HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#2: Flyers @ Blues -Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm just befuddled by the decisions the coaching staff and upper management has made since the off-season began.

-I was against the Meszaros trade from the onset and he still hasn't lived up to his contract. He's done okay overall, but just okay isn't going to make you worth 4 mil over several years. If he were actually worth a 4 mil contract then Tampa wouldn't have been so eager to get rid of him.

-I also said that Gagne to Zherdev was a clear downgrade offensively and defensively while optimists proclaimed that it wasn't a downgrade offensively at least. Gagne is a good bet for 30 goals and 70 points when healthy, along with constant effort and terrific defensive play. Zherdev isn't a good bet for anything, let alone 30 goals and 70 points. Not to mention the defensive play and the disinterested appearance of his play.

-Why the **** is Shelley getting regular minutes? I wasn't that upset at the Shelley contract over the summer because I thought he would just be an extra man, but they're actually giving him a constant spot on the 4th line? **** that ****. All he can do is fight on occasion. That is literally the only thing he brings to the table.

-I can't fathom why Carter is playing wing. It's never worked in the past and there's no reason to disrupt what has worked for him the past two years. I understand that Laviolette himself has never tried him at wing, but still, why?

-****ing dump Walker or play him. It's ridiculous to keep a 1.7 mil scrub out of the lineup but on our cap. I know he can't play, but he's literally just dead cap space right now.

I know it's only been two games, but it's just frustrating watching some of these decisions be made and not seeing my off-season predictions being proven wrong.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
We need Pronger back

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Timonen was the only defenseman who was good tonight. everyone else was meh or terrible. O'Donnell looks every bit age. Coburn took 2 lazy penalties tonight. That is one part of his game that ticks me off. just the lazy stick fouls.
Meszaros so far looks like a overpaid bottom pairing defenseman.
I really lost track of the unforced turnovers in the game tonight in their own zone. Then again for the first 40 outside of Boucher and JVR there was not alot to like.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Timonen was the only defenseman who was good tonight. everyone else was meh or terrible. O'Donnell looks every bit age. Coburn took 2 lazy penalties tonight. That is one part of his game that ticks me off. just the lazy stick fouls.
I really lost track of the unforced turnovers in the game tonight in their own zone. Then again for the first 40 outside of Boucher and JVR there was not alot to like.
Meszaro
Well, in fairness to Coburn, that is a chronic problem with this team... they need to collectively stop sticking their sticks into people.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:27 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Meszaro
The penalty that gave them the 5 on 3 was absolutely infuriating. Sure it was a bit soft, but don't ****ing put your stick there.

I don't get it, he's a likable guy, but he hasn't shown progress in the last 2+ years and we go out and nearly triple his salary.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM
MsWoof

I'd like to see more of JvR/Richards/Carter. Richards and Carter started to finally click tonight so I'd give them a bit more time. It's not like the team is 0 and 2, they got 3 out of 4 points on the road so things are going well in spite of lapses. They have a lot of new players and have to adjust to each other.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He's playing with no enthusiasm. He sucked.
Wasn't that one of the complaints about him with his last NHL team?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Wasn't that one of the complaints about him with his last NHL team?
It's been a complaint for practically his whole NHL career.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:41 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For 4M I kind of think we should get a guy we don't have to "worry" about... and he definitely seems like someone you have to worry about. Too early, given that our pairings are all messy... and I like his shot, but given that some very good D went for that price tag or only a bit more...
I agree.

I know it's early and I shouldn't rush to any hasty decisions on anybody on our roster yet, but Meszaros has shown me very little to really like so far, including preseason games.

So far, I don't like him one bit. For $4m, I expect to have a guy who's better than Carle/Coburn, and so far Mesz seems to have just as flawed a game as either of those two. If not worse.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I agree.

I know it's early and I shouldn't rush to any hasty decisions on anybody on our roster yet, but Meszaros has shown me very little to really like so far, including preseason games.

So far, I don't like him one bit. For $4m, I expect to have a guy who's better than Carle/Coburn, and so far Mesz seems to have just as flawed a game as either of those two. If not worse.
Yeah, I mean the reality is that he isn't an unknown commodity coming in... we're just going to be paying closer attention and seeing more of him. There's a reason TB was willing to part with the guy for so little...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I agree.

I think the bolded stands out the most, and is a good point. I didn't notice him much in preseason, but I wasn't looking directly for him either. Coburn got alot of ice time and it was easy to point out his mistakes because of it. Perhaps coach is seeing what he's got to go along with his new pay check. However like you mentioned, Meszaros isn't showing me anything that proves his salary and like others mentioned you don't simply move a $4 mil defenseman for ***** and giggles unless you don't like something about his game.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Well, in fairness to Coburn, that is a chronic problem with this team... they need to collectively stop sticking their sticks into people.
Oh i know. it isnt just him. But it was his penalty that led to the 5 on 3 goal. its been a teamwide epidemic the last few seasons. Lazy stick fouls. Guys get beat and the stick goes between the legs or up in the mid section. its going to get called every single time. yet they still have not gotten that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The penalty that gave them the 5 on 3 was absolutely infuriating. Sure it was a bit soft, but don't ****ing put your stick there.

I don't get it, he's a likable guy, but he hasn't shown progress in the last 2+ years and we go out and nearly triple his salary.
If Coburn was part of any other organization there would have been some negotiating into the offseason. It just reeks of the Randy Jones situation where Holmgren probably didnt spend more then 5 minutes negotiating with Coburn and his agent.
Dont get me wrong. I like Coburn. Just not at 3.25 million.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Garbage Goal

Coburn has his flaws, but he's still a decent second pairing guy for now and I think he's definitely worth his contract. It'll be interesting to see what happens when his contract is up though.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Yeah, I mean the reality is that he isn't an unknown commodity coming in... we're just going to be paying closer attention and seeing more of him. There's a reason TB was willing to part with the guy for so little...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I think the bolded stands out the most, and is a good point. I didn't notice him much in preseason, but I wasn't looking directly for him either. Coburn got alot of ice time and it was easy to point out his mistakes because of it. Perhaps coach is seeing what he's got to go along with his new pay check. However like you mentioned, Meszaros isn't showing me anything that proves his salary and like others mentioned you don't simply move a $4 mil defenseman for ***** and giggles unless you don't like something about his game.
Definitely. I always thought Meszaros had his deficiencies, but now that he's here I'm really seeing them.

Granted, I haven't REALLY liked the trade since the beginning so I'm probably looking for reasons to dislike his game, but he's not showing me anything really positive. Or at the very least, nothing to justify his salary. If we were going to go out and spend more on a guy than either Carle or Coburn, I expect to get a very solid guy we don't have to worry about who can anchor a pairing...and I don't think we got that.

I think it's basically like having Carle with a higher price tag, and less offensive contribution. I see him struggling as the guy who has to hold a pairing down, but probably being good as a partner to Pronger/Timonen. The problem is, we already have two guys like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard on him. But I just don't see what he really brings to our team. Maybe it's because, in a way, his salary is what replaced Gagne on this team, so I want him to be a bigger part of our blueline. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Old
10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

It was a soft penalty. And the penalties weren't great, but people only notice the bad. I made it a point to watch him these first few games, whenever someone has carried the puck his his way they have been quickly relieved of it, or at least canceled out. He's just not getting beat much at all. I will say that he needs to learn how to get beat with out taking that last ditch stick penalty (like when he got caught flat-footed on that powerplay).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:07 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I was thinking the same - heck of a voice!
THANKS! We love Charles Glenn here in St. Louis. Funny story, a friend convinced him to try out for singing the national anthem and now he is our regular guy.

I felt it was a decent game. You can tell it is early in the season for everyone, especially the refs. A lot of questionable calls going both ways.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and "good game".

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
THANKS! We love Charles Glenn here in St. Louis. Funny story, a friend convinced him to try out for singing the national anthem and now he is our regular guy.

I felt it was a decent game. You can tell it is early in the season for everyone, especially the refs. A lot of questionable calls going both ways.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and "good game".
thanks for stopping by, best of luck with the rest of your season. Please do some damage to the RW's if possible and of course Chicago. Must also say i LOVE those jersey's you guys wore tonight. They were the 3rd jerseys last year if i'm not mistaken? Are they the normal home jersey's now or am I just having some wishful thinking b.c I like them the most after Vancouver's stick logo jersey/combo.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Mgkibbles

Nice game from JVR, Giroux, Richards, Briere, Carle, Kimmo, and Boucher. Everyone else was pretty meh, and Hartnell was just straight up brutal. Carcillo is also very invisible right now.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Mgkibbles

Oh yea, does anyone have a theory on why Shelly is making 1.1 million over three years? I certainly don't. This guy brings nothing. I want Asham back.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Shelly played in the top 9 and just tried to deflect pucks off his face and into the net, but other than that he just serves as 2010's Brashear - skating around aimlessly hoping someone has the balls to drop the gloves so he can use his brick hands for something other than turning over the puck.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:23 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Agreed.

Signed,
Blues Fans

Pang is awful...only surpassed in awfulness by John Kelly, the Blues P-B-P guy.
Pause the DVR. Walk over to your radio. Turn it on. Tune it to KMOX 1120 AM. Unpause DVR. Snyc them up. Listen to Kelly Chase and Chris Kerber call the game while watching.

(Yes, this WILL work in Philly. 1120 AM is a clear channel (in the real meaning, not the company). Just need a good antenna.)

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Watching the game, Carcillo had around 3-4 infront of the net chances and totally **** up on them. I told people he would kill that line and it showed. Overall, it was a better game from Richards and Carter but Carcillo cant keep up with that line at all. I called it though.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Watching the game, Carcillo had around 3-4 infront of the net chances and totally **** up on them. I told people he would kill that line and it showed. Overall, it was a better game from Richards and Carter but Carcillo cant keep up with that line at all. I called it though.
Do they need Shelley or Nodl there

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Do they need Shelley or Nodl there
I dont know who but try someone else... damn. I was at a family party and half of us were *****ing cause Carcillo isnt doing jack ****. He cruises around maybe laying a hit out here and there, and when Carter/Richards finally get something going, they give it to Carcillo who loses it. Happened like 8 times (him losing it I meant). I remember one specific time when Carter gave a nice centering pass and he completed flubbed on it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Flyerfan4life

that was one of the worst called/officiated games i've ever sat throu...

i never wanna see those refs in a Flyers game again.. EVER...

secondly i hope prongs is back soon.. watching our defensive game without him is hard to stand...

so many turn overs and general lack of dominance down low..its like right now there is no fear in the opposition for getting into our end..

lastly can someone please show Carter were the NET is..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Right there with you. I've been against Carcillo occupying that spot ever since it was suggested.

Man, we need to sort the whole top 9 thing out....our lines feel so jumbled, and lacking in chemistry right now.