HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres

Old
10-10-2010, 04:58 AM
jniklast

vCash: 500
Good win, I especially like how we made it difficult for Buffalo to clear their zone. We got a lot of "second chances" that way.

Lundqvist had an ok game. It would have been a great game if he didn't let in those two rather weak Leopold goals.

I didn't really like the defense though. They didn't look too great under pressure, 32 shots in the 2nd and 3rd are just too much. The DZ Girardi pairing was the best on both ends last night, I was a bit disappointed by the Staal Rozy pairing (and it was both who were struggling, not just Rozy) but I'm sure they'll rebound. Sauer played decent, especially considering he had Eminger as his partner. Eminger didn't really have a horrible game, but he generally takes too many stupid penalties, makes quite a few mistakes and just doesn't seem to have any special qualities that could make up for that. I think he should be replaced rather sooner than later, and if McD and Valentenko aren't ready, then Sather should try to get a veteran via trade or waiver.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I was impressed early on in the game by Artem Anisimov. I have said he's no better than a third line checking center, and I still feel this way, but I was still impressed by his forechecking efforts and capitalizing on the forced mistakes. He's a great fit between Dubi n Cally. This line will create havoc for opposing teams. Love how Cally went hard to the net finding AA's rebound and in the process bowled over Miller. That play alone, I think sums up the effectiveness this line will have this season. Looking forward to watching this line develop into a very difficult line to play against. This is in effect our checking line, and will likely get alot of time vs opposing top lines.
I think, and maybe even more importantly -- that line showed very good chemistry.

Anisimov is what he is at that stage. If, and I mean if, he gets a chance to get more involved -- he will develop and he will become a very solid 2nd lineer/outstanding 3rd lineer.

He got the hockey in him, he just needs a chance to apply it at a higher level, when he gets that, everything else will come by itself.

I do agree however that he looks a little faster, he have definitely had a good summer.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Ola

If Dubi was gay and had the guts to go public it would be the most pleasant suprise for this team since we drafted Lundqvist, or heck, won the cup.

No doubt, 5% or 10% of these guys like guys more then womens. Why on earth, 2010, october at that, do they have to hide it???

Old
10-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Depends on your perspective.
I'm pretty sure it was the visor, atleast I hope it was. This is the 2nd Ranger I have seen Dubinsky kiss. Zherdev and now Stepan.
Anyway very promising start for the team but it was just one game and Buff did play lastnight.

Lets keep it going to the Island!

LGR!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Dubi was gay and had the guts to go public it would be the most pleasant suprise for this team since we drafted Lundqvist, or heck, won the cup.

No doubt, 5% or 10% of these guys like guys more then womens. Why on earth, 2010, october at that, do they have to hide it???
I don't think he's gay man. Gay in the super happy sense maybe.

As far as what your saying I don't think it would fly if one of those guys who likes girls decided to give someone a big wet one during a game on TV. I'm not about gay bashing but lets keep some things in the privacy of our own homes, famous or not.

I still say Valiquette was the last "gay" Ranger we have watched.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:27 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Soccer (fotball) players show their emosions all the time. What's the big deal?

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Soccer (fotball) players show their emosions all the time. What's the big deal?
I've not made one remark about anyone showing their emotions. Just put a twist on a subject.

Old
10-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He keeps playing like last night and I'll kiss him too.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

You know Christ looked good last night too. That line made some quality chances. Gabby and Christ do show some of last years chemistry has carried over perhaps....really good news

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

As someone who has been skeptical of this team's playoff chances, I will say that if Girardi and MDZ have established new levels of play that they showed last night, Sauer shows that he can seamlessly transition to the NHL, and the 2nd and 3rd line provide efforts like last night on a consistent basis, this team will make the playoffs.

Last edited by jas: 10-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:47 AM
BobSantos

On 'THE KISS': I thought it was like a father showing a kid affection. Dubi the vet saying to the kid, 'way to go'.

Otherwise lmao at the "controversy".

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:49 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I saw a lot of good things in this game -- forward backchecking, aggressive forechecking, great cycling, etc.

But that were the forwards.

The defense still looks slow and lost coverage. It's obvious Roszival isnt healthy.

Drury coming back will help this team in that he will center a very good 4th line with Prust and Kennedy. Plus, Stepan is an NCAA kid -- he might get tired as the season progresses. Drury is a great guy to slide into any of the other 3 center positions

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:13 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
That was the lucky part. But yes, it was a really nice redirection. Nice heads-up play.
That wasn't luck, if that was any other Ranger last year (besides Gaborik), they would've missed the net.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
FOXHOUND*

Dubi has a girlfriend - a hot one as well. Can we move past this? STEPAN WITH THE HATTY!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:30 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

I still say Valiquette was the last "gay" Ranger we have watched.
or maybe Gomez

look, all queer(not in a bad way. i'm using it instead of saying gay.) things aside...

we have a player on our hands, guys. i know it's early and this happened to DZ last season but i saw really good things from him. he forechecked, he made good plays to recover the puck...flashes of it, really, but he's a rookie. straight out of his 2nd year of college. in a few years, this kid is gonna have a chokehold on our hearts. in fact, he's already gotten to some of you, myself included. when he gets used to this league(couple years...Kreider's 2nd season, Step's 3rd, most likely), we will have our number 1 center. and we will have 2 scoring lines (pending the keeping of Frolov, Grachev's development and if MZA can grasp the NA hockey concept well enough...) we can have two legitimate scoring lines in the next few years. that excites the hell out of me.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:44 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
1) Stepan is a MONSTER.
2) Avery was amazing, especially setting up Stepan's hatty.
3) Eminger can go jump off a cliff
4) Boyle...still an oversized idiot...should jump off trying to save eminger

Some sloppy plays here and there in the 3rd but overall great season opener.Now if we can go into MSG 2-0 on friday it's going to sound INSANE.
I lol'd, great stuff.

Happy for D-Step, but I'll need to see a few more games before I start putting him on a pedestal. The guy's really got his head screwed on properly which doesn't hurt at all.

And his sister, wow.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:44 AM
BobSantos

Apparently the Devils forum posters are using the KISS as a way to make themselves feel better. Oh, and they're having impure thoughts about Stepan's near female relatives... sickos.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Apparently the Devils forum posters are using the KISS as a way to make themselves feel better. Oh, and they're having impure thoughts about Stepan's near female relatives... sickos.
his mom IS quite a looker hahaha she's gotta be no older than 40.

but that's really childish...trying to cushion a 7-2 blowout by mocking something a Rangers player did.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Garv23

Nice win for the boys last night. I loved the constant forecheck and huge congrats to Stepan for the hatty!

Cmon, the infatuation with Dubi kissing Stepan's helmet is pretty annoying. It's was like a big brother congratulating a little brother for God's sake. To be honest, I'm surprised it's an issue with all the "mancrush" crap around these boards. That's just something I'll never get.

Now that whole Power Ranger thing? That's a different story...

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Not much to add. It's just one game but it's a good start against a good team on the road. The Rangers scored five goals not including the ENG and Gaborik didn't have one of them. He scored 20% of the Rangers goals last season.

Staal,Girardi and MDZ played nearly 24 minutes. All of the young players upfront played well. Not much to complain about.

Drury will back on Friday. Assign White to Hartford. Who sits? Boogaard?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
On the topic of Dubi, I thought he looked really good at LW tonight. I've really been pulling for the Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan line to have a good year.

If we can get 3 scoring lines, with Lundqvist in net, we may very well be a playoff team.

Only guys I would have liked to see more from were Prust, Eminger, and Lundqvist.

So the ominous question; Drury sure as hell isn't gonna be a healthy scratch when he comes back. So who does he force out?

Scenario 1; Christensen goes out, Stepan to 1st line, Drury to 3rd line
Scenario 2; Drury replaces Boyle as 4th line center
Scenario 3; Drury replaces Fedotenko at 3rd line RW??? (My idea)

I think we can rule out Stepan being sent down at this point.

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Stepan-Fedotenko
Kennedy-Drury-Prust

Thats my lineup. Drury gets heavy PK minutes, and some PP time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
AJRanger

I'd just slide Drury into Boyle's slot. You really can't break up or change any of the top-3 lines they way they're all playing at the moment. Stepan seems to fit with Aves and Fedotenko, so I wouldn't even shift him to the top line at the moment.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:12 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I'd just slide Drury into Boyle's slot. You really can't break up or change any of the top-3 lines they way they're all playing at the moment. Stepan seems to fit with Aves and Fedotenko, so I wouldn't even shift him to the top line at the moment.
For the time being

Frolov - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - Fedotenko
Prust - Drury - Boyle/Boogaard
Kennedy

Boogaard is really terrible. He shouldn't be playing in games like last night where the other team has no heavyweight.

White to Hartford. If Prospal is back sooner than expected, he rotates with Christensen in the #1C spot. We looked great last night, but it's a given that the lines will be rotated within a few weeks. If Prospal is done, I think Stepan ends up between Frolov and Gaborik within a couple months.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:25 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

My thoughts:

Stepan was great and I'm happy for him. I just hope this doesn't lead to huge expectations and pressure from fans/management. Keep him on the 3rd line with Aves and Feds. They play well together.

Lundqvist made a ton of saves but... what gives? Is he near-sighted or something? Seems like the two long distance goals should've been really easy to stop. I love the guy, but I didn't get those two.

Gab/Fro/Step weren't the dominant line tonight and we won 6-3. Imagine if they were.

Emminger is useless.

Sauer was just fine.

"The kiss". Who cares? Clearly, Dubi was ecstatic for the kid. Sometimes we do weird crap when we're absolutely elated. If this is what Devils fans are talking about after their start, then I guess they're in for a long season.

Fedotenko is playing like this year's bargain basement Prospal. I don't care if he was a -17 elsewhere because that coach wasn't using him right.

Staal, Girardi, Rozy, MDZ - if they play like this all year we can calm down the "Vet D" hunt because we already have them.

Around the NHL:

I feel bad for the Isles. That Tavares "hit" looked like it should've have done anything to anyone.
$100 Million Dollar Goon. LOL. Boogaard's contract is looking better.
Love watching the Oilers play.
I wish there were afternoon/morning hockey every day.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:36 AM
ap215

Way to go Broadway Blue & welcome to the NHL Derek Stepan.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote