HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres

Old
10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
RangerBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
He kissed him on the visor not on the lips.
Depends on your perspective.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:00 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I have to completely 200% disagree with you on that. One individual game doesn't always paint an accurate picture of a player.

He had a few beauties last season, and he showed quite a flashes of slick playmaking ability this pre-season. He's never going to get by on his skill alone, but he's absolutely got an above average combination of determination and skill. I'm looking for a big year from him. I think he's capable of ~25 goals, ~30 assists this year. Especially playing with Dubinsky and Anisimov who look considerably faster, stronger, and most importantly more definitive with and without the puck than last season. It's incredibly early, but they seem to have really bought into Tortorella's aggressive pressure system, so far.
I don't see him putting up those kinds of numbers, and if he does I would be pretty surprised. Again, I didn't mean to say he has no skill at all. I just think that his determination and drive is the key reason for most of his success, not his skill. And that's fine. I'd rather a player have drive and limited skill rather than the other way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
the kiss was on the visor.......I thought it was a great moment....let the homophobes have a field day with it.... it doesnt matter.
If it was on the visor then it's a little bit less weird, but still a little weird imo, and I'm hardly a homophobe. Not even close.

When Dubinsky did it to Jagr after Cherepanov passed away I thought that was really touching and understandable. Kissing a guy for scoring a goal though? Come on

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys, get over the kiss thing. No one cares, so drop it.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't see him putting up those kinds of numbers, and if he does I would be pretty surprised. Again, I didn't mean to say he has no skill at all. I just think that his determination and drive is the key reason for most of his success, not his skill. And that's fine. I'd rather a player have drive and limited skill rather than the other way around

If it was on the visor then it's a little bit less weird, but still a little weird imo, and I'm hardly a homophobe. Not even close.

When Dubinsky did it to Jagr after Cherepanov passed away I thought that was really touching and understandable. Kissing a guy for scoring a goal though? Come on
it wasnt just a goal it was a special night for the kid.... i would have kissed his mom instead ..and not on the visor!

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:08 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sorry, kiss and make up?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Didn't he kiss the visor?
WTF???

Why is everyone so obsessed with this, LOL???

Dubi's an emotional guy. I could care less what his prefrences are.

I'm just glad he got off to a good start tonight.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:14 AM
XLJ

The best part of the rangers so far is the secondary scoring. They had other lines instead of just Gaborik's line score goals in the preseason and now in the first game. Hopefully they keep it up. Last year if Gaborik's line didn't score they didn't win. They also look faster than they did last season.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:20 AM
broadwayblue

Great stuff tonight. Who cares about the Dubi kiss...props to him for having some emotion. Congrats to Stepan for showing he belongs.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:27 AM
RangerBlues

Quote:

Absolutely not! It's hysterical! One guy has it as their avatar.

You know it will be played everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:28 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I think we need to forget about the kiss, and concentrate on that horrible "Go, Go, Power Rangers" bit that DZ and Boyle did. That, was embarrassing.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:29 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
He is a third line player but no skill is harsh. Scoring 22 and 19 goals takes some level of skill.
You need to be very skilled to get in the NHL, unless you're Derek Boogaard

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:31 AM
devsfan4life

Hey guys just wanted to share my congrats to Stepan. I like that kid and thats a great opening night he'll never forget. Cool stuff.

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:32 AM
morffin

By the way I thought it was against HF policy to put the score in the thread title............ so not to spoil the game for people who recorded it.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:34 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
By the way I thought it was against HF policy to put the score in the thread title............ so not to spoil the game for people who recorded it.
I was going to mention it...I think that is/was sort of the unofficial policy. At least not until after midnight on gameday. A lot of times when I am watching on delay I still like to head into the GDT to see the conversation as I'm watching along. Obviously that's not possible when the score is a spoiler on the front page.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:43 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ya but when you add to that his favorite TV show is Glee…… well?

Great game for Stepan….. in the Ranger history books.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:10 AM
ohbaby

I was impressed early on in the game by Artem Anisimov. I have said he's no better than a third line checking center, and I still feel this way, but I was still impressed by his forechecking efforts and capitalizing on the forced mistakes. He's a great fit between Dubi n Cally. This line will create havoc for opposing teams. Love how Cally went hard to the net finding AA's rebound and in the process bowled over Miller. That play alone, I think sums up the effectiveness this line will have this season. Looking forward to watching this line develop into a very difficult line to play against. This is in effect our checking line, and will likely get alot of time vs opposing top lines.

Stepan had a dream opening night. Talented rookie got lucky and cashed in on his linemates hard work. I also see great things from this line. Avery, and Feds compliment Stepan well. This is only the start for Stepan. This kid has improved each and every day he has been here, and I see no reason this won't continue. Inpart, Avery n Feds are hard working, and have some talent of their own. We have seen Avery dominate a game and playing with a future first line star center will only be an explosive mixture. Avery has a dynamite shot, on top of everything else he brings. I see him scoring 20+ goals easy this season if he sticks with Stepan.

With the top line expected to produce, the Rangers outlook this year looks promising in scoring goals. All in all a great start to the season.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Rangerfans

Great game. Glad for the win. But I think we should relax on the Stepan hype. Yes, he played a lovely -20 minutes of hockey.

Let's ease up on the comparisons. It's like when Chad Johnson made his Ranger debut and people were putting him on par with Hank.

Enjoy it. But seriously...wow.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:49 AM
JCProdigy

Five things to take away from tonight:

1. Rangers secondary scoring had a nice start to the season.

2. Stepan is a player.

3. Stepan's mom is a MIL... and his sister....damn, it was worth it to see him score just for the cut scenes to them ;-)

4. I think Avery could benefit the most from playing with Stepan. He seemed invigorated playing on that line.

5. I only hope Dubinsky has a reason to kiss a teammate every game night for the rest of the season.

Oh and NHL gamecenter online now has both teams' broadcasts available to see...major addition this year!

JCProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Derek Stepan is on pace to break all of Gretzky's goal records. If he keeps this pace up for 5 years, he'll have broken it.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:28 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
1) Stepan is a MONSTER.
2) Avery was amazing, especially setting up Stepan's hatty.
3) Eminger can go jump off a cliff
4) Boyle...still an oversized idiot...should jump off trying to save eminger

Some sloppy plays here and there in the 3rd but overall great season opener.Now if we can go into MSG 2-0 on friday it's going to sound INSANE.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 02:44 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Great game. Glad for the win. But I think we should relax on the Stepan hype. Yes, he played a lovely -20 minutes of hockey.

Let's ease up on the comparisons. It's like when Chad Johnson made his Ranger debut and people were putting him on par with Hank.

Enjoy it. But seriously...wow.
Wow? Wow you say? Let me see if I get this,.... We wait anxiously for months for our first hockey game of the season and our star rookie scores a hatrick, and you can't get excited about the future? About the possibilities? I don't mean to single you out, but I think if you can't get excited for the Rangers from what you saw on opening night,.... Then when can you? I think you guys should ease up, unless you waited the entire summer to post sarcasm.

Can we not enjoy the win, the possibilities, the prospects of a rookie of the year, ,... just for one game without the sarcasm? Is that Possible?

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 03:05 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Hell yeah!! What a night 4 Derek!!!

I also liked the Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan line. Avery´s pass was ****in` sick!!! Sauer looked pretty solid in his NHL-Debut. Eminger has to be sent down to HF and be replaced by Vtank or McDonagh. Took stupid penalties und looked some kinda lost out there. Hank didnt looked so comfortable as usual imo.

@ Callahan and no skill --> i had to laugh so damn loud. You can´t be serious dude!

In the end a good season-start 4 us and every Blueshirts-Fanatic

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Stamkos 2 goals tonight...
What?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Ola

Quote:
My boy Avery reminding people not to overlook his skill as an actual hockey player.
We need him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
WTF???

Why is everyone so obsessed with this, LOL???

Dubi's an emotional guy. I could care less what his prefrences are.

I'm just glad he got off to a good start tonight.
As hockey is probably the most homophobic sport there is and the fans are probably ahead of them, who's really that surprised?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote