HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#2: Flyers @ Blues -Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
Boosh saved this from being real ughly!
I agree with you 100%, he looked very sharp !If he starts the home opener i have zero complaints.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol it's so blatant to see who this forum likes and hates. So many sheep in here its unreal.

Forget the fact that the team played terrible.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
on a bright note, JVR was once again fantastic.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MojoJojo

Well, considering they were short handed for so long, the result is not surprising. I thought they played well in the third but kept getting little ticky tack penalties called against them, interrupting their flow. The Blues looked good though. Very solid all over. Their D core was impressive, Halak is showing he is legit. Not a very scary offense, but essentially two good second lines and guys who can play an up temp two way game on all the lines. Considering how flat the Flyers were in the first and second, I think we are lucky to walk away with a point.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
I don't recall him playing tonight. I know he is coming back from injury, but I recall seeing articles he is clear to play. Maybe I'm being mislead.
He's injured. You know, from when he played 30 minutes a night through the entirety of 100 games last season with an injury?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He's injured. You know, from when he played 30 minutes a night through the entirety of 100 games last season with an injury?
Once again, I recall reading articles about him being cleared to play and this is extra rest and more of his decision. I wouldn't mind this, if our defense wasn't this poor at getting the puck out of our own zone. Although the forwards didn't help so much either.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Well, considering they were short handed for so long, the result is not surprising. I thought they played well in the third but kept getting little ticky tack penalties called against them, interrupting their flow. The Blues looked good though. Very solid all over. Their D core was impressive, Halak is showing he is legit. Not a very scary offense, but essentially two good second lines and guys who can play an up temp two way game on all the lines. Considering how flat the Flyers were in the first and second, I think we are lucky to walk away with a point.
I agree except the part about Halak, i thought his glove hand was really terrible, and thought he was ripe for the taking if we could have generated some offense in the first 2 periods, But he did win !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What's with Zherdev's low icetime? Who are his linemates?
That TO by O'Donnell behind the net was freaking brutal on the winning goal, absolutely horrendous.

1) Bart is not an NHLer.

2) Obligatory: ****ing split Carter and Richards. Jesus they both look awful, Richards looks about 1/8th of himself, they don't even create chances, neither of them have any idea what position they're playing, you can see them switching back and forth during shifts, it's a farce.

3) Zherdev is one of the laziest players I've ever seen, we seriously got rid of Gagne for this bum? What happened to this organization's values?

4) JVR was sick, I honestly can't think of another Flyers forward that stood out tonight. Giroux has done nothing at ES in 2 games, I don't blame him, he's out of position and Zherdev looks like he'd rather be at the beach.

5) For 3.3 million, can Coburn please be calm in the defensive zone? I'm not asking for offensive production, just make clean passes.

Ah well, 3 points in 2 tough games is fine, the Blues are going to be a hard team to play against, but we haven't come close to hitting our stride yet. The main thing that worries me is that our defensive zone play is really, really bad. Missing coverages, not anticipating, etc. I know it's early, but the Blues looked very organized.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Boucher was the better goalie tonight. Halak wasnt asked to make the high quality saves Boucher had to make. no chance on either goal Boucher allowed.
so many ticky tack calls. the call on Leino was a WTF call. then Jackman mugs Briere behind the play and nothing. The refs werent the reason we lost. Not enough urgency tonight in the first 40.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
Once again, I recall reading articles about him being cleared to play and this is extra rest and more of his decision. I wouldn't mind this, if our defense wasn't this poor at getting the puck out of our own zone. Although the forwards didn't help so much either.
Do you really want him to come back before he's ready? I'm willing to sacrifice a few games of Pronger at the beginning of the season if it reduces the risk of re-injury.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

meh....lack of 60 min play but then in the 3rd they went all out....similar to last year. I had more fun playing with my new droid x.....plus Bob didn't play which I figured might not happen since Boosh's sensitivities needed to be massaged. Hopefully against Pitt next Sat I can see Bob live....

BTW...can we just unload Walker already.....and Zherdev has me concerned a bit with his ho hum play. Still waiting for Carter to score....b/c you know he scored 46 goals once in his career...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Do you really want him to come back before he's ready? I'm willing to sacrifice a few games of Pronger at the beginning of the season if it reduces the risk of re-injury.
I agree, I'm just upset with this "improved" defense we have this season. I'm impatient

Old
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
And we were lucky to get that. And also, Briere is bad defensively. I'm sure that's hard to see after he scores a goal and all, but it's the truth.
he's NEVER been good at D, I'm sick of the flyers fans hoping for one day for him to wake up and decide to be good at it. But yeah lets crucify him for scoring the only goal today and getting his team a point on the road, great mind set there. I don't see many people on here complaining about JVR's defense because he's been all over the ice in the offensive zone, but he got caught standing around while his man scored the game winner for ****s sake.

the team was flat tonight, luckily we got a point out of it.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
That's because Chris Pronger understands the relative importance of not over-exerting yourself post-injury in the FIRST TWO GAMES OF THE YEAR. I mean seriously, Pronger himself talks about how he preserves energy early in the season by not killing himself night in and night out so he can be in full beast mode for the playoffs.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
That TO by O'Donnell behind the net was freaking brutal on the winning goal, absolutely horrendous.
That was all on Giroux. He played it back into the wash after the puck came to him, rather than taking the puck away from the net and regrouping.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
I agree, I'm just upset with this "improved" defense we have this season. I'm impatient
Well, I'll tell you one thing... Meszaros isn't all that impressive in the games I've seen thus far. A big shot and not much else. Certainly an improvement over the guys we were trotting out on the 3rd pairing last year, but, then again, those guys weren't making 4M. A bit loose defensively and seems to get caught with guys behind him a fair bit.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That was all on Giroux. He played it back into the wash after the puck came to him, rather than taking the puck away from the net and regrouping.
Ah was it Giroux? I figured it was a d-man and Kimmo was on the other side of the net.

It worries me a bit how badly we're getting cycled on. I expect it with the Briere line, but the Giroux line didn't do anything in the offensive zone that wasn't singlehandedly fueled by JVR, Carter and Richards did nothing.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you one thing... Meszaros isn't all that impressive in the games I've seen thus far. A big shot and not much else. Certainly an improvement over the guys we were trotting out on the 3rd pairing last year, but, then again, those guys weren't making 4M. A bit loose defensively and seems to get caught with guys behind him a fair bit.
He mixes the good with the bad. I thought he made an outstanding pass on the play that led to the goal, but he looks kind of lumbering and positionally crappy.

I didn't think that pairing was a problem tonight though. If Meszaros made 2 million, I'd be okay with him, but for 4 mill and a 2nd, we need more.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Ah was it Giroux? I figured it was a d-man and Kimmo was on the other side of the net.

It worries me a bit how badly we're getting cycled on. I expect it with the Briere line, but the Giroux line didn't do anything in the offensive zone that wasn't singlehandedly fueled by JVR, Carter and Richards did nothing.
Yeah, O'Donnell was the dude behind the net trailing whomever it was. I'm pretty sure Giroux just shot it into his shin guard, but didn't watch the replays too closely.

Giroux just needs to slow down there... he had the puck with a little bit of time if he retreats to the corner and draws the guy to him he has an easy reverse... or he could have then just said F it and put it off the glass and try to get a clear.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
seanerixon

Quote:
I still don't understand why Gagne was traded, lol. Walker, c'mon.. And yes Meszaros is disappointing. He needs to start playing some D and get some good outlet passes going if he ever wants to shoot the puck again.

Old
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
2) Obligatory: ****ing split Carter and Richards. Jesus they both look awful, Richards looks about 1/8th of himself, they don't even create chances, neither of them have any idea what position they're playing, you can see them switching back and forth during shifts, it's a farce.
I agree about everything except the bold part from tonight's game. They had quite a few chances, including two 2-on-1s.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
He mixes the good with the bad. I thought he made an outstanding pass on the play that led to the goal, but he looks kind of lumbering and positionally crappy.

I didn't think that pairing was a problem tonight though. If Meszaros made 2 million, I'd be okay with him, but for 4 mill and a 2nd, we need more.
For 4M I kind of think we should get a guy we don't have to "worry" about... and he definitely seems like someone you have to worry about. Too early, given that our pairings are all messy... and I like his shot, but given that some very good D went for that price tag or only a bit more...

Old
10-09-2010, 10:15 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Yeah, O'Donnell was the dude behind the net trailing whomever it was. I'm pretty sure Giroux just shot it into his shin guard, but didn't watch the replays too closely.

Giroux just needs to slow down there... he had the puck with a little bit of time if he retreats to the corner and draws the guy to him he has an easy reverse... or he could have then just said F it and put it off the glass and try to get a clear.
Just saw the replay, Giroux tried to reverse it off the boards and it ended up hitting the guy in the shinguard.

Can give him the benefit of the doubt, it's still early, but that's a puck that just needs to be flipped out. I honestly think Kimmo should just give "Simplicity" lessons to the entire team, he's a master of it.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I agree about everything except the bold part from tonight's game. They had quite a few chances, including two 2-on-1s.
Carter just missed far post late in the 3rd or early in OT... couldn't tell you which.

The problem with those two -- and I was relieved to hear Lavy apparently say he isn't sold on the idea of them playing together -- is that they play at very different paces. Carter is a get up on your skates and go guy... where as Richards is a more methodical player.

That can work... but there's going to be a necessary adjustment period. May do Carter some good to have to slow down some.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm not totally inclined to think of those rushes as demonstrations of chemistry. I mean, a d-man passes the puck to them or one of them wins a race to it, the other one skates up and joins the rush...

I mean, it's just not working. Right now, we have 3 lines none of whom is really creating pressure in the offensive zone unless JVR is involved. Seriously, can anyone think of good shifts we had where JVR wasn't on the ice? And I'm not just saying that to laud JVR, I'm saying, something obviously isn't working for everyone else.

Quote:
For 4M I kind of think we should get a guy we don't have to "worry" about... and he definitely seems like someone you have to worry about. Too early, given that our pairings are all messy... and I like his shot, but given that some very good D went for that price tag or only a bit more...
Yeah, it's a fair comment.

I mean, right now we're paying significant money to 3 guys (Mez, Carle, Coburn) who all come with a certain "oh ****" factor. Of those guys, I'd characterize Carle as the most reliable and that's not really saying a ton considering he ****s up fairly routinely.

When you think that we could have dealt Coburn/Carle, kept our 2nd, and thrown 5 mill at Paul Martin....