way of making things happen off strong forechecking.

Old
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Always had an issue with those things. Doesn't play well with others rarely finishes, often hurt. He can't be relied on this heavily in the future if he remains with the team.

Old
10-09-2010, 05:33 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richele View Post
hi everyone....
if someone knew if Spezza in the line up tonight??

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Always had an issue with those things. Doesn't play well with others rarely finishes, often hurt. He can't be relied on this heavily in the future if he remains with the team.
Michalek is a useful enough complimentary player, but I think any illusions of him becoming a star power forward are just that, illusions. He just seems to be missing critical hockey sense and vision necessary to be a force unto himself. Hopefully he takes a step forward this year, I'm just not all that optimistic on that front.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Michalek is a useful enough complimentary player, but I think any illusions of him becoming a star power forward are just that, illusions. He just seems to be missing critical hockey sense and vision necessary to be a force unto himself. Hopefully he takes a step forward this year, I'm just not all that optimistic on that front.

Go Sens Go. Stay healthy out there Spez.
Exactly this.